Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

glued wrote: »
    What does everyone make of England's World Cup chances? Personally I don't think that they stand a chance. They may limp it out of the group but Hodgson isn't good enough to get 150% out of this team which is what they'll need to have any meaningful impact on the side. Gerrard has been good this season but has been dominated by better midfielders in the Premier League. He's going to be a massive lynch pin of this side and I'm not sure how effective he can be against some of the better teams in the World Cup. I don't understand the squad selection either. Aside from Gerrard there is no other natural player in the squad to set the tempo for England. Carrick, albeit off form should still have gone as he was the obvious alternative. The only way I can see England progressing is if Rooney can finally do it for England on the World Cup stage. If Rooney can get playing then him and Sturridge could do some damage but I think England's midfield is pretty poor. Baines was also shocking last week too.

I don't see them getting past the last 16, let alone the QF.

Just looking at teams I think could beat England with ease: Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Spain, Holland, Chile, and Italy.

Then teams that would probably do them too includes Columbia, Croatia, Portugal, Uruguay and France. I honestly don't see what the squad brings that's special. Mediocracy accross the pitch, with Sturridge and Rooney the only real threats. Some very average players in that team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

glued wrote: »
    What does everyone make of England's World Cup chances? Personally I don't think that they stand a chance. They may limp it out of the group but Hodgson isn't good enough to get 150% out of this team which is what they'll need to have any meaningful impact on the side. Gerrard has been good this season but has been dominated by better midfielders in the Premier League. He's going to be a massive lynch pin of this side and I'm not sure how effective he can be against some of the better teams in the World Cup. I don't understand the squad selection either. Aside from Gerrard there is no other natural player in the squad to set the tempo for England. Carrick, albeit off form should still have gone as he was the obvious alternative. The only way I can see England progressing is if Rooney can finally do it for England on the World Cup stage. If Rooney can get playing then him and Sturridge could do some damage but I think England's midfield is pretty poor. Baines was also shocking last week too.

Well at least you didn't give it 110% with that line!

You could rewrite your post and drop in AN Other name and make pretty much the same arguments. Englands chances of winning the world cup are very, very, very small - its not like that is news to anyone. If they get out of the group stage then all depends on if its top or second. Knockout games as we all know are funny in that they have their own peculiar dynamic - quite different to group/league matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

8 hours 59 mins to kickoff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

miralize wrote: »
    8 hours 59 mins to kickoff!

four.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've had England to go out in the group due to an Italian/Uruguayan draw since five minutes after the draw.

I think Germany won't get out of their group either :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Thank god ive an evening shift on work, the waiting would have killed me otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I've had England to go out in the group due to an Italian/Uruguayan draw since five minutes after the draw.

I think Germany won't get out of their group either :eek:

I don't think Holland will either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

greendom wrote: »
    I don't think Holland will either

Yeah I don't think the Dutch will get out of that group. Outside of van Persie and Robben they haven't a whole lot else. Although on their day they could easily carry that team.

The Dutch press have minimal expectations especially since Strootman done his ACL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Will Wilshere get a run out at all for England? Surely on form he deserves a starting spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Will Wilshere get a run out at all for England? Surely on form he deserves a starting spot.

On form? The lad has barely been fit the last few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

No way does Wilshere deserve to start.

Course he doesn't, what I'm saying is could he come on as a sub and maybe put in a decent shift and then get his chance? I realize he's been very poor lately but he might perk up because of the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Course he doesn't, what I'm saying is could he come on as a sub and maybe put in a decent shift and then get his chance? I realize he's been very poor lately but he might perk up because of the event.

Barley, Sterling and Ox when fit will all be ahead of him to come on if they need to change it up imo. Lambert too probably. I dont think he will get a touch barring an injury to Gerrard or Henderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Raf32 wrote: »
    Barley, Sterling and Ox when fit will all be ahead of him to come on if they need to change it up imo. Lambert too probably. I dont think he will get a touch barring an injury to Gerrard or Henderson.

No way will Gerrard be playing 90 in every match. Wilshere will definitely get on the pitch at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Raf32 wrote: »

He'll definitely get playing time coming on for Gerrard or Henderson. Been good in the warm up games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Call me mad but here are my Top Scorer bets:

Christian Ricardo Stuani - Uruguay - 150/1 - €5
    Aguero - Argentina - 14/1 - €10
    Andre Schurrle - Germany - 80/1 - €5
    Oscar - Brazil - 80/1 - €5

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    :confused:

I meant it in a "surely, when on form, he deserves a starting spot" as opposed to implying he was playing well. I know he's not doing great lately but if he has a stormer of a 20 minutes then he might get his chance.

Clutching at straws here regardless!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Wish there was some live programme on now where they were just in and around the stadium or something can't handle the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Wish there was some live programme on now where they were just in and around the stadium or something can't handle the wait!

Protesting has kicked off anyway

http://news.sky.com/story/1280943/world-cup-violent-clashes-in-sao-paulo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Meglamonia wrote: »

its called sky sports news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

eh i dunno wrote: »
    its called sky sports news

I still think that it should be mandatory for them to put news in inverted commas.

Sky Sports sources understand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

klose wrote: »
    Thank god ive an evening shift on work, the waiting would have killed me otherwise.

One month only for the World Cup, better mow the lawn when I get home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

The one thing good about this World Cup is the matches are on at a good time for people who work, most people get home at 5 or a little later. 5,8 and 11 (I know the Japan/Ivory Coast game is the latest at 2 a.m) not bad at all. Does anyone remember the world cup in South korea and Japan, matches at 6 and 8 a.m that was crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Looper007 wrote: »
    The one thing good about this World Cup is the matches are on at a good time for people who work, most people get home at 5 or a little later. 5,8 and 11 (I know the Japan/Ivory Coast game is the latest at 2 a.m) not bad at all. Does anyone remember the world cup in South korea and Japan, matches at 6 and 8 a.m that was crazy.

Really?? Jesus, I need to start looking around for a new job.

:pac: I said most, well I certainly do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I don't get home till half 7!

Probably because I'm a lazy bastard who doesn't come in until 10 but still :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Knex. wrote: »
    I still think that it should be mandatory for them to put news in inverted commas.

Sky Sports sources understand...

"Sky Sports Promotions and things the world really really cares about but we don't have the rights to"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Looper007 wrote: »

Well wait i don't start work to 5PM myself LoL.

But where in luck have a TV in work for the matches :pac:

The joys of being Italian :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,943 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The amount of people I know who think they've got the "inside scoop" by saying Belgium are "dark horses".

They're 5th favourite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

ShaneU wrote: »
    The amount of people I know who think they've got the "inside scoop" by saying Belgium are "dark horses".

They're 5th favourite!

Not as bad as a lad telling me he got a "tip" for Uruguay :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I gave my wife €50 and told her to go out tonight and not come back until the football was finished.

"I won't need that much," she laughed.

"You will," I said. "It's got to last you five weeks."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I wonder who will be the surprise underdog team who runs riot in this WC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Mr_Red wrote: »

I think Bosnia will surprise a few people. Think Greece will be decent too

I'm going Columbia or Cameroon.

I think Bosnia will surprise a few people. Think Greece will be decent too

God no Greece are still playing that negative style of football, I hate seen it doing well that kind of football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Chile for me, can see Bosnia doing well too and Colombia surprising a few people with the way they cope after the loss of Falcao

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Greece in Euro 04 were fascinating to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Has the RTE studio been tango'd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Chile will be the strongest outsider/underdog but they need to top the group to go far in the competition. Can't see them beating Brazil in a knockout tie.
    I think Japan could surprise a few people. They've finally sorted out their goal-scoring problems and they're one of the best teams to watch going forward. They have some experience of the climate/stadiums from the Confederations Cup last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Any station showing the opening ceremony?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

MagicIRL wrote: »

RTE 2

MagicIRL wrote: »

RTE and ITV

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭Royal Irish

I can't decide to watch on either itv or rte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For anyone who just saw Ian Wright on the beach on ITV:
    James Jelly ‏@JamesJelly1988 1m
    All Ian Wright needs now is a T-Shirt with 'Pussy Patrol' on

:pac::pac::pac:

Here's George Hamilton's best impression of Marty Whelan now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Ok already bored will tune back in at 9 pm

• Advertisement

What the hell is this?

Advertisement