Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Eir have a surprisingly decent amount of infrastructure pretty much ready-to-roll in a lot of areas as they rolled out a lot of spare fibres to each of those FTTC cabinets.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

On the Siro website for my address - "SIRO is available here in Letterkenny from the following provider: - "

No provider mentioned but Vodafone will be pushing this shortly according to the phone rep who says their site is currently down but that they are updating their site for completion tomorrow. Knn crews are flat out splicing fibre into homes along the Glencar Road/Convent Road with at least two splicing crews feeding houses from the coils of fibre strung from the ESB poles over the last month or so. I've been away for several months but the neighbour informs me that they were back pulling cable through the newly run ducts so I can only surmise the fibre is now in place in Ashbrook at the mini-pillars and only needs to be blown to the houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Oat23 wrote: »
    Really disappointed they have set a limit so low. Their terms do not mention it being any higher on the gigabit connection either.

I use 1.5-2TB currently, so that is SIRO ruled out now. I was looking forward to changing soon. :(

SIRO available at my address from today. I'd probably have it tomorrow if I did not remember to check the fair usage terms yesterday! Dodged a bullet there!

Hopefully someone other than Vodafone comes along offering the service.

It's a great service but that cap would render it totally useless. Seems you can't win.

That's like building a motorway, then limiting drivers to a maximum of 25km.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

1TB is a massive cap regardless of the speed, what are people using this amount of transfer for in a home environment?

• Advertisement

air wrote: »
    1TB is a massive cap regardless of the speed, what are people using this amount of transfer for in a home environment?

1TB is not a massive cap at 1Gbit/s

UHD runs at at least 7GB / hour
    Sync your HDD to a cloud service - could be hundreds of GB

The issue is that when you've a very high speed data connection, suddenly the internet's almost like your local HDD.

You could easily burn through that cap in 30 days.

Fair enough, I've no interest in UHD, don't see the point - excuse the pun.
    Even at 7GB an hour you'd have to watch more than 4 hours TV a day, I don't have that kind of time on my hands & is there even much content available?
    As for synching your HDD taking hundreds of GB, any kind of half decent backup program is incremental. You'd be hard pressed to generate hundreds of GB a month unless you're running a video production business.
    I can't see much cause for complaint with that cap for the vast majority of users.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I know several families of eastern European origin that watch all their TV online from home. Currently pushing 600GB/mo on the likes of a 40Mb VDSL connection. TB would be easy at 350 with higher bit rates.

Remember its not 1TB per user, its per connection. Take an average household of 4 people say thats only 250GB per person. One PC game can be 80GB+, SC patches 25GB every 2-3wks. Youtube is now at 60FPS which almost doubles the bw usage...

The fact is if I'm paying for a premium product I should have the peace of mind not to care.

The simple fact is when you add speed, you'll find ways of using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

ED E wrote: »
    I know several families of eastern European origin that watch all their TV online from home. Currently pushing 600GB/mo on the likes of a 40Mb VDSL connection. TB would be easy at 350 with higher bit rates.

Remember its not 1TB per user, its per connection. Take an average household of 4 people say thats only 250GB per person. One PC game can be 80GB+, SC patches 25GB every 2-3wks. Youtube is now at 60FPS which almost doubles the bw usage...

The fact is if I'm paying for a premium product I should have the peace of mind not to care.

For 99% of population 1TB is more than sufficient today, this will of course change as we adapt to UHD and watching more TV online.

However from an ISP perspective the last thing they want is to give unlimited caps out and people start seeding torrents with their very high uploads speeds. You can imagine the amount of wasted bandwidth an ISP would see that as. In the end that will cost them a lot of money or else we end up with congested networks.

• Advertisement

Indeed, you only have to look at data speeds on the Three mobile network to see the effect on a network of data plans without caps.
    It's back to Irish Water and every other utility, if there is no incentive to conserve the resource you end up with a tragedy of the commons scenario.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Indeed, you only have to look at data speeds on the Three mobile network to see the effect on a network of data plans without caps.
    It's back to Irish Water and every other utility, if there is no incentive to conserve the resource you end up with a tragedy of the commons scenario.

There is a massive difference between Fiber and Mobile Broadband. Mobile broadband is severely limited by radio spectrum available and thus bandwidth.

Fiber on the other hand has no such limitations * Terabytes per month of extra data on a fiber network are literally counted in a euro or two. Thus there is no excuse for caps on a FTTH network.

* Strictly speaking Fiber has a certain amount of spectrum available too, but it is so much more then available to mobile broadband, it isn't even worth talking about. Practically speaking Fiber really doesn't have any limitations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

bk wrote: »
    There is a massive difference between Fiber and Mobile Broadband. Mobile broadband is severely limited by radio spectrum available and thus bandwidth.

Fiber on the other hand has no such limitations * Terabytes per month of extra data on a fiber network are literally counted in a euro or two. Thus there is no excuse for caps on a FTTH network.

* Strictly speaking Fiber has a certain amount of spectrum available too, but it is so much more then available to mobile broadband, it isn't even worth talking about. Practically speaking Fiber really doesn't have any limitations.

That is not entirely true for GPON which both eir and Siro are using. Each GPON port is limited to 2.5Gbps down and 1.25 Gbps up. This is then furter split between individual premises. Siro have stated that they are using a 1:32 split ratio.

That is not entirely true for GPON which both eir and Siro are using. Each GPON port is limited to 2.5Gbps down and 1.25 Gbps up. This is then furter split between individual premises. Siro have stated that they are using a 1:32 split ratio.

While thats true, you can lay as many fibers as you like. Lay 200 in a duct? Busy? Lay another 200 beside them. Once the 15Mhz x2 of spectrum a provider has is used, its used. No way to add more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

This exactly. I could probably keep under the limit, but in 2016 it's ridiculous that I should have to worry about a cap when I'm paying €55 per month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Oat23 wrote: »
    This exactly. I could probably keep under the limit, but in 2016 it's ridiculous that I should have to worry about a cap when I'm paying €55 per month.

Even more ridiculous for those paying €90/month for the 1000Mbps service especially given that AFAIK the cap still applies to customers of Vodafone's TV service.

If my household of five was doing all of its TV viewing over broadband, along with all our other broadband use we'd easily go over 1TB every month.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Even more ridiculous for those paying €90/month for the 1000Mbps service especially given that AFAIK the cap still applies to customers of Vodafone's TV service.

Vodaofones own IPTV won't be counted, its multicast so it generates no extra traffic if 1 or 100 users in a locality subscribe.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

gizmo555 wrote: »

If my household of five was doing all of its TV viewing over broadband, along with all our other broadband use we'd easily go over 1TB every month.

Especially seeing as you can go over the limit by using the full internet for a little over 2 hours. Or 0.4% of the period to which the cap applies.

While thats true, you can lay as many fibers as you like. Lay 200 in a duct? Busy? Lay another 200 beside them. Once the 15Mhz x2 of spectrum a provider has is used, its used. No way to add more.
    You obviously have no idea of the practical challenges that SIRO face in their rollout. They are making use of power cable ducts that were never designed to take fibre.
    Sure in an ideal world they could lay huge amounts of fibre in new ducts for unlimited capacity to everyone, but are people going to pay for that in a low density country like Ireland?

You obviously have no idea of the practical challenges that SIRO face in their rollout. They are making use of power cable ducts that were never designed to take fibre.
    Sure in an ideal world they could lay huge amounts of fibre in new ducts for unlimited capacity to everyone, but are people going to pay for that in a low density country like Ireland?

You're totally missing the point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Vodaofones own IPTV won't be counted, its multicast so it generates no extra traffic if 1 or 100 users in a locality subscribe.

Fair enough, if it's true that it won't be counted, but that is not at all clear from the Vodafone T&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

The last few months I've used on average 450GB per month on a 30Mb line. My PS4 hasn't been used in a good while so I'd say there's a good few huge updates on that too.

You're totally missing the point.
    How is that exactly?
    You stated that Siro could simply lay as many fibres as they want as they go along. This is simply untrue. They are limited in what they can run due to the physical limitations of the infrastructure they are using to run fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭plodder

digiman wrote: »
    For 99% of population 1TB is more than sufficient today, this will of course change as we adapt to UHD and watching more TV online.

However from an ISP perspective the last thing they want is to give unlimited caps out and people start seeding torrents with their very high uploads speeds. You can imagine the amount of wasted bandwidth an ISP would see that as. In the end that will cost them a lot of money or else we end up with congested networks.
    I agree. So long as caps when exceeded, are priced fairly, then it's reasonable to have them. Giving end users 1Gbit pipes, 100 times (or more) than what they had previously, has knock-on effects. The congestion problem just moves from the subscriber link to somewhere else on the network. At the end of the day, very few servers will sustain 1Gbit per user across large numbers of users, I suspect. Though I presume ISP supplied (live) TV is treated differently, given that it is multicast and presumably not actually streamed across the net.

bk wrote: »

While everything you say is true there is also a severe limit on the back haul network for mobile operators. They do not have fibre to every RBS site.
    Mobile spectrum is quite broad nowadays also with UMTS900, UMTS2100, LTE800 and LTE1800 running simultaneously for some operators.

The fact remains that capacity costs money, when you provide an unlimited service users will not conserve it and you will face challenges at various points along your own infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Regards the FUP, that's clearly a Vodafone thing in my mind, they've always been the ones in the Irish market adding and removing awful Caps and FUP's to their internet packages.

I for one can't wait until someone else offers SIRO. Deep in my heart I hope to God Vodafone don't have a timed exclusivity deal as part of their 50% investment.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Regards the FUP, that's clearly a Vodafone thing in my mind, they've always been the ones in the Irish market adding and removing awful Caps and FUP's to their internet packages.

I for one can't wait until someone else offers SIRO. Deep in my heart I hope to God Vodafone don't have a timed exclusivity deal as part of their 50% investment.

They better not, or it will stifle their success. People won't be willing to pay €90 a month for 1Tb of bandwidth. The only people who need speed of 1Gbit are people likely to also use a lot of data per month. Most light users could survive on VDSL.

1080p is the norm these days, and with everything moving online, a family would quickly gobble that allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tricky2beat

marno21 wrote: »
    They better not, or it will stifle their success. People won't be willing to pay €90 a month for 1Tb of bandwidth. The only people who need speed of 1Gbit are people likely to also use a lot of data per month. Most light users could survive on VDSL.

1080p is the norm these days, and with everything moving online, a family would quickly gobble that allowance.

All ISP have a fair usage cap. None of them actually monitor them unless they see continued breakage over a few months. If customers are using massive amounts it might suggest they are using the line for hosting / business scale. Thus with the terms and conditions the ISP has the ability to look into the extreme usage of data. Forget your typical modern family streaming 4K, downloading torrents and playing games online. None of them care about that and will never cap it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

All ISP have a fair usage cap. None of them actually monitor them unless they see continued breakage over a few months. If customers are using massive amounts it might suggest they are using the line for hosting / business scale. Thus with the terms and conditions the ISP has the ability to look into the extreme usage of data. Forget your typical modern family streaming 4K, downloading torrents and playing games online. None of them care about that and will never cap it.

No they don't. Eir, Virgin or Sky don't have FUP.

• Advertisement

Sky actually make a big deal out of not having one. If you are on their top fibre package and go onto their website it just doesn't tell you your usage at all and says something about not to worry we don't have caps.

Advertisement