Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP - Vets & payment plans?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Hes gorgeous!
    I wonder what else is in the mix there - he doesnt look hugely overweight, as you say, he is certainly a big boy. If a few vets have given you an ideal weight of 45kg, then sounds like you are getting there.
    GREAT to hear that he is recovered and well again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh he's lovely!! He definitely has a settery face I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Anacou wrote: »
    He's not a purebred retriever. We were told he was a retriever x red setter but there is definitely something else (very large breed) in there.
    He's absolutely gorgeous Anacou but I don't see the "large breed" influence myself at all. Even at the top end of the Retriever scale he would be 37kg give or take a few kg (I allow +10%).Setter males even less.

The BCS (Body Condition Score) is what's routinely used to generally gauge an animals size/body fat composition. 1-5 is the level. 1 being very poor (thin/skeletal/emaciated) and 5 being (obese/morbidly obese). I'd put your lad at a 4 (they've classed it as "stout") in the link here
    wrote:
    General fleshy appearance. Ribs palpable with difficulty. Noticeable fat deposits over lumbar spine and tail base. Abdominal tuck may be absent.
    7mUm9A.jpg

Not knowing his breed history can be problematic but gauging body scores is always helpful anyway regardless of this.

Delighted he's back on the mend, but agree you could work on bringing his BCS down to a definite 3...borderline 2 with time.It will be HUGELY beneficial in the long run you know yourself.

This isn't meant to be in anyway insulting or offensive ok, it's just what we're reading/seeing in this thread.Would love to see more pics (or a vid) to properly gauge his size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

To me in that picture he looks to not have any waist & I would consider him fairly overweight.

I keep my own dogs very fit & muscled.

Knine wrote: »
    To me in that picture he looks to not have any waist & I would consider him fairly overweight.

I keep my own dogs very fit & muscled.
    Judging by that photo between 1 to 5 what would you put him as Knine? Remembering that this scale is a rough guide and doesn't take into account any/all of the conditions that can cause weight loss/gain.

• Advertisement

I would put him at a 4 because if you look at his front he is actually quite narrow. His head appears small due to the extra weight. His body around the middle is fairly large & he has no definition to his loin at all.

He looks to be a tall racy type of dog rather then the heavier body of a retriever. He is a lovely boy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

try vet college maybe they will do it for free

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

anniehoo wrote: »
    He's absolutely gorgeous Anacou but I don't see the "large breed" influence myself at all. Even at the top end of the Retriever scale he would be 37kg give or take a few kg (I allow +10%).Setter males even less.

I know what you're saying makes sense, but in reality, I know a couple of Setter x Labs and Setter x Retrievers and they're HUGE! If you take the chunky Retriever body, and place it on the tall stilts of setter's legs, you've got yourself a chunky, tall dog.. certainly somewhere in the mid 40kg range. My GSD is 40kg, she's a fairly big GSD for a female, and one of these Setter x Labs that I know is several inches taller and chunkier than she is.
    That said, Anacou's dog looks a little.. erm... portly :o, but is heading in the right direction :)

DBB wrote: »
    That said, Anacou's dog looks a little.. erm... portly :o, but is heading in the right direction :)
    Agree, but there's "room for improvement" ;)

Anacou hope you're not feeling insulted here :o This is what happens in my head when pics are posted! It's all meant in genuine interest in your dog. What's his name?
    try vet college maybe they will do it for free
    :confused:

He kinda reminds me of a Hovawart. I had several of these in my classes last week.

He certainly looks like a fairly tall dog but definitely needs to lose weight. I have also seen some huge crosses & even some huge pure breeds

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Knine wrote: »
    He kinda reminds me of a Hovawart. I had several of these in my classes last week.

Lol, I remember the first Hovawart I met years ago, who was actually very like Annacou's dog except he had no white on him. I had only ever seen pictures of the black and tan dogs, and didn't know they came in this solid colour. So, I said to his ridiculously proud and pompous owner, "oooh! What sort of cross is HE?":o
    Well, yer man nearly blew a gasket... "I BEG your pardon... THAT is a PEDIGREE Hovawart" :eek:

Heh heh :pac:

lol I had 2 colours present. Black & Tan & also a blonde. Really lovely dogs.

This evening there was a Swiss Mountain Dog!

The op's dog is a beautiful boy whatever his genetic makeup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

Don't forget you can still get insurance in case anything else creeps up in the future. I have a giant breed and insurance has been a lifesaver these past 2 years!

Advertisement