Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

306653.png

Brilliant work... thanks very much !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

can you throw in Flanagan?

Genuinely interested to see how he faired in comparison

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

klose wrote: »
    Looks like kyle walker isn't going either according to sky. Probably leaves johnson as their starting rb which is gas as hes been awful this year. Cant think of any other rbs so hodge probably has jones/smalling pencilled in to fill in at rb.

Johnson is much better than Walker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

redzerdrog wrote: »
    can you throw in Flanagan?

Genuinely interested to see how he faired in comparison

cefcf6239905b5e5ea2277a647124fa2.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is probably as close as a tribute thread for Ashley Cole as we'll get but he was such a great player. I don't think I saw a better fullback in my 15 years of watching football. His performances in their Champions League win will hopefully be fondly remembered. He obviously seems like a bit of a mong but a great player nonetheless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Johnson is much better than Walker.

Defensively, they are much of a muchness really. Walker's problem is that he gets caught forward so often.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This is probably as close as a tribute thread for Ashley Cole as we'll get but he was such a great player. I don't think I saw a better fullback in my 15 years of watching football. His performances in their Champions League win will hopefully be fondly remembered. He obviously seems like a bit of a mong but a great player nonetheless.

He was brilliant, and the best left back in the world for a long time and probably the best fullback in the premier league since it started, but a few other fullbacks who've played over the last 15 years have him bettered...

Cafu-001.jpg

Javier_Zanetti_78.jpg

1043227_display_image.jpg

2013_6_25_22_44.jpg

But of the currently playing fullbacks, himself and Philip Lahm have been the stand outs for a long, long time, and it's a pity A.C. has such a fall this year because I honestly thought he had a few more years at the top left in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

is it true Schweinsteiger (spelling?) got injured at the weekend? Heard it mentioned on BT Sport's European Soccer Show yesterday. Anyone know how serious it is.....if true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

kfallon wrote: »
    is it true Schweinsteiger (spelling?) got injured at the weekend? Heard it mentioned on BT Sport's European Soccer Show yesterday. Anyone know how serious it is.....if true?

Yes, he got injured at the weekend, but according to Bayern nothing too serious. Needs to sit out training for 2 or 3 days, and might not make the German Cup Final at the weekend. But WC is not in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

DubDani wrote: »
    Yes, he got injured at the weekend, but according to Bayern nothing too serious. Needs to sit out training for 2 or 3 days, and might not make the German Cup Final at the weekend. But WC is not in danger.

yeah i heard he will be back in no time. Germany need not worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Spains 30 man squad is up and a deserved call up for de gea.

Hard to pick the 7 who will be cut, id imagine a fair amount of the forwards will be.

306809.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Spain @7/1 is a big price, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

I'd leave out Torres, Carvajal,, Iturraspe, David Villa, Alberto Moreno, Cazorla, Thiago Alcantara

Isco not in the squad? :(

kfallon wrote: »
    Isco not in the squad? :(
    Only played 8 minutes of Qualifying. Not surprising really.

glued wrote: »
    Only played 8 minutes of Qualifying. Not surprising really.

Really amazing the strength and depth that the spanish have in particular in Midfield.

Would not be suprised to see Mata, Carzola and Villa cut from this squad. Torres will do well to make the cut as well.

Good descion to bring De gea. He wont play in world cup but good tournment experince for a keeper who may be spains number one in a few years and then may be there for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its a handy squad Belgium have but is it enough?

Bng8FBdCEAIwGGF.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I hadn't seen that Janazaj had declared for Belgium. Must have missed that.

It's a tasty looking squad but I think this is one tournament too soon. Will be interesting to see how they get on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

NIMAN wrote: »
    Weakest England squad at a WC ever?

I actually think the last squad for 2010 was significantly weaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Higuain for top scorer he was 20/1 last time I looked surely worth a bet.

mike65 wrote: »
    Its a handy squad Belgium have but is it enough?

Bng8FBdCEAIwGGF.jpg:large

Couple of big name players in the squad. Benteke is massive miss. Divock Origi i know little about? Think good starting 11 then it gets a little weaker. Would say they will be underachivers in this world cup but like them for the next euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Gringo180 wrote: »

You'd have to assume Aguero and Messi are going to weigh in with goals, Di Maria might get a couple if fit, there's goals throughout their top 4, not sure Higuain will get enough to top it.

Fred might be a bettter bet.

Gringo180 wrote: »

Prefer Aguero at 18's myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd leave out Torres, Carvajal,, Iturraspe, David Villa, Alberto Moreno, Cazorla, Thiago Alcantara

Seriously???

If fully fit he's one of the best central midfielders in the world imo. Top class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

callaway92 wrote: »
    Seriously???

If fully fit he's one of the best central midfielders in the world imo. Top class player.

He's not better than Xavi/Alonso/Fabregas/Iniesta/Busquets or arguably Koke. What's the point in bringing him?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Samir Nasri hasn't made the French squad. Has to be the most bizarre omission I've seen yet.

The French are always at something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Samir Nasri hasn't made the French squad. Has to be the most bizarre omission I've seen yet.

Crazy stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Seems to be down to player attitude rather than ability. Wouldn't blame Deschamps for leaving him out after WC 2010 and Euro 2012.

Full squad:

GK

Mickaël Landreau
    Hugo Lloris
    Steve Mandanda

Defence

Mathieu Debuchy
    Lucas Digne
    Patrice Evra
    Laurent Koscielny
    Eliaquim Mangala
    Bacary Sagna
    Mamadou Sakho
    Raphaël Varane

Midfield

Yohan Cabaye
    Clément Grenier
    Blaise Matuidi
    Rio Mavuba
    Paul Pogba
    Moussa Sissoko
    Mathieu Valbuena

Attackers

Karim Benzema
    Olivier Giroud
    Antoine Griezmann
    Loïc Rémy
    Franck Ribéry

Stand by:

Rémy Cabella
    Maxime Gonalons
    Alexandre Lacazette
    Loïc Perrin
    Stéphane Ruffier
    Morgan Schneiderlin
    Benoît Tremoulinas

Has not featured for awhile. Had one game against Ukraine where he was dreadful and manager and media questioned his attitude so just not wanted in French squad.

Good player and hard to believe noThing has been done to fix the problem but sometimes you need to do the best for the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Seems to be down to player attitude rather than ability. Wouldn't blame Deschamps for leaving him out after WC 2010 and Euro 2012.

Nail on the head there I'd say.

Deschamps: "I've chosen the best squad, not necessarily the best 23 players."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Falcao named in Columbia squad, fantastic.

Can't possibly be a better 4 centre halves than that French team, all superb players.

Can't possibly be a better 4 centre halves than that French team, all superb players.

Really? Wouldn't call Sakho a superb player. Mangala and Varane should be the two to start but you never know.

Think Spain have the best defence if they play: Azpilicueta, Pique, Ramos and Jordi Alba

Really? Wouldn't call Sakho a superb player. Mangala and Varane should be the two to start but you never know.

Think Spain have the best defence if they play: Azpilicueta, Pique, Ramos and Jordi Alba

He was superb for PSG, I wouldn't judge him off one season here. Not that he's been bad for Liverpool myself. I'd go for Kos-Varane myself, but I'm biased.

As for Spain, they're alright there. Not a fan of Pique, and Ramos has a red card in him every time he plays. Azpilicueta is great tbf, but Alba is more a winger playing at LB.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Does anybody else like the look of Muller as top scorer? Along with Germany to win the competition it's 66/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Koscielney will be first choice centre back hes one of the best defenders in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Germany are playing Poland right now and Draxler is captaining the team bit unusual that. Obviously no Bayern ,Bvb ,Arsenal , Real Madrid or any other teams with games left playing tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I have them at 50s to concede the least goals in the tournament. Weird market, but basically was looking for a team that will defend well but likely go out early enough, so France seemed perfect. Market taken down now. Likely p45 for the imbecile that stuck France in at 50s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Looking at French squad there,Patrice Evra a lucky man to make it,considering his form this season and his past form for causing hassle at last Euros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I have them at 50s to concede the least goals in the tournament. Weird market, but basically was looking for a team that will defend well but likely go out early enough, so France seemed perfect. Market taken down now. Likely p45 for the imbecile that stuck France in at 50s

You can say goodbye to that if Evra plays :p

He was superb for PSG, I wouldn't judge him off one season here. Not that he's been bad for Liverpool myself. I'd go for Kos-Varane myself, but I'm biased.

As for Spain, they're alright there. Not a fan of Pique, and Ramos has a red card in him every time he plays. Azpilicueta is great tbf, but Alba is more a winger playing at LB.

They tried to get rid of him in 2012 and he played okay in 2013 but he certainly wasn't superb. Leonardo wanted to get rid of him since his performances in 2012. He got back into the team in his final season when Alex got injured around Christmas IIRC. A lot of the hype surrounding Sakho comes from his performances for les Bleuets. In saying that he has played well for France (seniors) since being dropped by Blanc and recalled by Deschamps.

I think Mangala and Varane have the biggest potential. Varane being one of the best defensive talents in the game right now. Mangala has been great and poor for France but he's another player who needs to take his chance before Kurt Zouma starts getting into the team. Kos is the most consistent of the bunch but again he's not been spectacular in qualifying and he was a ready made scapegoat for France's exit had they not qualified due to his stupidity against Ukraine.

Sakho gets a pass as he's obviously a good talent and has had problems with his thigh for some period.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

That'd leave them extremely light on full backs.

Looking at French squad there,Patrice Evra a lucky man to make it,considering his form this season and his past form for causing hassle at last Euros.

Really now? Who do you suggest replaces him? Clichy has been a disaster for France and Evra is a massive leader in the squad despite the mutiny in Knysna. He was guaranteed to be on that plane.

You're basically suggesting that France leave their starting left back at home. You do realise that he played every minute of every game for France in the qualifiers.

Of course you didn't realise that.

That'd leave them extremely light on full backs.

They don't tend to carry many defenders, never mind full backs! They brought 3 fullbacks to the Euros and basically two 'full time' full backs to the World Cup although they did have Puyol and Ramos then who could both play full back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Just seen the Italy team there Quite impressed with even if 7 players have to cut from it. I see 3 Forwards cut at lest but its hard to say who as they all have very good forum this season in Italy.

Goalkeepers:
    Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus), Salvatore Sirigu (Paris Saint-Germain), Mattia Perin (Genoa)

Defenders:
    Andrea Barzagli (Juventus), Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus), Giorigo Chiellini (Juventus), Gabriel Paletta (Parma), Andrea Ranocchia (Internazionale), Ignazio Abate (Milan), Mattia De Sciglio (Milan), Christian Maggio (Napoli), Matteo Darmian (Torino), Manuel Pasqual (Fiorentina)

Midfielders:
    Andrea Pirlo (Juventus), Claudio Marchisio (Juventus), Thiago Motta (Paris Saint-Germain), Marco Verratti (Paris Saint-Germain), Riccardo Montolivo (Milan), Daniele De Rossi (Roma), Antonio Candreva (Lazio), Marco Parolo (Parma), Alberto Aquilani (Fiorentina), Romulo (Verona)

Forwards:
    Mario Balotelli (Milan), Antonio Cassano (Parma), Alessio Cerci (Torino), Ciro Immobile (Torino), Giuseppe Rossi (Fiorentina), Mattia Destro (Roma), Lorenzo Insigne (Napoli)

Andrea Ranocchia, Matteo Darmian, Alberto Aquilani, Rômulo, Marco Parolo, Antonio Cassano, Lorenzo Insigne, Mattia Destro, Antonio Candreva, Manuel Pasqual.

Whatever 7 from the Italian list who don't make it on the plane will be from that group.

Absolutely shocked that Criscito isn't in the squad.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Andrea Ranocchia, Matteo Darmian, Alberto Aquilani, Rômulo, Marco Parolo, Antonio Cassano, Lorenzo Insigne, Mattia Destro, Antonio Candreva, Manuel Pasqual.

Whatever 7 from the Italian list who don't make it on the plane will be from that group.

A vote on CDS shows that 21% of readers want Chiellini out and 12% want Balotelli out of the squad for the WC.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/Sondaggi/Risultati/Calcio/3317/Ecco+la+lista+dei+31+preconvocati+da+Prandelli+per+il+Mondiale.+In+Brasile+andranno+in+23.+Chi+lasce?sv=true

Although all Italian papers are junk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Seaneh wrote: »

Absolutely shocked that Criscito isn't in the squad.

I see Candreva going anyway as like they kind of need a winger in the team

Shocked that Criscito didnt make the team as i would have put him down as the starting left back for Italy :confused:

But never mind the Italian media about Chiellini as he's Italy's best centre back and they miss him when he plays.

I am just trying to what way are they going to be playing ?. As Prandelli can play them in some odd ways at times

• Advertisement

A vote on CDS shows that 21% of readers want Chiellini out and 12% want Balotelli out of the squad for the WC.

http://www.corrieredellosport.it/Sondaggi/Risultati/Calcio/3317/Ecco+la+lista+dei+31+preconvocati+da+Prandelli+per+il+Mondiale.+In+Brasile+andranno+in+23.+Chi+lasce?sv=true

Although all Italian papers are junk

Not going to happen on either front.

Advertisement