Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Anyone wrote: »
    Massive blow to the underage prostitution industry of Brazil.

They still have Benzema to fall back on.

Ribery and Grenier are out, Cabella and Schneiderlin in.

Some season for Schneiderlin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The loss of Ribery is a big blow to France, but it would have been bigger but for the emergence of Griezmann.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Could work in France's favour one less pre Madonna, he certainly didn't contribute to the squad spirit in 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

just did my 50 euro bet on spain. i have faith in la furia roja :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

I'm thinking Brazil Argentina Germany holland for top four apart from holland I guess this is probably the form guide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

pavb2 wrote: »
    I'm thinking Brazil Argentina Germany holland for top four apart from holland I guess this is probably the form guide

I wouldn't touch Holland with a 10-foot pole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

I wouldn't touch Holland with a 10-foot pole

The worst Holland squad I can remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Twitter saying Reus has injured himself..anyone watching?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Didn't look too good. But it only happened 2 minutes ago, so early too say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Ye went over his ankle just 5 minutes ago. Footage and his reaction is not looking good. He had to come off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Not exactly struggling without him. Great 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Some introduction by podolski! Nice to see klose break mullers record and is now outright top german scorer, now onto ronaldos wc record!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Reus is in hospital now according to Twitter, left the pitch in tears. It doesn't look good.

Reus, Ribery, Montolivo, Oxlaide-Chamberlain, Montes and Shirikov, all injured in pre-World Cup friendlies over the last week. There's probably another few I'm forgetting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Won't shed any tears for Ribery, that's for sure. Horrible little runt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rezident

I am sorry to have to say it but I am glad Ribery is out of the World Cup. I was a big fan of him for years, and he's had some heroic performances in the past for club and country but he has become one of the most appalling divers in football. He must be hanging around with Robben too much. Repeatedly diving and cheating, despite his amazing talent, it is depressing. The World Cup is better off without the likes of that. I am afraid we will have more than enough diving with Neymar and co.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Is Brazil struggling over the line against Serbia (albeit a good team) with their best team out something to worry about or are these friendlies' results irrelevant in the grand scheme of things?

More inclining to pick Spain over them to win at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

callaway92 wrote: »
    Is Brazil struggling over the line against Serbia (albeit a good team) with their best team out something to worry about or are these friendlies' results irrelevant in the grand scheme of things?

More inclining to pick Spain over them to win at this stage.

I'd read literally nothing into them to be honest. This close to the World Cup players aren't going anywhere close to 100%, and the vast majority will just want to cruise through escaping injury.

I'll be on Spain myself.

The pitch was in a terrible state in the Brazil match tonight as well.

Bit strange how scolari has been playing, bar injury, the same starting eleven for the guts of a year now. You would think he would try a few other combinations as is the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

pavb2 wrote: »

Holland won't get out of their group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Bloody hell, the hate for Ribery is strange.
    Oh, rumours of unsavoury actions off the field? Not like he's the only one. He dives/cheats/whines? Not like he's the only one. The World Cup is there to showcase the best players in the world and Ribery is one of them. It should be a shame he's not going to be there not a big serving of schadenfreude for people.

Unless of course, you're all wanting Ronaldo, Neymar, Van Persie, Gerrard, Suarez et al to get injured too. I mean, you don't want to be hypocrites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Anyone have any idea who will Colombia's starting striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Meglamonia wrote: »

Id say Jackson Martinez

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

The guys on the Guardian Football podcast seem to think it will be Jackson Martinez (Porto) but Carlos Bacca (Sevilla) and Adrian Ramos (new Dortmund signing) might eat in to some of his playing time. They are still strong up front and should get out of the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Aenaes wrote: »
    Bloody hell, the hate for Ribery is strange.
    Oh, rumours of unsavoury actions off the field? Not like he's the only one. He dives/cheats/whines? Not like he's the only one. The World Cup is there to showcase the best players in the world and Ribery is one of them. It should be a shame he's not going to be there not a big serving of schadenfreude for people.

Unless of course, you're all wanting Ronaldo, Neymar, Van Persie, Gerrard, Suarez et al to get injured too. I mean, you don't want to be hypocrites.
    Fair point but what if your daughter was a prostitute who Frank Robery slept with? You might not be so rational.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

K4t wrote: »
    Fair point but what if your daughter was a prostitute who Frank Robery slept with? You might not be so rational.

Allegedly, no? Most people complaining don't seem to care about who he slept with. It seems it's only referenced in "jokes".
    The majority of those who dislike him seem to cos of his on-field antics.

Aenaes wrote: »
    Allegedly, no? Most people complaining don't seem to care about who he slept with. It seems it's only referenced in "jokes".
    The majority of those who dislike him seem to cos of his on-field antics.
    It's really because he's ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Big blow for Germany if Reus is out now. That's their last warm up game, anyone know what way they will line up?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Australia vs Croatia on BT Sport now. Unmissable

Stadium is less than half full. A minutes silence for something and the crowd was as noisy as feic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

klose wrote: »
    Bit strange how scolari has been playing, bar injury, the same starting eleven for the guts of a year now. You would think he would try a few other combinations as is the norm.

Actually it's the reason I think Brazil will do quite well. The amount of players they had tried over the 4 or 5 years previous was crazy compared to their successful teams. The quality they do have, while not there in abundance like in the past, has been utilised with a driven work ethic that even some of the usually demanding Brazilian press has come round to the last year or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Keno wrote: »
    I find the Beats ads pretty ridiculous but this is an amazing spoof

This is gold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think it would start and stop here for any dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

callaway92 wrote: »
    The guys on the Guardian Football podcast seem to think it will be Jackson Martinez (Porto) but Carlos Bacca (Sevilla) and Adrian Ramos (new Dortmund signing) might eat in to some of his playing time. They are still strong up front and should get out of the group.

if you're looking for their top scorer Teófilo Gutiérrez is worth a shout, 9/2
    second top scorer in qualifying (6) behind falcao (9), he started 10 times, 11 apps, as well.
    in qualifying the other three seemed to be victims of falcao, only have 11 apps between them + 0 goals

eagle eye wrote: »
    I think it would start and stop here for any dad.
    hqdefault.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Big blow for Germany if Reus is out now. That's their last warm up game, anyone know what way they will line up?

I think Podolski on the left is a more than adequate replacement

Hard to know how they'll line up but here's what I think there strongest team is:

Neuer
    Lahm--Hummels--Mertesacker--Howedes
    ----Schweinsteiger
    Khedira
    Muller
    Ozil
    Podolski
    Klose

Then you have Weidenfeller, Boateng, Durm, Kroos, Gotze, Schurrle and Draxler providing on the bench and all of whom could be rotated in to start if needs be.

:

Neuer
    Lahm--Hummels--Mertesacker--Howedes
    ----Schweinsteiger
    Khedira
    Muller
    Ozil
    Podolski
    Klose

Then you have Weidenfeller, Boateng, Durm, Kroos, Gotze, Schurrle.
    I thought Kroos was supposed to be one of the best midfielders in the world? Khedira could barely string a pass together in the CL final last month. I know Khedira is probably more defensive minded but even still.

I think Podolski on the left is a more than adequate replacement

For Reus?

Reus is a big blow for Germany, Podolski certainly won't fill that position anywhere near as effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Reus would be a big blow. He is for me one of the players with the potential to be big this World Cup. At the moment he's more of a threat by himself than Özil and Goetze together. He is afraid of nothing and no one and thinks he can do anything which is exactly what we need.

Sometimes these kinds of injuries feel really terrible and then it's not so bad after the initial trauma. Here is hoping but from what I saw I'd say its over for him.

Edit: Ye not looking good. Partial tear of the syndesmotic ligaments. Sport1.de says no WC for him.

Massive blow for germany but podolski is a seasoned pro with the national team so he should slot in just fine. I assume volland will replace reus.

Edit: hahahah nope!! Called up mustafi whos a centre back, bizzare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Mustafi replaces Reus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Corholio wrote: »
    For Reus?

Reus is a big blow for Germany, Podolski certainly won't fill that position anywhere near as effectively.

Podolski has 47 goals and 29 assists for Germany so he has proven he can fill that position more than effectively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

What sort of post is this? I'm genuinely baffled by any point you're trying to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Not long now before we a treated to busty Brazilian babes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

klose wrote: »
    Massive blow for germany but podolski is a seasoned pro with the national team so he should slot in just fine. I assume volland will replace reus.

Edit: hahahah nope!! Called up mustafi whos a centre back, bizzare!

Actually not that bizarre. Loew says that has has several players within the current squad who can fill Reus intended role 1:1 (Ozil, Goetze, Podolski etc.). It also seems he has made up his mind to play Lahm in Midfield. So it makes sense to get in another defender as cover. And apparently Mustafi left a very good impression in the Trainingscamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

England vs West Germany from 1990 is about to kick off on the BBC Website/app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Beefy78 wrote: »
    England vs West Germany from 1990 is about to kick off on the BBC Website/app.

Just watching this, Gazza was lucky to be still on the pitch when he got the yellow.

Podolski has 47 goals and 29 assists for Germany so he has proven he can fill that position more than effectively.

He's not as good as Reus though, and doesn't offer the same dynamic at all. Germany haven't won anything despite his good record, so an improvement on Podolski is certainly a loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Just watching this, Gazza was lucky to be still on the pitch when he got the yellow.

Different game back then, to be fair. You practically had to commit GBH to warrant a yellow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Different game back then, to be fair. You practically had to commit GBH to warrant a yellow.

True, some sturdy challenges going in. Only one yellow so far. If that game was on next week, it would be 9 v 8 now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement