Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    The Observer had a great one yesterday so I picked it up. In sure there''ll be a few knocking around the the next few days. Don't think any tabloid has given away any yet

Yep I picked up the one in the Observer on Sunday. It's very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Group A
    Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
    Group B
    Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
    Group C
    Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
    Group D
    Uruguay, Costa Rica, England, Italy
    Group E
    Switzerland, Ecuador, France, Honduras
    Group F
    Argentina, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Iran, Nigeria
    Group G
    Germany, Portugal, Ghana, United States
    Group H
    Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea

GROUP WINNERS
    Group A:
    1) Brazil 2) Croatia

Group B:
    1) Spain 2) Netherlands

Group C:
    1) Ivory Coast 2) Colombia

Group D:
    1) Italy 2) Uruguay

Group E:
    1) France 2) Switzerland

Group F:
    1) Argentina 2) Bosnia

Group G:
    1) Germany 2) Portugal

Group H:
    1) Belgium 2) Russia

SECOND ROUND
    Brazil v Netherland = Brazil winners

Spain v Croatia = Spain winners

Ivory Coast v Uruguay = Uruguay winners

Italy v Colombia = Italy winners

France v Bosnia = France winners

Argentina v Switzerland = Argentina winners

Germany v Russia = Germany winners

Belgium v Portugal = Belgium winners

QUARTER FINALS
    France v Germany = Germany winners

Brazil v Uruguay = Brazil winners

Argentina v Belgium = Argentina winners

Spain v Italy = Spain winners

SEMI FINALS
    Germany v Brazil = Germany winners

Argentina v Spain = Argentina winners

FINAL
    Argentina v Germany = Germany winners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

A thought just popped into my head, no vuvuzelas this year thank christ, on a side note did anyone else get a world cup book from pp in the post, i got one yesterday, good book actually lots of interesting facts and stats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Two nice WC bracket posters here

Standard or 8-bit pixel style

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,951 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The England team

BpuDJt7CYAEq6M2.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

That's hilarious.

What day is Ireland's first group match btw? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

England are no fun since they finally grasped how bad they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

England will beat italy on sat 2-1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

shamrock55 wrote: »
    England will beat italy on sat 2-1

An incredibly boring 0-0 draw that's going to have me wishing that I went out rather than sitting in watching it.

England are no fun since they finally grasped how bad they are.

No one has tell the English how bad we are. We're the ones who have to watch them.

People seem to mix up 'expectation' with 'hope'. You only have to look at how revered Venables & Robson are for deliving semi-finalists to guage the true level of expecation. But if you don't go into these things with hope then what is the point of turning up?
    Paully D wrote: »
    An incredibly boring 0-0 draw that's going to have me wishing that I went out rather than sitting in watching it.

This. I don't think it'll be one for the neutrals.

With the Irish thrashed by a Portuguese side that was in "warm up" mode last night I refuse to take any mocking here with anything other than contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

mike65 wrote: »
    With the Irish thrashed by a Portuguese side that was in "warm up" mode last night I refuse to take any mocking here with anything other than contempt.

And a second string Irish team that was in holiday mode,Portugal are preparing for a World Cup they should be gearing up pretty nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Beefy78 wrote: »
    This. I don't think it'll be one for the neutrals.

I'm also predicting a low-scoring tight game. 0-0 wouldn't surprise me.

But I don't think it will be dull.

Not for me at least. This is the World Cup and a massive game, no two ways about. Going to be filled with tension and the magic that the WC brings.

Going to be watching it with a bunch of English lads, and one angry Nordy who won't be hiding his anti-Britishness. Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Pictures up on the Guardian of the Manuas pitch. Looks absolutely shocking.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Pictures up on the Guardian of the Manuas pitch. Looks absolutely shocking.

Link?Jesus hope the pitches aren't a talking point.

Morzadec wrote: »
    I'm also predicting a low-scoring tight game. 0-0 wouldn't surprise me.

But I don't think it will be dull.

Not for me at least. This is the World Cup and a massive game, no two ways about. Going to be filled with tension and the magic that the WC brings.

Going to be watching it with a bunch of English lads, and one angry Nordy who won't be hiding his anti-Britishness. Can't wait

Oh I'm counting the seconds. But I think both sides will know that neither can afford to lose and if the pitch is as bad as it looks and conditions as sapping as expected I wouldn't exepect a conventionally entertaining match.

Last 20 minutes should be exciting if one side decides to really run at tiring defenders. It's a real shame that Oxlade-Chamberlain won't make it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Link?Jesus hope the pitches aren't a talking point.

Manaus-pitch-006.jpg

4a27aafb-354c-40e3-aca6-733e861f4f46-460x276.jpeg

That's a joke.I presume this pitch will start tearing up very easily with the state it's in right now?

Fairly annoying they can't get the pitch right for a World Cup.

Meglamonia wrote: »
    That's a joke.I presume this pitch will start tearing up very easily with the state it's in right now?

Fairly annoying they can't get the pitch right for a World Cup.

I don't think it is just this pitch either. The pitch at the Maracana looked a right state last week during one of Brazil's warm-ups.

I don't think it is just this pitch either. The pitch at the Maracana looked a right state last week during one of Brazil's warm-ups.

Yeah and I saw a picture of the stadium in São Paulo last week and there was no turf on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

One Football Brazil free in the iTunes App Store. Might be handy for anyone trying to keep track of news,games etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Got Ivory Coast in the draw in work :( .. there's €10 I wont see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

RayCon wrote: »
    Got Ivory Coast in the draw in work :( .. there's €10 I wont see again.

I have got Korea in mine, i have jumped on board though and the dest has few flags up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I have Mexico and Costs Rica, I'd ****ing love the ivory coast!

• Can anyone confirm are RTE doing Apres Match for the WC???

aodea wrote: »
    I have got Korea in mine, i have jumped on board though and the dest has few flags up

You've inspired me ... just printed off a flag and stuck it up on the desk !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I got Greece. Gonna 1-0 their way to the tournament :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

you could have just stuck your Irish flag upside down

Just to get ye in the mood. Great Montage!

astonaidan wrote: »
    you could have just stuck your Irish flag upside down

Who says I didn't

Same here. Flag of Ghana is now flying proudly at my desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Anyone else sort of up for England? I realize it would be a different ball game if we qualified but I identify the most with them so I'd be quite pleased if they could pull off an upset.

If they get to the semi's I'd almost hedge my bets and book a holiday out because if they win it will be carnage!

An England World Cup win would be the best day ever. I can only imagine the celebration.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Anyone else sort of up for England? I realize it would be a different ball game if we qualified but I identify the most with them so I'd be quite pleased if they could pull off an upset.

If they get to the semi's I'd almost hedge my bets and book a holiday out because if they win it will be carnage!

I'm not up for England, but that's because of their style of play rather than any other reason. They're one of the most interesting teams to talk about because everybody who watches the PL knows the players and can have ideas about what should be done differently. And their perennial under achievement makes discussing their selections and tactics even more interesting.

Stat in the Guardian - England have played the most goalless draws at a world cup than any other nation - 10.

I like watching england but havent enjoyed watching them since 96-98. Theyre just a poor team to watch for the players they have, rarely do they click. It will be interesting to see if the likes of Sterling, Barkley, Ox can have any effect on their games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Ox is out.

Hopefully Wilshere gets a run out and performs. Barkley, Sturridge and Lallana could well light it up and you never know what the story is with Rooney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ox is out.

Hopefully Wilshere gets a run out and performs. Barkley, Sturridge and Lallana could well light it up and you never know what the story is with Rooney.

Where are you hearing this ?

Pro. F wrote: »
    And their perennial under achievement makes discussing their selections and tactics even more interesting.

England are a last-eight side and consitently get to around that level (only Germany and Brazil have made that round more frequently in the past eight World Cups).

Ox is out.

from twitter
    At #england training in Rio. No Welbeck, no Oxlade-Chamberlain #worldcup pic.twitter.com/IMnoNha4Fm

and
    Sky Sports News @SkySportsNews · 2m
    Danny Welbeck and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain miss England open training session.

Ahh, out of the Italy game, not the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Who says I didn't
    Mary from accounting

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The pitch in Manaus is in grand condition. England vs Italy is the first game on it.

Bp1lgDmCUAAGxjm.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

astonaidan wrote: »
    Mary from accounting

That woman can NOT keep her mouth shut...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

England are a last-eight side and consitently get to around that level (only Germany and Brazil have made that round more frequently in the past eight World Cups).

Germany, Brazil, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Argentina have all had a hell of a lot more success than England in that time.

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The pitch in Manaus is in grand condition. England vs Italy is the first game on it.

Bp1lgDmCUAAGxjm.jpg:large

That's shocking - like a Mid December non-league pitch after months of rain. Surely they could have made a better job of a World Cup pitch in 21st Century,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Well yeh, if they hadn't built a stadium in the middle of the bloomin' Amazon.

Wiki - Manaus has a tropical monsoon climate (Am) according to the Köppen climate classification system, with more or less consistent temperatures all year round. Because the driest month, August, sees less than 60 mm (2 in) of precipitation, the city's climate falls under the tropical monsoon climate category instead of the tropical rainforest climate category.

Sounds like a great place to try and plant and maintain a smooth green playing surface.

This tournament had better produce GREAT football, cause it's planning and legacy will leave a lot to be desired...

Advertisement