Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Thanks lads, I always appreciate input here and really value the opinions of others on my own running.

I'm always a bit cautious and probably guilty of over analysing what goes wrong rather than taking confidence from what goes well. A 1.23.07 half spits out a 2.54 or something on the calculators, that was more or less my PB HM pace just 6 months ago so I think that's where my caution stems from ;) I know that it's still very much borderline but I absolutely wouldn't be going for it if I didn't think I could do it. Another thing is the almost obligatory Boards Glorious first sub 3 attempt fail, Ive read most of them and they all sound painful:)
    On the speed thing it was more of an observation about where I feel like I need to improve rather than something which would put me off a sub 3 attempt. What McMillan gives me for 10k and 5k (37.17 and 17.57) is eye meltingly fast for me at the moment, I reckon I wouldn't get inside a minute of either right now but I know I haven't trained specifically for them, hoping to address that though.

Maybe I need to channel more of the Conor Mcgregor attitude:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Thanks lads, I always appreciate input here and really value the opinions of others on my own running.

I'm always a bit cautious and probably guilty of over analysing what goes wrong rather than taking confidence from what goes well. A 1.23.07 half spits out a 2.54 or something on the calculators, that was more or less my PB HM pace just 6 months ago so I think that's where my caution stems from ;) I know that it's still very much borderline but I absolutely wouldn't be going for it if I didn't think I could do it. Another thing is the almost obligatory Boards Glorious first sub 3 attempt fail, Ive read most of them and they all sound painful:)
    On the speed thing it was more of an observation about where I feel like I need to improve rather than something which would put me off a sub 3 attempt. What McMillan gives me for 10k and 5k (37.17 and 17.57) is eye meltingly fast for me at the moment, I reckon I wouldn't get inside a minute of either right now but I know I haven't trained specifically for them, hoping to address that though.

The Tergat 5-4-3-2-1 session is a great indicator and you fairly nailed that. Best of luck OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Jesus, I have seen some sandbagging around these logs before but the bolded definitely takes the biscuit :pac:

Let's assume you are correct and that your HM time (set in tough conditions I may add, at least that's what TRR and me are telling ourselves ;)) is out of whack with your 5-10k times. Well this would indicate a tendency towards improving as the distance increases.
    So given that, why do you feel you will fall apart (mcmillan-wise) in moving up to Marathon?

As you know yourself London is much easier than Bohermeen, so that 6 minute McMillan buffer is loads.

I am not saying anything is in the bag but you should at least be approaching London very confidently.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Jesus, I have seen some sandbagging around these logs before but the bolded definitely takes the biscuit :pac:

Let's assume you are correct and that your HM time (set in tough conditions I may add, at least that's what TRR and me are telling ourselves ;)) is out of whack with your 5-10k times. Well this would indicate a tendency towards improving as the distance increases.
    So given that, why do you feel you will fall apart (mcmillan-wise) in moving up to Marathon?

As you know yourself London is much easier than Bohermeen, so that 6 minute McMillan buffer is loads.

I am not saying anything is in the bag but you should at least be approaching London very confidently.

Fair enough, I take your point re: the Half ;).
    What I said about the shorter stuff does sound a bit like sandbagging when I read it back but its not intended that way at all, its more just general shooting the breeze about things I can improve on after London. It certainly wouldn't make me any less confident that I can get what I'm looking for in London.

A bit of catching up to do. Last Monday was a rest day as I was shattered from the MP session the previous day, a few pints before and after the Ireland Poland game didn't help recovery. I woke up on Tuesday morning with a 6-4 double planned for the day but ended up binning it, I had a bit of a manflu scare and I took the more sensible option of resting up, the last thing I wanted to do is get sick now and miss 4 or 5 days. Paranoia setting in!

Wednesday 11m with 5x1k
    Feeling a bit better Wednesday I headed out for this one just looking to get the reps in and not worry too much about pace. I did 5 miles easy and as usual did the session around the acres lap. Another miserable windy evening up there but were all used to this weather at the minute.
    3.35 (5.53)
    3.35 (5.53)
    3.42 (6.05)
    3.34 (5.52)
    3.30 (5.44)
    Glad to get it done and it was fairly controlled apart from rep 3 which was completely into the wind where I was working hard. Happy with paces overall.

Thursday 15.6m 7.31 pace
    I expected a bit of a slogfest after the previous nights session and that's exactly how it was going until about 5 miles as if by magic the legs loosened up and I finished it out moving along nicely. That's the last midweek 15 miler and I wont miss them but they have brought me on alot I feel.

Friday

AM 8.3M 8.10 pace

PM 4.3M 8.28

Two runs on Good Friday just keeping things easy

Saturday 22.4m 8.02 pace
    The proper LSR so the goal here was to get in 3 hours on the feet whatever the distance. I kept the pace nice and easy, just above 8 min pace as much as I could and cruised around, was expecting it to be a bit tougher but once I didn't let it become a slog mentally it was grand.

Sunday 8.4 miles 8.13 pace
    I hit the park around dusk last night for a lovely run, the legs were very tired after over 60 miles in 4 days so I just let them bring me along at whatever pace they wanted.

So after a missed run earlier in the week I was glad to hit 70 miles to close out this block, taper time now and the goal is to recover and just as importantly keep sharp.
    I've entered the K club 10k as per P&D but wont race it flat out I have to say I'm really looking forward to it though and hopefully Ill see some from these parts down there.

• Advertisement

Im starting the first week of taper but its still a meaty enough week with a session of 600s and a 10k tuneup race followed by a 17m LSR

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: 8m with 5X600 off 90 secs jogged recovery
    At long last we get some sun and coupled with shorter reps than the 1ks last week this didn't seem so bad on paper. I did 4 miles easy to start off heading up the north road and down to the acres road as per usual for the reps, it wasn't even windy, what a day :)

2.13 (5.52 pace)
    2.12 (5.48 pace)
    2.09 (5.40 pace)
    2.08 (5.38 pace)
    2.08 (5.38 pace)

A grand session in good conditions and happy that the reps got progressively a wee bit faster, mostly controlled but I did go to the well on the last one.

Wednesday: 12.34M 7.46 pace
    Im glad this wasn't a 15 miler as I was feeling very sluggish for this, another lovely evening and I was sweating buckets. I did most of the second half on grass on the trails in the phoenix park to save the legs a bit, finished this one feeling tired. Last midweek double digit run of P&D :)

So two days easy running with some strides ahead of the K club 10k on Saturday morning. Ill play it by ear in terms of targets but wont be racing it flat out, just looking to get the legs moving a good bit faster than marathon pace for 6 miles. I'm feeling pretty tired right now but hopefully I'll freshen up by Saturday, then in a weeks time I should be starting to come around properly.
    The hay is nearly in the barn at this stage, I just need to keep it ticking over for a wee while more and resist the urge to relax.

37.34 official time today at the K Club 10k. I ran this harder than originally planned but felt very strong throughout so a great last blowout before London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

37.34 official time today at the K Club 10k. I ran this harder than originally planned but felt very strong throughout so a great last blowout before London.

That's a cracking result OP! Got to give you loads of confidence heading into London. Some improvement over the last few months, fair play!:)

That's a cracking result OP! Got to give you loads of confidence heading into London. Some improvement over the last few months, fair play!:)

Cheers man, it definitely does and I wouldn't be the most confident of sorts when it comes to my running so to go sub 38 and feel good doing it is great!
    Lots of long easy miles seems to work wonders, that Lydiard (and Meno) lad was onto something!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great run, best of luck in London!

• Advertisement

adrian522 wrote: »
    Great run, best of luck in London!

Cheers Adrian well done to you too, the timing mat robbed 7 secs on me as wellcompared to the watch!

Cheers Adrian well done to you too, the timing mat robbed 7 secs on me as wellcompared to the watch!

Where did yee get the results lads? can't connect to the BHAA website...

OP I suspect we weren't 7 seconds crossing the line. What did the clock say as you went under it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They were posted up in the room afterwards.

menoscemo wrote: »
    Where did yee get the results lads? can't connect to the BHAA website...

OP I suspect we weren't 7 seconds crossing the line. What did the clock say as you went under it?

Results were up in the reception room after. I can't remember what the time said as I crossed but I definitely started my watch a few secs after the gun as I forgot that there's no mat at the start, I'd say that accounts for most of it.

Ah Balls, I didn't look.
    Same as you OP I started at the imaginary startline but my watch and clock as I crossed it were 2-3 seconds out (max 3). You started beside me and were no way 7 seconds slower than your watch time...anyhow, small complaints and really makes no odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Cracking time OP fair play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Well done OP great time

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Great result! ..and good to meet you again. Good luck now for the wind down to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭paddybarry

Great time OP, very well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Cracking run OP, well deserved. Sets you up nicely for London.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Wow that's a fantastic time! Sorry I didn't get to meet you. I saw you talking to Meno but it was only after that I realised who you were :D

Wow that's a fantastic time! Sorry I didn't get to meet you. I saw you talking to Meno but it was only after that I realised who you were :D

Ah jaysus that was you! I thought it was yourself for a sec but then thought you were doing a race somewhere else so let it go, my bad. Next time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Fab run, dead envious!

Super confidence booster in advance of London.

You should easily hit your target if you don't lose the head!

Well done

TbL

Fab run, dead envious!

Super confidence booster in advance of London.

You should easily hit your target if you don't lose the head!

Well done

TbL

Cheers TBL, not sure if you noticed but I've a fairly fat specimen of a head so carting it about London may be tough enough!! Hope that niggle is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Well done OP, you're motoring these days and in great shape for the big one

Duanington wrote: »
    Well done OP, you're motoring these days and in great shape for the big one

Cheers D, it's not easy trying to keep up with you!

Thursday 6.4M 7.54 pace
    A nice easy run in a sunny phoneix park. I was feeling a good bit better than the previous nights 12 miler, I threw in 6 20s strides which woke me up a bit more.

Friday 4.3M 8.42 pace
    40 minute recovery shuffle along the Liffey towpath to Chapelizod

Saturday K Club 10k
    Heading down Saturday I was really looking forward to a race and a last blowout before London. I met Ivory Tower and Meno at the start and did a short warmup along the course, picking out a couple of landmarks. There was a very stiff breeze in our faces heading out the first mile but that was ok as I knew we would have it assisting us on the way back in, fair enough. Had a quick chat with RedRunner before lining up, the place seemed to be chock full us internet warrior types!
    I had a loose plan to take it fairly easy but once we set off I knew I was gonna give it a rattle as I felt good from the off. Heading out of the K club on the first mile I was in a good bunch and didn't notice the wind at all. Into mile 2 and the first lap of the 3k loop the breeze became very apparent, I bled a bit of time here but wasn't fussed as I knew we would get it back, I was just focusing on effort. Into mile 3 and the discomfort of the headwind passed as it was now at our backs and pushing us on. I was moving well and felt very smooth, still in a group, falling in with one runner in particular whom I would race right to the line. Another spell into the headwind as we set off on our second lap but I just concentrated on making it to the turn again without overcooking it. Mile 5, we're heading for home and I knew I had a good shot at sub 38 at this stage so was really determined to finish it out. I upped the effort and started passing a few as we hit the final mile, working hard but feeling good. As we passed the final roundabout I hit a full sprint dropping my companion going up the last small drag, we were full on into the wind here again and it hurt but it was only a short stretch and we were done.

Splits:
    (5.34)

Official time was 37.34 so a massive PB and one I'm delighted with. I got in a cool down jog with Meno, meeting AMK for the first time before a downing at least 5 cakes inside. What a spread. This is a great race with a good standard in the field which really helped drag me around, all in all a very worthwhile trip.

Sunday 17.1M 8.15 pace
    Into the park this morning with outforarun on a seriously miserable day. It really did have it all today, rain, hail sleet and biting wind. I was freezing cold and sapping wet for most of this so it was far from pleasant. Having company and chatting away definitely made this so much easier, we were disciplined on the pace too overall which was a big help for me. Conditions aside I felt far better than expected and didn't really feel the race in my legs too much which was great, little hints here and there but nothing much. I left OFAR at 16 miles as he bravely headed on into the gale to finish out his 20. I had half thought about doing the full 20 with him as we went around but my sensible head prevailed, I reckon OFAR would have sent me home anyway had I tried it!

So first taper week in the bag and 57 miles done, it drops to around 40 next week, which is nice :) Nearly there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super running on Sat and very nice to meet you. I'll be keeping an eye on Strava!

I'm just tipping along in the second last week of P&D and i'm starting to freshen up now I think

Monday
    Rest day after the weekends exertions

Tuesday 8.6M 7.46 pace
    I hit the trails in the phoenix park for this one and the legs felt niggle free after the weekend, still a bit heavy but overall pretty good. I threw in 6 or 7 x20 sec strides as I went to flush them out.

Wednesday 4.1M 8.28 pace
    A nice little recovery jog around chapelizod and the tow path. Legs feeling good.

Thursday 7M with 3x1m off 3 min jog
    The last session of P&D and in all honesty I was in two minds about doing this at all but seeing as I wasn't feeling tired or sore to any degree I decided to finish out the plan as perscribed. It was quite late last night when I got out for this so I didnt head for the acres lap in the park, I ran these along the chapelizod road instead. Splits:

The prescribed pace for these was 5k pace but I decided to do the first one at 10k pace and work down depending on how I felt. 10k pace from the weekend was 6.03 so the first one being wind assisted was right on and I felt good. The second one was a bit tougher into the wind but controlled and I decided to open the taps a bit on the last one with the wind at my back, feeling the strain on the last quarter mile but nothing too major.

So that's it now in terms of sessions ahead of the big day. 10 days to come of jogging and strides here and there. I may run a whole 2 miles at MP on Tuesday or Wednesday but nothing more, other than that I'm just gonna play things by ear and will run off plan from here on out. The body feels good and I'm starting to freshen up so the plan from here is to get to the line next Sunday rested and raring to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

You've put together a fantastic block.

Best of luck with it, unless you end up giving Meno a piggyback you'll smash it :)

TbL

Advertisement