Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long to fix broken appliances?

Options
  • 23-01-2014 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭

Our washing machine stopped working last Friday. We informed the LL by text on Saturday morning. Heard nothing back. Texted again on Sunday. Received a text Monday saying that repair man would be sent out "when available". It's now Thursday and I am running out of clean clothes! Any idea how long is a reasonable time to have to wait for something like this? :( I'm tempted to start forwarding on launderette receipts but I dont particularly want to go down any contentious route unless I have to.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

have you rang him?

Last time my washing machine broke it took about a week from when it was reported and then replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

godtabh wrote: »
    have you rang him?

Last time my washing machine broke it took about a week from when it was reported and then replaced.

Didnt see the need since I received confirmation text acknowledging problem and telling me it would be sorted. A week seems ok I guess, just that I need clean clothes for work :( Might call this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Eldarion

2 weeks seems standard to have a problem like this fully rectified. A week without having someone even look at it might be pushing it though.

If it's longer than two weeks then go down the laundrette receipt route and agree with him that they can be deducted from the rent.

Eldarion wrote: »
    2 weeks seems standard to have a problem like this fully rectified. A week without having someone even look at it might be pushing it though.

If it's longer than two weeks then go down the laundrette receipt route and agree with him that they can be deducted from the rent.

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You basically wasted two days by messing about with text messages, when a phone call on Friday when the problem occured might have had someone out to look at it on Saturday or the following Monday.

If youre waiting more than a few days for the repairman to have a look then Id suggest getting in contact with a few repairmen of your own and see what kind of time frame they can give you to call out and take a look. If its a day or so (as I suspect it probably will be) then get on to the landlord and tell them that you have found someone who can look at the problem quickly and see if they will authorize you to get them to come and have a look.

If they are really dragging your heals then you are entitled to inform them that you will be getting the problem fixed at your expense and will be deducting the cost from the rent.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    You basically wasted two days by messing about with text messages, when a phone call on Friday when the problem occured might have had someone out to look at it on Saturday or the following Monday.

If youre waiting more than a few days for the repairman to have a look then Id suggest getting in contact with a few repairmen of your own and see what kind of time frame they can give you to call out and take a look. If its a day or so (as I suspect it probably will be) then get on to the landlord and tell them that you have found someone who can look at the problem quickly and see if they will authorize you to get them to come and have a look.

If they are really dragging your heals then you are entitled to inform them that you will be getting the problem fixed at your expense and will be deducting the cost from the rent.

Well LL confirmed on Monday that she knew of problem - and to date has not sent anyone - thats 4 days...how would informing her on Friday have ensured she reacted in one day?

I think I will ring around though, thats a great idea. Thanks.

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Well LL confirmed on Monday that she knew of problem - and to date has not sent anyone - thats 4 days...how would informing her on Friday have ensured she reacted in one day?

I think I will ring around though, thats a great idea. Thanks.

She might not have acted on it on the day, but at least if you spoke to her in person over the phone on Friday you wouldnt have been waiting a whole weekend for a response.

I just feel that notifying someone of a problem via email/text is a needless waste of time, when picking up the phone and speaking to them in person will get a much more satisfactory and timely response. If a landlord is inclined to drag their heals in fixing something then contacting via text/email is also giving them a better opporunity to delay getting it sorted.

She might not have acted on it on the day, but at least if you spoke to her in person over the phone on Friday you wouldnt have been waiting a whole weekend for a response.

I just feel that notifying someone of a problem via email/text is a needless waste of time, when picking up the phone and speaking to them in person will get a much more satisfactory and timely response. If a landlord is inclined to drag their heals in fixing something then contacting via text/email is also giving them a better opporunity to delay getting it sorted.

There's no guarantee of that. Fact remains she knew of problem on Monday and come Thursday has still not done anything.

Have been in touch with repair company who can call out this evening so I will call her now and tell her this. See what she says. It might be handier for her anyway to do it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

There's no guarantee of that. Fact remains she knew of problem on Monday and come Thursday has still not done anything.

Have been in touch with repair company who can call out this evening so I will call her now and tell her this. See what she says. It might be handier for her anyway to do it that way.

Pick up the phone and get something sorted out. Texting isn't as good, people dont read them, ignore them etc. At least on the phone you can get feedback and agree to a plan of action.

If you have no plan and resolution in progress by Monday you should send a letter stating the issues and giving them say 3 days resolve them, otherwise you will remedy the issue yourself and take the cost out of the rent or you will terminate your tenancy.

Pick up the phone and get something sorted out. Texting isn't as good, people dont read them, ignore them etc. At least on the phone you can get feedback and agree to a plan of action.

If you have no plan and resolution in progress by Monday you should send a letter stating the issues and giving them say 3 days resolve them, otherwise you will remedy the issue yourself and take the cost out of the rent or you will terminate your tenancy.

Called. Still nothing concrete. Vague as hell. "The repair man will probably call you tomorrow".

Edit: just called the management company and apparently she only logged the fault early this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Called. Still nothing concrete. Vague as hell. "The repair man will probably call you tomorrow".

Edit: just called the management company and apparently she only logged the fault early this afternoon.

probably tomorrow isn't good enough, not 4 days after they acknowledged it. Up to you if you want to stick it to them but there's no harm getting a letter to them. Did you say anything on the phone about fixing it yourself and billing them?

probably tomorrow isn't good enough, not 4 days after they acknowledged it. Up to you if you want to stick it to them but there's no harm getting a letter to them. Did you say anything on the phone about fixing it yourself and billing them?

Yes, I said I found a repair company (which is true) just across from us who can call out this evening and give estimate, and that I would pay, keep receipt and deduct from rent. No. :rolleyes: Maybe she'll post me up some clean socks and pants so I can be clean at work ;)I'm going to type and print letter this evening before I leave work, and if I dont hear from the repair guy by tomorrow morning I will stick it in the post.

To be honest, if a week goes by and someone hasnt even been out to look at it then I think you can start thinking about taking matters into your own hands, whether the landlord agrees or not. Youve given them enough time and opportunity at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

I'm a landlord, and i can tell you I don't think the delay is at all acceptable. She should have a handyperson that they can contact and send out to you. If it was me I would have contacted my guy on the Monday and hopefully had them out to you by the Tuesday or Wednesday.

Keep on top of her.

WRT calls v texts I see no difference. I personally prefer texts as I don't particularly want to get into silly conversations. Also from your perspective, you have proof of what exactly was said/agreed.

Well repair guy called last night and washing machine needs to be replaced. He said its more than ten years old :rolleyes:

Well repair guy called last night and washing machine needs to be replaced. He said its more than ten years old :rolleyes:

How long will that take? You should probably speak to LL about laundrette fees.

No excuse for replacement taking more than a couple of days. I would hold off on requesting cleaning fees just yet, but would consider it if waiting more than a few days for the replacement.

No excuse for replacement taking more than a couple of days. I would hold off on requesting cleaning fees just yet, but would consider it if waiting more than a few days for the replacement.

Its been a week without a wash though. They'll be down to the scratchy underpants soon.

Its been a week without a wash though. They'll be down to the scratchy underpants soon.

I had thought about this but tbh I was trying to avoid conflict as much as possible. I'm luck that I have my parents car at the moment as they are away and can drive to their house to do laundry. Still, exam next week so no time for that this weekend :( Running out of work clothes

I wouldn't bother about looking for laundrette fees as it will just create bad blood. However, that's assuming the machine is replaced within reasonable time. There is nothing stopping your LL picking one up in DID tomorrow and getting it delivered by Tuesday. If there's any way you can make yourself available for delivery, that should speed things up

• Advertisement

I wouldn't bother about looking for laundrette fees as it will just create bad blood. However, that's assuming the machine is replaced within reasonable time. There is nothing stopping your LL picking one up in DID tomorrow and getting it delivered by Tuesday. If there's any way you can make yourself available for delivery, that should speed things up

Bad blood me arse :) This is a business, not a good will enterprise. The agent didn't even ask someone to look at a broken appliance for 4 days, they should have offered straight away to sort out laundrette fees.

So the OP has a LL who isn't responsive under good circumstances. They've finally got to a position where things seem to finally start moving. Yeah, you're right. Arguing over a few euros is the right way to go and will definitely get the LL to rush this through.

So the OP has a LL who isn't responsive under good circumstances. They've finally got to a position where things seem to finally start moving. Yeah, you're right. Arguing over a few euros is the right way to go and will definitely get the LL to rush this through.

The LL can be unresponsive if they wish, that just allows the OP to quit or take the money out of the rent. The LL isnt doing this out of the goodness of their heart and may be put off if you are mean to them. It is a business and they have a legal responsibility.

Cant get through to LL or management company, and I dont fancy my chances of getting through after Friday evening so its looking like another weekend with no machine. So close to texting saying I will buy a machine and deduct from next rent lol

Cant get through to LL or management company, and I dont fancy my chances of getting through after Friday evening so its looking like another weekend with no machine. So close to texting saying I will buy a machine and deduct from next rent lol

Did you send a letter outlining the issue with an expected resolution date? You have to follow the correct legal route before you can deduct anything.

Did you send a letter outlining the issue with an expected resolution date? You have to follow the correct legal route before you can deduct anything.

Really? Do you know if I could find a template to that effect or willI just compose it? Thanks :)

Really? Do you know if I could find a template to that effect or willI just compose it? Thanks :)

There's no template. There's not even agreement that a text isn't sufficient. Better to play it safe though.

There's no template. There's not even agreement that a text isn't sufficient. Better to play it safe though.

True. Maddening, I've so many clothes to wash :mad:

Sorry to bump but it seems our request for a new washing appliance has got the LL really peeved and we've received a solicitors letter telling us to get out by Feb 25th :(... the fuuck?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

have you checked power at the plug are there any lights on,have you pushed in any buttons
    try opening door then close it again

Advertisement