Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

digiman wrote: »
    Best thing would be to download a large file from Heanet and just run a ping via the CLI on your macbook. The thing with having a 1Gb/s connection is that it almost impossible to find servers that will max it out.

I see that mentioned on a continual basis but no evidence to show it. Testing on 1G connections I never see any unexpected slowdown.

If you're big enough to operate a node you're big enough to use 4x1G or 2x10G in LACP.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

My ping's were poor at first but are consistently 4ms now on WiFi and ethernet
    ED E wrote: »
    I see that mentioned on a continual basis but no evidence to show it. Testing on 1G connections I never see any unexpected slowdown.

If you're big enough to operate a node you're big enough to use 4x1G or 2x10G in LACP.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

I'd be interested in some tracerts in cmd PeadarB, are they any lower than efibre?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Hey Ed E,

Bizarrely, Ookla allow hosting with as little as 100M! Like WTF? Was just looking at this last week. Might be out of date, in fairness. I'd say plenty of hosts have 10Gb peering but still have 1Gb NIC.

I've stood in front of one of the well-known Irish speedtest.net servers in a DC (can't say which one but it's a regional one) and it is running on a Dell R410 on a single 1Gb NIC, even though the box has 2xNIC. The host is running one other very light workload on it too.

Ookla seem to insist on bare metal at least, rather than on a VM which is fair enough.

http://www.ookla.com/support/a84598408
    Network Capacity
    Uplink/Upstream Capacity of +100 Mbps (towns & small cities) and 1 Gbps (large cities & metropolitan areas)
    Downlink/Downstream Capacity of +100 Mbps (towns & small cities) and 1 Gbps (large cities & metropolitan areas)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Hey Ed E,

Bizarrely, Ookla allow hosting with as little as 100M! Like WTF? Was just looking at this last week. Might be out of date, in fairness. I'd say plenty of hosts have 10Gb peering but still have 1Gb NIC.

I've stood in front of one of the well-known Irish speedtest.net servers in a DC (can't say which one but it's a regional one) and it is running on a Dell R410 on a single 1Gb NIC, even though the box has 2xNIC. The host is running one other very light workload on it too.

Ookla seem to insist on bare metal at least, rather than on a VM which is fair enough.

http://www.ookla.com/support/a84598408
    Network Capacity
    Uplink/Upstream Capacity of +100 Mbps (towns & small cities) and 1 Gbps (large cities & metropolitan areas)
    Downlink/Downstream Capacity of +100 Mbps (towns & small cities) and 1 Gbps (large cities & metropolitan areas)

+1, can also say for a fact that I've seen the same recently but from one of the ISPs that you would have thought would have had more than 1Gb/s.

To be fair to them it's only in the last year since FTTH started to roll out that this has become and issue (if you can call it an issue) and as far as the ISP is concerned it's probably not something on the top of their list of priorities!!

• Advertisement

Oops, seems you're correct
    NB: Client machines using 1Gb ports so I cant properly test >1Gb

Ballina Communications: 100Mb
    Blacknight Carlow: 1000Mb
    Digiweb Dublin: 1000Mb
    Net1 Eniskillen: 1000Mb
    Eir Dublin: >2Gb
    Three Dublin: ~1Gb

10Gb from the parent building but most of the access network is only 1Gb :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Oops, seems you're correct
    NB: Client machines using 1Gb ports so I cant properly test >1Gb

Ballina Communications: 100Mb
    Blacknight Carlow: 1000Mb
    Digiweb Dublin: 1000Mb
    Net1 Eniskillen: 1000Mb
    Eir Dublin: >2Gb
    Three Dublin: ~1Gb

10Gb from the parent building but most of the access network is only 1Gb :(

Where did you find this info?

digiman wrote: »
    Where did you find this info?

I ran the tests myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Why are the pings so high?

Will that even out in time?

Or is it that it can't be speedtested properly via Ookla?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Why are the pings so high?

Will that even out in time?

Or is it that it can't be speedtested properly via Ookla?

So high? 15-21ms is not high for a retail service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I get pings off 8-11 from speedtest on average, I do notice higher pings in my Mothers UPC connection, just thought the pings seemed high for the new service...

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

What? Retail service? Are you implying that the latency is higher for the retail customers compared to the commercial? How so, Could you please elaborate more on that, ED E

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    What? Retail service? Are you implying that the latency is higher for the retail customers compared to the commercial? How so, Could you please elaborate more on that, ED E

I was comparing to B2B fibre products which generally get better interconnectivity on the following hops.

@Fieldog the latency there isnt from the new service(GPON), its from that access layer to where your packets hit the public net.

Fieldog wrote: »
    I get pings off 8-11 from speedtest on average, I do notice higher pings in my Mothers UPC connection, just thought the pings seemed high for the new service...

I was on the similar boat as you, except i was getting those similar ping results on a DSL line, So i understand the confusion.
    I think some people are surprised by the ping results being a little higher than expected, is because it is advertised as 100% FTTH for what its worth....?!?!
    I have a friend in Londonderry also with a FTTH who is getting an incredible ping times of 5-7 in England, but the difference is he is on the dedicated commercial internet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Congrats peadar. I'd like to see a traceroute too.

#TeamYellow

I was comparing to B2B fibre products which generally get better interconnectivity on the following hops.

ED E, having said that do you think that Siros dedicated symmetrical business broadband (P2P) will have better inter connectivity compared to their retail home broadband (GPON)?

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    ED E, having said that do you think that Siros dedicated symmetrical business broadband (P2P) will have better inter connectivity compared to their retail home broadband (GPON)?

I would guess so. If they're offering dark glass for leasing then you've none of the AAA to go through.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Has anyone gone with vodafone for siro and phone?
    How is that working? Is the phone through the modem/siro, or was it a previous install?

I am hearing it needs to go through the modem, otherwise youre paying loads for the line rental.

Has anyone gone with vodafone for siro and phone?
    How is that working? Is the phone through the modem/siro, or was it a previous install?

I am hearing it needs to go through the modem, otherwise youre paying loads for the line rental.

Yep, its VOIP. Exactly the same as every Virgin customer in the country. If you want to use your homes extension sockets you can backfeed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 imass

Hi needs set down line and be fine. Should be about 3 ms ping☺

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 i_davison

Hi i like probably quite a few eir customers in Letterkenny have been given the option of ending there contracts early as i got a letter on Monday informing me that my contract will be increasing in price by €8 a month. The great part of this is that I can cancel my contract and move to Siro and Vodafone Lightspeed. I have ordered the 350/70 package. I have been on eir 1gb FTTH package since march and have not been happy with it. Can anyone tell me what KN install on the day in terms of hardware setup etc who have lightspeed in already and connection speeds they are getting. Thanks.

When kn installed eir ftth they set me up with a huawei HG8010 GPON Terminal does Vodafone use the same GPON or something different with lightspeed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

On Radio Kerry this morning. Said that SIRO will be available to Tralee customers from Monday through Vodaphone. 1,000 homes will have it available now. 8,000 should be completed by Christmas. The plan is to cover all 10/12K homes in the Tralee town footprint. SIRO's commercial manager said that any move to Phase 2 would depend on the commercial results from Phase 1 (50 towns).

i_davison wrote: »
    When kn installed eir ftth they set me up with a huawei HG8010 GPON Terminal does Vodafone use the same GPON or something different with lightspeed?
    Hi i like probably quite a few eir customers in Letterkenny have been given the option of ending there contracts early as i got a letter on Monday informing me that my contract will be increasing in price by €8 a month. The great part of this is that I can cancel my contract and move to Siro and Vodafone Lightspeed. I have ordered the 350/70 package. I have been on eir 1gb FTTH package since march and have not been happy with it. Can anyone tell me what KN install on the day in terms of hardware setup etc who have lightspeed in already and connection speeds they are getting. Thanks.

Its more GPON, but the ONT used may be different. They may also bring it into a different point using their duct instead of OpenEirs.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Wow, lucky so and so's. The option of two different 1Gb/s FTTH operators.

Hopefully that will be the way for everyone in the country in the not too distant future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

What are you not happy about with EIR FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭satguy

bk wrote: »
    Wow, lucky so and so's. The option of two different 1Gb/s FTTH operators.

Who would have thought that,, even 6 years back,, How far we have come.

And for people like me in their 50's, we have seen it all, even that white dot on the screen that sent us all to bed, now just seems like a bad dream..

Eir ftth are not giving me the speeds pretty proud mixed or anywhere near to it I am on the 1gbps package am get just a max of 220mbps on my iPad the same speed I was getting on the 350mbps package

The only difference is the upload speed of 95mbps, Siro Vodafone promises 200mbps upload. Although I am going for the 350mbps package with Vodafone should get over a hundred download more than Eir's 1gbps package!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Eir ftth are not giving me the speeds pretty proud mixed or anywhere near to it I am on the 1gbps package am get just a max of 220mbps on my iPad the same speed I was getting on the 350mbps package
    You will be in for a big surprise when you change to vodafone because it will be the exact same.

Advertisement