Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm looking for someone to do a home survey

Options
  • 23-01-2014 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Our bill in Oct and Nov was €150 more tan usual. We feel there maybe something drawning power. Is there any service where someone will call to house and check

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

Get a owl energy meter from b&q, very easy to install, no electrical wiring needed and that way you can switch off/on things and see what's using the energy.

I have one installed and right now my house is using 225 watts with only the fridge on and tv hifi in standby. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi tryingDIY,

Is the bill based on a reading or an estimate? If it is based on a reading, was the previous bill (or bills) based on an estimate? If there is under-estimation, the next bill based on a reading will "catch up" on the difference. Do send us a private message with your account details if you wish (confirmation that you are the named account-holder, your Electric Ireland account number and your name/address/telephone number).

To check whether there is an issue with internal wiring/appliance(s) switch off/unplug every device, then turn off the trip-switch. After about 20 minutes, turn the trip-switch back on, and plug in/switch on each item individually, checking the meter activity for each one (there is no need to switch each one off again). If one particular device is causing excessive activity on the meter, it is an indication of it being faulty. The ideal way to carry this test out would be, if possible, to have one person at the meter and the other person switching on each appliance.

If you would like any further investigation carried out on internal wiring, it would be something to be checked by an electrical contractor.

The service that we would organise where a technician from ESB Networks calls to the address, is having the meter checked. Internal appliances/wiring would need to be checked first though.

Our Appliance Calculator is also a handy way of gauging what your appliances are using in kWh. And as robertxxx recommends, an energy monitor is ideal for such a check also. Thanks for the suggestion, Robert. :)

One example of something run-of-the-mill that causes extra consumption is a fridge requiring defrosting/its seal not gripping properly.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tryingDIY

HI,

I suppose i should mention there is a farm attached to my meter, so its not possible to plug everything in and out all over the farm. I know a few electricians so i'l try them to see what they suggest. I thought there was a Ad on Tv where someone would call out to your house and survey the whole house.

Thanks for the replies

Susan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi again Susan,

There is a way for the customer to do an online check in relation to energy needs/cost-saving tips - the Energy Saving Wizard.

There is also further info on our Home Energy Services page.

Kind regards,
    Una

Advertisement