Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

ED E wrote: »
    They're the only ones announced so far.

Other posters here have confirmed that Vodafone are giving existing customers 150mb for €40 per month if they go with lightspeed. Maybe Vodafone will give this to new customers if they are asked about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

They're the only ones announced so far.
    At least with Openeir it was a relatively simple process to find out what was on offer and what their various standards and models were in relation to the dispirate products on offer to ISP's by them. Siro are keeping similar information very much in the dark to the likes of us, the consumer.

Siro map has reverted to "Roll-out Update" interface for all locations. Are they updating the site again? My address now invites me to "Register my interest" rather than yesterday's "Siro is available at this location from the following providers - Vodafone. " (sic) Brain fried at this point!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

They updated this morning. Never works great to be honest but the JSON file they use to visually display the areas available has changed to "availableNow16thJune" from May 3rd I think. I have been keeping track of the areas that have gone live in Dundalk and anytime they do an update the available now file only displays the most recent areas that have gone live. For example, the point road was the first place to go live and when you'd move the mouse over it the map would change to indicate that the area was live. Last months update the map only changed for the area that went live on that update and the point road area would not update on Mouse Over only when clicked. Its odd as the first few updates had grey and green areas visible without doing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Do we have any numbers on how many premises SIRO currently cover?

I can see how other ISPs would be slow to jump on board as theres a large setup cost to integrate as a retail ISP so unless you can hit a significant number of subscribers it would likely mean a loss. Wouldnt be surprised if its Vodafone only up to 300-500k premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭boardzz

Seems to be a very slow roll out. Any news on when Galway city is getting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

It is a very slow roll out. They haven't finished the first 10 towns that were announced on launch day, some of these haven't even started yet and it seems Navan is now showing as "Planned". Navan being one of the 10.

However it seems there are 5 additional towns showing to be "Soon" up from "Planned". These are Skibbereen, Mullingar, Drogheda, Portlaoise and Newbridge (Kildare). So much for the 10 new towns that were to be announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Do we have any numbers on how many premises SIRO currently cover?

I can see how other ISPs would be slow to jump on board as theres a large setup cost to integrate as a retail ISP so unless you can hit a significant number of subscribers it would likely mean a loss. Wouldnt be surprised if its Vodafone only up to 300-500k premises.

Nobody's going to retail on that. The wholesale offering is a lemon. They are pitching fibre islands like Carrigaline, Ballincollig, Mallow, as stand alone entities. You need to get your own n x 10Gb backhaul between them which makes it prohibitive.

There's no managed backhaul option with aggregated handoff.

BT were looking at being an aggregator on it at one point but pulled out.

The wholesale pitch got it through the Dail though for the blanket wayleave Bill....

I'd assumed ESB Telecomms would be providing dark glass over the existing HV rings (like they do for HEANET) back to normal POPs for handoff. If you're being left to run your own only OpenEir or ENET could manage and I don't see either jumping on that deal...

I'd assumed ESB Telecomms would be providing dark glass over the existing HV rings (like they do for HEANET) back to normal POPs for handoff. If you're being left to run your own only OpenEir or ENET could manage and I don't see either jumping on that deal...

Yeah you would think, but unfortunately no. Enet could become an aggregator but expressed no interest.

Honestly what is it, 50 towns and say €20,000 per annum for even a 10Gb tail to each = €1m per annum excluding the SIRO last mile, IP transit, back end, support, CPE amortisation, etc.

Eh, no business case there, boss.

• Advertisement

Siro are in Letterkenny tomorrow and Saturday, 17th and 18th, with their "show."

Vodafone will start taking orders on the 28th June for Letterkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

PeadarB wrote: »
    Siro are in Letterkenny tomorrow and Saturday, 17th and 18th, with their "show."

Vodafone will start taking orders on the 28th June for Letterkenny.

Oh good timing, I'm on the phone right now asking about it.

Flibbles wrote: »
    Oh good timing, I'm on the phone right now asking about it.
    Let us know how you get on. I wouldn't hold my breath as I've tortured the Belfast lads for weeks now but with no concrete info. They got the word in the VF shop in LK just this morning.

Let us know how you get on. I wouldn't hold my breath as I've tortured the Belfast lads for weeks now but with no concrete info. They got the word in the VF shop in LK just this morning.

Same old, "fibre is there, lightspeed is not".

It's really stupid that the 80meg is called fibre...

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Saw people at work at 3 locations last week laying fibre for Siro in Tralee. Early this week, there were 2 Siro vans pulled up outside an ESB sub-station on the south side of Tralee at Ballyard with a few guys milling around the area.

Siro map updated at last!!! The Siro map says Siro is now available from Vodafone at my specific address in Ashbrook, Letterkenny. No doubt Vodafone will have something negative to say about that tomorrow. Still only a week to go till the official launch on the 28th.

Siro guys were out this morning. They had 4 office guys with them to witness the install. I think they were photographing it as I'm quite rural and its one of the first drops from the pole that they have done.

So they ran the cable over ground to the gable and then into my living room. They were really nice to deal with all very friendly. They said that Dundalk should be fully done in the next few months.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5425422750 That's the speed test I ran when they left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What package are you on rustalan ?

What package are you on rustalan ?

I went for the light speed 350. Was going to go for the 150 but I wanted the extra upload speed. It's 20% of the download.

rustalan wrote: »
    I went for the light speed 350. Was going to go for the 150 but I wanted the extra upload speed. It's 20% of the download.
    Hopefully I can get connected from next Tuesday. Must suss out VOIP phone and dumping phonewatch for CCTV.

• Advertisement

Hopefully I can get connected from next Tuesday. Must suss out VOIP phone and dumping phonewatch for CCTV.

Today is the day, and there's no sign on Siro.ie or Vodafone.ie. Or I'm just impatient, either or :pac:

Flibbles wrote: »
    Today is the day, and there's no sign on Siro.ie or Vodafone.ie. Or I'm just impatient, either or :pac:
    I jumped the gun I must admit. They took the order on Friday last with an install date for today. I should have known their systems wouldn't be ready. Quick call confirmed KN rejected the request(not ready to go I expect!!!) and the order was cancelled. Re-ordered today so should have a call back later in the day to confirm install arrangements.

Independence Day!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

They're not down south of the town, the wire stops around Rosemount. :'(

/\/ollog wrote: »
    They're not down south of the town, the wire stops around Rosemount. :'(
    The first phase was to include 1970 or so premises. I've an install date for 5th July, a day later than first arranged. Hope the pipes not blocked or it'll be JCB time.
    They were all over Ard O'Donnell with aerial drops for the past week. They are moving inwards from the 38Kv Gortlee ring route (purple lines)

ESB LK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Chattanooga - the High Speed City
    Global Business

Chattanooga has been re-inventing itself for decades. In the late 1960s Walter Cronkite referred to the city as "the dirtiest in America." Since then heavy industry has declined and, to take its place, civic leaders have been on a mission to bring high-tech innovation and enterprise to Chattanooga. In 2010 the city became the first in America to enjoy gig speed internet following an investment of a couple of hundred million dollars from its publically-owned electricity company, EPB. What economic and psychological benefits have super-fast internet brought to this mid-sized city in Tennessee? Has the investment in speed paid off?
    Presenter Peter Day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03vwfw2

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KOR101 wrote: »
    Chattanooga - the High Speed City
    Global Business

Chattanooga has been re-inventing itself for decades. In the late 1960s Walter Cronkite referred to the city as "the dirtiest in America." Since then heavy industry has declined and, to take its place, civic leaders have been on a mission to bring high-tech innovation and enterprise to Chattanooga. In 2010 the city became the first in America to enjoy gig speed internet following an investment of a couple of hundred million dollars from its publically-owned electricity company, EPB. What economic and psychological benefits have super-fast internet brought to this mid-sized city in Tennessee? Has the investment in speed paid off?
    Presenter Peter Day

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03vwfw2

Gosh, that is boring!

I gave up after 15 mins ..... not sure how I lasted that long :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Gosh, that is boring!

I gave up after 15 mins ..... not sure how I lasted that long :)
    Punchline at the end.....they've already introduced a 10gig service due to competition.

Can't be arsed watching it, but I take it from this someone has introduced 10Gb residential broadband?

Why oh why? What's the point when domestic Ethernet interface are max 1Gb and most servers won't be able to serve at that throughput?

Or from the demand side, N x HD video streams in a household won't exceed 20Mbps? Or N x 4K plus some other traffic = 50Mbps, say?

Most peerings on INEX are 1Gbs or 10Gb for instance. Why give end users 10Gb when they can't consume that?

Marketing spin... my gigabit's bigger than yours...

• Advertisement

There is the concept that fast connections create "Smart Localities", Google tried that with 6month stays IIRC, but its not for commercial use so theres only so much one could do.

10Gb is silly as a 10GB NIC is still €300+, Switch €1000 + border router that can run WAN->LAN at that rate of at least €5000, probably a lot more. Wonder if anyone has benchmarked PFSense at those speeds....

Advertisement