Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Netherlands? Really? I agree that they will struggle but the Netherlands team is nothing special at all.

Neither is the Brazilian team, going solely by what they showed tonight. 63 more matches to find out, I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Can't see Brazil win it out with that display. Very reliant on Neymar if an opposing side can stop him they will be beaten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Worst brazil team ive ever seen, no way in hell will that team win the world cup, the only half decent players on that team are oscar and neymar and even they are not great, the rest are terrible players, david luiz must be the worst defender at the world cup how the fcuk did psg pay 50m for him i wouldnt pay 50p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think Brazil will grow and improve as this tournament develops. Teams that start with a bang and have everyone wowing invariably fall by the wayside.

I really wouldn't be writing them off at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Hyperbole much? And Silva is sort of an ok player too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Worst brazil team ive ever seen, no way in hell will that team win the world cup, the only half decent players on that team are oscar and neymar and even they are not great, the rest are terrible players, david luiz must be the worst defender at the world cup how the fcuk did psg pay 50m for him i wouldnt pay 50p

Thiago Silva is probably the best CB in the world

But I agree with you that they looked poor, was only one game though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

People said the same about them in 94.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Will be interesteing when the ref puts that white line in front of the Columbians.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

The best defender in the world isn't half decent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Croatia will go further in this world cup then brazil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

I'll hold you to that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Can see them being knocked out in the last 16 by Spain, but they gave a good enough account of themselves tonight while missing their target man and playing against the crowd and ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Brazil didn't exactly impress but I think writing them off now is a bad idea. I reckon they will improve as the tournament goes on, I remember thinking they weren't great at the confederations cup last year but they managed to win games, thinking that might happen again this year. Only worry for me would be if anything happened to Neymar, he is essential if they want to win this.

Thought Oscar had a great game tonight, was very disappointed with Fred and Hulk, it's a very specific system they have but I really think someone like Willian would be better in there instead of Hulk, don't think I have ever seen him play well apart from his Porto days.

• Will be interesteing when the ref puts that white line in front of the Columbians.

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

It took them a while to grow in confidence, but once they got going Croatia were entertaining. They do well to usually play nice football no matter what state they're in when the tournaments role around. It's a pity they'll probably face Spain in the first knock-out game, but they'll be good to watch for as long as they there.

Brazil, very meh. Maybe they'll get better now they've got their first win. They were a lot more energetic at the Confederations Cup, I was surprised how slow the same team were tonight. Edit: It's amazing Fernandinho doesn't start for them, they could really do with his skills to get them playing out from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Pro. F wrote: »
    Brazil, very meh. Maybe they'll get better now they've got their first win. They were a lot more energetic at the Confederations Cup, I was surprised how slow the same team were tonight. Edit: It's amazing Fernandinho doesn't start for them, they could really do with his skills to get them playing out from the back.

Agree with the Fernandinho point. Also couldn't believe Willian didn't get on at some stage instead of Hulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

sFJkXri.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27827271

Can understand Kovac's frustration. Months of planning, you send out your team to do a job which they carry out very well and the game is unfairly taken away from you. No one likes a bitter manager but it's hard not to sympathies and agree in this situation.

Scolari's post match comments were pathetic IMO. Own up ffs.

Brazil have done an excellent job of turning me against them tonight.

Anyone but Brazil from here on out for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Think scholes might want to leave management for another while looking at this...

310683.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think Brazil will struggle if thats how they're going to open play in future matches. They looked a bit like United last year, no real plan and no real ideas from midfield. Relying on individual talent up front. Build up play looked very unconvincing.

I know its early days and they have a lot of pressure and they will probably get better but they certainly didn't set a marker last night, nobody will be afraid of them. I daresay had they met a somewhat in form Spain or Germany yesterday it wouldn't have been pretty. Those sides are the total opposites with their commanding midfields and they would have given Brazil the runaround.
    Brazil are not going to win the WC like that and going by what I saw yesterday I'm not sure where those extra gears required are supposed to come from.

On another note, which is even more important in my book, they are now tainted as cheats. To award that penalty is scandalous to begin with. I hope this was the refs last game in this WC. But to actually try it on like that (Fred) and then defending that action (Scolari) knocked practically all admiration I had for them out the window.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I always loved the Germany 2006 WC song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Pro. F wrote: »
    It took them a while to grow in confidence, but once they got going Croatia were entertaining. They do well to usually play nice football no matter what state they're in when the tournaments role around. It's a pity they'll probably face Spain in the first knock-out game, but they'll be good to watch for as long as they there.

I do agree with this, however I think they were very emotional going onto the pitch with the anthems etc. I think then they got suckered for the OG, which disrupted them further.
    It was a bit like they didnt have a proper cohesion or strategy, other than try to rely on turnovers high up the pitch.

The penalty call was ridiculous.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

The (justifiable) public anger in Brazil took some of the sparkle off this WC for me, but last night's match was a joke. I accept that home sides get the rub of the green, but this was on another level. What makes it worse is that the Brazil players know it. They know they can take a dive or leave the boot in and get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

gucci wrote: »
    I do agree with this, however I think they were very emotional going onto the pitch with the anthems etc. I think then they got suckered for the OG, which disrupted them further.
    It was a bit like they didnt have a proper cohesion or strategy, other than try to rely on turnovers high up the pitch.

The penalty call was ridiculous.

You do have to wonder if the weight of expectation will be too much for them as surely they cannot get such a soft ref for all of the games. The penalty was as you rightly say ridiculous but there was also a very strong call for Naymar not to even be on the pitch as the elbow in the face was quite deliberate. You could see him look to see where the Croatian player was before he planted his elbow there.

Whilst it was not the worst elbow to the face I have seen it was quite deliberate thus a straight red.

• The (justifiable) public anger in Brazil took some of the sparkle off this WC for me, but last night's match was a joke. I accept that home sides get the rub of the green, but this was on another level. What makes it worse is that the Brazil players know it. They know they can take a dive or leave the boot in and get away with it.

To the benefit of Luiz especially, god he's so awkwardly aggressive in the tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Was an entertaining game last night if nothing else, Croatia were robbed yes. Neymar should have been sent off , penalty was a scandal and the goal at the end should have stood Cesar missed the ball and fell over...

I said it about Brazil well before the tournament started , they are not good enough to win the world cup, very lucky last night and they will be turned over against a strong team...Fred is nowhere near at the level they need from a striker, Hulk was never and isn't anything more than a powerhouse, CM is good in defence but no creativity. Oscar and Neymar are their only hope but again not good enough to win it for them.

Bring on tonight!

Last night's decisions.

I don't know I can live with the goal not being given. Thats what the six yard box is for. The goalie gets protection in there.
    Now you could argue Olic went up fair and square no arms etc and Cesar kinda bottled it and thats true but 9 times out of 10 on the continent they will give a free out in such situations. Its just the PL where they are more leaning towards the attacker.

But there was what looked like a clear peno earlier for Olic.

The Neymar incident I wouldn't have given red either. It was borderline and on such an occasion and with the host nation's icon involved you just don't give red there but a very dark yellow with a stern warning.

But the Brazil peno doesn't really need talking about. Fred is a disgrace and the ref clearly let the occasion get to him. I'm sure he regrets it today.

klose wrote: »
    Think scholes might want to leave management for another while looking at this...

310683.jpg

Doesn't look that terrible to me?!?
    Very attacking minded fair enough but England can rely on a very strong back line and there's nothing too outrageous about it imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Having been given Croatia in the sweepstakes in work I arrived in this morning with a heavy heart as a great injustice was suffered onto my people.

Oh how I long for the day when video technology and restrospective action is brought in. Never a penalty to begin with, but both Fred and Neymar should be banned from the next match for the dive and elbow. Jesus, Neymar has such a smug punchable little face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Boskowski wrote: »
    Doesn't look that terrible to me?!?
    Very attacking minded fair enough but England can rely on a very strong back line and there's nothing too outrageous about it imho.

Having Barkley and Welbeck in front of Gerrard in a midfield trio is signing your own death warrant.

Needs Henderson there, and then perhaps you can put one of those two, although Welbeck is far more suited to one of the three attacking positions, and he shouldn't start ahead of Rooney, Sturridge, and Sterling, IMO.

Barkley probably shouldn't start ahead of Lallana, or even Ox if he's fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Last night's decisions.

I don't know I can live with the goal not being given. Thats what the six yard box is for. The goalie gets protection in there.
    Now you could argue Olic went up fair and square no arms etc and Cesar kinda bottled it and thats true but 9 times out of 10 on the continent they will give a free out in such situations. Its just the PL where they are more leaning towards the attacker.

But there was what looked like a clear peno earlier for Olic.

The Neymar incident I wouldn't have given red either. It was borderline and on such an occasion and with the host nation's icon involved you just don't give red there but a very dark yellow with a stern warning.

But the Brazil peno doesn't really need talking about. Fred is a disgrace and the ref clearly let the occasion get to him. I'm sure he regrets it today.

If he had not looked to see where his opponent was I would agree with you but he did and his action was quite deliberate for me that can only be a straight red. The occasion is immaterial if the referee is not capable of reffing such a high profile match then he should not be there.

But then it is FIFA who organised it so no major surprise there.

Knex. wrote: »
    Having Barkley and Welbeck in front of Gerrard in a midfield trio is signing your own death warrant.

Needs Henderson there, and then perhaps you can put one of those two, although Welbeck is far more suited to one of the three attacking positions, and he shouldn't start ahead of Rooney, Sturridge, and Sterling, IMO.

Barkley probably shouldn't start ahead of Lallana, or even Ox if he's fit.

Barkley and Wellbeck are the two one may argue about, but Barkley was strong in the last friendly and Wellbeck brings a bit of pace. I'd probably switch the forward positions a bit but I can't see the outrageousness seems a valid enough 11.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 MikeDiamond

What's the thoughts on the Mexico-Cameroon game

Maxieco 2-1 Cameroon

Hernandez with the two for Mexico. A convincing win for the Mexicans spurred on by the Croatian injustice... I mean loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Barkley and Wellbeck are the two one may argue about, but Barkley was strong in the last friendly and Wellbeck brings a bit of pace. I'd probably switch the forward positions a bit but I can't see the outrageousness seems a valid enough 11.

Gerrard only works as a DM when you provide the pressing and running elsewhere, higher up the pitch.

Even when Henderson missed the few games at the end of last season, Gerrard wasn't as effective, and that was still with the likes of Allen and Lucas there.

England can probably get away with playing that front three, and then either Lallana, Barkley, Ox, or perhaps Welbeck (although it goes back to why would you play him CAM), but only if they put Henderson in alongside Gerrard.

Not doing so would be fairly criminal, IMO.

Not bringing Barry still seems daft to me, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Maxieco 2-1 Cameroon

Hernandez with the two for Mexico. A convincing win for the Mexicans spurred on by the Croatian injustice... I mean loss.

Apparently Hernandez doesn't start tonight.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Apparently Hernandez doesn't start tonight.

...Mind games! It's all mind games!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Might be a draw I reckon! 1-1 if looking for a scorecast!

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

There can be no defending of Hamilton here, the man struggles to tell the difference between a corner and a throw in ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Gutted for the Croats last night. Shocking decision for both the penalty and disallowed goal. Fed up with the brazilians already - Luiz with his stupid handshakes. Scolari calling for yellow cards for the opposition, arguing EVERY call. Really hope Croatia go on to qualify from the group. Modric is world class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

Well now Iv'e cleared my head I think FIFA may have gotten in the refs ear.FIFA will want Brazil to not get knocked out early if they got knocked out early the protests would likely get much worse so that's why the golden boy was likely not sent off because I could have seen brazil really struggling and possibly have the top spot in doubt so even if they finished 2nd they would match Spain,who I believe would easily beat them.FIFA does not want this so Brazil have to the get the refs calls.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Enjoyed the game last night but the refereeing performance definitely took the gloss of it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Penalty was ridiculous but anyone who thinks that there was any chance Neymar would be sent off is having a laugh. Send the host countries iconic player off in the first 20 minutes? There would have been uproar, the ref would be lucky to get out alive.

I think it's best for all involved if Brazil progress as far as possible - I daresay the tournament relies on them getting to at least the quarter finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I think it's best for all involved if Brazil progress as far as possible - I daresay the tournament relies on them getting to at least the quarter finals.

If that's the case, and it's going to take favourable treatment to get them there, is there even any point to the tournament? If the referees keep acting like your man last night, the whole competition will become a pointless farce.

If that's the case, and it's going to take favourable treatment to get them there, is there even any point to the tournament? If the referees keep acting like your man last night, the whole competition will become a pointless farce.

I don't disagree with you. Croatia got shafted but I still expect them to get through. Brazil will be put in their place soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I don't disagree with you. Croatia got shafted but I still expect them to get through. Brazil will be put in their place soon enough.

No Brazil are going to grow into this tournament. Even on last night's showing I see them winning the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

It is a likely scenario that the World Cup will be ruined/tarnished by the performance of referees.

greendom wrote: »
    No Brazil are going to grow into this tournament. Even on last night's showing I see them winning the whole thing.

That would shock me to be honest in spite of the fact that I would be one of those who wants them to win it. Their country has suffered enough in the buildup and this would bring them some long overdue joy. Even still, they're gonna get over-run in midfield by the likes of Spain and Germany. I'm still not sure how the latter will cope with the weather conditions but Spain will beat Brazil, I also fancy Argentina to do a number on them as well if they have to.

Just can't see them winning it. They're too reliant on flair up front and a good, disciplined team will put and end to them. If it weren't for the rub of the green yesterday Croatia would have held them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

greendom wrote: »

Please.....Hulk,Fred,Dani Alves,Paulinho,Luiz all rubbish no way they are going to win.

If Croatia had a good winger in place of Ollic and Mandzukic upfront I reckon they would have done better Rakitic and Modric outplayed them the whole match.

Please.....Hulk,Fred,Dani Alves,Paulinho,Luiz all rubbish no way they are going to win.

Throw Cesar in to that lot as well. Woahful 'keeper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement