Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Ardillaun wrote: »
    So what's with all the goals? Another sinister FIFA directive?

Does this add any value to the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

If bands were banned why are they playing. There was one in another games as well. Cameroon I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

miralize wrote: »
    Does this add any value to the thread?

Well now, the average number of goals per game is, so far, much greater in this World Cup than in the last. I think that is a matter worthy of discussion in a thread about the World Cup. Is it a statistical blip or do ye think it will be sustained? Why are teams less conservative this time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 GinoS

Could very well be. Maybe this time around players get goal-bonuses too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Can anyone explain why Brazil and Mexico will have played two matches before Russia and South Korea have played one? Horrible TV scheduling from a Russian point of view with their game starting at 2am in Moscow, maybe I little more favorable for Korean viewing.

P.S On the PEPE incident....couldnt have happened to a nicer fella.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Well now, the average number of goals per game is, so far, much greater in this World Cup than in the last. I think that is a matter worthy of discussion in a thread about the World Cup. Is it a statistical blip or do ye think it will be sustained? Why are teams less conservative this time?

It's an interesting point. In the past big teams would often pace themselves in the Group Stages, instead we have Holland putting 5 past Spain and Germany putting 4 past Portugal. Italy in the past were famous for pacing themselves in the early stages. They beat England the other night, in previous tournaments they may have been happy to draw that, take the point and move on. That strategy did bite them in the ass though at times, so maybe they learned the lesson. Brazil and Argentina have been pacing themselves so far perhaps. Good to see plenty of goals, hopefully they can all keep it up throughout the tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Can anyone explain why Brazil and Mexico will have played two matches before Russia and South Korea have played one? Horrible TV scheduling from a Russian point of view with their game starting at 2am in Moscow, maybe I little more favorable for Korean viewing.

P.S On the PEPE incident....couldnt have happened to a nicer fella.

I suspect they didn't want the hosts' match to be kicking off at midnight in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Lennonist wrote: »
    It's an interesting point. In the past big teams would often pace themselves in the Group Stages, instead we have Holland putting 5 past Spain and Germany putting 4 past Portugal. Italy in the past were famous for pacing themselves in the early stages. They beat England the other night, in previous tournaments they may have been happy to draw that, take the point and move on. That strategy did bite them in the ass though at times, so maybe they learned the lesson. Brazil and Argentina have been pacing themselves so far perhaps. Good to see plenty of goals, hopefully they can all keep it up throughout the tournament.

Germany and the Netherlands always obliterate teams when given the chance. I was kinda disappointed with Germany in the second half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

It's an interesting point. In the past big teams would often pace themselves in the Group Stages, instead we have Holland putting 5 past Spain and Germany putting 4 past Portugal.
    Germany did pace themselves yesterday, they had it won at half time and it showed in the second half, they completely took their foot off the gas! You dont win the tournament in the group stages, but you could sure as hell compromise your risk of winning it if Germany were to go their usual 100mph 90 minute gun ho in that heat with the travel involved. Its been well documented that Germany, have possibly the worst conditions for matches. From bbc and I have read it in other papers... The Germans as ever, will be meticulous in their preparation and strategy!
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27187741

Argentina were the big winners of the draw, and not because they line up in their group matches against Bosnia, Iran and Nigeria - but because they will play the entire tournament without once having to confront the heat of the north east.
    At the other end of the scale are Germany. Not only are Portugal, Ghana and USA tricky group opponents but the Germans have 13:00 kick-offs in Salvador and Recife either side of a 16:00 start in Fortaleza.
    Even if, as predicted, they make it through safely to the knock-out round, they will surely have paid a price for such prolonged exposure to the conditions. Their athletic capacity will have been drained.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

This time 3 years ago Morgan Schneiderlin and Adam Lallana had just finished their second season of League One football with Southampton and now they're at the world cup with France and England. I'd say they can barely believe it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭FifaPlaya

mike65 wrote: »
    Still no draws! Still averaging over 2.5 goals per game. Its great.

Nigeria vs Iran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

FifaPlaya wrote: »
    Nigeria vs Iran

Who?

No no. That game didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Maxi Pereira has only been suspended for 1 game, That's very strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Spain are ready for the remontada ...

They will win it for sure..

I don't think Didi drew the short straw. Eamon forced him to take the Algeria team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Wish Keano was on the utv panel, bland is an understatement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Apparently Spain are set to ring the changes.

Koke, Martinez, Pedro and Fabregas in for Xavi, Pique, Silva and Costa.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup-2014/spain-world-cup-stars-set-3711376

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I think Spain need to play Villa. More potent than Torres and seems more suited to the style of play than Costa. They need a couple of goals and get a win, playing a false number nine might do them more harm than good this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The opening round of games threw up some stellar matches but I think this week's matches are going to be a bit weaker.

Spain Chile, Uruguay England and USA Portugal are probably the pick of the bunch.

• Advertisement

It's rash to claim to see trends this early, so here goes:

1. Tika-taka RIP? Have recent events discredited this style? Why are more teams not doing it or have they just incorporated some of it in a way I can't see? Given Germany's frightening form again this time, I think any coach should be reflecting on the match against Spain four years ago that put a stop to their gallop.

2. Goals from direct free kicks. Where are they?

3. Let's get physical. I feel I'm almost watching the Premiership, such is the restraint of the refs whistle-wise in the face of contact. Good thing too.

4. Crosses. Are they better this time e.g. Ghana, Netherlands, or is this some sort of anti-nostalgia?

Now it's the most goals at this stage since 1958 in Sweden.

Missed the first 2 days more or less but what I've seen has been fun and a few good results. The results so far actually should make the next round of matches more exciting that expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

1. Tika-taka RIP? Have recent events discredited this style? Why are more teams not doing it or have they just incorporated some of it in a way I can't see? Given Germany's frightening form again this time, I think any coach should be reflecting on the match against Spain four years ago that put a stop to their gallop.

I don't think Tika-taka is dead, it's just been so dominant for so long that people were bound to figure out a counter to it eventually. I'm thinking we could see a Tika-taka V2 and we've got to remember that the Tika-taka style of play wills till beat 90% of teams with ease.
    It's the ball, Joe, the ball. Ah jaysis. In all seriousness though, Pirlo came pretty damn close. Perhaps also the increase in pjhysicality means less on-goal free kick attempts.
    3. Let's get physical. I feel I'm almost watching the Premiership, such is the restraint of the refs whistle-wise in the face of contact. Good thing too.
    Brazil v Mexico was a great display of physicality although it became very stop-start. I'm all for tackles, but yellow cards need to be shown when it's starting to really effect the game's smoothness. :cool:
    4. Crosses. Are they better this time e.g. Ghana, Netherlands, or is this some sort of anti-nostalgia?

Nostalgia methinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Lots of rumours that Ronaldo is out for the rest of the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Lots of rumours that Ronaldo is out for the rest of the tournament.

Ego couldnt handle not being able to peak at the World Cup :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For those who didn't see it Australia v Nederland was the best game at the world cup since France played West Germany 1982 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Unsung Hero

Cracking tournament this year. Lots of goals and attacking football.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Bento just answered in English a couple of questions about Ronaldo, but I couldn't fully make out what he was exactly said due to the Spanish translator (some Spanish channel) speaking over him :pac:

From earlier -

BqbZi54IYAAZoE7.jpg

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BREAKING: "If Cristiano Ronaldo plays in this World Cup, the injury could end his career." - Portugal's doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Nuri Sahin wrote: »

They'll just have to play him in goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Seriously just how good are Chile, very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Agree with the above, tiki taka has been on the wan for a few years in truth. The new wave is quick transitions, counter attacking and taking more risks for the rewards.

I really like that FIFA seem to have issued guidelines to allow more tackling.

• Lovely Spain out, Argentina each way looking like a tasty bet, even if they got of to a win / poor performance.

In the words of Conner McGregor

50gs BABY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Some serious amount of world class goals so far, for me Cahill or Robbens the best, but a great selection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

Tonight has to be one of the most biggest upsets in World Cup history. I don't think anyone could have seen this coming and i think the tournament will be a lot poorer for it - Ossie Ardiles has finished with RTE :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Tonight has to be one of the most biggest upsets in World Cup history. I don't think anyone could have seen this coming and i think the tournament will be a lot poorer for it - Ossie Ardiles has finished with RTE :(
    How do you know this for sure??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lads did FIFA ban music instruments in the stadiums at the WC ? I seem to remember the Dutch always had trumpeters and drummers playing away at Euro 2012 but nothing at the WC ? I didn't even hear any samba drumming at Braxils game so guessing FIFA had a hissy fit on fans adding to the atmosphere ? So e of the crowds feel very dead IMO.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Lads did FIFA ban music instruments in the stadiums at the WC ? I seem to remember the Dutch always had trumpeters and drummers playing away at Euro 2012 but nothing at the WC ? I didn't even hear any samba drumming at Braxils game so guessing FIFA had a hissy fit on fans adding to the atmosphere ? So e of the crowds feel very dead IMO.

I think they did. That's why you won't hear the fat English band pump out the great escape tomorrow night. Although you do hear some of the Africans playing stuff so some must be sneaking in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

For those who didn't see it Australia v Nederland was the best game at the world cup since France played West Germany 1982 ;)

Italy v Germany semi-final in 06 > *

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Lovely Spain out, Argentina each way looking like a tasty bet, even if they got of to a win / poor performance.

In the words of Conner McGregor

50gs BABY!

Hate to be a dick.............but it was 60 g's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Can't get enough of this guy.

1288703737990.jpg

He looks exactly how I felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Looking for match streams, full downloads of games etc is not allowed and neither is the providing of links to facilitate any requests of such.

Multiple warnings have been put in this forum, even the threat of yellow cards was made and obviously ignored, so no leniency will be shown from here in. Anyone who wishes to ignore the warning gets a straight red card and the one month ban that currently comes with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Apparently Ian Wright had to fly home because his family were held at knife point.
    Jaysus.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2662262/Ian-Wright-flies-home-Brazil-family-burgled-knifepoint-home.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Agree with the above, tiki taka has been on the wan for a few years in truth. The new wave is quick transitions, counter attacking and taking more risks for the rewards.

I really like that FIFA seem to have issued guidelines to allow more tackling.

I think you can tiki taka all you want. Without Xavi and Iniesta fit it's pointless IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Neeson wrote: »
    I think they did. That's why you won't hear the fat English band pump out the great escape tomorrow night. Although you do hear some of the Africans playing stuff so some must be sneaking in.

Yeah there has been a noticeable lack of music at the games. I always thought the bands who went to the games really added to the atmosphere. Also the English trumpeters who are often at their games were actually excellent at starting off chants by the English fans when at Wembley. It's even more important to have them at World Cups as the fans can be fragmented inside stadiums, the bands get the fans singing no matter where they are.

Some of the games have felt very flat in the crowds. I watched the Russia Korea game the other night and you could nearly hear a pin drop in the stadium it was that quiet. If FIFA allowed the local samba drummers into the stadiums at least that would add a bit of atmosphere and life to help cover over the dull games.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Muahahaha wrote: »

I was at USA Ghana and the Ghana fans had drummers and we're non stop during the game. The USA fans about 20000 of them were class as well. It was as good an atmosphere as I've ever witnessed not sure how it came across on the TV. I'd imagine any games involving s American teams will be unreal as the ones I've come across are crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D

I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D

Apart from Iran/Nigeria game which was a Stinker. The games have range from the ok to the brilliant ( Holland vs Spain/Australia, Italy/England). Best I've seen since I start watching it from 1990 onwards. We are getting goals and plenty of them plus the big players are turning up and performing apart from Spain of course.

Advertisement