Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what else can i make with scone dough

Options
  • 23-01-2014 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all, I have a couple of packets of scone mix sitting at the back of my press!!! Is there anything besides scones I can make with them, and have you any interesting reciepe ideas using shop bought cake or baking mix, just curious :-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You could do a coblber - stew topped with scone mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I have memories of my Mam making ring donuts from scone mix on a very wet mid term years ago. They were really very good (but I was 10 and would have eaten sugar from a jar given half a chance)

Definitely second Beer's cobbler suggestion. Have had that recently and it is good eating

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Rachel Allen does a lovely chicken casserole with cheesy herb scones/dumplings on top:
    http://www.goodtoknow.co.uk/recipes/433423/Rachel-Allen-s-chicken-casserole

If you're looking for recipes that use cake packs American recipe sites are great for that. I think american 'biscuits' and scones are roughly the same thing, Pinterest has some interesting photos (that lead to recipes) of tasty things made using biscuit mix

This cake looks so good & uses a box of chocolate fudge cake as its base

Dark-Chocolate-Raspberry-Cake.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

One of the local cafe's here use scone base as thr base if pizza instead of dough.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

I read that as 'what else can I make with a scone though?' and started to invision all sorts of ideas and concoctions like ham and cheese scone toasties, etc... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Miaireland wrote: »
    One of the local cafe's here use scone base as thr base if pizza instead of dough.

Was going to suggest as a pizza base. Not tried it but am sure I had heard it somewhere before.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭dm1979

Some very interesting ideas there cobbler sounds good, pizza base I wouldnt be so sure off!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Scone pizza base was something I learned in first year in Home Ec. Obviously it's not like a yeast pizza base but I thought it was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,041 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

dm1979 wrote: »
    pizza base I wouldnt be so sure off!

I wouldn't bother - I tried it years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Darina Allen has a recipe for scone pizza base that's quite nice, as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

My first venture into pizza making was scone/soda dough base,then i tried my hand using yeast and never looked back. Really nice also when the flour was nicely spiced up with a medium-hot oven and baked that bit longer.

The cobbler and RAs chicken casserole sound lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

Scone pizza base was something I learned in first year in Home Ec. Obviously it's not like a yeast pizza base but I thought it was nice.

Pizza with scone base in home ec has scarred me for life, disgusting idea I think! Or maybe my cooking wasn't good! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

What's in the packet mixes? You might be able to treat it like a rich flour for other recipes.

I really enjoyed pizza-scone but doughy things are my favourite things

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

A savoury cobbler might be quite nice. Use chicken, onions and garlic and make a white sauce and then add the scones on top.

I make pizza with the kids in school all the time using the scone base and the majority love it. I think it needs wholemeal flour to add a nice nutty taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I have an old odlums recipe where you divide the dough in two, roll into circles to fit a tin, chop up a couple of big apples add a couple of tablespoons of sugar, an ounce or so of butter chopped small and whatever spice you like to the apples and spread it on one of the scone circles in the tin. Cover with the other circle and squash down the sides a bit so that too much juice doesn't leak out during cooking.

Another would be to chop two medium cooking apples to 1cm dice and mix through the dough. Sprinkle some brown sugar on top and bake

When we were kids, my mother used make apple tarts with scone mixture. They were delicious! You could also use it as a crumble topping, just don't add any liquid, just butter/marg.

Advertisement