Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPhone 4S WiFi greyed out after iOS7 update

• 23-01-2014 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Hi,

I received a refurbished iPhone 4s off my insurance company. On upgrading it to iOS7 it appears to have experienced a somewhat common phenomenon of greying out my WiFi which doesn't work now. I have restored the phone to factory settings but to no avail.

Is the WiFi effectively banjaxed? Apple said the phone was purchased in Nov. 2011 and so is out of warranty. I've read some crazy advice on the web involving hairdryers and freezers but I don't wanna go down that road.

Should I cut my losses and return to the insurance company? I presume they are required to replace it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭myIdea

This is a hardware problem not software... its probable just a coincidence that you didn't notice before that the wifi wasn't working.

The tricks you found on the net are only temporary and it all boils down to the wifi chip, its over heating or has already burnt-out/dried-out its connections to the motherboard. Either way it needs replacing/re-soldering.

Send your phone back asap... cause I doubt you will find anyone except Apple that will fix it. €€€

• Registered Users Posts: 14 SledgeGalway

Having similar problems at the moment out of warranty since august. Wifi greyed out since december only getting round to trying to sort it now.

I tried all the online solutions but to no avail. Have contacted vodafone and they told me straight up that this fault was an apple problem. I also went into a local phone repair shop and they didn't even look at it and said it was an apple problem.

After contacting apple, they told be about the EU consumer warranty and told me to contact my point of purchase which is vodafone.

Just wondering if anyone has had success in getting results through this. I really don't want to pay for a repair for something that cost so much money in the first place and for something that wasnt caused by me.

Any advice would be brilliant thanks.

Hey, had to set up an account when I came across this thread. Having similar problems at the moment out of warranty since august. Wifi greyed out since december only getting round to trying to sort it now.

I tried all the online solutions but to no avail. Have contacted vodafone and they told me straight up that this fault was an apple problem. I also went into a local phone repair shop and they didn't even look at it and said it was an apple problem.

After contacting apple, they told be about the EU consumer warranty and told me to contact my point of purchase which is vodafone.

Just wondering if anyone has had success in getting results through this. I really don't want to pay for a repair for something that cost so much money in the first place and for something that wasnt caused by me.

Would this cover it? http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Hey, had to set up an account when I came across this thread. Having similar problems at the moment out of warranty since august. Wifi greyed out since december only getting round to trying to sort it now.

Would this cover it? http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/shopping/shopping-abroad/guarantees/index_en.htm

I would think that should definitely cover it. Warranty is only a limited protection offered by a manufacturer. Your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act are much more robust. There is no year limit on those protections and rights. The acid test used by a judge in determining these kind of cases is "reasonable expectation". Is it reasonable to expect a 600+ phone to survive fully functional for more than a year? Hell yes! You should definitely fight for your rights on it. You can take a case with the Small Claims Court too. You pay around 25 euro and the rest of your costs are covered. Vodafone however would have to provide representation for themselves in court and pay for it. Id say they'd back down pretty quickly if you went ahead with the action.

Thanks for the reply. I see i posted twice by accident. I'm going to hit up the vodafone store in the morning again and think i will print off some of this information and be very persistent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

I would think that should definitely cover it. Warranty is only a limited protection offered by a manufacturer. Your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act are much more robust. There is no year limit on those protections and rights. The acid test used by a judge in determining these kind of cases is "reasonable expectation". Is it reasonable to expect a 600+ phone to survive fully functional for more than a year? Hell yes! You should definitely fight for your rights on it. You can take a case with the Small Claims Court too. You pay around 25 euro and the rest of your costs are covered. Vodafone however would have to provide representation for themselves in court and pay for it. Id say they'd back down pretty quickly if you went ahead with the action.

Agree with this 100% - if the OP gets no satisfaction from the Insurance company, he should also go this route. Irish law provides for a longer period than 2 years. Even Apple accept this. See here and note footnote no. 1.

Call the National Consumer Agency for further information.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭WhyTheFace

Hi,

Just an update. I e-mailed the insurance company a few hours after it was delivered. I said the wifi never worked but didn't mention updating to iOS7. I don't think that's important as it's a basic requirement. They told me to return it to them no questions asked and they will send me out another replacement.

Should insurance companies not really provide newer models? I don't mind receiving a 2nd hand refurbished phone but that one was 26 months old.

Advertisement