Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

Pity suspensions didn't carry forward tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    What are the repercussions of a red in a friendly? I presume won't impact the world cup...will it impact the remaining friendlies in the series?

No it doesn't carry forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Very reckless frum Sterling there. 2 feet were off the ground at one stage, it just doesnt look that bad to some because he didnt catch him. Deserved reds there IMO. Other players would have rolled around there after challenge like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That_Guy wrote: »
    I enjoyed the way the ref produced those cards. Marvellous.

Whipped them out with a flourish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I think part of the disappointment with Rooney is that he hasn't shone in a tournament for England nor has he really shone in Champs league final.

Great player, no doubt, but I think a lot of English fans felt he could be even better. Ronaldo, Messi, Xavi or Iniesta level of consistency. He's not hit those heights. International goals need to be in big tournaments to light your name up.

In fairness it was Owen before him and will be someone else after, the England hype machine is always looking for a player to become one of the worlds best and they murder them when it doesnt happen.

The Man U song about the white pele probably is a leeeeetle bit OTT also :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Luxembourg have equalised against Italy.

Edit 1-1 FT :p

Nothing wrong with that, just saying typical of him. :p

Wilshire has passion, too many players pussy out of a good fight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Looper007 wrote: »
    You make it sound impressive Hulk, but why do make think he hasn't reached his potential. I like Rooney but he wouldn't be anywhere near a top 20 worlds best and hasn't been for years.

'Years' is nonsense. He hasnt been for about 18 months (and had a great 3 months in the middle of that. From 05-12 he was consistently a top player, top 15 or so in the world. How did he score that many goals (often played out of position) if he wasnt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

was potentially a bad challenge from sterling but he got the ball and not the player, probably a yellow. Valencias reaction got em both sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

mike65 wrote: »
    Valenica silly billy. Sterling got the ball

WTF?

Two reds?
    No he didn't. It was a poor challenge. If Valencias hadn't reacted the way he did though, it would have been a yellow card in a meaningless game like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

On a side note, anyone know if the refs will be using the spray paint can thingy to mark ball placement for free kicks? Saw it in the Brazil match last night and it got me wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Flanagan to score the winner with his windmilling penis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Rushden

Barkley really hates a pass, constantly has to try beat a couple of players first before even looking for a pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Valenica silly billy. Sterling got the ball

WTF?

Two reds?

It wasn't a red card challenge, but got the ball? Come off it, awful tackle.

Wilshire has passion, too many players pussy out of a good fight.

Wilshire is crashing to ground far too often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wilsheres constant falling down does my head in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

nuxxx wrote: »
    Wilsheres constant falling down does my head in

He seems to stay down under any contact, whatever that is about??

Lallana going for the Taliban fighter look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Liamalone wrote: »
    On a side note, anyone know if the refs will be using the spray paint can thingy to mark ball placement for free kicks? Saw it in the Brazil match last night and it got me wondering

They will.

I am pie wrote: »
    I think part of the disappointment with Rooney is that he hasn't shone in a tournament for England nor has he really shone in Champs league final.

Great player, no doubt, but I think a lot of English fans felt he could be even better. Ronaldo, Messi, Xavi or Iniesta level of consistency. He's not hit those heights. International goals need to be in big tournaments to light your name up.

In fairness it was Owen before him and will be someone else after, the England hype machine is always looking for a player to become one of the worlds best and they murder them when it doesnt happen.

The Man U song about the white pele probably is a leeeeetle bit OTT also :)

You worded better then me, no one is saying he's a awful player just disappointing cause we thought he be up with the Messi's and Ronaldo's of this world but he's nowhere near that. His form is so in and out every season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thebigredone

What does my head in about wilshire is he's the first one in for a bit of pushing and shoving, or he'll throw in a rough challenge but he's also the one rolling around on the ground everytime he gets touched!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Twinklerunner posted this in Satellite forum, load of free to view friendlies on premier sport in upcoming days

Thursday 10am - Ivory Coast v El Salvador

Friday 4.55pm - Russia v Morocco

Sunday 4am - Spain v El Salvador

Sunday 10pm - Belgium v Morocco

Premier Sports is on 12633 H 22 5/6

Wilshire is crashing to ground far too often.

Yeah it's annoying but that's what many of Barca midfielder's do too. They have a lot too answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,226 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Wilshere, such an mystery. Acts so tough but he's as fragile as a butterfly's wing.

What does my head in about wilshire is he's the first one in for a bit of pushing and shoving, or he'll throw in a rough challenge but he's also the one rolling around on the ground everytime he gets touched!

some hate for Wilshire on here. Love that he gets on other fan's nerves that's why I think he's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Twinklerunner posted this in Satellite forum, load of free to view friendlies on premier sport in upcoming days

Available on Free To Air?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Isn't that just Setanta Sports 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

They're on setanta Ireland too.

The Ivory Coast El Salvador is on at 2am. 4 hours time.

Setanta also showing Ireland Portugal a week away at 2am

Always think Wilshire would make a good Eastenders character. Maybe Danny Dyer's younger brother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Isn't that just Setanta Sports 1?

They have same programming here alright but I think you can tune it in to other channels on a sky box.

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Available on Free To Air?

Nope - just tried. Free to VIEW on Sky only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Enjoyable friendly for the neutral anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭thebigredone

some hate for Wilshire on here. Love that he gets on other fan's nerves that's why I think he's great.

Ah, I do think he's a fantastic footballer, potential to be top class for a long time. He's still a little rotter though!

On a slightly different note ITV are showing a programme about Gigg's few games as caretaker manager. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Wish Roy Keane was there he'd call them tools out on their English bias. No doubt about it. Was a red card for the boy. Reckless.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Contact sport gets turned into handbags shocker.

ref jizzed his pants at the idea of a double red.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

I've seen Wilshire walk off a pitch like that as if you'll see him next game only for to hear he would be out for a couple of months.

Scholes had it right about Wilshere though, he hasnt improved from since he broke on the scene, Wilshere himself has admitted as much. I don't think he's as good over 90 minutes as some people though, he tends to be complacent and allow players too close to tackle him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Two deserved reds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I think Valencia had a right to kick off. It was a poor challenge and could easily have ended up in him missing the World Cup. Aside from that, it was as enjoyable a pre-World Cup friendly as you are going to see. I'm so done with them now though, I wish the tournament was starting tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Corholio wrote: »
    Scholes had it right about Wilshere though, he hasnt improved from since he broke on the scene, Wilshere himself has admitted as much. I don't think he's as good over 90 minutes as some people though, he tends to be complacent and allow players too close to tackle him.

I don't think he's hard as he thinks himself either. In fact I get all nostalgic seeing today's "hardmen" like Wilshere, Cattermole, Parker and others and long for the days when Keane struck fear across Europe. Wilshere in particular wouldn't be so lippy if Roy was still in opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

What way does the red card work here just miss the next friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭fearrua

Jaysus, Ecuador's second goal was so good. Weird that the ref went for the two reds, with it being a friendly. Had he even booked anyone up to that point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Nope - just tried. Free to VIEW on Sky only.

Yeah. Just done a retune. No sign of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Thank god for Glen Hoddle and Andy Townsend or I'd never have realised I was watching "international football" tonight.

Ox should start instead of Lallana or Rooney if fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Ox goes for a scan tomorrow, fears it could be ligament damage. That would be a huge blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Johner wrote: »
    Ox goes for a scan tomorrow, fears it could be ligament damage. That would be a huge blow.

Looked very much like MCL.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭OnTheCouch

Playing Milner at right-back was a terrible gamble in hindsight. Luckily it was only a friendly match. Had he ever played there before even?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

You worded better then me, no one is saying he's a awful player just disappointing cause we thought he be up with the Messi's and Ronaldo's of this world but he's nowhere near that. His form is so in and out every season.

You could say the exact same about van Persie. You can find things to moan about with excellent players if you try as hard as people do with Rooney. The truth is that every season over the last ten and a bit years he has consistently been one of the best strikers in one of the best leagues in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Very entertaining game I think Roy has some individual talent at his disposal but and it was mentioned the last twenty minutes of their matches will be their undoing especially with fatigue and Sitting back allowing teams to come at them.

I know he's retired from internationals and he is rather unpopular but For me I think they need john terry in defence

• Advertisement
Advertisement