Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Can't be arsed watching it, but I take it from this someone has introduced 10Gb residential broadband?

Why oh why? What's the point when domestic Ethernet interface are max 1Gb and most servers won't be able to serve at that throughput?

Or from the demand side, N x HD video streams in a household won't exceed 20Mbps? Or N x 4K plus some other traffic = 50Mbps, say?

Most peerings on INEX are 1Gbs or 10Gb for instance. Why give end users 10Gb when they can't consume that?

Marketing spin... my gigabit's bigger than yours...
    So you're saying the roads have a speed limit but people still buy sportscars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

/\/ollog wrote: »
    So you're saying the roads have a speed limit but people still buy sportscars?

I think it's the other way around ... They are providing trillion lane autobahns, where all the vehicles can only use the slow lane and are limited to 100KPH! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I think it's the other way around ... They are providing trillion lane autobahns, where all the vehicles can only use the slow lane and are limited to 100KPH! :eek:

But you never get stuck in traffic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

digiman wrote: »
    But you never get stuck in traffic!!

But you do...because everyone's in the same lane.

Another example would be upc: they currently offer maniac speeds compared to 5 years ago, but you tube performs exactly the same (or worse) than it did then, because the YouTube > upc connection isn't good enough.

Upc can give you 200,000,000 gigabits to your house, but it won't make a blond bit of difference.

But you do...because everyone's in the same lane.

Another example would be upc: they currently offer maniac speeds compared to 5 years ago, but you tube performs exactly the same (or worse) than it did then, because the YouTube > upc connection isn't good enough.

Upc can give you 200,000,000 gigabits to your house, but it won't make a blond bit of difference.

That completely depends on your ISP though, in general my statement is correct!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭PeadarB

My old PSTN line came into the attic throuh the wall from the "telegraph" pole. I ran my phone and internet connections from there.

Vodafone are installing LightSpeed in the morning (barring no blocked pipes etc.). The entry point is beside the back door. where the ESB meter box is located. I wonder if the installers will be amenable to siting the modem in the attic from where I can run a switched network with the least grief. Anyone here familiar with this type of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Can't be arsed watching it, but I take it from this someone has introduced 10Gb residential broadband?

Why oh why? What's the point when domestic Ethernet interface are max 1Gb and most servers won't be able to serve at that throughput?

Or from the demand side, N x HD video streams in a household won't exceed 20Mbps? Or N x 4K plus some other traffic = 50Mbps, say?

Most peerings on INEX are 1Gbs or 10Gb for instance. Why give end users 10Gb when they can't consume that?

Marketing spin... my gigabit's bigger than yours...
    Perhaps, but the first 10 gbit residential customer interviewed does state that 'believe it or not' the children were complaining to each other about hogging the bandwidth. (25:30 mins in)

KOR101 wrote: »
    Perhaps, but the first 10 gbit residential customer interviewed does state that 'believe it or not' the children were complaining to each other about hogging the bandwidth. (25:30 mins in)

Pfft! Kids these days.

When I were a lad I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

Did you get it installed today finally? So I was in same situation as you and yes you can have the modem in the attic if you wish but the fibre to ethernet converter box that requires mains power must be within 2m of esb meter. You can run a cat5e or cat 6 cable from there to attic and connect modem to end of it.

PeadarB wrote: »
    My old PSTN line came into the attic throuh the wall from the "telegraph" pole. I ran my phone and internet connections from there.

Vodafone are installing LightSpeed in the morning (barring no blocked pipes etc.). The entry point is beside the back door. where the ESB meter box is located. I wonder if the installers will be amenable to siting the modem in the attic from where I can run a switched network with the least grief. Anyone here familiar with this type of situation.

Mgit wrote: »
    Did you get it installed today finally? So I was in same situation as you and yes you can have the modem in the attic if you wish but the fibre to ethernet converter box that requires mains power must be within 2m of esb meter. You can run a cat5e or cat 6 cable from there to attic and connect modem to end of it.
    If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none at all. There must twists and bends along the length of the bloody pipe but the lads have sussed a new route in and with a little digging in the morning we should be well on the way. Got the siting issue sorted as well. It will sit right bang in the middle of the house which is my preferred location, to facilitate distribution of CAT 6 or 7 cable and the VOIP phone. Neighbour recons he's getting 365 down on a 350 connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

I got 405/81 on one speed test on my 350 connection
    If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have none at all. There must twists and bends along the length of the bloody pipe but the lads have sussed a new route in and with a little digging in the morning we should be well on the way. Got the siting issue sorted as well. It will sit right bang in the middle of the house which is my preferred location, to facilitate distribution of CAT 6 or 7 cable and the VOIP phone. Neighbour recons he's getting 365 down on a 350 connection.

Nice to see companies give more than they advertise. VM do the same but nowhere near as generous as that.

391018.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

It would be great to see some pics of the install, fibre termination point etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Manc Red wrote: »
    Vodafone are offering only 350Mbps and 1000Mbps Lightspeed broadband on their website so I assume there are other providers making use of Siros access if there are 150/30 profiles?
    Other posters here have confirmed that Vodafone are giving existing customers 150mb for €40 per month if they go with lightspeed. Maybe Vodafone will give this to new customers if they are asked about it.

I got it as a new customer, signed up on the door though.
    Not getting the 150 dl speed though according to my speed tests...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

I got it as a new customer, signed up on the door though.
    Not getting the 150 dl speed though according to my speed tests...

Are you testing it on wifi?

guil wrote: »
    Are you testing it on wifi?

Both wifi and directly to modem; at best with modem was getting in the 80's, in the 50's for wifi. Its a bit disappointing that its so far away from the supposed speeds i have to admit, especially in line with results I have seen here from others.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

Hi, what laptop are you trying that with? My laptop network card can only handle 100 down. Took home brand new Macbook air from work and can get 330 down on Wifi on an Archer C5 router. Got 360+ down on another newer laptop connected to direct to router. That was with a CAT6 cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

Both wifi and directly to modem; at best with modem was getting in the 80's, in the 50's for wifi. Its a bit disappointing that its so far away from the supposed speeds i have to admit, especially in line with results I have seen here from others.

Do you have a gigabit ethernet card on your PC?

jd wrote: »
    Do you have a gigabit ethernet card on your PC?

how would i know that for sure?

Is it another caveat that should be added to claims on how fast broadband speed can be?
    Using lenovo laptops, can only do the connected lan test on an s400 though.
    did a wifi test a few minutes ago, got about 5mb/0.6mb.... that was scary, but wired back to in the 80´s/30´s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭rustalan

Is it another caveat that should be added to claims on how fast broadband speed can be?
    did a wifi test a few minutes ago, got about 5mb/0.6mb.... that was scary, but wired back to in the 80´s/30´s.

The specs for that laptop are here: http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/lenovo/s-series/s400/#tab-tech_specs. According to the specs the card is 10/100 means 100 is the most you'll get on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭user1842

rustalan wrote: »

did a wifi test a few minutes ago, got about 5mb/0.6mb.... that was scary, but wired back to in the 80 s/30 s.

The specs for that laptop are here: http://shop.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/lenovo/s-series/s400/#tab-tech_specs. According to the specs the card is 10/100 means 100 is the most you'll get on it.
    The max you will get is 80 to 90 Mb/s (wired) on your laptop (you don't get the full 100 Mb/s due to overheads with regards to error correction, compression and packet size). Upgrade your laptop or buy a faster wireless adaptor or USB network interface card to see better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

rustalan wrote: »
    Hi, what laptop are you trying that with? My laptop network card can only handle 100 down. Took home brand new Macbook air from work and can get 330 down on Wifi on an Archer C5 router. Got 360+ down on another newer laptop connected to direct to router. That was with a CAT6 cable.

Wow, 330 on WiFi is impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

If you have an Android phone, download WiFi Analyzer. Use it to find a free channel for your router.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

Wow, 330 on WiFi is impressive.

Presumably 5G Wifi and close to the Modem.

Such a few hairy days!!!
    5463765951.png

Such a few hairy days!!!
    5463765951.png

Thoughts so far? What has been hairy??

Also change your server to Dublin and see what speeds you get, should be faster and lower ping time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Such a few hairy days!!!
    5463765951.png

Great stuff!

Anyone else expecting the ping to be lower?

Duct was blocked on install day so it was cancelled. Next day we changed the route in and the duct was still giving bother but the lads persisted. Three of them pulling for all they were worth to get the cable through. Fair play to the lot of them. I then discover the laptop can only handle 100Mbps Ethernet so was pretty pissed about that. Mac mini (late 2012) comes to the rescue after shifting the cobwebs off it. Only playing with it the past hour or so.
    5463851283.png

Still very unsettled and the pings are poor. Must try and get it set up to test pings with Pingtest.

• Advertisement

Duct was blocked on install day so it was cancelled. Next day we changed the route in and the duct was still giving bother but the lads persisted. Three of them pulling for all they were worth to get the cable through. Fair play to the lot of them. I then discover the laptop can only handle 100Mbps Ethernet so was pretty pissed about that. Mac mini (late 2012) comes to the rescue after shifting the cobwebs off it. Only playing with it the past hour or so.
    5463851283.png

Still very unsettled and the pings are poor. Must try and get it set up to test pings with Pingtest.

What server are you going off? Select the Vodafone server itself, usually the servers have only got a 1Gb connection themselves so if anyone else is doing a speedtest at same time as you then it will slow you down.

Best thing would be to download a large file from Heanet and just run a ping via the CLI on your macbook. The thing with having a 1Gb/s connection is that it almost impossible to find servers that will max it out.

Sounds like it was a difficult install!!

Advertisement