Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insights into living in switzerland

Options
  • 23-01-2014 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

Ok so i thought i would create a seperate thread on this one. For anyone whos living over there atm, hill billy etc. How does it compare to ireland and what are the people like there etc. I like the fact that i could be home quite quickly if i needed to and i believe tax is quite low.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

'How does it compare to Ireland?' covers many, many topics really. Simply put - stuff works here, eg, public transport is great, the health service is top class, you generally get great service in shops, bars & restaurants, etc, etc. However, it can be very bureaucratic. From registering with the local authorities, submitting tax returns, trying to rent an apartment - the amount of paper-work sometimes is a right pain.

Please bear in mind that most of my experiences are from the German-speaking part of Switz - especially Bern. The Swiss-French & Swiss-Italians may behave differently...

The people are great. It can take a little while to get to know them, but once you've been accepted - they are great craic. They like to work hard & play hard. Quality of life is very important to the Swiss.

There is also a certain formality in social situations - shaking hands when you meet, looking other people in the eye when you make a toast & all that. If you don't do it they will think that you are ignorant. They won't tell you, but they'll think it.

As for taxes - that totally depends on where you live. Each canton has its own tax rates. Zug, for example, has very low taxes - possibly 0%. However, property prices are astronomical because everyone wants to live there to benefit from the tax regimen. So, it all balances out really.

Taxis cost a fortune & as for the price of a haircut - don't get me started!

Also, do a forum search for Switzerland as this has been covered in a couple of other threads.

If you can be a bit more specific about what you'd like to know I may be able to provide more detailed answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 newbygirl

Haircuts are nuts!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

'
    Taxis cost a fortune & as for the price of a haircut - don't get me started!

What is the problem with haircuts??? I pay 20 chuffs, can not complain.

Disclosure: I hold a Swiss passport and feel obliged to defend the country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Is it easy to find a Job ? I have English and some French...

Is it easy to find a Job ? I have English and some French...

It depends on your skill set, what areas are you looking in?

• Advertisement

Business degree.. 9 yrs management in sales/ procurement / stock control

Jim2007 wrote: »
    What is the problem with haircuts??? I pay 20 chuffs, can not complain.

Disclosure: I hold a Swiss passport and feel obliged to defend the country :D

It must be just Bern. If I get a 20chf haircut I look like I've been pulled through a bush backwards.

I swear that good Swiss coiffures all drive Benleys fulled on unicorn pee. :p

It must be just Bern. If I get a 20chf haircut I look like I've been pulled through a bush backwards.

I swear that good Swiss coiffures all drive Benleys fulled on unicorn pee. :p

Well my barber is a kosavar and shop is always jammed to the doors. He loads you up on coffee while you wait....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭PremierDeise

Sorry to hijack the thread :)

Just looking for peoples opinions on this. Got offered a job in the Basel area - 4000CHF per month plus tips (approx 1000-1500CHF). (Sounds good enough to me??? )
    Id work that out as around €3200(before tax) + €800-€1200pm??
    How expensive is Switzerland compared to Ireland?
    What are the pros/cons of moving?
    Any personal experiences of a similar move?

Thanks in advance :)

Check out how much your accommodation may be & also the tax rates (they vary in each canton).

Best of luck with the job!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Just looking for peoples opinions on this. Got offered a job in the Basel area - 4000CHF per month plus tips (approx 1000-1500CHF). (Sounds good enough to me??? )

mind me asking what website you used to get the job?

zweton wrote: »
    mind me asking what website you used to get the job?

It was through a friend who is already over there with 2 years. There was alot of info thrown at me that is why Im making sure of everything before I decide :)

ok, does he/she like it over there? Thinking of going myself but not until next year.

ok, does he/she like it over there? Thinking of going myself but not until next year.

Loves it!!
    Sometimes I find it hard to believe its as good as he says hence why I want to check everything well that and the fact that its a big move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

My son, moved to Basel 2 yrs ago, so maybe I can offer some second-hand comments.

The town is nice, borders France and Germany, so you can travel across the border easily for shopping as Swiss prices are high.
    For example he bought a Bike in Germany and brought it back, the Customs at the border refunded the VAT, in cash, as it was being exported from EC

Accommodation prices similar to Dublin.

Tax rates much lower, but as tHB says check locally

Quite authoritarian in outlook to some areas, Police take no messing, so crime on the streets is absent, you will feel very safe moving around the city at night. You need Insurance, and cert on display for a bike.

Public Transport in Switzerland WORKS. It's as if someone actually sat down and designed it, it's seamless, trams outside Train stations, tram lines in all areas of city, which connect, ( unlike Luas ), if no tram, buses, lots of them.

Social life is good, Ice Hockey Stadium in the Town, he also plays Rugby for Basel RFC
    Stay clear of the Irish Pubs, full of pissed paddy's, plenty of alternatives, expect to pay about 6/7 Euro's for a pint.

My visits so far, have been most enjoyable, Traveled by Train to Zurich, and to Luscerne, went up Mt. Pilatus.

And finally, Ryanair commence a route to Basel in April, from Dublin, so expect lots of visitors.

Best of Luck.

martinn123 wrote: »
    My son, moved to Basel 2 yrs ago, so maybe I can offer some second-hand comments.

The town is nice, borders France and Germany, so you can travel across the border easily for shopping as Swiss prices are high.
    For example he bought a Bike in Germany and brought it back, the Customs at the border refunded the VAT, in cash, as it was being exported from EC

Quite authoritarian in outlook to some areas, Police take no messing, so crime on the streets is absent, you will feel very safe moving around the city at night. You need Insurance, and cert on display for a bike.

Public Transport in Switzerland WORKS. It's as if someone actually sat down and designed it, it's seamless, trams outside Train stations, tram lines in all areas of city, which connect, ( unlike Luas ), if no tram, buses, lots of them.

Social life is good, Ice Hockey Stadium in the Town, he also plays Rugby for Basel RFC
    Stay clear of the Irish Pubs, full of pissed paddy's, plenty of alternatives, expect to pay about 6/7 Euro's for a pint.

My visits so far, have been most enjoyable, Traveled by Train to Zurich, and to Luscerne, went up Mt. Pilatus.

And finally, Ryanair commence a route to Basel in April, from Dublin, so expect lots of visitors.

Best of Luck.

Thanks for the feedback Martin123 but you would never guess where the job is :cool: haha

Salarywise does what I have their sound like the norm?
    I also heard about Ryanair but never realised it was not until april so that is good info :)

Thanks for the feedback Martin123 but you would never guess where the job is :cool: haha

Got offered a job in the Basel area.

Eh, No. I give up, where :pac:
    Salarywise does what I have their sound like the norm?
    I also heard about Ryanair but never realised it was not until april so that is good info :)

Best of Luck.

:)

:)

The exception being ''Paddy Reilly's'' good Pub, good food, nice spot ( hope that's the Right one, there's only two ):pac:

The exception being ''Paddy Reilly's'' good Pub, good food, nice spot ( hope that's the Right one, there's only two ):pac:

We have a winner!!!! :D
    Any idea of average wages in general jobs over there? Just trying to compare it to here.

• Advertisement

Best of Luck.

what did you make of zurich?

what did you make of zurich?

Nice City, I am conscious now that this is the '' living Abroad'' forum, so I only visited as a tourist, as I was visiting my son.So my tourist opinions may be off-topic to this Forum.

did it seem like there was plenty to do, i heard its the livliest city in switzerland.

We have a winner!!!!.

LOL!!! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

That is not a true reflection of how things work. Salaries, insurance, accommodation & taxes need to be factored in also. If I think I know what you are trying to say.

did it seem like there was plenty to do, i heard its the livliest city in switzerland.

Well I spent a couple of nights there, and Yes plenty to do.
    bars plentiful, restaurants, busy, especially in the centre of the city.

I went for a stroll one evening, and noticed a building near my hotel, Georgian Style, 4 across, 4 Storey, door in centre, anyway all the windows were lit up with Xmas lights. I thought as it was Sept. Bit early, for Xmas, then I noticed all the windows were decorated by lovely ladies beckoning to me to come in, for , I presume , a cup of tea,

Lively city OK.

Geneva is not the norm by any means. There are a lot of people there on expense allowances and so prices go crazy.

Anybody experience of finding office work in Geneva ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Things could get a lot more difficult to live and work in switzerland now for EU people after the result today.

Advertisement