Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

12Phase wrote: »
    It's reasonable to want services to be installed in a non ugly way.

In most cases bad planning results in ducts bot having been laid when road surfaces were redone etc etc.

I can see no issue with the odd reel here and there but this has to be seen to be believed. I'm not usually that fussed by this kind of thing but they are exceptionally ugly. They literally look like car wheels on the poles. It's a big galvanised steel frame with fibre loosely coiled around and a huge junction device / splice box in the middle about the size of an old fashioned ESB meter.

I mean could they not be merged into part of a street lamp design or even a flower basket hung in the way...
    You sure it's not a temporary arrangement until installation is complete?

A photo would help to judge the awfulness of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

plodder wrote: »
    You sure it's not a temporary arrangement until installation is complete?

A photo would help to judge the awfulness of it.

I would hope so! It certainly looks temporary.

It's the kind of thing you'd get away with visually of there isn't the background of a main street.
    The wiring in the centre of Carrigaline generally is pretty ugly looking

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fr0zen

I noticed the same thing just now when walking home, but I think you're blowing things out of proportion, sure they're not the prettiest but they're mounted onto wooden pylons which have wires coming off of them anyway

fr0zen wrote: »
    I noticed the same thing just now when walking home, but I think you're blowing things out of proportion, sure they're not the prettiest but they're mounted onto wooden pylons which have wires coming off of them anyway

They're grand where there is vegetation behind them and they're spread out. It's the way they're on every second or third pole down the main street that looks a bit odd.

I agree though the general wiring and look of Carrigaline's Main Street is really in major need of improvement. A repave and redoing the public lighting and burying the ESB and phone lines is decades overdue.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Most of Carrigaline wasn't cabled because Southcoast TV had so much of the marked lapped up that Cork Multichannel at the time didn't see it being worthwhile.

Only for Southcoast there'd be no SIRO in Carriagaline, funny enough.

• Advertisement

Does the cable even work in Carrigaline?
    It looks like Chorus may have abandoned it during one of their moments of shortsightedness where they thought MMDS was the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Getting siro /Vodafone light speed 350 installed tomorrow along with vodafone TV. I have to say they have the fastest installation I ever had done for any service. I rang yesterday to order and they wanted to install today but I wasn't home so their doing it tomorrow. I came home from work this evening and opened the esb meter bxx and found it full of fibre cable so they blew this in today wen I was at work. Will post some speed tests over the next day or two.

Siro is live in Dundalk in more homes than the website shows. My address says not available on siro.ie but I rang Vodafone and they said it was available and took the order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Mgit wrote: »
    Getting siro /Vodafone light speed 350 installed tomorrow along with vodafone TV. I have to say they have the fastest installation I ever had done for any service. I rang yesterday to order and they wanted to install today but I wasn't home so their doing it tomorrow. I came home from work this evening and opened the esb meter bxx and found it full of fibre cable so they blew this in today wen I was at work. Will post some speed tests over the next day or two.

Siro is live in Dundalk in more homes than the website shows. My address says not available on siro.ie but I rang Vodafone and they said it was available and took the order.
    Shaking my head in disbelief at that. Any flyer through the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 imass

Did you got install?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I speak for everyone on this forum when I say. You lucky git!

Please post some ping tests if you don't mind as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Yes, some ping tests all around would be nice. I.E Ireland, Uk Germany, France etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

you jammy sod Mgit, happy for you hopefully all goes well and you get great speeds ... green with envy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Mgit - Has the ESB cut your electricity where you live recently? We had the KN lads installing cables here a few months ago, but Vodafone say it's not available at my address yet. The electricity in our area is going to be out one of the days next week and I'm hoping it has something to do with SIRO.

sorry never got email notification of replies. Yes got install today and have to say vodafone have been super so far between the guys installing today, and tech support when i called this evening with a tv query.

Theres a terminal box installed on side of house next to esb meter box and then they drilled through the wall into the garage and put the fibre terminal unit inside backing onto the outside box. I ran a cat5 cable from there to attic where i have a network switch with network ports around house connected to.

I asked them how they got the fibre through the duct from the esb mini pillar into the meter box and they said they used a long rod. They said all point road, Medebawn, Tom bellew avenue, belfry gardens etc are live. Apparently there is difficulty installing in belfry because the ducts are blocked for some house going from esb mini pillar to the house.

The best speedtest i'm getting is around 391Mb/s down and 77Mb/s up. See attached. Its not the same speed up and down as I thought, they said upload is 20% of the download speed you go for. Getting about 150Mb/s on the 5GHz wifi and about 80 on the 2.4GHz wifi. I went for the 350Mb/s package. TV also seems impressive and is a very responsive menu compared to sky.

No flyer through door about availability. I just happened to ring asking when it would be available.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Mgit - Has the ESB cut your electricity where you live recently? We had the KN lads installing cables here a few months ago, but Vodafone say it's not available at my address yet. The electricity in our area is going to be out one of the days next week and I'm hoping it has something to do with SIRO.

Yes had a few power outages in last 6 months but none since they blew the fibre into mini pillars in estate a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Theres a terminal box installed on side of house next to esb meter box and then they drilled through the wall into the garage and put the fibre terminal unit inside backing onto the outside box.

Is that piece of fibre running from the meter box to the terminal box in a publicly visible/accessible area?

It is just asking to be snipped at both ends by some bad ba$tard. :(

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Is that piece of fibre running from the meter box to the terminal box in a publicly visible/accessible area?

It is just asking to be snipped at both ends by some bad ba$tard. :(

Yes and I asked him to try and put the fibre box right up to meter box to stop that or put it inside and he said that he couldn't. He said Esb regs make them put it outside. Told me they monitor the outside boxes remotely and if bb goes offline they will know before customer calls and go to your house and fix without you being home.
    Nothing to stop someone snipping power cable in meter box or gas pipe either though, if it happens Im sure they would use steel conduit the next time.

some more speedtests from around europe and one from Boston USA

Ping bit to hi for a fiber around 1ms in Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

imass wrote: »
    Ping bit to hi for a fiber around 1ms in Ireland!

I'm not sure who you have your internet with, but no ISP on the planet will give you a 1ms ping within 20 miles of your house.

10-20 is standard for servers in Ireland, 20-30 to the UK, and 30-50 to Germany. Around 100 is standard for US.

In Ireland maximum 5 ms

Or less I getting with efiber 9ms in UK 18ms
    Something still not right!

In Ireland maximum 5 ms

Maybe my internet routes thru London cause I got 405Mb/s from London and less to dub for some reason. It feels very snappy browsing but I also was suprised ping wasn't lower

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

In Ireland maximum 5 ms

I'm not sure who you have your internet with, but no ISP on the planet will give you a 1ms ping within 20 miles of your house.

10-20 is standard for servers in Ireland, 20-30 to the UK, and 30-50 to Germany. Around 100 is standard for US.

You can see really low pings if you're lucky with the next few hops, I get 7-9 to anywhere in Dublin, HEANET users directly connected will see 2-3ms to the usual suspects. 1ms to anywhere is rare reallt just because of NAT and border routing.

He's getting 11ms which is way below human perception, you can jog on if.you think you have any reason to complain about that imass.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

looks like a nice tidy install to .. fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭lilywhitearmy

Signed up for Siro in Dundalk tonight. Just went for the 150mb as it's only 2 euro dearer than what I'm currently paying for 24mb and I get 2 free months. I really can't see myself needing any faster than 150mb anyway! The fibre box is less than 20 metres from the house too :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Signed up for Siro in Dundalk tonight. Just went for the 150mb as it's only 2 euro dearer than what I'm currently paying for 24mb and I get 2 free months. I really can't see myself needing any faster than 150mb anyway! The fibre box is less than 20 metres from the house too :D

The difference between 24Mb and 150Mb is pretty significant. The difference between 150Mb and even 1Gb isn't anywhere near as noticeable a jump in my opinion and I'm pretty damn impatient.

Line might not be stable yet! Wait couple of days until the connections get stabilised, and then check again if the pings have improved

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Line might not be stable yet! Wait couple of days until the connections get stabilised, and then check again if the pings have improved

That's really a misconception. We don't do DLM here and even of we did it doesn't apply to GPON. The OLT allocates a frequency and the ONT links up, there's no training involved.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    That's really a misconception. We don't do DLM here and even of we did it doesn't apply to GPON. The OLT allocates a frequency and the ONT links up, there's no training involved.

I am just passing on what an engineer has told me during an Efiber installation. I might be mistaking, but i believe the Eircom also use the GPON technology. Am i wrong?

Advertisement