Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Excellent. Delighted for you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

1.28.04 Chip time, I had a really solid run today so I'm delighted. It was also deadly to see so many of the lads from here cruise in under 1.29 and the better half was comfortably under 2hrs so a great day all round.

Get the long run out of the way before next Saturdays beer marathon ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Superb stuff - way to nail a sub 1:30 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

On the first page of my log I had said that my goals for this year were to break 40 for the 10k and 90 for the half, so having taken care of the former twice now in the last couple of weeks I was really determined to sort out the half marathon time at the weekend.
    I had already had a stab at sub 1.30 early on in the year in Bohermeen but I never really felt right at the pace in that race and finished up in 1.31.04 with heavy legs being the order of the day. This time out I was hoping that the bit of "faster" running that I've been doing lately would help with handling the pace but was concerned with my endurance so the plan was to set out easy enough behind the 1.30 pacers but be on their tails by the time we hit the Aras roundabout for the second time and work it out from there.

I met up with outforarun before the start and was glad to have someone around me who is running similar times so I didn't panic if the pacers went off too hot for my liking at the start. The start was crowded and slippery, especially going down the khyber, I didn't care what the pace was until we got out past the zoo, I was just making sure I didn't trip anyone or get tripped myself. Once we hit the North road I could see the pacers about 100 metres up the road and they seemed to be inching away from me gradually but checking the watch the pace was exactly where it needed to be so I sat tight and ticked the miles off. Outforarun was close by all along here and looked to be absolutely cruising whenever I saw him. I do remember thinking to myself that I felt great as we came through the first water station so was feeling optimistic. The pacers were exactly 20 seconds ahead of me as I reached the castle knock gate and turned down Chesterfield for the first time, so right on target.
    Miles 1-5 6.41, 6.58, 6.45, 6.52, 6.41
    As we approached Farmleigh I began to feel really comfortable and was even holding myself back slightly as it was still early days, I was also inching back towards the pacers but was in no hurry. I had gone for home at this stage of the Frank Duffy and paid for it with pain so was conscious of that! Entering the park again I grabbed lucozade and by the time we reached the Furze road turnoff I was just off the back of the sub 90 group. The downhill here helped move me along and as we moved onto the paths on the bottom half of Chesterfield I was in the middle of the group, I remember looking down at the watch at one point to see 6.35 pace and being shocked at how manageable it felt. Cant beat running downhill in groups! I said a very quick hello to Dublin Runner here and he honestly looked like he was barely stretching his legs beyond recovery pace, seriously impressive.
    Miles 6-10 6.43, 6.34, 6.44, 6.37 6.40
    As we left the park and onto the main road I decided to hit for home and got away from the pacing group. I could feel the effort levels start to build, moreso in the legs than the lungs so I just kept the focus on picking off the runners in front. As we re-entered the park I got up the hill fairly smoothly and managed to hold sub 90 pace to the top which I was delighted with. There was a guy at the top bellowing encouragement (I think I recognised him from the Marlay Parkrun organisation committee) and one phrase along the lines of "keep pushing and don't be feeling sorry for yourself" was brilliant motivation, thanks to him for that one.
    Inside the last mile now and I had a small sniff that maybe sub 1.28 was on so I just went all out and had Statss hot on my heels as we rounded the corner onto the Furze road which gave me another kick. My legs were going though half way up the furze road as I could feel cramp kicking in and I couldn't speed up any more so I was glad to cross the line in 1.28.05 by the watch
    Miles 11-13 6.34, 6.48, 6.27 (5.34)

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/594623688

Delighted with the time as its also a big PB, 3 minutes over Bohermeen and judging by how I felt I hope that there is a little bit more to come off that over the next 6-12 months. I cant believe how strong I felt, probably the best I have ever felt in race and was thrilled that that last uphill section which very nearly ended me in the Frank Duffy was my fastest mile of the race.
    Well done to outforarun Statss and Wowzer who all were sub 1.29 also, we were all within seconds of each other so strong runs all-round from everyone.

I've no races planned for the rest of the year yet but I think the jingle bells 5k will be one for the diary and probably another 10k aswell. The Waterford half is maybe a bit lower on the agenda now after that result. Ill figure out what I'm at over the next couple of weeks but the next serious long term goal is a Spring Marathon next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭wowzer

Super running OP.

We should all have a crack at Bohermeen next year and get Statss to set up a prediction table again like he did for Fingal.

• Advertisement

wowzer wrote: »
    Super running OP.

We should all have a crack at Bohermeen next year and get Statss to set up a prediction table again like he did for Fingal.

Ha yeah exactly Wowzer, would be good to get a good group down and get the the slagging started early in the build up! Bohermeen is a definite for me anyway, Ive done it twice now and as you know yourself its a great race.

Ha yeah exactly Wowzer, would be good to get a good group down and get the the slagging started early in the build up! Bohermeen is a definite for me anyway, Ive done it twice now and as you know yourself its a great race.

Ah F*ck off the lot of ye smug sub 1:30'ers :D:D:D

Obviously delighted for ye all :D but will be hoping to join the cool kids with the sub 1:30's after Bohermeen!!

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Ah F*ck off the lot of ye smug sub 1:30'ers :D:D:D

Obviously delighted for ye all :D but will be hoping to join the cool kids with the sub 1:30's after Bohermeen!!

No bother to you, sure you're the fastest out of all of us over the shorter stuff ;) Beware though, that would put you near the top of the predictions table and it seems kinda jinxed :pac::pac:

Cool it's a date so. Looking forward to it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

I can safely say I will not be instigating any league tables after fingalgate :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Well done OP. Fantastic running out of all of ye :D

statss wrote: »
    I can safely say I will not be instigating any league tables after fingalgate :D

Fingalgate - love it :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭davemcmahon

I'm tempted to do bohermeen now. If we are going to have a table again we should have it for a couple of races of different distance.

I'm tempted to do bohermeen now. If we are going to have a table again we should have it for a couple of races of different distance.

You are the current holder of the title Dave, the reigning champ has to show up.

5k, 5mile, 10k and then HM in Bohermeen?? - I'd do it only I'm too technically inept to do tables (unless I rob them off other people's logs:o)!!

5k, 5mile, 10k and then HM in Bohermeen?? - I'd do it only I'm too technically inept to do tables (unless I rob them off other people's logs:o)!!

5k 1st Jan in phoenix park
    5 mile raheny end of January
    10k????
    HM Bohermeen first Sunday in march.

Theres my focus for the next few months, unless I get into London.

Jingle bells 5k to start??? Bohermeen HM, K-club 10k maybe?? And then a 5 mile at some stage. You could always rob the table from statss log.

Jingle bells 5k to start??? Bohermeen HM, K-club 10k maybe?? And then a 5 mile at some stage. You could always rob the table from statss log.

Jingle bells sounds good - planning to do it! Ditto Bohermeen and K-Club.

Raheny for the 5 mile???

Jingle bells sounds good - planning to do it! Ditto Bohermeen and K-Club.

Raheny for the 5 mile???

Raheny sounds good and either either jingle bells of the Tom Brennan on new years day.

Raheny sounds good and either either jingle bells of the Tom Brennan on new years day.

Usually down the country for New Years Day so Tom Brennan would be out for me :(

• Advertisement

Usually down the country for New Years Day so Tom Brennan would be out for me :(

Well jingle bells is supposed to an easier course so its a good starting point for the smackdown.

I think we should finish with the HM, like a mini race series building up to the big one.

Sorry OP for derailing your log.

wowzer wrote: »
    Well jingle bells is supposed to an easier course so its a good starting point for the smackdown.

I think we should finish with the HM, like a mini race series building up to the big one.

Sorry OP for derailing your log.

No worries, its great to have a bit of traffic in here! I would definitely be on for the jingle bells and Raheny along with Bohermeen anyway. I would have to play the rest by ear with me probably/hopefully being marathon training after Christmas (The wimping out is starting!!;) :pac::pac:)

The K-Club 10k wouldn't suit anyone doing London as I think its either the weekend of or quite near anyway. If there are no Spring marathons on the books I'd suggest finishing up at the K-Club and the feast they provide after the race.

Can't see another 10k in the calendar for January, February or March that would work so might have to finish with the K-Club 10k.

I'm in anyway!! :D

I think it's time to stick my head over the parapet and get the log moving again. Just as a quick update to things since the Dublin half, the week after I got a dose of manflu, bad enough to miss a couple of days work too which is unusual for me. This was no doubt related to the race I think, anyway that week was written off with only 1 easy run.
    The following week I still wasn't feeling great, one easy run early in the week followed by a few days holiday had me feeling considerably better. I managed a progression run that Saturday and felt surprisingly good, the legs were fresh which helped. A hilly 10 miler the following day on empty wasn't so pretty, which gave me 25 miles for the week.
    I continued to ease back the following week with 4 midweek runs easy and 25 miles total. Despite my best intentions of a long run that weekend some family celebrations for a special occasion got in the way/overruled running, but I wasn't too bothered.

So essentially three nothing weeks after the half brings me to the next step. A very kind and knowledgeable boardsie whom I have met a couple of times in the real world over a few beers has given me some great advice and tips about how to take things up to Christmas ahead of a Spring Marathon, probably Rotterdam. The plan for the next 10-12 weeks will be a base building phase with lots of easy running and a weekly tempo to build mileage and hopefully get me into the shape to get realistically tackle marathon training proper in January. I will do the Waterford Half in early December for fun as much as anything but the goal over the next few months will be consistency in mileage. I really enjoyed the summer and did plenty of races with loads of PBs, now its time to try to build again and I'm looking forward to it.

Last week was week 1 of this phase, the key runs were a 20 minute tempo at 6.27 pace, I think this felt just a shade fast and ideally will try to keep it 5 secs/mile slower over the coming weeks, depending on feel. I did a 14 mile LR in the downpour on Friday night which went well considering the Tempo the night before and the windy conditions, I kept a good eye on my HR on this one which was a help. Total for last week was 44 miles so that's my starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I assume you're not running Dublin OP?

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I assume you're not running Dublin OP?

No DCM for me this year, I wanted to have a go at some of the shorter stuff this summer, as it turns out I'm at a wedding in Kilkenny the night before anyway so it works out well! Next year for sure. Have you decided on your approach yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

No DCM for me this year, I wanted to have a go at some of the shorter stuff this summer, as it turns out I'm at a wedding in Kilkenny the night before anyway so it works out well! Next year for sure. Have you decided on your approach yet?

I'm hoping to give it a good lash, but I honestly won't know whether that's realistic until the second half of the race. I'll be definitely aiming at a drinking PB in McGrattans though :p

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I'm hoping to give it a good lash, but I honestly won't know whether that's realistic until the second half of the race. I'll be definitely aiming at a drinking PB in McGrattans though :p

Good stuff, get yourself to Walkinstown in good shape and the way that course is a negative split is on. The first half could end plenty of people if they aren't patient Id say. As for the drinking PB, positive split that bad boy all the way! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Hi OP, are you running the easy tins by time or Hr?

Advertisement