Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭Reventon93

Haven't heard much about the Germany - Portugal match. Surprising, seeing as I think it's probably going to be as good as Spain - Netherlands in terms of player quality. Also looking forward to seeing how Ghana do against the US, especially as the other Boateng brother will likely make an appearence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

Should be a cracker, I fancy Portugal to pull a bit of a shock result off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Reventon93 wrote: »
    Haven't heard much about the Germany - Portugal match. Surprising, seeing as I think it's probably going to be as good as Spain - Netherlands in terms of player quality. Also looking forward to seeing how Ghana do against the US, especially as the other Boateng brother will likely make an appearence

He only came out of retirement for them for their play off :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hoping to see a 6-5 screamer with hat-tricks from Ronaldo and Nani. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

What really blows my mind about the opening game is that the Japanese ref didn't speak any English

How can you competently officiate a game if you can't communicate with the players?

and before anyone says it, I refuse to believe that he speaks both Portugese AND Croatian :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He only came out of retirement for them for their play off :pac:.

Well sh*t :o

Still though, I'm hoping Dempsey will get a goal :D

I was thinking a draw for the Germany - Portugal match. I think the squads are going to be evenly matched. looking forward to it. I'd like Germany to win though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

x43r0 wrote: »
    What really blows my mind about the opening game is that the Japanese ref didn't speak any English

How can you competently officiate a game if you can't communicate with the players?

and before anyone says it, I refuse to believe that he speaks both Portugese AND Croatian :p

It's going to be very tough to find enough multi-lingual refs to cover all the languages involved. don't have a problem with that at all.

• Advertisement

And i'd say that there'd be a good number of ref's with German, English, Portuguese and Spanish along with some Asian languages. Depending on where certain players play during the season, it's possible that at least one player would understand the ref or at least the linesmen

Well sh*t :o

Still though, I'm hoping Dempsey will get a goal :D

I was thinking a draw for the Germany - Portugal match. I think the squads are going to be evenly matched. looking forward to it. I'd like Germany to win though :pac:

No he's in the squad. I just found it funny that he only decided to come out of retirement when it looked they were getting to the World Cup.

We can never hear the ref speaking as spectators, but it's still always pretty clear what he's saying! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

David Bentley wasn't long getting a job after his retirement last week,see him on SSN this morning on the World Cup verdict.

And i'd say that there'd be a good number of ref's with German, English, Portuguese and Spanish along with some Asian languages. Depending on where certain players play during the season, it's possible that at least one player would understand the ref or at least the linesmen

It's possible, but I don't think special arrangements should be made to ensure the ref speaks the language of the players. The whistle, gesticualation and body language in general, not to mention the colour of the card should be enough.

greendom wrote: »
    It's possible, but I don't think special arrangements should be made to ensure the ref speaks the language of the players. The whistle, gesticualation and body language in general, not to mention the colour of the card should be enough.

Agreed. I'm sure even if there was a total language barrier, like you said, hand movements and gestures mean the same in ever language, as far as i know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Good point :pac:

All I'm trying to say is, it's hardly been awful. Ref was brilliant in England v Italy last night, the only really poor one for me has been Brazil/Croatia. There's a contentious decision every game in the Premier League too.

Well said. That penalty Fred won was a disgrace but I'd say I've seen 50 penalties given in club football this year alone which were equally disgraceful.

Football is not and never has been a fair game. Half of its popularity comes from the fact that it gets people angry.

I think that the ref was spot on in the Mexico - Cameroon match as well. He gave fair free kicks, made great calls and it was a decent game to watch because of it. Just wish Cameroon were that bit better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

greendom wrote: »
    It's going to be very tough to find enough multi-lingual refs to cover all the languages involved. don't have a problem with that at all.

English should be a minimum requirement though for officials as it's one of FIFA's four official languages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

English should be a minimum requirement though for officials as it's one of FIFA's four official languages
    Why English?

Surely, if anything, the requirement should be for one of its 4 official languages. Anything else would have jingoistic overtones.

Even then I'd struggle with such a ruling.

• Advertisement

Why English?

Because it's the international lingua franca?

Because it's the international lingua franca?

that's just one step away from expecting all international players to be able to speak English so they can understand the ref. don't see the value in going down that road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1 shaw_30

None of the big countries have played well at the moment apart from France they are the only big country that looked like they deserved to win

what does anybody else think?

It's wide open for The Iron Tulip and his merry band of Dutchmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭tyrion1234

shaw_30 wrote: »
    None of the big countries have played well at the moment apart from France they are the only big country that looked like they deserved to win

I think the Netherlands and Italy were very impressive.

It always seems to happen that any team that sets off like a train peters out/flies off the rails by the end of the group stages. Bad news for Holland imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

You've forgotten about Netherlands, surprisingly considering their win!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

beno619 wrote: »
    Should be a cracker, I fancy Portugal to pull a bit of a shock result off.

Strong fancy for the Germans myself,no better tournament team.Sum of their parts greater than even Ronaldo and co's individual brilliance.Write the Germans off at your peril.Should be a cracker,can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

seligehgit wrote: »
    Strong fancy for the Germans myself,no better tournament team.Sum of their parts greater than even Ronaldo and co's individual brilliance.Write the Germans off at your peril.Should be a cracker,can't wait.
    People have been saying this about the Germans since that disastrous Rudi Voller performance at the 2004 Euros.

They've come close but when they had to push on just a bit more, against Italy in the 2006 semi and the 2012 one, Spain in the 2008 final and the 2010 semi, they didn't have enough. I like Low and Germany have a great side but it's time to **** or get off the pot and win a major tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Would love to see Germany win it. Theyve been brilliant for football the last ten years or so. Great team to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

If Holland hammering the reigning champions and putting 5 past a team that hasnt conceded at a major finals for like 10 games doesnt impress you I dont know what will!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

What a pleasant man Joe Hart is :rolleyes: I can understand him wanting to get on with the game quickly, but is there really any need to be screaming that sort of stuff at a ball boy who probably looks up to these footballers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Paully D wrote: »
    What a pleasant man Joe Hart is :rolleyes: I can understand him wanting to get on with the game quickly, but is there really any need to be screaming that sort of stuff at a ball boy who probably looks up to these footballers?

At least he didn't try kicking the ballboy to get the ball back ;):pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I've done it before. You're wound up, losing, and want the ****ing ball!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

They wouldn't have understood him anyway, so there hearts weren't broken. Plus who wants to be Joe Hart :pac:

My favourites are up today Germany, fancy them to go the whole way this year.

is Reus fit or he's out of the World cup?

Looper007 wrote: »

He's out for 3 months .

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He's out for 3 months .

That's a pity but they have enough in their squad to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

You fancy a team to go the whole way without even knowing if arguably their best player is available for the tournament? I hope you don't gamble to often.

• Advertisement

You fancy a team to go the whole way without even knowing if arguably their best player is available for the tournament? I hope you don't gamble to often.

I'm always right ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Is Pirlo better than Xavi ever was?

If anything I think Pirlo's contributions have improved with age whereas Xavi's haven't.

A lot of people reckon one of the reasons for Barca's and Spain's declining dominance is the fact the midfielders are getting on.
    Xavi and Iniesta have played some amount of football over the last 6/7 years.

IMHO Xavi does not stand out as much as he has been part of a very talented midfield where there is large amount of short intricate passing.

Pirlo on the other hand appears to be singular stand out and the go to man who can move it short or often spray the ball distance.

I would say Xavi's workrate tracking would have been a lot more impressive than Prilo's.

He didn't speak either nor English or Spanish (fair few of the players based in England or Spain at some stage).
    Makes the mind boggle what the players made of him when he gave out.

I am not allowed discuss …

Excellent start by the Germans.

Usual bout of madness from Pepe,Muller did make a bit of a meal of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Plus who wants to be Joe Hart :pac:

Think how free of dandruff your hair would be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Anyone like Pizza?

Dominos have a World Cup app. They give money off vouchers to the first thousand people who click a button on it after each goal. But it doesn't seem like anyone is using it as I just claimed Mueller's hat-trick goal half an hour after he scored it to claim a €20-off voucher.

I was going on a diet tomorrow too...

• Advertisement

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Anyone like Pizza?

Dominos have a World Cup app. They give money off vouchers to the first thousand people who click a button on it after each goal. But it doesn't seem like anyone is using it as I just claimed Mueller's hat-trick goal half an hour after he scored it to claim a €20-off voucher.

I was going on a diet tomorrow too...

Hah, thanks for the tip. Just got vouchers for all 4 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,796 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Where's the app? Can't find it

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Where's the app? Can't find it

It's called Domigoals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

On the way back from the Honduras game I think. Football Manager fans will find this pretty cool.

dea64ae1d67b68b1358f26e055a86322.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

So what's with all the goals? Another sinister FIFA directive?

• Advertisement
Advertisement