Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

RedRunner wrote: »
    You're in savage form these days OP. Super training going on here!

+1. Gonna be my bet for taking the boards.ie handicap plate in Bohermeen. Huge PB in December with some savage training since. Cracking going OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Monday

AM 6.5m 8.28 pace

PM 4.5m 9.05 pace

A double on the plan for Monday and both were handy recovery efforts, I felt a bit sh1t on the morning run as my body rebelled against me but on the evening jog I felt smashing. I ran the first 2 miles with the OH and the last 2 on my own keeping it all easy. There might be something to this double recovery day idea!

Tuesday 5x1200 (set watch to .75 of a mile) 2.30 jogged recovery

The first speed session in the plan, 5x1200 and I think it came at a good time after a number of weeks of steady running. I was looking forward to the change in focus as much as anything as P&D can be quite samey as we all know.
    The one very specific target for this session was to not flog myself in the middle of a high mileage week. From reading P&D these aren't the key marathon sessions they serve as more complimentary work to improve efficiency and turnover therefore I felt there was no need for an eyeballs out hero session here, just get the reps in :D. My real focus for this week is the PMP session on Saturday so I was also hoping that this might serve as a bit of a sharpener for that too.
    I headed down to the Chapelizod road at Islandbridge for this and as usual there was a headwind in the out of town direction so I knew the splits would be inconsistent between the out and back reps. A 3 three mile warmup and 5-6 short strides and I was off. Splits:

4.27 (5.57 pace)
    4.19 (5.46 pace)
    4.31 (6.01 pace)
    4.22 (5.49 pace)
    4.32 (6.03 pace)

1,3 and 5 were into the wind with 2 and 4 having a tailwind. Rep 1 was by far the toughest and I eased off half way through it as I was was stretching a bit so I knew the rest of the session would go that way if I didn't cop on! The other reps into the wind were more sensible efforts and the wind assisted reps, 2 and 4 were comfortable.
    11 miles in total for the session and nothing earth shattering, in all honesty the sustained "speed" was a bit of a shock to the system at first but that's to be expected after so long away from these efforts. The recovery was pretty generous at a 2.30 jog, also I left the flats at home to save the legs a bit so hopefully those two things mean I recover ok.
    Great session, you are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

+1. Gonna be my bet for taking the boards.ie handicap plate in Bohermeen. Huge PB in December with some savage training since. Cracking going OP!

Cheers lads, its going well at the minute but London is still just a little blip on the horizon, hopefully I can hold it together for another 9 or so weeks, easier said than done!
    I wouldn't waste your money on me in the Bohermeen Half though, I have 8.5 minutes on TRR, his PB is 1.13 so id have to run 1.21 something to have a cut off him. Im gonna try to shoot for the 1.23s so I'm out of the reckoning id say.

Wednesday 15m 7.49 pace
    The 1200s from the previous night left me fairly heavy legged on this and it was a fair slog for the last couple of miles. I guess that's the point of the speedwork on the day before, well it worked a treat as I was pretty shot finishing this. Happy that I could keep it going at a fairly alright pace once I settled in, these midweek 15 milers are tough but are in many ways a big cornerstone of the plan. They definitely toughen you up mentally and physically.

Thursday 10m 8.16 pace
    This one I made sure I was nowhere near dipping under 8 min pace for the run as I was feeling a bit jaded after the previous two days. A nice relaxing run from Kilmainham up the North road as far as the Castleknock gate and back down, it was over before I knew it which was nice. The evenings are really starting to come back too which is brilliant.

Saturday 20 miles with 12@ "Marathon pace"
    This was the key session of the week and I was really dreading it having built it up as impossible in my head beforehand :rolleyes:. I started out with 6 miles easy taking me from home to the middle of the North road. When I started the MP section I immediately felt good hitting 6.45 pace fairly easily and settled in quickly despite a windy enough jaunt up the north road. As I neared the top I saw that the operation transformation 5k was on so my planned route of furze road, furry glen and s bends was out. Instead I turned down chesterfield with the downhill gradient and wind at my back making for healthy splits, I just tried to keep it feeling like marathon pace as best I could as the numbers were skewed here! I was still feeling good as I hit the zoo and turned back up the north road as far as the castleknock gate again but started working harder into the wind this time out. I turned again at Castleknock and headed back down the north road as far as the criminal courts. As I hit parkgate street I had 9 MP miles done and the real work started on the trek out to Chapelizod. This was hard going and the legs were tiring but I knew if I made it as far as the bridge in Chapelizod I was almost done. I held on and finished the session up on the Liffey towpath tacking on another 2 or so easy miles to cool down and make it 20 for the day. Splits were:
    8.11, 7.54,7.41, 7.47, 7.46, 7.50, 6.43, 6.40, 6.39, 6.40, 6.46, 6.38, 6.31, 6.35, 6.32, 6.37, 6.49, 6.33, 7.56, 7.50.

In all honesty I felt brilliant on this run but the splits are definitely glossed up to look alot healthier by by the tailwind in places. Trying for a specific pace on the watch was out the window so I just had to figure out what felt right, a bit haphazard but there wasn't much I could do. Very happy overall though.

Sunday 4.2 miles 9.58 pace
    A very handy recovery to shake out the legs with the better half and see out the week. Legs felt surprisingly ok but they didn't have much zip in them so the easy pace was perfect.

71 miles for the week and it was a tough but rewarding week with two solid session under my belt.

The key sessions next week are 12 miles with 7@10mile/HMP and a 21 mile LSR hopefully hitting a similar weekly total. The fun never ends :D

Also just in case anyone hasn't noticed the fundraising related to the Bohermeen half take a gander in this thread and please donate if its possible as its for a genuinely brilliant cause.

Off the back of last weeks 70 miles I decided to take Monday off hoping that with only 4 miles on Sunday that Id be well recovered to tackle the week.

Tuesday 15.7m 7.46 pace
    I headed from Kilmainham on an out and back up through Stoneybatter, Castleknock, Blackhorse avenue, Blanch village to the shopping centre and back. A nice evening for running and I was moving well with things getting a bit steadier as I went on. I could feel some tightnesss/soreness in my glutes but I think this was just a bit of a hangover from Saturdays long MP session. This was definitely the most comfortable of these midweek 2 hour runs but I was well rested going into it.

Wednesday 9.3 miles & 10x20 sec strides
    Felt a bit more sluggish on this one but as they tend to do the strides woke the legs up in the miles towards the end of the run. I haven't been paying any attention to how fast or slow I do these, just speed up steadily hold and then ease back down. I think they have been a big help since I started doing them religiously before Christmas and serve as good recovery tool for me as much as anything.

11.75m with 7m tempo
    The dreaded one :eek:. In my very limited experience I think the P&D 7 miles at 10m/ HMP is one of the toughest sessions out there so naturally I wasn't relishing this. A long day working until 1.30 am the previous night didn't help and I went into this feeling tired and in a poor frame of mind, this was just one to gut out.
    I did a three mile warmup before hitting my usual route starting out at Islandbridge and heading for Chapelizod. The headwind was present as always and turning back into it past the Hilton along St John's road in the middle miles was sapping. Once I made it back to Chapelizod I had 5 miles done and the worst was over. The closing 2 back into town were wind assisted and I was very tired in these miles but just kept it moving.
    I found this tough, the toughest session of this plan to date but that's no shock, very glad to get it into the legs. Splits were all over the place with the slowest being the toughest miles!:

10 days out from Bohermeen this session fell nicely and I think shooting for 1.23 is about right based off the last couple of months. I'm under no illusions about how tough it's gonna be though!

Ive a handy 7 or 8 miles tonight before a 21m LSR on Saturday and something really easy on Sunday again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Off the back of last weeks 70 miles I decided to take Monday off hoping that with only 4 miles on Sunday that Id be well recovered to tackle the week.

Tuesday 15.7m 7.46 pace
    I headed from Kilmainham on an out and back up through Stoneybatter, Castleknock, Blackhorse avenue, Blanch village to the shopping centre and back. A nice evening for running and I was moving well with things getting a bit steadier as I went on. I could feel some tightnesss/soreness in my glutes but I think this was just a bit of a hangover from Saturdays long MP session. This was definitely the most comfortable of these midweek 2 hour runs but I was well rested going into it.

Wednesday 9.3 miles & 10x20 sec strides
    Felt a bit more sluggish on this one but as they tend to do the strides woke the legs up in the miles towards the end of the run. I haven't been paying any attention to how fast or slow I do these, just speed up steadily hold and then ease back down. I think they have been a big help since I started doing them religiously before Christmas and serve as good recovery tool for me as much as anything.

11.75m with 7m tempo
    The dreaded one :eek:. In my very limited experience I think the P&D 7 miles at 10m/ HMP is one of the toughest sessions out there so naturally I wasn't relishing this. A long day working until 1.30 am the previous night didn't help and I went into this feeling tired and in a poor frame of mind, this was just one to gut out.
    I did a three mile warmup before hitting my usual route starting out at Islandbridge and heading for Chapelizod. The headwind was present as always and turning back into it past the Hilton along St John's road in the middle miles was sapping. Once I made it back to Chapelizod I had 5 miles done and the worst was over. The closing 2 back into town were wind assisted and I was very tired in these miles but just kept it moving.
    I found this tough, the toughest session of this plan to date but that's no shock, very glad to get it into the legs. Splits were all over the place with the slowest being the toughest miles!:

10 days out from Bohermeen this session fell nicely and I think shooting for 1.23 is about right based off the last couple of months. I'm under no illusions about how tough it's gonna be though!

Ive a handy 7 or 8 miles tonight before a 21m LSR on Saturday and something really easy on Sunday again.

You're in savage form at the moment.

Looking enviously at some of the sessions you're knocking out.

TbL

You're in savage form at the moment.

Looking enviously at some of the sessions you're knocking out.

TbL

Cheers TBL, you're racking up great mileage and going very well yourself. Hopefully catch up with you in Bohermeen, how are you feeling about the "Rumble in the Bog"?

Friday 8.2m 8.27 pace
    An easy one after the previous nights session. I managed to get into the park whilst it was just about bright so I ran on the trails and grass for most of this. The legs were tired so the soft surface was a help.

Saturday 21m 8.31 pace
    I met with a couple of friends down in Dunleer for this one, they're training for London and Paris themselves. The pace was very easy, about 8.40s for most of it so it was a real time on the feet effort for myself. I pushed on at 18 miles and did a few steadier miles but all told I was on my feet for over 3 hours which was brilliant to get in.

Sunday 6.3m 8.31 pace pace
    More company on this one to just shake the legs out after the long run. It started to snow pretty heavily a couple of mile in and I felt pity for the masses of other runners in the park doing their long runs. Home and hosed in well under an hour.

That was 72 miles for the week, things will take a step back a bit next week with Bohermeen on the horizon but I'll still get a MLR and session of 600s in as per the plan, other than that it will be easy running.

Half marathon this week but I've tried to keep things moving along as its not a goal race, just a see where the training is at race.

Tuesday 5x600 1.30 jogged recovery
    The second speed session of this block and it was a bit shorter with the race at the weekend. As usual I did these on the Chapelizod road, 3 mile warmup with reps 1,3,and 5 into the traditional headwind and 2 and 4 nicely wind assisted.
    The plan was to progress steadily between reps 1,3 and 5 and the same between 2 and 4.
    Splits:
    2.16 (5.58 pace)
    2.10 (5.41 pace)
    2.13 (5.49 pace)
    2.06 (5.32 pace)
    2.09 (5.38 pace)
    8 miles in total for the session and it was alright, I only really felt the burn on the last one where I pushed on the effort.

Wednesday 12m 7.51 pace
    I took in a new route on this going from home along Cork Street and down into the Coombe before heading for Terenure and back home through Kimmage. I enjoyed this but the legs and stride felt a bit wobbly and awkward after the faster stuff from the previous night.

Thursday 8.2m 8.07 pace
    Easy run in the phoenix park after work, felt very tired on this. I think the high mileage over the last number of weeks is starting to bed in now as Im feeling very lethargic since the weekend really.

So Bohermeen on Sunday, I'll just run short and easy today and tomorrow morning with a few strides in there somewhere to hopefully perk myself up ahead of the race. I've no idea how its going to go, what I can guarantee is that its gonna hurt! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Thought you predicted your time after Trim 10 mile!!!

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    Thought you predicted your time after Trim 10 mile!!!

Ha, yeah for got about that! 63 mins Tang (+10;) at least )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

been following you with envy on strava recently, you are in smashing form at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I know what you mean re: feeling lethargic.
    I've felt exactly the same the last couple of days. So much so that I'm taking the night off running to study some Cheltenham form and hit the hay early :P.

Good luck on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Best of luck Sunday. Hope it won't be as windy as it is right now. Any Gold, Silver, Bronze times in mind?

Best of luck tomorrow OP, hope all goes to plan for you.

outforarun wrote: »
    Best of luck Sunday. Hope it won't be as windy as it is right now. Any Gold, Silver, Bronze times in mind?

Cheers man, I saw you making your way back up to the N4 from islandbridge about an hour or so ago, felt pity for you with that wind alright, was that the end of the 20 miler?

I better nail my colours to the mast
    Gold is sub 1.23.30
    Silver is sub 1.24
    Bronze is a pb sub 1.24.56

I'd be over the moon with silver and bronze would be sweet too seeing as the volume is high for me at the minute.

statss wrote: »
    been following you with envy on strava recently, you are in smashing form at the moment.

Thanks Sean, it's only one injury from coming crashing down though, London seems a long way away still. Might see you at the K club 10k?

See you down there tomorrow OP, your form would suggest a very good run. Best of luck

TbL

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow, if the wind doesn't die down, I hope it's at your back the whole way around. (unlikely though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Have a good one tomorrow. Hope you come through it without any problems given that London is the goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1. All the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Best of luck. You are flying at the minute. Catch up with you there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Netwerk_Errer

All the best OP! You're a man on fire at the minute!

1.23.07 Chip time so an unexpected gold. I'm very happy with that as it's a good PB on a tough day. Had a sniff of sub 83 a few miles out but the last mile ended me, I'm not bothered, all eyes on London now.

Fantastic stuff OP, great confidence booster heading into London.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

To run any sort of pb today in those conditions is a fantastic performance.
    Well done.

p.s. Only the last mile ended you? What about the two before that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Great result, well done, looking good for London!

yaboya1 wrote: »
    To run any sort of pb today in those conditions is a fantastic performance.
    Well done.

p.s. Only the last mile ended you? What about the two before that? :pac:

Cheers Peter, I probably phrased that wrong, I was fecked in the last couple of miles, the last mile I wanted to drop out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Superb running again today - you really are on fire at the minute. All bodes well for the main event.

• Advertisement

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Superb running again today - you really are on fire at the minute. All bodes well for the main event.

Gotta agree with TJ, it all knitting nicely together for you, all the graft paying off

TbL

Advertisement