Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Pro. F wrote: »
    Germany, Brazil, France, Italy, the Netherlands and Argentina have all had a hell of a lot more success than England in that time.

So? And?

You described England's World Cup record as being one of "perennial under achievement" But that simply isn't the case unless you believe that England are, or have been, a top-four nation in that time.

Top-eight is typical expectation from the English public and media, it's typical of whereabout they are in the World rankings around World Cup time and it's where England typically finish.

England's World Cup record is perennial mediocrity not under achievement.

Dickerty wrote: »
    This tournament had better produce GREAT football, cause it's planning and legacy will leave a lot to be desired...

Difficult to produce great football on these sorts of pitches. I'd be tempted to give Rickie Lambert a lot of pitch time if I were Roy Hodgson. He's used to such lower-league conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Odds on Spain are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Beefy78 wrote: »
    So? And?

You described England's World Cup record as being one of "perennial under achievement" But that simply isn't the case unless you believe that England are, or have been, a top-four nation in that time.

Top-eight is typical expectation from the English public and media, it's typical of whereabout they are in the World rankings around World Cup time and it's where England typically finish.

England's World Cup record is perennial mediocrity not under achievement.

I think in 30 years they should have managed to get into the top 4 more than once. Perennial mediocrity for a country with the strength of league and number of players available to select from is severe underachievement. And that's just the last 30 years. You could go back 140 years and for the vast majority of that time England have underperformed in international football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When England pick a good manager they do well enough, when they don't - they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I just remembered why I hate Spain, stupid Mendieta :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

I know I'm going to be unpopular here but fcuk England.

patmac wrote: »
    I know I'm going to be unpopular here but fcuk England.

Boooo fcuk you guy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Difficult to produce great football on these sorts of pitches. I'd be tempted to give Rickie Lambert a lot of pitch time if I were Roy Hodgson. He's used to such lower-league conditions.

I bet the majority of Championship and even L1 pitches would be better than how that looks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Why do people object so much to people disliking England? Because anyone has an interest in an English based team that they must therefore not dislike their national team? 2 very, very different creatures. I've no problem saying I hope England don't do well.

It's also not hypocrisy to do that either, despite it being wheeled out every time tournaments roll round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I see they have a turtle now as the official animal to predict the winner of every game.

If I was a betting man, I'd pick a team based solely on my own inkling and intuition, not because a turtle randomly swam towards a country's flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    The pitch in Manaus is in grand condition. England vs Italy is the first game on it.

Bp1lgDmCUAAGxjm.jpg:large

Are we sure that's a recent pic? That could be a picture from a few months ago for all we know? Just saying.

I guess the only way to find out is to watch the match on the day:)

*If that is the state of the pitch(es) then its truly shocking...

falan wrote: »
    Are we sure that's a recent pic? That could be a picture from a few months ago for all we know? Just saying.

I guess the only way to find out is to watch the match on the day:)

*If that is the state of the pitch(es) then its truly shocking...

There seems to be contradictory claims about whether it was taken yesterday or four days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

There seems to be contradictory claims about whether it was taken yesterday or four days ago.

If it was taken yesterday or four days ago then you would think they would at least have it marked out by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

As usual the English media have been quiet enough about their chances all year, but in the last few weeks as the tournament approaches, they come up with the usual BS of 'they might spring a few surprises'.
    They ain't gonna get out of their group. They have a handful of good player, Hart, Gerrard (bit old to be considered great anymore), Rooney, Wiltshire and Sturridge. That's not going to be good enough against Italy or Uruguay, and there won't be any upsets from Costa Rica to give them a chance.
    They are still going on about the so called 'Golden Generation' of 10 years ago, FFS. Slightly tarnished brass generation I'd have labeled them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Lads, is there an app for the McDonalds FF thing?
    Don't see one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I see they have a turtle now as the official animal to predict the winner of every game.

If I was a betting man, I'd pick a team based solely on my own inkling and intuition, not because a turtle randomly swam towards a country's flag.

Really? Weird.

paulbok wrote: »
    As usual the English media have been quiet enough about their chances all year, but in the last few weeks as the tournament approaches, they come up with the usual BS of 'they might spring a few surprises'.

They "might" spring a few surprise? No wonder you're outraged at such an OTT media reaction.
    paulbok wrote: »
    They ain't gonna get out of their group.

A view shared by most people I'd say, including a lot of the media in England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

South American pitches are ****e - doesn't matter what the level of the game is. Truth is if you want a proper playing surface northern Europe is the place to be. Perfect mix of rain, dry bits, wind and of course high quality maintenance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

mike65 wrote: »
    South American pitches are ****e - doesn't matter what the level of the game is. Truth is if you want a proper playing surface northern Europe is the place to be. Perfect mix of rain, dry bits, wind and of course high quality maintenance.

Hear, hear :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The Guardian has an article here about the state of the pitch and stadium at Manaus.
    In and around the changing rooms, naked power cables could be seen dangling from the walls. According to reports, outside the stadium workers were still applying a final coat of asphalt, while several security doors could be seen in their packaging, still waiting to be fitted.

I've an awful feeling that a lot of people are going to get hurt at this world cup.

• My bets for the WC;

Argentina outright @ 5/1 EW
    Higuain - Top Goalscorer @ 21/1 EW
    Toure - Top Goalscorer @ 126/1 E/W :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    My bets for the WC;

Argentina outright @ 5/1 EW
    Higuain - Top Goalscorer @ 21/1 EW
    Toure - Top Goalscorer @ 126/1 E/W :pac::pac:

Toure might miss the first game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm currently reading All Played Out: The Full Story of Italia '90 by Pete Davies. He followed the England team around before and during the WC.
    Anyway, there was lots of talk about stadiums not being ready back then too. It crops up almost every tournament.

• Meglamonia wrote: »
    Toure might miss the first game!

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dunno what to make of all the group spin off threads. Would rather it was all here save for the odd match thread, tbh.

Perhaps not feasible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Knex. wrote: »
    Dunno what to make of all the group spin off threads. Would rather it was all here save for the odd match thread, tbh.

Perhaps not feasible.

Wait for it, something cool is going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Knex. wrote: »

Perhaps not feasible.

Seems like it will spread out the conversation alright and none of the threads will be busy, would have preferred all discussion here and just usual match threads myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Anyone else fancy Croatia tomorrow night? Their midfield is far superior to Brazil's midfield. Mandzukic is suspended but I still think that Croatia can win 1-0 here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I was tempted to bet on a draw with a free bet but its hard to see past Brazil winning tomorrow, can't wait. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

glued wrote: »
    Anyone else fancy Croatia tomorrow night? Their midfield is far superior to Brazil's midfield. Mandzukic is suspended but I still think that Croatia can win 1-0 here.

I don't necessarily fancy them to win, but I think they have a good chance of picking up a result. I have a free bet for the first game so will probably throw it on Croatia double chance.

I posted a few pages back that only 3 favourites have won an opening game at the World Cup out of the last 10. Out of those 3 wins, Germany's 4-2 win vs Costa Rica was the biggest deficit.

At worst I think Croatia will keep it tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Decided to back the argies outright, I'm on holiday at the moment though and just wondering if they won their first game or two would their price for the tournament contact much?

Don't want to back then now because I'm wanting to keep my money for the holiday

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Had €4 in my PP account so threw it on Croatia @ 9/1 (think they could be gotten as high as 12/1 elsewhere). Seemed like good value and gives me someone to cheer for :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Croatia are severley hampered by a complete lack of wingers, even if Mandzukic had been playing he wouldnt have been effective as his overall play without aerial isn't all that great. Croatia also struggled in qualifying and barely made it to the finals, with all those same players.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2655237/Has-Gary-Neville-revealed-Englands-tactics-against-Italy-ahead-World-Cup-Group-D-opener.html

This is hilarious. The good, honest, patriotic Daily Mail promising not to reveal England's tactics.

• Advertisement

For ****s sake. ****.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

That's actually hilarious

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Will there be a thread like their was for the Euro 2012?

It was called "Euro 2012 politically incorrect photos of hot girlies in the crowd" :)

Wonder will Russia bring their star of the Euro's with them

9GHKU.gif

Will there be a thread like their was for the Euro 2012?

It was called "Euro 2012 politically incorrect photos of hot girlies in the crowd" :)

Wonder will Russia bring their star of the Euro's with them

9GHKU.gif

Yeah there's a thread on this alrady :pac:

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Yeah there's a thread on this alrady :pac:

Just seen it :cool:

• Advertisement

Match of the day live:World cup preview on BBC 1 in 5 mins for anyone interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

just seen pics of the pitch for England v Italy game.

shocking

Match of the day live:World cup preview on BBC 1 in 5 mins for anyone interested

Sound.

Was watching the film for the 06 World Cup there on BT Sports,amazing the way I can remember more about the 1990,94 and 98 World Cups,bloody bozze has my memory fecked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Linekar, Shearer and Ferdinand? Pure torture, that.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Sound.

Was watching the film for the 06 World Cup there on BT Sports,amazing the way I can remember more about the 1990,94 and 98 World Cups,bloody bozze has my memory fecked :)

06 was a great tournament but that film was a mess, lots left out iirc and you can only tolerate Brosnan for so long!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

http://www.punditarena.com/football/thepateam/world-cup-opener-preview-brazil-vs-croatia/

looking forwqard to the opener. Croatia and Brazil is a decent game ..I think it could be messi's World Cup

RTE should have pulled out all the stops for Bill's last tournament,should have sent the panel out to Brazil like the BBC do,Dunphy would run riot

"Copacabana Baby" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Come on Germany!!!

Lads, i'm going to bed. When I wake up it'll be the day that the World Cup starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

just seen pics of the pitch for England v Italy game.

shocking

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/11/manaus-pitch-brazil-world-cup-2014-england-italy

• Advertisement
Advertisement