Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Our FTTC is due in the next couple of months, supposed to have been connected My last year, typical Eir !

This isn't a thread about Eir, it's about Siro a joint venture between ESB and Vodafone.
    given the fact the larger towns have much more choice already would it not make more sense to connect the smaller places first ?

I always laugh at rural dwellers thinking they know how to run a telecoms company better than the current owners do. "Oh, Eir are running their company into the ground because they haven't rolled out fibre to my rural dwelling yet."

No, that wouldn't make more sense because they're not charity organizations. They're a business that needs to turn over a profit or else they'll cease being a business.

There's no money to be made in rural areas. Eir's urban customers actually subsidise the rural one. Rural customers are a burden, Eir would financially better off without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

There's no money to be made in rural areas. Eir's urban customers actually subsidise the rural one. Rural customers are a burden, Eir would financially better off without them.
    Some rural areas, but not all. Otherwise, Eir wouldn't be rushing out their FTTH plan to rural areas, and they'd be leaving it to the NBP, which kind of raises the question why Siro aren't doing it as well. It wouldn't be any harder for ESB to bring fibre to many rural homes as it is for Eir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

plodder wrote: »
    Some rural areas, but not all. Otherwise, Eir wouldn't be rushing out their FTTH plan to rural areas, and they'd be leaving it to the NBP, which kind of raises the question why Siro aren't doing it as well. It wouldn't be any harder for ESB to bring fibre to many rural homes as it is for Eir.

It's a land grab.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Blanket statements like that used to be true. With so many services being bundled together, lots of rural areas must now be a commercial proposition for a company that can look to the long run.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

KOR101 wrote: »
    Blanket statements like that used to be true. With so many services being bundled together, lots of rural areas must now be a commercial proposition for a company that can look to the long run.

agreed, I get the feeling Eir's sudden interest in providing fibre to rural areas is a mix of many things, FTTH is being rolled out not just to provide us with better broadband but also in the hope that customers take up Eir Vision and Eir Mobile etc as part of an overall package. Eir can now take on Sky for tv in areas which up to now have been dominated by the very expensive Sky TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Open Eir are announcing plans is all, and all that does is rule those areas out for NBP. They're trying to make NBP less financially cute-looking for SIRO and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Open Eir are announcing plans is all, and all that does is rule those areas out for NBP. They're trying to make NBP less financially cute-looking for SIRO and others.

I am grateful they have informed us of their immediate plans.

I would like that announcement even more if I was one of those included in the plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Work on this started in Sligo town last week according to a local paper.
    In Sligo town however, things are about to get a whole lot faster with the advent of SIRO high-speed broadband.

"I liaise very closely with the council on SIRO - Sligo is going to be the first town in Connacht with 'fibre-lit' as they call it.

"From the first of March the first of that fibre will go into Cranmore and Tonaphubble. SIRO are not a provider, they're a carrier. It will be available to Vodafone customers - they're the first company to have a contract with SIRO. From the information I got from them in the last couple of days, by the end of this year, 90 per cent of Sligo city will have access to fibre-optic and the remainder within the first quarter of 2017," he says.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Work on this started in Sligo town last week according to a local paper.
    .... 90 per cent of Sligo city will have access to fibre-optic and the remainder within the first quarter of 2017," he says.

I wasn't aware Sligo was a city :D

Apparently the local paper says so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jg3114

At this stage I have more faith in SIRO than EIR I live inc Carrigaline the first of 3 towns in Ireland to get FTTH there is roughly 7000 homes in Carrigaline... 9 months after the launch date provided last year there are 600 homes connected... for a our professors in maths out there thats less than 10% of homes.. and in this new "release" they said 300 further homes in Carrigaline... Totaling 900 of 7000 homes in the village... Now if you know of Carrigaline you will know 90% of it is compiled of estates in decent condition however 90% of them are being ignored..

Siro on the other hand.. While they are blocking roads left right and center which is abit annoying they have 80% of the lines hung to cover Carrigaline in FTTH and even on the outer reaches by the industrial estates just outside the town where done a few weeks ago... So SIRO who where 100% open about being behind EIR at the time last year and now in terms of infrastructure are FAR ahead of EIR... Eir is just trying to put their stamp on as many towns as they can so it looks more impressive as opposed to facilitating the local area.

Just my 2 pence on it. I know of many other towns who "have had it rolled out" they pick the estate what was build recently and easier to install and just do that one estate..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

jg3114 wrote: »
    At this stage I have more faith in SIRO than EIR I live inc Carrigaline the first of 3 towns in Ireland to get FTTH there is roughly 7000 homes in Carrigaline... 9 months after the launch date provided last year there are 600 homes connected... for a our professors in maths out there thats less than 10% of homes.. and in this new "release" they said 300 further homes in Carrigaline... Totaling 900 of 7000 homes in the village... Now if you know of Carrigaline you will know 90% of it is compiled of estates in decent condition however 90% of them are being ignored..

Siro on the other hand.. While they are blocking roads left right and center which is abit annoying they have 80% of the lines hung to cover Carrigaline in FTTH and even on the outer reaches by the industrial estates just outside the town where done a few weeks ago... So SIRO who where 100% open about being behind EIR at the time last year and now in terms of infrastructure are FAR ahead of EIR... Eir is just trying to put their stamp on as many towns as they can so it looks more impressive as opposed to facilitating the local area.

Just my 2 pence on it. I know of many other towns who "have had it rolled out" they pick the estate what was build recently and easier to install and just do that one estate..

What you're ignoring is OpenEirs staff and contractors are already busy, they've rolled out almost 1.6 million premises for FTTC, mostly within the last two years. A lot of fiber and general works are involved in that, consuming man hours. Unless theres a large HV buildout going on that I'm not aware of SIRO have a lot less on their plate.

Once eir change focus they could really get moving. And reportedly all their efforts were focused recently on cutting hedges before March started and they're banned from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

jg3114 wrote: »

You might be right about Eir's progress.

However, Sligo is one of SIRO's first 10 towns which were promised fibre in the autumn of 2015.

At the company's official launch this morning, Siro, as the merged company between ESB and Vodafone is now called, revealed that Cavan, Dundalk, Westport, Castlebar, Sligo, Carrigaline, Tralee, Navan, Letterkenny and Wexford will be the first ten towns to receive its special fibre-optic broadband this autumn.

http://www.farmersjournal.ie/esb-and-vodafone-reveal-names-of-the-10-towns-to-receive-broadband-this-autumn-181072/

Siro said that the first 10 towns to recieve their ultra-fast internet – Cavan, Dundalk, Westport, Castlebar, Sligo, Carrigaline, Tralee, Navan, Letterkenny and Wexford – will go live in the autumn.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/careers/2015/05/14/60-tech-jobs-to-be-created-as-esb-and-vodafone-set-up-siro

Now they say finished first quarter 2017.It's proving a lot more difficult than both Eir AND SIRO expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

As mass-debater says, it's a land grab, but it IS also easier for Eir as they have a denser fibre network than Siro. Eir have FTTC cabinets in many small villages already. These cabinets are their beach heads into "one off and ribbon land".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

murphaph wrote: »
    As mass-debater says, it's a land grab, but it IS also easier for Eir as they have a denser fibre network than Siro. Eir have FTTC cabinets in many small villages already. These cabinets are their beach heads into "one off and ribbon land".
    Not sure what you mean by a 'land grab' really. Are you saying they have no intention of following through? They have committed to connecting me by Winter/2016, which presumably means the end of 2016. There should be plenty of evidence of work being done in other places before that.

I don't really get the criticism that Eir are getting, when Siro don't even have plans for rural areas. There is no FTTC where I live, no proper broadband basically at all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not sure what you mean by a 'land grab' really. Are you saying they have no intention of following through? They have committed to connecting me by Winter/2016, which presumably means the end of 2016. There should be plenty of evidence of work being done in other places before that.

I don't really get the criticism that Eir are getting, when Siro don't even have plans for rural areas. There is no FTTC where I live, no proper broadband basically at all.

same situation here, my area is down for Autumn/Winter 2016 so hopefully will see work starting soon! All the hedges in the area were cut very recently, had no idea till reading the announcement last week that hedge cutting could have been the very start of work carried out! A few poles were replaced by KN over the past year as well in the general area.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I didn't criticise them at all. I think Eir have turned a corner. They are not the company they were 15 or even 10 years ago.

I always laugh at rural dwellers thinking they know how to run a telecoms company better than the current owners do. "Oh, Eir are running their company into the ground because they haven't rolled out fibre to my rural dwelling yet."

No, that wouldn't make more sense because they're not charity organizations. They're a business that needs to turn over a profit or else they'll cease being a business.

So you're saying that us "Rural Dwellers" should not be entitled to what is now an essential service as the rest of the population ?

So should we have electricity then ? Or phone ?

So you're saying that us "Rural Dwellers" should not be entitled to what is now an essential service as the rest of the population ?

So should we have electricity then ? Or phone ?

No one is saying that ....... but are saying this is to date a commercial roll out.

What other commercial roll out of service does it fail to compare favourably to?

No one is saying that ....... but are saying this is to date a commercial roll out.

What other commercial roll out of service does it fail to compare favourably to?

Right that's my mistake then, I didn't realise it was commercial , I thought it was both.

Or maybe into my 6th shift my head is melted ! :eek:

Right that's my mistake then, I didn't realise it was commercial , I thought it was both.

Hopefully the NBP will begin soon ..... this will not be commercial.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the NBP will begin soon ..... this will not be commercial.

Well, we're getting FTTC in the next couple of months, they only put the 70 mb cabinets in not the 100 MB the larger towns get but it's nearly a year over due.

Sure up to 70 Mbs will be a big improvement over 6mb (3mb peak time) sadly 20 mbs Upload is a bit lacking in my opinion of course while this will be far better than 250 Kbps up it could be a lot better for uploading to the cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Nah, its the stress of looking at the "fuel" gauge in the Leaf continuously:):)

jca wrote: »
    Nah, its the stress of looking at the "fuel" gauge in the Leaf continuously:):)

Lol, hardly stressful, it's got plenty of range at 120 Kph for 135 Kms with the free work charge point, far less stress on my bank account too ! :D I don't even look at the range meter any more !

Costs about 10 Euro a week when working days or 5 euro's when working nights on night rate leccy all to drive 540 Kms ! :p

thankfully I think things have finally goten to the stage where rural folk require fast broadband as much as those in urban areas. Online services is becoming an essential way to run society such as paying utility bills, online banking, booking a flight, booking a hotel, even restaurant reservations and grocery shopping is all becoming more online over a drive or walk to a physical building and talking to a representative.

It's getting to the stage where a 1mb to 5mb connection just does not cut it anymore never mind trying to run a business using one.

Everyone no matter where they live now desire and require an internet connection that makes all this stuff effortless like switching on a light bulb, not being frustrated waiting on pages to load or loading failing.

At this stage its grossly unfair to say that people living outside Dublin or our other towns dont deserve a working internet connection as we have to become so dependent on using the internet just to live and work. Everyone deserves to have a decent connection and thankfully FTTH is making that become a reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Gonzo wrote: »
    thankfully I think things have finally goten to the stage where rural folk require fast broadband as much as those in urban areas. Online services is becoming an essential way to run society such as paying utility bills, online banking, booking a flight, booking a hotel, even restaurant reservations and grocery shopping is all becoming more online over a drive or walk to a physical building and talking to a representative.

It's getting to the stage where a 1mb to 5mb connection just does not cut it anymore never mind trying to run a business using one.

Everyone no matter where they live now desire and require an internet connection that makes all this stuff effortless like switching on a light bulb, not being frustrated waiting on pages to load or loading failing.

At this stage its grossly unfair to say that people living outside Dublin or our other towns dont deserve a working internet connection as we have to become so dependent on using the internet just to live and work. Everyone deserves to have a decent connection and thankfully FTTH is making that become a reality.

Of course you're right this day and age everyone needs a decent connection but I don't see any provider willing to provide that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

She means land-grab in this way:
    NBP will give lots of money to either open eir or siro, maybe someone else.
    By putting >30mbps connections in areas, open eir can stop that operator from getting into that area with government money, securing their cash-cows.

open eir get criticized because they're a company with a bad record.
    ESB doesn't. Siro is too new to have a bad record, people are hopeful.

Me personally, I like that siro are offering synchronous connections (300/300, and 1g/1g)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Me personally, I like that siro are offering synchronous connections (300/300, and 1g/1g)

Are they? They've shown speeds of 1G Symm but indicated several times that its GPON. Unless they plan on mix contention with a 1:1 offering.

jca wrote: »
    Of course you're right this day and age everyone needs a decent connection but I don't see any provider willing to provide that service.

hopefully Eir are finally gonna make a start on this soon with the first 100,000 rural homes and business wired up to FTTH within the next 12 months with another 200,000 to follow after. It's a good start and for the first time since the introduction of ADSL that many of these areas will see their first upgrade in over 10 years.

Siro on the other hand dont appear to be interested in making any sort of effort to provide to rural locations despite what their promotional video and website claim. They are only going after towns that already have services like FTTC, Virgin Media etc, im not sure all that many people will want to upgrade from their 100mb/360mb services so soon to 1GB, wont make much of a difference except probably cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

A load of Gaeltec Utilities vans around Wexford town today. The Hi-vis vests the men were wearing said they were working on behalf of SIRO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

A load of Gaeltec Utilities vans around Wexford town today. The Hi-vis vests the men were wearing said they were working on behalf of SIRO.
    What part of Wexford Town?

Advertisement