Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Varik wrote: »
    Netflix publish the connection to each respective isp,

Where's this information published please?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Where's this information published please?

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

In fairness there is a problem with Netflix on Virgin. They have acknowledged there's a problem. There's a large thread on the Virgin forum.

For a lot of Virgin users, Netflix is unwatchable.

Avada wrote: »
    Is that a wired speed test? If it is, I'd say you have a fault somewhere. Also, regarding Netflix, I've never had an issue with it on Virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

/\/ollog wrote: »

Wow,

My ISP is top of the pile for Netflix?

Work's just fine when torrenting Netflix seasons alright....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

In fairness there is a problem with Netflix on Virgin. They have acknowledge there's a problem. There's a large thread on the Virgin forum.

For a lot of Virgin users, Netflix is unwatchable.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. There is still an issue with that speedtest though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Varik wrote: »
    Netflix publish the connection to each respective isp, and Virgin don't look bad until you realize that they have a connection that's on average 5-10 times faster than the average eir/vodafone/ect customer but still are in the middle of the pack for nexflix speeds.

Eir 3.15Mbps
    Virgin 3.08Mbps

It is a lot more complicated that that though. Netflix HD streams are typically only 3 to 4Mb/s, so their speed ranking won't typically show the true speed of each ISP as Netflix aren't really pushing higher speed speeds.

If you look at the Netflix rankings for even the fastest services in Europe, in Sweden etc. (FTTH) you will see the speeds still are only a little higher around 4Mb/s.

These speed indexes are more of a reflection of the quality of peering with Netflix then a real indication of end user ISP speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

bk wrote:
    These speed indexes are more of a reflection of the quality of peering with Netflix then a real indication of end user ISP speed.

Quality of WiFi on the supplied cpes might come into it too!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jd wrote: »
    Quality of WiFi on the supplied cpes might come into it too!

Depends on how the speed tests are done, for instance it shouldn't effect Samknows box speed tests as the test box is wired directly into the router.

Sam Knows likely have by far the most realistic view of ISP speeds. The test box is hard wired and runs speed tests at least once an hour, every hour. Much more accurate then people running speedtest.net, etc. every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

All they are measuring is the speed that they stream to the customer.
    The Netflix ISP Speed Index lists the average prime time bitrate for Netflix content streamed to Netflix members during a particular month

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

3 tli vans were parked outside my house today, they were checking the small grey electrical boxes outside some of the houses, anyone know why they would be looking at the boxes? Hopefully they will begin with putting down the fibre :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

fr0zen wrote: »
    3 tli vans were parked outside my house today, they were checking the small grey electrical boxes outside some of the houses, anyone know why they would be looking at the boxes? Hopefully they will begin with putting down the fibre :D

They don't show any broadband work on their site, mainly power related projects.

I'm not saying they're not doing Siro work, but there is one way to be sure ... go and ask 'em. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

MMFITWGDV wrote:
    They don't show any broadband work on their site, mainly power related projects.

MMFITWGDV wrote:
    I'm not saying they're not doing Siro work, but there is one way to be sure ... go and ask 'em.

I guess I should have included that I'm living in Carrigaline ^

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

That happened in dundalk too, Sierra networks came around surveying the esb mini pillars and opening manholes. They came back a few months later and pumped in the fibre to all the mini pillars in my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

Mgit wrote: »
    That happened in dundalk too, Sierra networks came around surveying the esb mini pillars and opening manholes. They came back a few months later and pumped in the fibre to all the mini pillars in my estate.
    eir provided FTTH to those premises with ducted access across the road from me at Ashbrook in Letterkenny over the past few months. Despite repeated attempts to get information about provisioning premises like mine, which were fed efibre via pole drops from the nearby cab, no positive info was forthcoming.
    Siro are now flat out in Letterkenny. I'm delighted to see them 100 meters down the road from me at Derryveagh Avenue installing new civils for the provisioning of FTTH. I expect them to be working in Ashbrook over the next couple of days. Time now to move back to vodafone:D

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Do not go back to Vodafone just yet. They are still the only ISP offering the service presently and are still a bit too expensive. Wait a bit longer, as other ISP's are coming on board with SIRO, thus competition. So potentially price drops.

Digiweb I know are one of these ISP's. As a existing customer of them they have told me they will offer packages as SIRO rolls out to more and more towns in phase 1 and I have registered interest with them for FTTH when SIRO rollout here in Naas, Kildare.

cunnijo wrote: »
    Do not go back to Vodafone just yet. They are still the only ISP offering the service presently and are still a bit too expensive. Wait a bit longer, as other ISP's are coming on board with SIRO, thus competition. So potentially price drops.

Digiweb I know are one of these ISP's. As a existing customer of them they have told me they will offer packages as SIRO rolls out to more and more towns in phase 1 and I have registered interest with them for FTTH when SIRO rollout here in Naas, Kildare.
    My preference would have been to remain with eir. I've just found them easy to deal with over the past while, despite my annoyance at being by-passed by them for FTTH. Siro will be running the new sub-duct to our estate on Monday and I guess it will take several months for the service to go live. The rapid pace of the roll-out by the KN lads has to be seen to be believed. Not as simple as the eir one as they are installing new junction boxes alongside the existing mini-pillars but their experience now is beginning to pay dividends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

PeadarB wrote: »
    e. The rapid pace of the roll-out by the KN lads has to be seen to be believed. Not as simple as the eir one as they are installing new junction boxes alongside the existing mini-pillars but their experience now is beginning to pay dividends.
    This is exactly what we need to hear, so the rollout really gets going.

Tell them to come into town for me PeadarB.

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Tell them to come into town for me PeadarB.
    They're on the way. Clearing out out manhole to the mini-cab outside my house as we speak and getting ready to install the new fibre manhole. Looking at FTTH now in the very near future - roll on Siro!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yesterday on the Avenue Road in Dundalk I saw Siro workers taking down all the election posters on the poles where they have their coils of fibre cables. It struck me when I saw the posters going up that this would probably happen. They would be in the way of any further work on those poles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jg3114

siro I already available in Carrigaline as is EIR's FTTH I currently have it but its only by herons wood and I believe a few surrounding towns. I know my mate who lives by Kilmoney on the other side of Carrigaline had workers checking electric box's just like you where saying about 1 month ago but he hasnt heard anything since. I also know over by Waterpark all the wires are up on the phone line poles and the same by Kilnagleary business park so I would say in the next few months Eir will have it in most of Carrigaline and siro the same.

Hope this helped abit!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jg3114

siro I already available in Carrigaline as is EIR's FTTH I currently have it but its only by herons wood and I believe a few surrounding estates. I know my mate who lives by Kilmoney on the other side of Carrigaline had workers checking electric box's just like you where saying about 1 month ago but he hasnt heard anything since. I also know over by Waterpark all the wires are up on the phone line poles and the same by Kilnagleary business park so I would say in the next few months Eir will have it in most of Carrigaline and siro the same.

Hope this helped abit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JPC2006

Any idea when this will be coming to Drogheda ?

Also how far out of the town will get this service ? Do u need to be in town to avail of it or will surrounding suburbs get the service

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

It could be some time before it reaches areas like Drogheda or my own area Naas, both of which are in phase 1. Let's face it the initial 10 towns are not even near completion and some of these haven't even started yet.

As for the second part from what I read that urban areas i.e. towns will be covered. As for the outskirts of these towns we can live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

After spending several minutes on hold to SIRO and giving up - I hope their BB service isn't as bad as their customer service.

The reason I was calling them was to find out how they service domestic houses, ie is it through the existing telephone incoming cable (which is at the back of my house), or is it from the street side where the existing ESB service is running? Would like to know pretty soon as currently rewiring the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

After spending several minutes on hold to SIRO and giving up - I hope their BB service isn't as bad as their customer service.

The reason I was calling them was to find out how they service domestic houses, ie is it through the existing telephone incoming cable (which is at the back of my house), or is it from the street side where the existing ESB service is running? Would like to know pretty soon as currently rewiring the house...

You could have read the thread ;)

Its got ZERO to do with your phone line. It should follow your mains feed to the premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

ED E wrote: »
    You could have read the thread ;)

Its got ZERO to do with your phone line. It should follow your mains feed to the premises.

TL DR! Cheers anyhow :-)

Also, SIRO are wholesalers, they don't really deal with customers, so they won't really need phone support.
    You'll be calling Vodafone, sky, etc. like you already do with Open Eir's services.

Our FTTC is due in the next couple of months, supposed to have been connected My last year, typical Eir !

Looking at the map it's the same O'l story, the larger Towns will be connected first, given the fact the larger towns have much more choice already would it not make more sense to connect the smaller places first ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Our FTTC is due in the next couple of months, supposed to have been connected My last year, typical Eir !

Looking at the map it's the same O'l story, the larger Towns will be connected first, given the fact the larger towns have much more choice already would it not make more sense to connect the smaller places first ?
    Not for a commercial company looking to make a profit I'd imagine.

Easier to target underserviced areas in larger urban centres first.

Advertisement