Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• I have to say, the Soccer forum makes the World Cup so much better, glad to be part of it.

Even if Ireland are not in it :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

5pm, 8pm, 11pm are the kick off times at the moment for the rest of the group games, think there is a 2am one on later tonight.

Think it's tomorrow night that game is on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Not too much talk about the poor decisions in today's games. People being a bit quick to criticise Brazil fair enough if they get dodgy decisions in a couple of games . Granted it was never a pen last night but it's a bit early for the conspiracy theories.

• Not too much talk about the poor decisions in today's games. People being a bit quick to criticise Brazil fair enough if they get dodgy decisions in a couple of games . Granted it was never a pen last night but it's a bit early for the conspiracy theories.

There was loads of us discussing on the match thread today. Another awful penalty decision.

And RVP's tackle on the keeper was questionable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Simon201 wrote: »
    Just watching that match there. What is the 'distance' thing that is shown on the bottom of the screen when a player comes off? Is it like the distance he's run during the match or something? Does that mean every player has some kind of GPS device in their kit?

Its calculated by a set of 16 cameras up on the roof than cover different sections of the pitch and the data is fed into a computer that maps it all together.
    They used to calculate all the stuff manually which was tedious but I guess they have image recognition software now that can calculates the distances and no of passes automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Good start to this world cup, no rubbish games as of yet. Apart from the odd official clanger ( ref in the Brazil game and linesman in the Mexico game) the games have flowed perfectly. Spain/Holland was a great match, Brazil/Croatia was great up until the ref went loco, Mexico/Cameroon was one sided but still entertaining and Chile/Australia wasn't as bad as I thought it be. Here's hoping tomorrow brings on some more great matches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Right lads, I'm heading to the pub in about 20 minutes.

Been waiting for this day for four years, since our humbling by Germany. Could have asked for an easier match definitely but it's the World Cup. These days don't come around very often so you've got to enjoy them when they do.

Come on England!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Beefy78 wrote: »

Been waiting for this day for four years, since our humbling by Germany. Could have asked for an easier match definitely but it's the World Cup. These days don't come around very often so you've got to enjoy them when they do.

Come on England!

Looks at clock....I prefer my football sober!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Come on England!

You do realise kick off is at 11pm and not 11am? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

You do realise kick off is at 11pm and not 11am? :pac:

Can't beat a good 12 hour build up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Not sure if this has been asked or not. Is there anywhere online with highlights of all the matches so far??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Beefy be out, drunk, home, awake and hungover by the time England kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Come on England!

Checks time of post ................ checks time of Kick Off .... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

ShaneU wrote: »
    This "Mexican" player is definitely Irish, you're not fooling anyone Michael Lyons

10410399_10152243460478458_5102883528195409600_n.jpg

I have about 5 swaps of this guy.
    Do you also find for some inexplicable reason some players come out of every second bag or so? For me its this guy and some Aussie lad whose name I can't quite remember (the stack is in the office).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

For those who cant wait till 5, Germany V The Allies in escape to victory is kicking off on more 4 now. I fancy the Germans to win easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Come on England!

Fair play to ya!! The first match is the only one where the blind optimism is still there. After a humbling by Italy and the spectre of a decent Uraguay team coming up, it's all downhill!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

England preview on BBC now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,473 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Good goal from the Allies there just before halftime. The comeback is on :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Good goal from the Allies there just before halftime. The comeback is on :pac:

Paddy Power are offering 5/1 on Stallone to be sent off. I'm tempted.

• Advertisement

Linekar asking Juninho do the Brazillians see England as contenders! Wish he would just be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

They're obsessed with that. I don't know the thrill they get out of it though.
    Sure deep down they know themselves they have as good a chance as any other team from lets call it the mid-table section. But they love to hear they're up there with the big ones just to be disappoint then 2 weeks later when they get confirmation on what they knew all along. They're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

The passionate support for the South American teams has been a stand out feature of the World Cup thus far,has made for a super charged atmosphere at their respective games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Goal fest so far in this world cup

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Lads which teams have been grouped together the most often in the World Cup? I seem to remember Argentina and Nigeria being in the same group in USA 94 is that right?

Buffon out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Neeson wrote: »
    Buffon out.

No real loss, Sirigu is better now anyway IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Buffon out.

Sirigu is quality, I don't think it will make much of a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,316 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Linekar asking Juninho do the Brazillians see England as contenders! Wish he would just be honest.

They havent a clue.
    Shearer tipped Rooney to be top scorer in the tournament :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One positive note: those advertising screens around the pitch seem to be much less distracting than in previous years. Not as bright, more like non-electronic billboards. If there has to be advertising, it shouldn't distract the players (which I'm sure it does) to different degrees.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

They havent a clue.
    Shearer tipped Rooney to be top scorer in the tournament :rolleyes:

You can see why many want England to flop in every tournament. They think they are up there with the favourites and if anyone doesn't buy it they must be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Looper007 wrote: »
    You can see why many want England to flop in every tournament. They think they are up there with the favourites and if anyone doesn't buy it they must be wrong.

To be honest that's complete nonsense.

The obsession the Irish have with the English/British drives me nuts. An English presenter dared to ask a foreign guest where he rates England, the arrogance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

String wrote: »
    Sirigu is quality, I don't think it will make much of a difference

Buffon is a massive presence with the defence though. Sirigu is indeed good but I think as a unit it will be weaker in that sense.

Tox56 wrote: »
    To be honest that's complete nonsense.

The obsession the Irish have with the English/British drives me nuts. An English presenter dared to ask a foreign guest where he rates England, the arrogance!

I'm sure the foreigner was told what to say. Same way Linekar couldn't tell Juninho Brazil were fortunate.

You know RTE would be more honest.

Last night ITV finished with a montage of England. I know it's their channel but I don't think RTE would spend a big chunk of each broadcast going on about the irish team before the day.

Sure give it a mention but not drip feeding bits in every now and then like the bbc itv. Focus on the current games a bit. Deal with our match when it time.

I'm sure the foreigner was told what to say. Same way Linekar couldn't tell Juninho Brazil were fortunate.

You know RTE would be more honest.

The guy said he didn't see England up there with the top contenders Germany, Argentina etc. but they had potential to make it far in the tournament. How many people can genuinely take issue with that

Tox56 wrote: »
    The guy said he didn't see England up there with the top contenders Germany, Argentina etc. but they had potential to make it far in the tournament. How many people can genuinely take issue with that

I take issue with the idea they'll get far. They'll do extremely well to get to the 1/4's

I take issue with the idea they'll get far. They'll do extremely well to get to the 1/4's

Somehow I'm not surprised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Guardian saying Sterling to start behind Sturridge with Rooney out wide.

Anyone think there's a few too many WC threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Guardian saying Sterling to start behind Sturridge with Rooney out wide.

Anyone think there's a few too many WC threads?

Yup this one was plenty enough along with the individual match threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

I was thinking of starting a thread in regards to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

The threads are fine maybe do away with the group threads but nobody seems to be posting in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah, the group threads are fairly pointless when we have the match threads. They were only really there so that widget thingy had something to link to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The threads are fine maybe do away with the group threads but nobody seems to be posting in them.

You might be right in fairness. I like that they get you information like fixtures, squads, times, channels and odds quickly, but they're not much good for posting in.

Edit: Meh, maybe when more than a couple of games have been played they might get a bit more use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Apparently Germany are to play Lahm in midfield and play 4 cbs in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Apparently Germany are to play Lahm in midfield and play 4 cbs in defence.

This could deserve a thread of it's own :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you know this wc suits england down to a tee

as no one expects them to win it might ease the pressure on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

fryup wrote: »
    you know this wc suits england down to a tee

as no one expects them to win it might ease the pressure on them

That'll all change should they win tonight though. World Champions elect and the pressure will be notched up to 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

Not even halfway through the third day and already it's been a great World Cup. I remember when the opening games were all 0-0 draws.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Well this has put the cat amongst the pigeons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Fair play to Costa Rica, they're basically Ireland in football terms, so it's hard not to be pleased for them.

Advertisement