Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunflower seeds reacting on baking!

Options
  • 23-01-2014 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭

I'm an enthusiastic bread maker and enjoy creating delicious delights to slather in far too much butter! :pac:

However, every time I make seeded soda bread my lovely bread turns out with very bright blueish/green specs. I understand this is some type of chemical reaction specific to sunflower seeds and the way it reacts with bicarb. Is this correct? Does this happen other people and is it just confined to sunflower seeds or are there other seeds where this occurs? Lots of people ask me to bake them bread but I fear the specs may put people off even though they are perfectly harmless. Has anyone got any recommendations for seeds I can use where this won't happen?

Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

It must be the bicarb all right because I use them in yeast bread and they're fine. You don't see sunflower seeds in white soda bread and maybe this is why - you wouldn't notice it in brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Thanks Dizzy - they are actually almost illuminous blue/green so you couldn't miss them and I only bake wholemeal soda bread. Interesting that they don't react with the yeast. I shall take a photo when I get home later to show you what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, sunflower seeds do turn green in soda bread. I understand your concern and people being put off, but they are completely harmless and I love bread with seeds in!

Yay! Glad it happens to other people! I love seeds in bread as well Looksee so not prepared to quit for purely aesthetic reasons! Is it just sunflower seeds? I use mixed seeds in baking and it just seems to be them that are the troublemakers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,574 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, as far as I know, I have never seen it happen with other nuts or seeds.

• Advertisement

Thanks Looksee!

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

I did not realise this was the case with sunflower seeds and Bi carb:).

My fav seeds/nut additions in bread that i try to always have in the press are sun f,poppy,pumpkin,sesame,pine nuts,walnut,almond.
    Rarely i would make a bread without some being in, or on the bread.
    Toasted coconut is lovely in sweet scones.

Advertisement