Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 i_davison

How do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,083 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

i_davison wrote: »
    Eir ftth are not giving me the speeds pretty proud mixed or anywhere near to it I am on the 1gbps package am get just a max of 220mbps on my iPad the same speed I was getting on the 350mbps package

But can the Wi-Fi on the iPad handle more than 220mbps?

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought most devices available now are limited by the Wi-Fi technology

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NIC-Teaming.jpg

Does your iPad have one of these? Nope. Can it possibly pull 1000Mbps? Nope.

You signing up to 1Gb is like somebody without a driving licence buying a Ferrari. If you don't know the basics of wireless you really really dont need that service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭jd

i_davison wrote:
    Eir ftth are not giving me the speeds pretty proud mixed or anywhere near to it I am on the 1gbps package am get just a max of 220mbps on my iPad the same speed I was getting on the 350mbps package

You won't get 1g using WiFi on Siro either. You need to test using cat5e cable to a device using a gigabit ethernet card

It's an iPad Air 2 and it's meant to work at speeds over 800mbps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

That's in a lab within a few feet of the router with no other interference. Realistically you prob won't ever get over 300mb over wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Those are theoretical speeds in lab conditions. In a home setup though they are not achievable or even close to it.

I've got the latest Iphone 6s with a Netgear R7000 AC1900 wifi router along with Virgin 360Mb and 4 speed tests within a few minutes the speeds I got were:

Download
    243Mb/s
    142Mb/s
    172Mb/s
    155Mb/s

With my macbook pro I could get the following:

303Mb/s
    240Mb/s
    306Mb/s

If I had Eir 1000Mb or Vodafone 1000Mb I wouldn't expect it to be much faster to be honest.

ED E's analogy is perfect to be honest, you probably have no need what so ever for 1Gb/s. What would you even want 1Gb/s on an ipad for anyway? Is there any application that would even make use out of it?

The only way you will hit close to the 1Gb/s is by using a macbook with a 1Gb NIC. Most windows laptops will struggle with going over 300Mb/s with a 1Gb NIC out of the box.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 334 ✭✭skywanderer

digiman wrote: »
    Those are theoretical speeds in lab conditions. In a home setup though they are not achievable or even close to it.

I've got the latest Iphone 6s with a Netgear R7000 AC1900 wifi router along with Virgin 360Mb and 4 speed tests within a few minutes the speeds I got were:

Download
    243Mb/s
    142Mb/s
    172Mb/s
    155Mb/s

With my macbook pro I could get the following:

303Mb/s
    240Mb/s
    306Mb/s

If I had Eir 1000Mb or Vodafone 1000Mb I wouldn't expect it to be much faster to be honest.

ED E's analogy is perfect to be honest, you probably have no need what so ever for 1Gb/s. What would you even want 1Gb/s on an ipad for anyway? Is there any application that would even make use out of it?

The only way you will hit close to the 1Gb/s is by using a macbook with a 1Gb NIC. Most windows laptops will struggle with going over 300Mb/s with a 1Gb NIC out of the box.

It would make syncing and backing up to iCloud a simplistic affair instead of an overnight affair when the phone or iPad is charging and it takes advantage of the downtime to sync and back itself up.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It would make syncing and backing up to iCloud a simplistic affair instead of an overnight affair when the phone or iPad is charging and it takes advantage of the downtime to sync and back itself up.

That's a true statement if you are discussing the difference between 1Mbit and 1Gbps. If you describe a backup being an overnight affair (e.g. 7 hours for example), it would need to be over 1Tb in size, a bit troublesome anyway considering the FUP is 1Tb

The basic iCloud storage is 5Gb, which would take under two minutes to sync on a 350Mbit connection.

iCloud only backs up any new data so there's still little to no need for those speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

I got it as a new customer, signed up on the door though.
    Not getting the 150 dl speed though according to my speed tests...
    guil wrote: »
    Are you testing it on wifi?
    user1842 wrote: »
    The max you will get is 80 to 90 Mb/s (wired) on your laptop (you don't get the full 100 Mb/s due to overheads with regards to error correction, compression and packet size). Upgrade your laptop or buy a faster wireless adaptor or USB network interface card to see better speeds.

New chromebook.
    I am now testing WiFi DL speeds in 140's and 150's, and UL speeds in high 20's Mbps.
    On Lightspeed 150. Yeah I am quite happy with that!:D

Chimichangas can u upload a few photos of the setup you now have I am getting lightspeed set up on Thursday thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Flibbles

Chimichangas can u upload a few photos of the setup you now have I am getting lightspeed set up on Thursday thanks

I really urge you to read the other replies in this thread, you're going to be incredibly dissapointed.

Its basically a lead DOWN from the ESB meter box going into your house via an external box, with a corresponding internal box in line with the internal box, that is then passed to another device alongside it to convert the fibreoptic signal to broadband? And then it goes into the modem.
    I dont have pictures to hand. Think there are some earlier in this thread.

Sounds like it involves drilling through the cavity am I right?

Did eir not do the same thing?

No drilling just fed it through the telephone box on gable wall where it was connected into a opn box

• Registered Users Posts: 16 X3Y2B7

SIRO contractor came around today asking for permission to install a riser at the side of the house to reach the nearby ESB minipillar substation type thing - presumably once this is done I can order FTTH from vodafone/someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 X3Y2B7

SIRO contractor came around today asking for permission to install a riser at the side of the house to reach the nearby ESB minipillar substation type thing - presumably once this is done I can order FTTH from vodafone/someone else? Anyone have experience with this and know -how long it takes for them to come around and do the above and how long after that until it goes "live"?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭Nollog

Saw them on Neil Blaney road (Letterkenny) a week or two ago, they're getting closer to me but still feel so far away :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

If your with Vodafone already , is it just a case of increasing your speed or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭511

If your with Vodafone already , is it just a case of increasing your speed or what?

No, they're blowing fibre optic cables in through the duct that feeds electricity into your house. They'll terminate it near your meter box.

If you're with Vodafone now, it's because they're re-selling through eircom's copper telephone lines. ESB, with the help of Vodafone, are building an entirely new infrastructure, purely made out of fibre.

Yes you were right. Drilled through the cavity, and had to be separate to ESB duct.

511 wrote: »
    No, they're blowing fibre optic cables in through the duct that feeds electricity into your house. They'll terminate it near your meter box.

If you're with Vodafone now, it's because they're re-selling through eircom's copper telephone lines. ESB, with the help of Vodafone, are building an entirely new infrastructure, purely made out of fibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Paddy_B

Recently got SIRO and I'm curious as to why Speed Test thinks my ISP is: Department for Work and Pensions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭rob808

Paddy_B wrote: »
    Recently got SIRO and I'm curious as to why Speed Test thinks my ISP is: Department for Work and Pensions?
    Does it really matter are you getting the speed you sign up for.I say it probably a glitch try another speed test site see what it say.

It doesn't matter, was just curious :) All Speed Test sites and others such as https://www.whoismyisp.org/ say the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Paddy_B wrote: »

What speed are you getting?

Haven't got the SpeedTest result, but paying for 350 package.
    Testing against the Vodafone server I get 3ms ping, 362 down and around 70 up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

SIRO going in on a residential street in Tralee near the green.

A long line of trucks down the street.

Whats_App_Image_2016_08_18_at_15_01_11.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

jca wrote: »
    What speed are you getting?
    SIRO likely acquired a block of IP addresses from the Department of Work and Pensions and the label on them hasn't been corrected yet.

Advertisement