Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

How in the name of God is Glen Johnson first choice for England? Surely Jon Flanagan would be a much better option.

Might as well travel down the 826 in downtown Miami and pick up some roadkill and lash it there at RB.

Clyne and Flanagan should be the top 2 choices for RB.
    Looper007 wrote: »
    I have Wilshire ahead of Henderson and I probably pick Ox (if he was fit ahead of Sterling) he has a little more experience. I don't get the love for Henderson, he's just a grafter for me.

You support Arsenal, yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

You support Arsenal, yeah?

Ad you support Liverpool, yeah? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Paully D wrote: »
    This is what happens when you play a game at 5pm in the middle of summer in Miami. :pac:

ITV lads were interviewing the ref just now. Said they will have another look in 20 mins.

Mad that the players are in, but still loads of fans in the upper tier. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Cringe on ITV!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

e64af6667d8b3babd83a1edc065ff1e6.png

That interview with Hodgson was a bit strange :pac: Hoddle showing exactly what he thinks of it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Neeson wrote: »
    Cringe on ITV!
    I think Joey Barton is a reprehensible individual, but he's bang on here;

kr1f8aO.png

blueser wrote: »

kr1f8aO.png

Reminds me of Father Ted v Father Stone. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Goal for Spain, nobody is sure if it's Villa or Vista who touched it into the empty net, seems that the Spanish players think it's Villa. A well worked set piece finally gets the well deserved goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Neeson wrote: »
    Cringe on ITV!

Glenn Hoddle standing around awkwardly like an uncle at a family function

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Can't see this match restarting

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Ad you support Liverpool, yeah? ;)

I've shown plenty of times I can be unbiased.

Calling Henderson merely a grafter after the season he's just had is frankly ridiculous if you've watched Liverpool at all this season.

Sterling was one of the best players around Europe for the last 2-3 months of the season.

Johnson should be binned.

BpjrD7XIEAA2s8B.jpg

If anyone deserves to be struck by "lightening", it's Joey Barton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Slightly fascinating to see the pundits get to give their thoughts to the manager halfway through a game.
    Pity there hadn't been a refereeing incident that they could have quizzed the ref about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Pro. F wrote: »
    Except that it's obvious Terry would come out of retirement if Roy had managed the situation well enough. Go on sticking your fingers in your ears there and just pretending that he couldn't have been called up if asked and managed properly. It's a piss poor argument.
    My argument in the first place is that the top nations have an abundance of talent that didn't make the cut for their countries, but would have made the cut for England.

Whether or not John Terry would've came out of international retirement if Hodgson managed the situation better is a long way from our original discussion :eek:
    I'm not interested in what most people's opinions are on any particular football matter. The fans, journalists and pundits who don't have a clue are in the overwhelming majority. I'm happy to form my opinions without regard to what most people think.
    Yes but if you're not interested in anyone's opinion then how can you have a debate?
    If you repeat the process that we just went through using Shaw, Smalling and Jones instead of Cole and Terry you will still find players that they are better than, going to the tournament with some of the big nations.

As I've said since, your "To be fair, there are plenty of players not in other squads that are better than players in the English squad" could be said about a good few of the big international squads. If you compare the weaknesses of one international squad, to all the other international squads then you will find those match ups. It is a convoluted and ineffective way of assessing the depth of talent available.
    That's fair. I just feel that Spain, Brazil, Italy, Argentina and France have a lot more talent available than England.
    Pass completion stats without context are a rubbish way of judging central midfielders. They end up making people think that Carrick is better than Xabi Alonso.

A pass that puts a centre-back in trouble or slows a building attack is still counted as a completed pass. A pass where the CM drops between the CBs to do their job for them (playing easy passes under no pressure from deep) and achieves fúck all is still counted as a completed pass. A CM who doesn't have the skill to demand the ball when closely marked, turn on it and pass to the free team-mate, so taking his markers out of the game, can still rack up good pass completion numbers.

You think that Britton and Cork are poor enough as to not even be worth comparing to de Jong. That's what I meant by "so poor".

I'm in agreement, stats don't tell the full story, but that doesn't take away from the fact that De Jong is a very consistent passer of the ball? I don't understand how you've developed this opinion of De Jong? He's been consistent throughout his career and is coming off the back of a very good season personally?

I do think that yes because I don't see how anybody could argue that they're better than NDJ? Now some aspects of their game could be better, but NDJ is excellent at the DM job that he does.

We may just agree to disagree on this one :)

Hoddle looks so uncomfortable here :pac:

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I've shown plenty of times I can be unbiased.

Calling Henderson merely a grafter after the season he's just had is frankly ridiculous.

Sterling was one of the best players around Europe for the last 2-3 months of the season.

Johnson should be binned.

Wilshire will unlock defences Henderson won't do that, not knocking the guy. He works hard and gets stuck in.

Sterling was great but Ox, He's got champion league experience Plus agaisn't Ecuador he showed his class, he was awesome agaisn't Bayern and really dragged Arsenal in games when we were struggling with injuries. Sterling will be awesome but this world cup maybe a little too early.

No one good enough to challenage the guy, he gets a easy pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Adrian Chiles comedy stick really get tiresome very quickly.

God, ITV's football coverage is depressingly sh1te. Thank fcuk the terrestrial coverage of the FA cup is back on the Beeb next season. Chiles is out of his depth, and Hoddle just annoys me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Kick off in 10 min. I'd say the players were hoping it would be abandoned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Hoddle picks Lampard to partner Gerrard in the 1st game. England are very lucky hes no longer their manager!

Dixons team is the one that should play (but won't)

It's vintage Spain, Xavi wins the ball back in the opponents half through pressing, he sweeps it to Silva whose lofted pass is inch perfect and Villa's control, swivel and finish are textbook, it's like Euro 2008 all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

^ lol

Adrian Chiles comedy stick really get tiresome very quickly.

Ian Wright found it hilarious for some reason. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

It's vintage Spain, Xavi wins the ball back in the opponents half through pressing, he sweeps it to Silva whose lofted pass is inch perfect and Villa's control, swivel and finish are textbook, it's like Euro 2008 all over again.

How was costa tonight? Did he look like he's now 100% fit?

• Advertisement

Honduras seem a nasty bunch, can see a few of them been sent off at the World Cup.

Cheap shot by Izaguirre there, kicking the ball at Sturridge while the Liverpool player is on the ground.

How was costa tonight? Did he look like he's now 100% fit?

He looked quick and strong and showed no signs of injury. His touch at times was off but but his off the ball running was strong and especially prevalent in the first third of the game. Win the penalty, could have scored in the first half and Villa somewhat goal-robbed him for Spain's opener. Went off with about 20 minutes to go with Xavi coming on. He looks fit and ready.

Honduras seem a nasty bunch, can see a few of them been sent off at the World Cup.

They know the England players aren't out for a scrap so they're taking advantage.

Cheap shot by Izaguirre there, kicking the ball at Sturridge while the Liverpool player is on the ground.

They are certainly getting stuck in, England will be fortunate to come away without injuries.

• Advertisement

keith16 wrote: »
    They are certainly getting stuck in, England will be fortunate to come away without injuries.

I see Honduras causing France and Switzerland a lot of problems. Ecuador match will be a card fest. Fair play to Sturridge not reacting to Izaguirre and Gerrard was lucky not to get a serious injury either.

I see Honduras causing France and Switzerland a lot of problems. Ecuador match will be a card fest. Fair play to Sturridge not reacting to Izaguirre and Gerrard was lucky not to get a serious injury either.

Hard tackle put in on Henderson in the box a few minutes ago there, they're going for it like it's the final:pac:

Blay wrote: »
    Hard tackle put in on Henderson in the box a few minutes ago there, they're going for it like it's the final:pac:

:pac: they are an all or nothing side, but once a goal goes in they will collapse.
    I don't think that France Group will have any silky football but a lot of graft and bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

This is a bold prediction, but I think this might be the first tournament in ages in which England won't stink out the joint.

We may not get out of the group but with the dodgy defence and the movement of the front four the games should be worth watching.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This is a bold prediction, but I think this might be the first tournament in ages in which England won't stink out the joint.

We may not get out of the group but with the dodgy defence and the movement of the front four the games should be worth watching.

I don't know they didn't face anyone of quality in these three friendlies but they haven't impressed me either, still think Welbeck, Johnson and Henderson are weak spots . They have a few great young players though. I always think England play better when they haven't got the stars and world class talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Barkley the scamp!

Welbeck - seriously. Pass it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Welbeck works hard but talent wise he has no business in that team ahead of sterling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Lukaku could be out for the World Cup now too.

ankle injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

England are so much better without Rooney and Gerrard.

• Advertisement

Super-Rush wrote: »
    England are so much better without Rooney and Gerrard.
    You mean Johnson? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

About time Honduras had a guy sent off.

No love for England but it was getting dangerous out there.

EDIT: Its kind of enjoyable, in the way that Boxing is enjoyable. As a Soccer game... not so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

England look terrible. No flow, no ideas, very little speed and movement. In this form they won't survive the group stages, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

England are really lacking a centre forward. Sturridge comes way too far, too often to try and collect the ball. There must have been, and im not one for exaggeration, at least 5000 times England attacks have just broken down 20 yards from goal. Their play is way too slow to allow Lallana to be dynamic like he can.

They have been quite poor in these warm up matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

Sturridge looks to have reverted to his Chelsea/Man City form. Maybe he's been practising his shooting with Danny Welbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

English fans throwing things at Sturridge after that miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

My argument in the first place is that the top nations have an abundance of talent that didn't make the cut for their countries, but would have made the cut for England.

Whether or not John Terry would've came out of international retirement if Hodgson managed the situation better is a long way from our original discussion :eek:

Since the discussion actually started with me saying that Hodgeson manages the England team poorly and doesn't select his best players, it is not a long way from the original discussion at all. Since you wanted to compare players left at home to players going of the various squads, then the recently retired, former captain and one of the best CBs in the country is of course an important part of that discussion. It's not like he retired under straightforward circumstances. There was a lot of controversy around him at the time with the racist abuse court case. But you carry on pretending that there wasn't a good chance that Terry could have been convinced to play on if the manager had tried.
    Yes but if you're not interested in anyone's opinion then how can you have a debate?

I didn't say that I'm not interested in anyone's opinion.
    That's fair. I just feel that Spain, Brazil, Italy, Argentina and France have a lot more talent available than England.

Spain I agree with, for the rest I disagree. For Argentina I find the suggestion laughable.
    I'm in agreement, stats don't tell the full story, but that doesn't take away from the fact that De Jong is a very consistent passer of the ball? I don't understand how you've developed this opinion of De Jong? He's been consistent throughout his career and is coming off the back of a very good season personally?

I do think that yes because I don't see how anybody could argue that they're better than NDJ? Now some aspects of their game could be better, but NDJ is excellent at the DM job that he does.

You're using question marks wrong.

De Jong is a weak passer, he has an unreliable first touch and weak close control. I developed this opinion of de Jong by understanding football and watching him play it. I can argue that Britton and Cork are better than de Jong because they have better defensive positioning, infinitely better touch and control and so more reliable and creative passing. De Jong is average at the DM job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Gerrard moaning about the ref and saying he doesn't like the ball being kicked at his chest.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I think his defensive weaknesses and the mistakes he makes are massively overstated as he doesnt suit the image of a stereotypical British CB. I think luiz would be one of the two first choice CBs at every club in the PL bar Chelsea and Arsenal. Then outside of england I could see him comfortably playing CB at nearly all of the european superpowers.

It's nothing to do with the stereotypical British centre-back. That line which is so often used to defend centre-backs from criticism is purely an attempt to discredit the critics. As if all we can understand of the CB's art is the winning of headers and making tackles. Pure bullshít.

Luiz being a shít CB has nothing to do with British CBs. He would be laughed out of the Italian squad as well. He is simply a dodgy CB playing on a strong team.

lol at the idea of Luiz being first choice on every PL team other than Arsenal and Chelsea too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Poor stuff, no penetration

Advertisement