Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

To be fair to Boateng, Ghana wouldn't be in the competition only for him.

Would love to know what went on. The two were always close friends at Milan, but both are very temperamental.

EDIT: This is in fact untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

I think US will try beat Germany and so the Germans will have to do the same, looking at the strength of the last 16 potential opposition, topping the group could be a much much easier match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Do people think USA will lose heavily? Will it be enough to fend off Portugal? I have a feeling Portugal will nick it unfortunately...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Portugal need Germany to win by a few and them to beat Ghana by a few, not much chance of it happening going on Portugal's performance so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

To be fair to Boateng, Ghana wouldn't be in the competition only for him.

Would love to know what went on. The two were always close friends at Milan, but both are very temperamental.
    How do you work that out ?
    His only appearance during qualification was in the second leg of their playoff against Egypt where they won 7-3 .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Muntari should have been sent home for wearing his shorts half way down his arse anyway.

Didn't he go on the streets the other day handing out money to people?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    His only appearance during qualification was in the second leg of their playoff against Egypt where they won 7-3 .

My mistake, was sure I read before that he had something to do with it so I double-checked his wiki page:

"On 4 November 2013, he came on as a 79th minute substitute in the second leg and scored Ghana's only goal in the 89th minute as the Black Stars secured qualification to the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Brazil"

Shows how misleading wiki can be :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

The midfielder has yet to play for the Black Stars since renouncing his decision to retire from international football in November 2011 as he always picked up suspiciously coincidental injuries playing for Schalke every time he was called up for international duty.
    For example, he missed Ghana’s final 2-1 win over former African champions Zambia in Accra with persistent knee trouble, but was fit enough to play (and score) for his club Schalke in a 1-0 win over Mainz 05 just a week later.
    The former German youth player again sustained injury with another international break looming soon thereafter, picking up a bruised knee in Schalke’s 4-1 win over Augsburg in the Bundesliga just two days before he was to report to Ghana’s training camp in Accra.
    He subsequently sat out Ghana’s 6-1 victory in the first leg of their World Cup qualifying double-header against Egypt, but curiously recovered in time to play a part in Schalke’s 3-0 defeat at the hand of Premier League giants Chelsea.

Most Ghanaians don't like him. I hope his international career is over now.

Anybody have a link to details about exactly what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Apparently Ghana also sent $3m to Brazil in a chartered plane on Wednesday or the players would boycott the Portugal game.
    Maybe muntari and boateng went back on this plane to keep the pilots company.

EDIT: Details on the expellings here http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28035928

Apparently Boateng insulted the coach and Muntari hit someone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

The German game is apparently in danger of being postponed due to torrential rain in Recife for the last 36 hours. Probably means that the other group game would also have to be postponed. Must be some headache for FIFA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Aguero misses the rest of WC, big blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I think he's been crap. Might bring a bit more balance to Argentina now he's out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think he's been crap. Might bring a bit more balance to Argentina now he's out.

I'd agree. The best 11 players isn't necessarily the best team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I really hope he gets himself sorted over the summer. He's had so many niggling injuries over the last year. If he could get himself properly fit and ready to go for the full Premier League season it would be great from a viewers point of view.

Suarez is gone as well.

Suspended for 9 international games plus 4 months of football apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Suarez is gone as well.

Suspended for 9 international games plus 4 months of football apparently

Possibly will be reduced on appeal?

seligehgit wrote: »
    Possibly will be reduced on appeal?

Possibly but very unlikely imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Another underperforming "big name" bites the dust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Who is eamon trying to appeal to?

Is Eamonn trying to be controversial again by defending Suarez?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Fair play Eamonn for speaking some common sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Is Eamonn trying to be controversial again by defending Suarez?

Not really, there is an overreaction to what Suarez did and the punishment doesnt fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭egghead.

Fair play Eamonn for speaking some common sense.

He was talking absolute ****e.

Pure whataboutery.

Seems no-one can take responsibility for their actions nowadays because someone else done this and that.

• Advertisement

Thought the punishment should have been longer myself.....what he did is not normal.

egghead. wrote: »

Pure whataboutery.

Seems no-one can take responsibility for their actions nowadays because someone else done this and that.

He was bang on when he was saying that former pro footballers guilty of dishing out career threatening tackles should STFU looking for a lifetime ban for Suarez.

He was bang on when he was saying that former pro footballers guilty of dishing out career threatening tackles should STFU looking for a lifetime ban for Suarez.

Which footballers said this ?

And does it have anything to do with Suarezs behavior ?

Did they do it three times including getting a long ban for one incident and then receiving psychological help before doing it again on the world's biggest stage?

Which footballers said this ?

And does it have anything to do with Suarezs behavior ?

Alan Shearer, Danny Mills

• Advertisement

Alan Shearer, Danny Mills

When did Alan shearer dish out a career threatening tackle?

To be fair I can remember him stamping on Neil Lennon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That's not a career threatening tackle, it's violent conduct, something Suarez has done on numerous occasions.

That's not a career threatening tackle, it's violent conduct, something Suarez has done on numerous occasions.

So kicking someone full force in the face isn't career threatening or life threatening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So kicking someone full force in the face isn't career threatening or life threatening?

Not unless they have to go to hospital! :pac:

To be fair I can remember him stamping on Neil Lennon.

He threatened to withdraw himself from contention for England if he received any punishment for it too - and got his way!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/9593093/Ashley-Cole-gets-into-Twitter-row-with-Alan-Shearer-over-comments-on-England-selection.html
    The FA decided against punishing Shearer for the incident amid fears that the then Newcastle striker would withdraw from England before that summer’s World Cup.

Shearer was a very dirty player, especially with the elbow.

Ghana kicking off after their game with Portugal it seems.

e80b98af1ec70686a4f38f1ee2fb21d5.png
    f6e07a62c92640d32cd31e11120de3d6.png

What a horrible bunch of mercenaries they appear to be. Though with Gyan in particular, it's hardly any surprise given he choose to all but end his career in his mid-twenties for money.

Here's Boye kissing his cut of their bonus money:

BrDAyn5CQAAfFvK.jpg:large

I'm delighted they've been knocked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Beffs

Pure whataboutery.

Bingo.

• Advertisement

Beffs wrote: »
    Bingo.

Bingoboutery

Samaras thanks his biggest fan :D
    He arranged tickets to fly him to Brazil to watch him play in the last 16:D
    Sadly the family had to turn them down.

10440237_242927539236812_4410927921389320112_n.jpg

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/world-cup/video-bighearted-giorgios-samaras-organised-to-bring-irish-celtic-fan-11-to-world-cup-but-he-sadly-had-to-decline-30389205.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Samaras comes across as such a genuinely nice bloke. Top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

No games tonight? This is weird.

No it's not. There's always a break between the group stage games and the 2nd round games.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Well aware of that! Spoilt over the past two weeks so can't really complain.

If there's a highlight show on I might tune in to that as I've missed a load of 5pm games and haven't seen some teams play at all (Argentina!).

I think Tony O'Donoghue said yesterday there'd be a catch up show tonight....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Nigerian goalkeeper tells referee: “Messi’s so good, and I’m sh1t!” :D

http://www.joe.ie/football/world-cup-2014-brazil/video-nigerian-goalkeeper-tells-referee-messis-so-good-and-im-****/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Really looking forward to Brazil v Chile!

• Advertisement

I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D
    I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D
    I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D:D

I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D:D:D

Advertisement