Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Today's the day :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

would there not be a good case to be made for a world cup sub-forum for the next month?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,041 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Gents, looking for a bit of assistance.

Organising a World Cup pool at work, everyone gets a team, all teams used.
    I want to keep it interesting for all parties though so going for a range of prize categories;
    Winner
    Team with worst overall record
    Top scoring team in the group stage
    Side to qualify for knockouts with the worst record.

Any others you folks can think of?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Gents, looking for a bit of assistance.

Organising a World Cup pool at work, everyone gets a team, all teams used.
    I want to keep it interesting for all parties though so going for a range of prize categories;
    Winner
    Team with worst overall record
    Top scoring team in the group stage
    Side to qualify for knockouts with the worst record.

Any others you folks can think of?

first red card
    most cards - a points system 1y, 3r or whatever
    first OG
    first penalty scorers
    first penalty save
    first to win penalty shootout
    first free kick scorers
    first defender to score
    first to use all 3 subs
    hatrick scorer
    biggest winning margin
    biggest losing margin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Anyone want to do a last man standing competition for this?

Pick a team each week to win. Can't pick same team twice.

Not sure how feasible it is with the later rounds though. It's too early for me to think about it. Can it be done?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Last night Spain were 13/2 to lift the trophy. Why are they suddenly the #3 favourite behind Brazil and Argentina? I understand the whole South American location, the winner's history etc, but it's Spain!

• MagicIRL wrote: »
    Last night Spain were 13/2 to lift the trophy. Why are they suddenly the #3 favourite behind Brazil and Argentina? I understand the whole South American location, the winner's history etc, but it's Spain!

Prices have been falling and will fall all day prior to kick-off this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Knex. wrote: »
    Anyone want to do a last man standing competition for this?

Pick a team each week to win. Can't pick same team twice.

Not sure how feasible it is with the later rounds though. It's too early for me to think about it. Can it be done?

I'd say run each round every two days. That gives six fixtures to choose a single winner from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

MagicIRL wrote: »

I see Brazil buckling under the pressure, they haven't got a player like a Ronaldo or Messi to pin their hopes on but they get to quarter finals. If anyone says Neymar I go crazy :pac:.

I expect a Germany and Spain final unless they clash earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Will there be a thread like their was for the Euro 2012?

It was called "Euro 2012 politically incorrect photos of hot girlies in the crowd" :)

Wonder will Russia bring their star of the Euro's with them

9GHKU.gif

God I missed her! Haha

God I missed her! Haha

Never got the hype and love the Russia girl got, there were better looking women at Euro's that year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Looper007 wrote: »
    Never got the hype and love the Russia girl got, there were better looking women at Euro's that year.

It's the smile/laugh and looks very natural that does it for me

It's the smile/laugh and looks very natural that does it for me

Ah I see, I thought it was based on looks alone. The thing that stuck out from Euro 2012 was the amount of Glamour Models who were trying to get some screen time and get some attention. It was a bit of a dour point as it's always nice to see the Normal natural beauties in the crowd been picked out by the camera men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's still so weird to me how Spain have become this world powerhouse. All through my childhood there was a smell of England off them on the international stage! :pac: How things change.

It's still so weird to me how Spain have become this world powerhouse. All through my childhood there was a smell of England off them on the international stage! :pac: How things change.

It's amazing how many are writing them off right now. I'm going for Germany this world cup but Spain winning it again wouldn't surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Will there be a thread like their was for the Euro 2012?

It was called "Euro 2012 politically incorrect photos of hot girlies in the crowd" :)

Wonder will Russia bring their star of the Euro's with them

9GHKU.gif

Russia should have had automatic qualification on this basis.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

72d6830ef463a122bd59e5d439ebf09c.png

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

What time's kick-off?

• OdgeXD wrote: »
    What time's kick-off?

9:00pm I think :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    72d6830ef463a122bd59e5d439ebf09c.png

Good God that is scary

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Can't wait for the big kick off :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

A lot of people seem to be going for Germany to win this time round; am I the only one who sees 2 or 3 other teams finishing ahead/doing better than them?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them win it myself (I love the country) but I don't see them doing well enough to get to the final.

Good God that is scary

Aye. Utterly ridiculous.

I'm struggling to believe that this is less than 100% tested and secure. 2014, no excuse for Stadium Safety issues anymore.

I always love a good upset or a team that comes out of nowhere and sets the world cup alight.

Hopefully this world cup isn't as disappointing as the one in South Africa, a lot of poor games came out of that. I expect a few cautious 0-0's during the first and second round of games. But hopefully we can get a few top matches in the group stages.

Average-Ro wrote: »
    A lot of people seem to be going for Germany to win this time round; am I the only one who sees 2 or 3 other teams finishing ahead/doing better than them?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see them win it myself (I love the country) but I don't see them doing well enough to get to the final.

No way Germany will power through them all, I think Spain and Brazil with the home crowd behind them might beat them. But they got a awesome squad, power and pace. I want them to win as they do play some wonderful football and it be nice for a European team to go to South America and win it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I can't see Germany doing that well tbh. Reus is a massive loss and I think he is their best player. Gotze and Ozil have had a mixed bag of a season although Gotze was on the treatment table quite a bit. They have no striker of note and their defence has never impressed me over the past few years.

I think Muller like the last WC will be key to anything that Germany do.

glued wrote: »
    I can't see Germany doing that well tbh. Reus is a massive loss and I think he is their best player. Gotze and Ozil have had a mixed bag of a season although Gotze was on the treatment table quite a bit. They have no striker of note and their defence has never impressed me over the past few years.

I think Muller like the last WC will be key to anything that Germany do.

This is basically what I was just about to type:)

Would LOVE for them to do well, but I don't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,281 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Same as the two opinions above i just dont think Germany will have enough to do it this time, Reus is a massive loss. Cant see beyond one of Argentina, Brazil and Spain. Tiny e/w bet on France purely as their price is huge.

Average-Ro wrote: »

Germany won't win zilch with Loew at the helm. There's more optimism with Arsenal supporters for the NT than Germans mates I know.

• Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Germany won't win zilch with Loew at the helm. There's more optimism with Arsenal supporters for the NT than Germans mates I know.

Agree, not going to win it. But there still a safe bet for the Semis

• Advertisement

Why is that? I know you follow German football so maybe you can explain why they don't like Low?

The Onion give a breakdown on their "Teams to Watch".

http://www.theonion.com/articles/world-cup-teams-to-watch,36253/#1

An Example of the type of insight to expect:
    BRAZIL

Strength: As host country, team will play in the stadium least likely to collapse at any moment

Weaknesses: Only qualified for World Cup through back door as tournament hosts; Nation will probably fall into total anarchy regardless of team’s performance

Roster: Contains a record seven “Next Pele”s

World Cup History: Has never advanced past championship match in seven tries

Official Team Suffix: “-inho”

• Knex. wrote: »

:pac::pac: My lunch time reading material

Same as the two opinions above i just dont think Germany will have enough to do it this time, Reus is a massive loss. Cant see beyond one of Argentina, Brazil and Spain. Tiny e/w bet on France purely as their price is huge.

Can't wait to see Germany prove you doubters wrong. Just cause Reus is missing doesn't make them weak. They are a far stronger team then Brazil and Argentina.

Who are you all of a sudden The Chosen one?

Can't wait to see Germany prove you doubters wrong. Just cause Reus is missing doesn't make them weak. They are a far stronger team then Brazil and Argentina.

Do you not think only one recognized striker and one inexperienced left back will hamper them though? Apparently some of their main players are carrying injury niggles too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Agree, not going to win it. But there still a safe bet for the Semis

does anyone know of any bookies who pay-out on each way bets if teams reach the semis. Paddy Power only pay out if they reach the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

This little gem from the above regarding Spain:

Fun Fact: 23-man team currently country’s biggest employer :pac::cool:

My favourite is England:

Weakness: Insists on “Wourld Cup” spelling

• Advertisement

MagicIRL wrote: »
    This little gem from the above regarding Spain:

Fun Fact: 23-man team currently country’s biggest employer :pac::cool:

There's a few good ones in fairness to them.

I want that job. Nobody pays me for being a plonk on boards, yet over on The Onion its not only mandatory, but monetarily encouraged.

• greendom wrote: »
    does anyone know of any bookies who pay-out on each way bets if teams reach the semis. Paddy Power only pay out if they reach the final.

Nope if you bet before 9 tonight you can get any team even reaching the last 16 on PP. Its on the world cup specials page.

glued wrote: »
    Why is that? I know you follow German football so maybe you can explain why they don't like Low?

Loew doesn't seem to know what his best team is, still(!), constantly tinkering with the line up, trying all sorts of line ups and formations, but yet despite that, the team lacks a Plan B when out on the pitch in terms of style. They were famed for being mentally the strongest out of any side collectively around over a number of years, but this side seems wilt frequently when the opposition have any meaningful possession for decent periods of time. A lot of Germans, including Dortmund fans believe Gotze should be the main man to build the team around from an offensive stand point too as Ozil still goes missing for large spells of games. Then there is the mess with the strikers. For me, Volland should have been integrated far sooner into the team. But considering that didn't happen, up until his injury, I was adamant Reus should have lead the line with Gotze behind him.

This time around, Schurrle aside, lack of pace will kill them. One mustn't forget how ruthless they were on the counter in South Africa and up until Greece and then Italy, in Ukraine and Poland a couple of years ago.

Who are you all of a sudden The Chosen one?

Who are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Haha, here's a good one:

FRANCE
    Strengths: Great individual chemistry on roster; New crop of promising young talent finally ready to implode on international stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

There's a few good ones in fairness to them.

I want that job. Nobody pays me for being a plonk on boards, yet over on The Onion its not only mandatory, but monetarily encouraged.

Nice linkage there.

Favourite of mine:

Nickname: The German International Soccer Team

• Advertisement

Also, the whole Costa to Spain thing went way over my head until recently enough actually.

Not quite sure how I missed that, as its pretty big news.

Must say, was quite surprised by it all. Imagine if Spain do play Brazil at any stage, he'll get one hell of a hostile reception. Deserved too, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Also, the whole Costa to Spain thing went way over my head until recently enough actually.

Must say, was quite surprised by it all. Imagine if Spain do play Brazil at any stage, he'll get one hell of a hostile reception. Deserved too, IMO.

What? I'm a bigger sap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Him playing for both spawned my favourite football trivia question.

Which footballer made his international debut twice against Italy in the space of less than a year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    What? I'm a bigger sap.

He's Brazilian and played for them last year before switching to Spain.

What does everyone make of England's World Cup chances? Personally I don't think that they stand a chance. They may limp it out of the group but Hodgson isn't good enough to get 150% out of this team which is what they'll need to have any meaningful impact on the side. Gerrard has been good this season but has been dominated by better midfielders in the Premier League. He's going to be a massive lynch pin of this side and I'm not sure how effective he can be against some of the better teams in the World Cup. I don't understand the squad selection either. Aside from Gerrard there is no other natural player in the squad to set the tempo for England. Carrick, albeit off form should still have gone as he was the obvious alternative. The only way I can see England progressing is if Rooney can finally do it for England on the World Cup stage. If Rooney can get playing then him and Sturridge could do some damage but I think England's midfield is pretty poor. Baines was also shocking last week too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement