Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Well 4-5ms is better, I could live with that.

I do remember quite a few years ago testing the first ftth product in Ireland before it was released & getting the 1-2 ms times to Irish servers. Also very low UK / Europe ping times.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

digiman wrote: »
    There is 0.5ms right there then :)

The first hop after your router would probably be their BNG in Dublin, 3ms is very good from Dundalk to be fair to an external network.

I noticed my router public ip doesn't show in the tracert, think that up is the Vodafone gateway or something. Installer told me there is a direct fibre connection from my Estate into the nearest dundalk pop and from there direct to internet backbone. Not sure if he is right as he did mention the home installers and network rollout teams or totally separate.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

ED E wrote: »
    Pfft, 5ms to RTE? Stone age.

;)

Lmao... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shermanator

So signed up for Vodafone Lightspeed a few weeks ago. Needed to be present for the install and would have taken time off work to be there.
    So the guy who signed me up, booked the install for 6pm with me. I double checked this time before giving the go ahead.
    Got my 24hr advance call from Vodafone yesterday and they had a time slot of between 1 and 6 pm. They were surprised when i said we had been given 6 pm as their install guys finish at 6pm.
    So yesterday we agreed a time of 4.30 for the install and I arranged to finish work early.
    Got a call from my wife at 12.55 to say the install guy has arrived and she has to leave for school pickups etc.
    Rally hope this is not a sign of things to come with Vodafone. Hate when a company can't arrange this type of appointment correctly. They know people have to work etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it was KNN no shows and wrong arrivals aren't exactly uncommon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

If it was KNN no shows and wrong arrivals aren't exactly uncommon.

Jesus you really have a problem with knn even though it wasn't them this time. Any chance to slag them off and you're in like flynn.

jca wrote: »
    Jesus you really have a problem with knn even though it wasn't them this time. Any chance to slag them off and you're in like flynn.

KNN are working for SIRO and OpenEir, so who's to say it wasn't?

I'll take issue with anyone that deserves it, dont worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

In fairness, we're in the SIRO thread, there's a very good chance it was them (or one of their subbies)

Avada wrote: »
    In fairness, we're in the SIRO thread, there's a very good chance it was them (or one of their subbies)

I thought knn were the subbies... I knn did my install for me and I couldn't have had a nicer guy. The luck of the draw I suppose. I had speed issues after having evision installed and 2 eircom guys in 2 different vans showed up and couldn't restore my original speed. They told me to ring eircom support and get them to send me out an F2000 which still didn't give me back my lost speed. Changing provider finally got me my speed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I thought knn were the subbies... I knn did my install for me and I couldn't have had a nicer guy. The luck of the draw I suppose. I had speed issues after having evision installed and 2 eircom guys in 2 different vans showed up and couldn't restore my original speed. They told me to ring eircom support and get them to send me out an F2000 which still didn't give me back my lost speed. Changing provider finally got me my speed back.

installing evision limits the fibre speed.

vodafone tv has the same problem.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

When you sign up for eVision, you are automatically moved to a "stable" profile, which means lower speed. And of course then you lose more speed for each TV stream you use.

For instance if you were getting 70Mb/s rate adaptive, then you get moved to 50Mb/s "stable" profile when you order TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,491 ✭✭✭irishgeo

bk wrote: »
    When you sign up for eVision, you are automatically moved to a "stable" profile, which means lower speed. And of course then you lose more speed for each TV stream you use.

For instance if you were getting 70Mb/s rate adaptive, then you get moved to 50Mb/s "stable" profile when you order TV.

You think that 2 eircom lads would know that.

bk wrote: »

I know that. The problem was when I got evision removed they moved me back to my 70/20 profile but I just couldn't get those speeds again. When I switched to VF they kept me on the 70/20 profile and I regularly get 68/19 actual speeds in Speedtests. The guys who called to me could get 68/19 on their machine, a megger I think they called it but no way would 68/19 emerge from my router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Knn are one of the contracted installers, but they do have their own subcontractors as well. And having dealt with them from the provisioning/tech support side rather than as a customer, they are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

A rep called to the house and when I told him I was already with Vodafone he said they had that offer going so I took it.
    Mgit wrote: »
    Dundalk
    So signed up for Vodafone Lightspeed a few weeks ago.

Any of you guys have any contact details for whoever signed you up? If so, maybe PM me some details please?

Heard they were at the door last week. Vodafone saleslines dont know anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Old posts on the thread from 5 months ago mention a 1TB data cap for the 350MB package. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Oat23 wrote: »
    Old posts on the thread from 5 months ago mention a 1TB data cap for the 350MB package. Does anyone know if that is still the case?

I think its a fair usage policy thing isnt it??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

I think its a fair usage policy thing isnt it??

Yeah in small print on Eir website and prob the other guys as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Add your reply here.
    It's a fair usage policy of a terabit. There's a thread over on vodafone's talk to forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

1TB isn't much at those speeds.
    Sync your HDD to a premium Dropbox account for example and you'll be through most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

This'll be a very specific update, but anyone in the Rahan/Crievesmith area of Letterkenny, there's no news on a release date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    It's a fair usage policy of a terabit. There's a thread over on vodafone's talk to forum.
    12Phase wrote: »
    1TB isn't much at those speeds.
    Sync your HDD to a premium Dropbox account for example and you'll be through most of it.

Really disappointed they have set a limit so low. Their terms do not mention it being any higher on the gigabit connection either.

I use 1.5-2TB currently, so that is SIRO ruled out now. I was looking forward to changing soon. :(

Its something they'll have to change. Its been a while since my counter has been under 1TB and thats on a 120Mb link, any FTTH product at a premium pricing tier needs to offer minimum 5TB FUP to entice me.

Thats one area where UPC/Virgin have done well, you can take the absolute piss usage wise and they won't say a word.

Its something they'll have to change. Its been a while since my counter has been under 1TB and thats on a 120Mb link, any FTTH product at a premium pricing tier needs to offer minimum 5TB FUP to entice me.

Thats one area where UPC/Virgin have done well, you can take the absolute piss usage wise and they won't say a word.

Same with the FTTC products on openEir even if they're sub 100mbit/s very few care about caps.

Seems ludicrous to cap FTTH that low.

When you've got that kind of speed you'll use it up very rapidly. Especially if you start streaming UHD and storing a lot of data in the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Really disappointed they have set a limit so low. Their terms do not mention it being any higher on the gigabit connection either.

I use 1.5-2TB currently, so that is SIRO ruled out now. I was looking forward to changing soon. :(
    There is still a question whether this is just Vodafone. Another retailer using SIRO may work differently.

Is there any other option though?

To date we'e seen no sign of any other retail operators.

Probably isn't enough rollout yet to get anyone else on board.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,883 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yeah it would need to be available in many more places to be taken seriously by other operators. To date its only available to a handfull of houses in 3 towns?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah it would need to be available in many more places to be taken seriously by other operators. To date its only available to a handfull of houses in 3 towns?

I agree. With the rate SIRO are carrying out the rollout it will be quite a while before other operators even start to consider selling the product. At least 4 of the first 10 towns announced last year have not even being started yet and they are planning to announce another 10 soon.

At the rate it's going Eir's FTTH project will be way ahead and other operators may well go that route.

Advertisement