Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Delighted to see football heavyweights Toronto FC are represented in the Brazil squad.

It was going to be them or QPR :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

a Brazil Team not in the squad.

______________Rafael__________________
    Danilo___Miranda___Marquinhos____Luis Filipe
    _____________Sandro___Lucas___________
    Lucas Moura____Kaka__________Coutinho
    _____________ Pato_________________

Ronaldinho too could be in it as well. Would give there starting 11 for the World Cup a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Really don't get the love for David Luiz...would have Miranda in there before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Really don't get the love for David Luiz...would have Miranda in there before him.

I really don't like him either, but he was, quite strangely, Brazil's best player in the Confederations Cup last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

MD1990 wrote: »
    a Brazil Team not in the squad.

______________Rafael__________________
    Danilo___Miranda___Marquinhos____Luis Filipe
    _____________Sandro___Lucas___________
    Lucas Moura____Kaka__________Coutinho
    _____________ Pato_________________

Ronaldinho too could be in it as well. Would give there starting 11 for the World Cup a game.

Here's another one

Diego Alves
    Rafinha - Dede - Miranda - Filipe Luis
    Reges - Sandro
    -Lucas Moura -Coutinho - Firmino
    Lima

But Big Phil is a fan of grafters, who will probably win most games by one goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

wait a minute.. is that Jo... Everton Jo?????????

WTF???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

wait a minute.. is that Jo... Everton Jo?????????

WTF???

Scorer of a whopping 26 goals since 2008 in league matches. 15 in 50 odd for Atl Mineiro.

Boy are they fcked if Fred gets injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/copa-do-mundo/playerlist.html

For anyone wanting to pronounce names properly :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

xtal191 wrote: »
    http://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/copa-do-mundo/playerlist.html

For anyone wanting to pronounce names properly :rolleyes:

It's hilarious that they have Neymar there for every country, don't think his name is that much of a problem :pac:

Actually a nice idea to have the pronounciation of the names though.

Edit: It's actually even funnier than I thought, it's how different people say Neymars name.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I really don't like him either, but he was, quite strangely, Brazil's best player in the Confederations Cup last year.

He was great in that tournament. I think his style of play would be more suited to barcelona and he would probably look great playing for them. He takes too many risks as CB which get exploited more in the PL due to the faster pace of the game.

German squad (provisional) :

Tor:
    Manuel Neuer (Bayern München), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover 96)

Abwehr:
    Jerome Boateng (Bayern München), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Kevin Großkreutz (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Höwedes (Schalke 04), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Marcell Jansen (Hamburger SV), Philipp Lahm (Bayern München), Per Mertesacker (FC Arsenal), Shkodran Mustafi (Sampdoria Genua), Marcel Schmelzer (Borussia Dortmund)

Mittelfeld:
    Lars Bender (Bayer Leverkusen), Julian Draxler (Schalke 04), Matthias Ginter (SC Freiburg), Leon Goretzka (Schalke 04), Mario Götze (Bayern München), Andre Hahn (FC Augsburg), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern München), Max Meyer (Schalke 04), Thomas Müller (Bayern München), Mesut Özil (FC Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (FC Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schürrle (FC Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern München)

Angriff:
    Miroslav Klose (Lazio Rom), Kevin Volland (1899 Hoffenheim)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

The Germans are only taking two out-and-out Angriffs? I suppose Podolski and Schurrle will fill that role too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

The Germans are only taking two out-and-out Angriffs? I suppose Podolski and Schurrle will fill that role too.
    Reus , Özil , Muller & Götze also able to play up top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Volland is having a great season, klose has been injured a fair bit this season and gomez season has been a write off really so i guess it is cutting it fine but they certainly have enough goals in them in the 3 that will play off the striker in fairness. Surprised pne of leno/ter stegan didn't get in even though ter stegan tends to have a nightmare when he plays for the NT
    Id say durm/mustafi will get cut from defence. Ginter/goretzka/hahn/meyer from midfield too.

Edit:obviously could be different, depends if khedira is fit enough to make it and weather lahm plays midfield or full back.

What the **** does Stefan Kießling have to do or has he thrown his toys? Oh edit - injured last week.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    What the **** does Stefan Kießling have to do or has he thrown his toys? Oh edit - injured last week.

Fell out with leow ages ago

klose wrote: »

Edit:obviously could be different, depends if khedira is fit enough to make it and weather lahm plays midfield or full back.

Can't see Lahm playing midfield for Germany, they haven't got great options at fullback, and in midfield, they have Kroos/Schweinsteiger/Bender/Khedira.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

germanys midfield is scary. They should be there or there abouts.

striking options are maybe a little light but chances will no doubt be put on a plate for them .

Think Brazil will struggle, just dont think they compare as a squad to some of the others. They should top thier group and if they do runner up of group B awaits which is Spain, Holland or chile and i fancy all three of them to beat Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

aodea wrote: »

striking options are maybe a little light but chances will no doubt be put on a plate for them .

Think Brazil will struggle, just dont think they compare as a squad to some of the others. They should top thier group and if they do runner up of group B awaits which is Spain, Holland or chile and i fancy all three of them to beat Brazil.
    Besides Germany I wouldnt have confidence in any of the other teams beating Brazil

Brazil have already smashed Spain recently.

• Advertisement

Agreed, although the hype around Chile tends to ignore that they are much weaker defensively than Argentina, Brazil and even Uruguay which will count against them. They conceded a hatful during qualification. Should they cause an upset (or the Dutch implode) Brazil would be happy enough to face them.

Watched them in the qualifications and left feeling that the hype is not 100& justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Portugal smashed Spain before the last euros too. Pretty meaningless.

Would not read to much into that. yes Brazil thrashed spain in the confed but Spain in the world cup will be a differnt matter. I have not been impressed at all with Neymar this year and he was great in that tourni, spain will be a differnt animal in the world cup.

Chile have possible been a bit overhyped, and in last two games against brazil have been beaten and drawn. So i will take point here.

Its all opinions at this stage i guess. I think there are better squads at world cup than brazil but guess time will tell whether i am wrong or right.

In my opinion brazil are overhyped in this world cup. Worry if they had an injury to Fred or Neymar. We will definitly know after the croatia game as they arer a very solid side.

Liam O wrote: »
    Portugal smashed Spain before the last euros too. Pretty meaningless.

It's not a massive indicator, but it's far from meaningless. They beat Spain in an environment exactly the same as this World Cup, apart from the magnitude of the tournament. I'd fancy them to beat Spain again if the situation came up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Would not read to much into that. yes Brazil thrashed spain in the confed but Spain in the world cup will be a differnt matter. I have not been impressed at all with Neymar this year and he was great in that tourni, spain will be a differnt animal in the world cup.

Chile have possible been a bit overhyped, and in last two games against brazil have been beaten and drawn. So i will take point here.

Its all opinions at this stage i guess. I think there are better squads at world cup than brazil but guess time will tell whether i am wrong or right.

In my opinion brazil are overhyped in this world cup. Worry if they had an injury to Fred or Neymar. We will definitly know after the croatia game as they arer a very solid side.

You can be sure Neymar will leave his Barca form behind and will be Brazil's key man in this WC. Few key players have had decent rests during the season, Messi, Aguero, RvP, Ozil due to injury so will expect them to be fresh enough come mid June.

Is Falcao defo out for Colombia?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

rumour England squad to be announced on Monday.

kfallon wrote: »
    You can be sure Neymar will leave his Barca form behind and will be Brazil's key man in this WC. Few key players have had decent rests during the season, Messi, Aguero, RvP, Ozil due to injury so will expect them to be fresh enough come mid June.

He is out barring a minor miracle, you'd question how fit and effective he'd be even if he somehow got back running.

If they have to rely on Teo Guttierrez instead I pity them. Not impressive at River this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rojiblancos

I am pie wrote: »
    If they have to rely on Teo Guttierrez instead I pity them. Not impressive at River this year.

They've Jackson martinez, Adrian ramos and Carlos bacca too those 3 have done well all season and in good form

Arturo Vidal has minor knee surgey coming up. If there was no world cup he'd be at home with the leg up, big risk for a key player for Chile.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    rumour England squad to be announced on Monday.

Hardly a rumour, it was that date ages ago :p

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Hardly a rumour, it was that date ages ago :p

Was it not to be midweek?

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Was it not to be midweek?

I remember them setting a date a bit back. Can't remember what the date was though.

For the sake of the world cup i hope we see Neymar at his best however he has had a rough season on and off the pitch and i cant see him just being able to awitch that off and preform at his best. With regards to players becoming fresh for mid june maybe but i am sure they would have all liked to have more games under thier belt especially van persie.

Even if falcao is back in time no games for so long cant see it working for Colombia.

As a question although a lot of the squads have not been named yet which nation do you think has the most strength in depth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,613 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

As a question although a lot of the squads have not been named yet which nation do you think has the most strength in depth?

Would it still be spain. A lack of strikers in form might be the only thing. But they could probably name a 50 man squad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Would it still be spain. A lack of strikers in form might be the only thing. But they could probably name a 50 man squad :D

Costa and Llorente seem to be scoring quite regularly this season. Will Torres even make the squad this time? Surely Negredo will be in there too?

Costa and Llorente seem to be scoring quite regularly this season. Will Torres even make the squad this time? Surely Negredo will be in there too?

You can lump pedro in with the forwards as well i reckon.Yeah not sure about torres be suprised if he goes, as io will if Vilola goes. could not be sure about Llorente or Negrado going.

Costa and Pedro seem to me like the two definits.

Will he sacrafice midfoelders in the squad to bring more forwards i would not think so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

No Carrick, Cleverley or Cole in the England squad according to Twitter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Before the inevitable quota discussion kicks-off after England's "premature" exit, it's worth having a read of this article from Marcotti: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303627504579555652152561972?mod=wsj_nview_latest&mg=reno64-wsj

Johner wrote: »
    No Carrick, Cleverley or Cole in the England squad according to Twitter.

I'm quite surprised at Carrick and Cole to be honest. Interesting choice from Hodgson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'm quite surprised at Carrick and Cole to be honest. Interesting choice from Hodgson.

Coles retired from International football after being left out according to SS news now.

Carrick hasn't done enough to justify his place.

Middle of the middle will be Gerrard, Hendo, Wilshere and maybe Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Cole should have been taken imo. You'd imagine England will have to do a fair bit of defending and he's probably still the best in that department.

BnYoYmSCUAA2uVT.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I'm disappointed that Ashley Cole isn't going. For me he is still the best left back we've got and I was keen to see him starting against Italy. Nice to see his supportive words for the team though. He is the one England player who has always delivered in the big matches and he'll be missed.

Looks like kyle walker isn't going either according to sky. Probably leaves johnson as their starting rb which is gas as hes been awful this year. Cant think of any other rbs so hodge probably has jones/smalling pencilled in to fill in at rb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Surprised Cole isnt going to be honest, not surprised by Walker who is truely awful even though Johnson hasn't been much better this year id still have him over walker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

BnYoYmSCUAA2uVT.png

You couldn't add Gibbs to that graphic could you ? I know he's been injured a lot but if not he would have been very close to making that plane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

ngwzs8.png

Someone should really tell him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Weakest England squad at a WC ever?

greendom wrote: »
    You couldn't add Gibbs to that graphic could you ? I know he's been injured a lot but if not he would have been very close to making that plane

306653.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement