Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HD Audio - Can you tell the difference?

• 23-01-2014 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

If you read anything written by an audio magazine they will tell you, yes and it sounds magnificent so you should buy Product x for a trillion euro and don't forget these magic cables made from unicorn hair and pixie dust that will give you the extra fidelity you are craving.

Instead, I'd really like to hear about someone's real life experience with HD audio codecs and whether they truly noticed a difference between these and standard 5.1 audio?

Now comes the reason for the question, I'm looking at the Yamaha YSP-2200 (yes it's a soundbar*) which can decode HD audio, but I'm not sure that I'd really be able to tell the difference between that and let'sd say the Philips HTL 9100 which has detachable speakers and therefore can do a sort of 4.1, but only supports standard Dolby Digital and DTS codecs. These two soundbars are bloody expensive too so I want be to semi-sure that they are the right way to go over something that may be half the price e.g a JBL SB400 (All of these have 5 star What Hi-Fi reviews so it's not easy to pick).

So, as I was rambling here are the questions :

HD Audio - Will it make a difference to a soundbar?
    HD Audio - Does it ever make a difference, in any system? (I am really interested to know if it's just hyperbole or if there is a noticeable change)
    Soundbar - Anyone have any experience of the bars mentioned above and were they good/bad?

*Soundbar - I really don't want 5.1, I curently have a soundbar and love it so I won't be going back to 5.1 ever again, or at least until they perfect a 5.1 wireless speaker system!

Appreciate any comments you may have.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Its a definitely crisper and cleaner sound. Especially from Blu-rays.

I own a 5.1 Onkyo Set-up with receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 xen0phon

Cheers for the reply, since I wrote this I popped into HiFi-hut to demo a few things and have decided to get the Q acoustics 2010's with a centre. I guess there's no substitute for actually hearing speakers in action!

Advertisement