Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I appreciate the irony of the OP's username lol

But yeah Falcao and Walcott both missing the World Cup is very unfortunate

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Such a pity. Really wanted to see how far Columbia could go with a full strength squad.

Still have some good options up front but most teams would miss Falcao.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Its not the same without Ireland, but well used to that by now.

Tip up Argentina or Germany to win it and think Chile might be dark horse to get to QF or beyond even in tough group.

Cant wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Well my dark horses chances are done now. Poor Falcao :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Edin Dzeko, top goalscorer, 100/1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Some great worlds class strikers playing at the world cup , and a lot of them from the PL too

Looking forward to it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

SantryRed wrote: »

Bosnia destroyed their group too.

They can be my new dark horses :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Boo keep the Qualification thread going would be class to have one big thread from start to finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Bosnia destroyed their group too.

They can be my new dark horses :pac:

Tbf, they are ina group where they can score goals. 2nd Round game more than likely against France or the Swiss too, so they could easily make the quarters. I think 100/1 is a great shout for him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Can see the hosts Brazil winning the tournament. Think Italy might surprise a few people too. A repeat of the USA 94' WC final perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Can see the hosts Brazil winning the tournament. Think Italy might surprise a few people too. A repeat of the USA 94' WC final perhaps?
    Hope not, it was a terrible game, iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

SantryRed wrote: »

"the odds are 100-1 for a good reason Bacon, it won't win" ;)

sawfish wrote: »

Bill passed to make companies exempt from tax in porto alegre

http://news.yahoo.com/lawmakers-pass-key-world-cup-bill-porto-alegre-021434963.html
    SAO PAULO (AP) — Lawmakers have approved a bill that World Cup organizers say is needed to allow the southern Brazilian city of Porto Alegre take part in hosting the tournament.

Tuesday's approval came a day after Mayor Jose Fortunati said the city was in danger of being excluded because of the delay in the vote.

The bill authorizes tax exemptions for companies interested in funding the facilities, which are needed in all 12 host cities to accommodate the media, sponsors and technical teams.

The stadium owner, Brazilian club Internacional, now needs to find the companies to pay for the structures.

FIFA wanted a solution soon because it can take up to three months to put the structures in place. The first match in Porto Alegre is France vs. Honduras on June 15.

They are leaving it late:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Its not the same without Ireland, but well used to that by now.

Tip up Argentina or Germany to win it and think Chile might be dark horse to get to QF or beyond even in tough group.

Cant wait for it.

They looked VERY tidy against Germany recently, bossed the game but didn`t score. Now if you gave them a Suarez or Cavani they`d be lethal dangerous. Remember when they had both Salas & Zamarano :rolleyes:

Prandelli signed a 2 year extention so that helps their chances. They are good to watch aswell.

http://football-italia.net/46877/prandelli-%E2%80%98pleased-and-proud%E2%80%99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Looking forward to see how far my crowd, Belgium' will get!

GTR63 wrote: »
    They looked VERY tidy against Germany recently, bossed the game but didn`t score. Now if you gave them a Suarez or Cavani they`d be lethal dangerous. Remember when they had both Salas & Zamarano :rolleyes:

/QUOTE]

I seen them few times and have to say they impressed me a lot. I got 6/1 before xmas on them getting to QF and took it.

They might lack bit of firepower but still think they have enough quality to do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Im going to the world cup 11 weeks today.I have 4 nights in rio and 10 nights in natal.I have a ticket for usa ghana still working on uruguay Italy tickets. Brazil or Argentina to win it.

Im going to the world cup 11 weeks today.I have 4 nights in rio and 10 nights in natal.I have a ticket for usa ghana still working on uruguay Italy tickets. Brazil or Argentina to win it.

I hate you!!

Seriously will be some trip.

I hate you!!

Seriously will be some trip.

Haha Trip of a lifetime. Have been over there a few times its a great place counting down the days now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

Arena da Baixada (Curitiba, Paraná)

Kyocera_sem_visao.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Messi is having a off colour season for his incredible standards. I think he definitely drags Argentina on to win it beating Brazil in the final and cement his legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Have a funny feeling that the Dutch will perform better than expected, a bad euros showing and Strootman's injury has lowered expectations but Louis Van Gaal will get results out of them, could see them making the semis. It would be kind of typical as well, in modern times the years they're talked about they bomb but the years people overlook them they go on a run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Well my dark horses chances are done now. Poor Falcao :(

Didnt think he was still playing tbh.:pac:

Remember watching this as a very young chap. Best world cup of them all

Liverpools year, hardly Englands year?

Raf32 wrote: »

Liverpool, Chelsea and England for the three big ones. Because it never rains but it pours molten lava.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Liverpool won the league in 66 too.

I doubt it will be Englands year though.

YayaBanana wrote: »

Im definitely tossing money on them, best chance in a long time.

Im definitely tossing money on them, best chance in a long time.
    I think it would be a massive shock if they won it. They cant keep the ball and will be exhausted running around in the heat after the ball in most of the venues. Sao Paulo weather wise will be grand for them. It wouldnt surprise me if they didnt get out of their group.

• Advertisement

I think it would be a massive shock if they won it. They cant keep the ball and will be exhausted running around in the heat after the ball in most of the venues. Sao Paulo weather wise will be grand for them. It wouldnt surprise me if they didnt get out of their group.

Could see them Chelseaing it for some reason. Just park the bus and fluke result after result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

England could have a decent shout if they pick the right players. Henderson, Gerrard, Sturridge and Sterling are all on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

England will be no match for Spain,Brazil or Germany they'd be my top 3 Spain will be back with a point to prove after they ballsing up the Confed Cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Coming home from Portugal 3 days before it starts, sickened! would have loved to be there during it and because of my undying man love for Ronaldo I usually support them during WC/Euros!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I found this quite interesting.

In 2007, La Gazzetta dello Sport’s weekend supplement Sportweek predicted what Italy’s first team would look like at the 2014 World Cup. The below was their prediction:

sport-week.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Paully D wrote: »
    I found this quite interesting.

In 2007, La Gazzetta dello Sport’s weekend supplement Sportweek predicted what Italy’s first team would look like at the 2014 World Cup. The below was their prediction:

How accurate did it turn out to be?

• Advertisement

How accurate did it turn out to be?

Based on their pre-World Cup squad announced last week, not very.

One player guaranteed to be in the squad (Balotelli), one extremely likely (Criscito) and one with a chance (Aquillani).

YayaBanana wrote: »

And 82 & 86................

:--)

Those articles always seem to completely do miss much of the current squad at the time, even if loads of them would be well within the age to be still going to a Wc. Wasn't there an English one done a few years ago predicting players like Gerrard would be no where near the squad and that it would be made up nearly entirely of players that were about 16 at the time.

Those articles always seem to completely do miss much of the current squad at the time, even if loads of them would be well within the age to be still going to a Wc. Wasn't there an English one done a few years ago predicting players like Gerrard would be no where near the squad and that it would be made up nearly entirely of players that were about 16 at the time.

Aye, the Mail did the below in 2007:

mail.jpg

That's the one. So, they got one right, except hes injured and not going.:)

• Advertisement

Still a race against time on the Stadium building

http://www1.skysports.com/FIFA-World-Cup-2014/news/12098/9279146/world-cup-brazil-venues-running-against-time-admits-fifas-jerome-valcke
    FIFA's top World Cup official has turned up the heat on Brazil as stadium work continues with just 50 days to go until the tournament kicks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27187741

Interesting article from Tim Vickery on the role the varying climate will play at the World Cup. Germany seem to have it very bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

bur wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27187741

Interesting article from Tim Vickery on the role the varying climate will play at the World Cup. Germany seem to have it very bad.

Ah jaysus :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I was reading this yesterday, and it is unfortunate, but Germany have such a brilliant squad, that they will able to do a lot of substitutions without necessarily weaking the team also in games where they go two up etc, they will probably just majorly ease off...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Vickery is the BBC South America football correspondent, he is usually pretty good.

However rather than fierce heat, they will be confronted with unbearable humidity. Kick in the balls rather than a dig in the eye I suppose, but still. The 85 to 90% humidity with mid 20s temperatures will be a challenge for that fast running / quick transition style of football. Unless they change to der tiki-taki they might have it tough alright.

Will need the squad for sure. Certainly be in their interests to score first in games, and probably score second too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Will need the squad for sure. Certainly be in their interests to score first in games, and probably score second too.
    when they score first and they usually do, they tend to rip the opposition apart. Particularly if its early on, they gave australia, england and argentina 4 goal thumpings in the last w.c...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Brazil have selected their 23 man squad. No room for Coutinho, Kaka, Lucas Moura, Lucas Leiva or Ronaldinho.

Goalkeepers: Julio Cesar (Toronto FC), Jefferson (Botafogo), Victor (Grêmio)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Maicon (Internazionale), Marcelo (Real Madrid), Maxwell (Paris Saint-Germain), David Luiz (Chelsea), Thiago Silva (Paris Saint-Germain), Dante (Bayern Munich), Henrique (Napoli)

Midfielders: Paulinho (Tottenham), Ramires (Chelsea), Fernandinho (Manchester City), Oscar (Chelsea), Willian (Chelsea), Luiz Gustavo (Wolfsburg), Hernanes (Internazionale), Bernard (Shakhtar Donetsk)

Attackers: Fred (Fluminense), Neymar (Barcelona), Hulk (Zenit St Petersburg), Jo (Atlético Mineiro)

Six of Brazil's 23 players have been named in a World Cup squad before. Last time they had fewer players returning: 1978 (5). #worldcup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

For once a home based Brazilian player, Fred, should havea major say in the team's progress. Not sure he's in the same bracket as some of the other CF's in the tournament but there should be enough going on around him to afford him opportunities. Bernard was great at Atl. Mineiro but not sure how he has got on in Ukraine. Surely regretting that move now given the country is going to shyte. Once Ronaldinho realised he wasn't going he gave up the ghost at mineiro and went back to party mode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Delighted to see football heavyweights Toronto FC are represented in the Brazil squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement