Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are all headstones now imported?

Options
  • 23-01-2014 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Last year I had to order a headstone. I was told that these days all headstones are imported and I ordered on that basis. I have had a lot of issues with that supplier.

I am now looking at ordering another headstone. This time I was wondering there was a way to get the headstone erected quicker, I assume to do this it would need to be made in Ireland.

Are there supplier’s actually making headstones in Ireland anymore?

Have you any recommendations in Sligo or the surrounding counties?

Many thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Hmm... it's possible that a lot of the stone for the blanks is imported, but I know they used to cut their own headstones in Galway city, and that's only a few years ago...

Either way, I know that the last headstone I had to get put up, it wasn't a problem. Went in, picked a stone, chose what I wanted on it, and it was done and dusted within a fortnight. The bigger issue regarding waiting period is that usually you have to wait for the grave to settle first....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Hi Op, all granite headstones (those of various different colours - Black, Grey, Red, Blue etc) are imported from either China or India, although most Monumental Tradesmen would have large amounts of those types of headstones already in stock in their yards or their suppliers yards. Unless you wanted something unique or maybe the particular Headstone you wanted was not in stock when you ordered it, then yes, you would have to wait as the stone shipments can take months to come from India and China as most suppliers will wait to fill a shipment container of stones to come from these countries.

Concerning Headstones made in Ireland, Limestone was the Irish indigenous stone that Irish stone cutters used for monumental work here in Ireland, Limestone that was used for centuries to create Celtic crosses for example. Sadly there are only a handfull of these people left that can create such works as the influx of the cheaper granite's from places like China has left Irish limestone and its stone cutting craft nearly extinct. Irish limestone is also very expensive, so sadly, the cheaper foreign granite's that are imported have become more sought after.

My only advice in selecting a monumental tradesman to supply you your new headstone would be to ask locally for a tradesman who has been dong this work for a good number of years. Due to the recession in Ireland, it has seen lots of former builders and construction workers attempt to start up monumental workshops of their own, the vast majority of these people are not even remotely trained in the trade of monumental work which is a totally different craft to building and construction, it has become a serious problem of late and will create further problems down the road for customers who have dealt with these people, as in time, the sub-standard work will deteriorate and by the time it does the majority of these former builders will have returned to building/construction when that sector eventually picks up and leave you in the lurch. Pick a supplier of headstones whose business has been around for years and is well spoken of by other members of your community. That is the best way to go. You have to ask around and maybe look for suppliers that are family run businesses that have/will run for years and look after and remember their customers and are well spoken of.

Hope this helps

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2 textee

Thank you both for your replies. They have been helpful to me and I sure will be of interest to anyone searching on the topic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement