Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    I am just passing on what an engineer has told me during an Efiber installation. I might be mistaking, but i believe the Eircom also use the GPON technology. Am i wrong?

Its a common thing they say. Usually for regular efiber(vdsl) not efiber ultimate(gpon) mostly as an excuse to get out quickly. In some cases of the former a profile is wrong but he should call.to fix that before leaving, not leave it until somebody complains.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

ED E wrote: »
    Its a common thing they say. Usually for regular efiber(vdsl) not efiber ultimate(gpon) mostly as an excuse to get out quickly. In some cases of the former a profile is wrong but he should call.to fix that before leaving, not leave it until somebody complains.

Sigh. And here we are, "the common folks" believing any and all nonsensical thing a so called professional says.. Haha, thank god for internet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Speed test ping isn't exactly accurate, it's generally a few ms lower from a terminal. Have to remember countries like Germany,France and the Netherlands are clustered together also. 20ms to the UK isn't to be sniffed at imo, nor is the sub 100 ping to North America.

The pings to France/NL do look slightly high though. I had 23ms~ or so on ADSL fastpath a couple of years ago to both countries. Maybe it's server related.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 imass

ED E wrote:
    He's getting 11ms which is way below human perception, you can jog on if.you think you have any reason to complain about that imass.

I just wish that we would have a quality Internet!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

imass wrote: »
    I just wish that we would have a quality Internet!

The difference between 10ms and 35ms will make little to no difference to all but the most extreme and competitive online gamer.
    Even on ISDN pings of 40ms/50ms are fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

GONZO, it is where you get does ping times that matter. Pings of 40/50 are definitely fine overseas, but if you are getting the same exact latency to the closest server from you then that is when it becomes a problem. Don't get me wrong, by a problem i do not mean that it is not acceptable or playable which it definitely is, but you have to understand that we are talking about the FTTH not ADSL!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Speedtest.net isn't a very good judge of ping in my opinion. Open up a command prompt and measure, (if you don't mind)

ping www.rte.ie
    ping www.boards.ie
    ping www.bbc.co.uk

Those speeds are awesome. Something I could really do with to realise my wish to be able to use offsite backup of my company servers every night. It's just too much data currently. That type of connection would eat through it easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Praetorian wrote: »
    Speedtest.net isn't a very good judge of ping in my opinion. Open up a command prompt and measure, (if you don't mind)

ping www.rte.ie
    ping www.boards.ie
    ping www.bbc.co.uk

Those speeds are awesome. Something I could really do with to realise my wish to be able to use offsite backup of my company servers every night. It's just too much data currently. That type of connection would eat through it easily.

Will test those for you this evening if i get a chance

Signed up for Siro in Dundalk tonight. Just went for the 150mb as it's only 2 euro dearer than what I'm currently paying for 24mb and I get 2 free months. I really can't see myself needing any faster than 150mb anyway! The fibre box is less than 20 metres from the house too :D

what price are you paying for the 150Mb/s? The installers told me some customers were going for that package but vodafone never offered it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Signed up for Siro in Dundalk tonight. Just went for the 150mb as it's only 2 euro dearer than what I'm currently paying for 24mb and I get 2 free months. I really can't see myself needing any faster than 150mb anyway! The fibre box is less than 20 metres from the house too :D

How did you sign up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

neacy69 wrote: »
    How did you sign up?

just called and for some reason its not available to my estate even tho the roads and estates all around me have it :(:mad:

looks like im stuck to 5mb forever (no fiber available either as we are directly connected to the exchange apparently)...dont get wrong 5mb is decent but i want more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

Signed up for the 150 Mbps earlier this month. Installation next week. Cost is 45.00 per month with first 2 months free. Am also paying an additional 7.50 per month for unlimited Landline International calls.
    Currently have E fibre (up to 40 Mbps) from Eir but never get more than 12Mbps. Some days it has been as low as 1.5 with an average of about 5Mbps most days.

Amazing how our expectations grow. When I got my first dial up internet connection, I thought it was the best thing ever. Then I got Satelite download with dialup up load which was absolutely ****e but way better than dial up, then I got 1.5Mbps from eircom and could watch youtube videos if everyone else in the neighbourhood was asleep and offline.

Now i think my max 12 Mbps is terrible and want 150 Mbps

Cant wait till next week

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

Signed up for the 150 Mbps earlier this month. Installation next week. Cost is 45.00 per month with first 2 months free. Am also paying an additional 7.50 per month for unlimited Landline International calls.
    Currently have E fibre (up to 40 Mbps) from Eir but never get more than 12Mbps. Some days it has been as low as 1.5 with an average of about 5Mbps most days.

Amazing how our expectations grow. When I got my first dial up internet connection, I thought it was the best thing ever. Then I got Satelite download with dialup up load which was absolutely ****e but way better than dial up, then I got 1.5Mbps from eircom and could watch youtube videos if everyone else in the neighbourhood was asleep and offline.

Cant wait till next week

Do they really have a 150mbps package? They are not advertising this on their website. Just 2 packages listed. The 350 for 55 a month & the 1000 for 90 a month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Cant wait till next week

Been thinking about that myself. I started off on 28.8k dialup, then couldn't get faster than 33.6k as I was on a split line but had great fun back in the day with that speed.

The only way I could upgrade was to get Eircom to install ISDN which gave me 64k/128k, that totally transformed the internet for me. Then eventually 512k ADSL came here in 2003 and thought that was mind-blowing then got upgraded to 7 meg around 2006 and still felt I had a great connection.

Now 10 years later my connection is less than 2 megs faster that what it was in 2005/2006! and it feels brutally slow at this stage. My internet connection now feels more backward than when I was on 33.6k dialup.

Most of my friends are on Efibre FTTC or Virgin Media, whenever they are at my house they can't even deal with the single digit speeds.

Thankfully a fibre upgrade is on the way between now and March 2017, it will truly once again transform the way I use the internet and this upgrade just can't come soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Speed test ping isn't exactly accurate, it's generally a few ms lower from a terminal. Have to remember countries like Germany,France and the Netherlands are clustered together also. 20ms to the UK isn't to be sniffed at imo, nor is the sub 100 ping to North America.

The pings to France/NL do look slightly high though. I had 23ms~ or so on ADSL fastpath a couple of years ago to both countries. Maybe it's server related.

The pings are to do with the ISP's national routing and international connectivity.

GPON, Cable DOCSIS, VDSL or ADSL are all last mile technologies. They're only relevant from your house to the node (cabinet, exchange etc) where your traffic hops onto the ISP's. With the exception of mobile networks (interconnection is often by microwave links between towers), the ping time is generally very little to do with how you're connected.

Your traffic spends very little time on copper with ADSL or VDSL. It's hopping onto fibre at a local cabinet or the exchange. (There are a few exceptions with small rural exchanges where it might go by microwave link back to a parent exchange)

You've also got neutral exchanges INEX which consists of 6 nodes in Dublin and one in Cork and CIX in Cork.

These allow Irish ISPs, service providers and international companies providing high traffic or ping sensitise services to Irish users to cross connect without routing traffic all over the place. That speeds things up.

Different ISPs will also route their international traffic differently and some, particularly Eir, have a lot more options for international routing due to their scale.

The ESB or Eir GPON fibre's main impact is your bandwidth, not your ping time.

The pings being quoted here are all pretty good. You're never going to have the very low pings to the US etc because of the distances involved.

Minimising the number of hops (through routers) helps a lot though. Good core network design and strong international connectivity is important.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Been thinking about that myself. I started off on 28.8k dialup, then couldn't get faster than 33.6k as I was on a split line but had great fun back in the day with that speed.

The only way I could upgrade was to get Eircom to install ISDN which gave me 64k/128k, that totally transformed the internet for me. Then eventually 512k ADSL came here in 2003 and thought that was mind-blowing then got upgraded to 7 meg around 2006 and still felt I had a great connection.

Now 10 years later my connection is less than 2 megs faster that what it was in 2005/2006! and it feels brutally slow at this stage. My internet connection now feels more backward than when I was on 33.6k dialup.

Most of my friends are on Efibre FTTC or Virgin Media, whenever they are at my house they can't even deal with the single digit speeds.

Thankfully a fibre upgrade is on the way between now and March 2017, it will truly once again transform the way I use the internet and this upgrade just can't come soon enough.

Feeling your pain. Was thinking of moving house but now that i am getting SPIRO, think i will have to stay.

rustalan wrote: »
    Do they really have a 150mbps package? They are not advertising this on their website. Just 2 packages listed. The 350 for 55 a month & the 1000 for 90 a month.

Ya. Guy from Vodafone called to the house 2 weeks ago. Offered 150Mbps guaranteed. Gave me some literature but the 150 wasn't printed on it, just hand written.

A vodafone sales rep called to the house telling me that siro is now available. He seemed surprised when i said it was installed yesterday. I asked him what the upload speed what supposed to be but he hadnt a clue.

Ya. Guy from Vodafone called to the house 2 weeks ago. Offered 150Mbps guaranteed. Gave me some literature but the 150 wasn't printed on it, just hand written.

and what price you paying?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Mgit wrote: »
    A vodafone sales rep called to the house telling me that siro is now available. He seemed surprised when i said it was installed yesterday. I asked him what the upload speed what supposed to be but he hadnt a clue.

I'd love to know the upload speed. Yours looks to be around the 70mbps mark.

What's eir's again? Was it just 10 ?
    Information on upload speeds seems to be interestingly missing from both parties websites.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

/\/ollog wrote: »

Information on upload speeds seems to be interestingly missing from both parties websites.

I personally get 80/20 currently.

Eir is supposed to be;

eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb 153600kbps / 30720kbps
    eir Fibre Extreme 300Mb 307200kbps / 51200kbps
    eir Fibre Extreme 1000Mb 1024000kbps / 102400kbps

Nothing on Vodafone about what they're offering though.

/\/ollog wrote: »

Engineer said its 20% of your download, I'm going to ring vodafone tech support to ask for certain. I'm very happy with speeds I'm getting but I would like to know that i haven't been put on an incorrect profile or something. They also should be advertising an upload speed if its not symmetric. Virgin media 360Mb/s broadband is 36Mb/s up so at least mine is double. Its usually 75Mb/s on speedtests I've done

Flibbles wrote: »
    I personally get 80/20 currently.

Eir is supposed to be;

eir Fibre Extreme 150Mb 153600kbps / 30720kbps
    eir Fibre Extreme 300Mb 307200kbps / 51200kbps
    eir Fibre Extreme 1000Mb 1024000kbps / 102400kbps

Nothing on Vodafone about what they're offering though.

So:
    153/30
    307/51
    1024/102
    in Mbps (odd numbers, someone confused about bits bytes data and bandwidth?)

And assuming 20% is right:
    150/30
    300/60
    1000/200

I expected more from SIRO. :(

If 25%, it'd be 37, 75, 250 which looks more like mgit's speedtests. More data/information from siro needed. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I understood symetric was available by order ..... cannot recall from where I got that impression, and it might have only applied to the 1Gb/s commercial connection.

and what price you paying?

18 month contract
    1st 2 months Free
    After that is 45.00 per month (that includes landline) They will port over my number from Eir.
    Have taken an add on pkg for 7.50 per month for unlimited LL International calls (the wife likes to talk to her mum in Australia a lot)

http://siro.ie/letterkenny-fibre-broadband/

They announced Letterkenny officially now, available "mid-May". Excite, but reservedly so given the upload speeds.

So, following on from this discussion:
    SIRO / Vodafone Lightspeed 350 installed today. Some speedtests attached
    jca wrote: »
    What plan are you on? I thought it was supposed to the same speed in both directions. The pings are higher than mine which is surprising.

Its Asymmetric. They demo'd symmetric in some shopping center but were never going to deply that, kinda scummy but on par for the ISP game.
    When did that happen? I was always under the impression that they were promising to offer the symmetrical speeds....
    When SIRO launched several users asked and they confirmed GPON.

https://twitter.com/SIROIreland/status/598075781877735424
    So was I and I was suprised when installer showed me the speediest today. He said it's 20% of download speed. He said during trial it was asymmetric. I agree that it's misleading as the Vodafone site doesn't specify an upload speed. I must ring them about it to double check my plan is setup right and that installer didn't make a mistake. Siro have vids on youtube demoing symmetric speeds.
    Exactly... Their information is a little bit vague if i say so myself. It is little bit disheartening but nothing we can't get over!

Obviously its not clear what's on offer.
    Image from Mahon Point advertising 1G/1G http://i.imgur.com/Entmgdd.jpg
    http://siro.ie/play-harder/
    SIRO will transform family life from entertainment to e-health, distance learning to online gaming.
    Soon, you’ll be able to download a movie in less than 30 seconds and even upload at the same speed, no matter how many tablets, phones or computers you have in the home.
    https://switcher.ie/broadband/guides/what-siro-can-do-for-you/
    What SIRO can do for you
    A joint venture between the ESB and Vodafone was recently launched, promising broadband upload and download speeds of up to 1,000Mbps in Ireland.
    https://www.facebook.com/SIROIreland/posts/1845060449061129
    SIRO Ireland
    24 March at 23:40 ·
    Our one gigabit upload and download speeds will transform agri-business in Ireland. But how will it transform the way you work? Let us know!
    http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2015/0514/701071-siro-esb-vodafone-broadband/
    The service has been trialled in 300 premises in Cavan since last autumn, where users have been able to avail of upload and download speeds of up to 1 Gbps.

But...
    https://twitter.com/siroireland/status/598075781877735424
    SIRO Ireland
    @SIROIreland
    @Dbyrne_Trend We will be offering GPON services with a global split ratio of 1:32. Further information will be released at a later date.
    **GPON doesn't support symmetric speeds unless you only split it once or twice: 1G/1G or 2x500/500Mb**

383282.png

So I can only assume that they're offering a dedicated fiber to businesses allowing 1G/1G or 2.5G/1G and residential customers are on regular split GPON in the same fashion as OpenEirs rollout.

I'd love to check the pricing documents but Vodafones site is throwing lots of HTTP500s right now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

I'm sure it's more that they offer a range of upload/download combinations at different price points across different market types. In a similar way that OpenEir have thousands of different offerings yet Eir, Sky etc only sell on a very small subset of these.

It's annoying that Vodafone don't show on their website what upload speeds they are offering but 20% seems to make sense. It beats both Virgin and Eir in this regard.

The packages that Vodafone offer may also only be a subset of what SIRO offer as a wholesale provider. i.e. if another provider such as Sky/BT, Eir, Magnet, Virgin Media etc etc where to resell SIRO broadband then they could well offer symmetric speeds if SIRO actually sell them. The fact that they have marketed it in the image from the shopping centre seems to infer that they do. It is very SIRO branded so they are probably promoting their own brand separate from the Vodafone arm of the whole thing!!

Praetorian wrote: »

ping www.rte.ie
    ping www.boards.ie
    ping www.bbc.co.uk

As promised

Pinging www.rte.ie [104.16.2.26] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 104.16.2.26: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59
    Reply from 104.16.2.26: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=59

Pinging www.boards.ie [104.20.1.160] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 104.20.1.160: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59
    Reply from 104.20.1.160: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=59
    Reply from 104.20.1.160: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=59
    Reply from 104.20.1.160: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=59

Pinging www.bbc.net.uk [212.58.246.55] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 212.58.246.55: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=54

• Advertisement

digiman wrote: »
    i.e. if another provider such as Sky/BT, Eir, Magnet, Virgin Media etc etc where to resell SIRO broadband then they could well offer symmetric speeds if SIRO actually sell them.

They could, but you're talking huge pricing.

I haven't seen the pricing but lets say its €80/mo WS for 350_70. Thats 7x subs per strand at €560/mo. Obviously bulk is cheaper but no way SIRO are giving that same strand away at less than €350/mo for a 1G symm connection. So its corporate grade only, not just different pricing models.

Advertisement