Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Superb clash, feel for Chile but the Samba boys roll on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Was hoping Chile come through but not to be,maybe a fully fit Vidal would have made the difference,he was a massive loss to them when he went off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

The Greek's putting the Ghanaians (among others) to shame:

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/the-rio-report/greece-surprising-request-turning-down-world-cup-bonus-133423113.html
    Whether it be their surprising Euro 2004 success a decade ago or their dramatic qualification from this year’s World Cup group stages, Greece tend to be a team of feelgood moments.

Their latest warming turn of events comes courtesy of a Greek report which suggests the squad have politely turned down a bonus from their Prime Minister, Antonis Samaras, for reaching the knockout phase for the first time in the famous tournament’s history.

Instead, they requested that the cash be used to build a brand-spanking new training centre for the national side so that they can continue to provide better results for their country.

A very brief letter read, according to NewsBomb.gr:

"We do not want extra bonus, or money. We only play for Greece and its people.

“All we want is for you to support our effort to find a land and create a sports center that will house our national team ".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Why do referees not book players for diving at this World Cup?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Im just not getting into the groove of this world cup, any games i watch seem boreing and there is shag all atmosphere in any of the games, have they ever heard of singing in brazil, even the vuvuzellas were better then this:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Im just not getting into the groove of this world cup, any games i watch seem boreing and there is shag all atmosphere in any of the games, have they ever heard of singing in brazil, even the vuvuzellas were better then this:(

If you listen to 5 live you hear the crowds better

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

even the vuvuzellas were better then this:(

No. No they were not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Any game involving a S. American team the atmosphere will be amazing may not come across aswell on TV though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Are you sure you're watching the right tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

What you mad?? this has been the best world Cup since I've been alive and shag all Atmosphere?? come on it's been brilliant. I wouldn't like to see what you think is great Shamrock cause this has been a brilliant World cup so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

How did they get a brass band into the Costa Rica V Greece game? Thought they were banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D:D:D

Best couple of weeks of football I can remember in a long, long time. Really driving home that, at it's best, International football is something that cannot be touched by the club game. It just means so much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

How did they get a brass band into the Costa Rica V Greece game? Thought they were banned.
    Maybe they just banned that dire England band specifically!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

No matches Wednesday or Thursday... The withdrawal will be something rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No matches Wednesday or Thursday... The withdrawal will be something rotten.

WHAT????

WHAT????

Last two Round of 16 matches tomorrow, then the Quarters don't start until Friday. :(

Any predictions for the semi-finals? I'd go with:

Brasil v Germany
    Netherlands v Belgium

No idea what might happen after that though.

Brasil v Germany
    Netherlands v Belgium

I think Argentina will beat Belgium. I think the German's will beat Brazil. I don't get the hype and why everyone are saying they will win the world cup apart from Neymar they ain't much cop. Once a top attacking team get their hands on them they will destroy them. Holland vs Argentina, god knows who win that.

I want a Holland vs Germany final myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think the winner will be South American, Colombia, Brazil or Argentina, not sure which.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Brasil v Germany
    Netherlands v Belgium

Personally I don't see Brazil beating Colombia. Find them very slugish. I'm going with Colombia to beat them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭letowski

Colm Cooper, Kerry footballer, is going to be talking on the RTE would cup highlights show at 3.30 today. Don't know what to make of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Semi Finals

Colombia -v- France
    Argentina -v- Netherlands

Hard to decide the quarter final of France -v- Germany....but I'll guess France

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Brasil v Germany
    Netherlands v Belgium

Belgium will be dumped out tomorrow evening imo.

I actually completely forgot Belgium had to play Argentina. I am revising my prediction. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I actually completely forgot Belgium had to play Argentina. I am revising my prediction. :pac:

They play USA tomorrow no?

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    They play USA tomorrow no?

Yeah but assuming they and Argentina progress, they'll meet in the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

wonder who's involved?

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/12040/9367258/world-cup-cameroon-say-allegations-of-fraud-made-against-players
    Cameroon have launched an investigation after allegations of match-fixing were made against seven players at the World Cup.

FECAFOOT, the country's football federation, has instructed its ethics committee to investigate claims of ‘fraud’ in their Group A games, particularly the 4-0 defeat to Croatia in Manaus.

The allegations against Cameroon came from convicted match-fixer Wilson Raj Perumal, who accurately predicted the Croatia result and the fact a player would be sent-off during a discussion with German magazine Der Spiegel.

Cameroon midfielder Alex Song was dismissed before half-time for elbowing Croatia's Mario Mandzukic and his 10-man side slumped to a heavy defeat.

A statement from FECAFOOT read: "Recent allegations of fraud around Cameroon's three 2014 World Cup games, especially Cameroon v Croatia, as well the existence of ‘seven bad apples (in our national team)’ do not reflect the values and principles promoted by our administration.

"We wish to inform the general public that, though not yet contacted by FIFA in regards to this affair, our administration has already instructed its Ethics Committee to further investigate these accusations.

"We are strongly committed to employ all means necessary to resolve this disruptive matter with the shortest delay."

http://www.spiegel.de/sport/fussball/wm-2014-wettpate-perumal-spricht-von-betrug-bei-kamerun-spielen-a-978091.html
    A few hours before the match against Cameroon Croatia Perumal wrote in a message that Africans would lose the game 0-4 and that in the first half, one of their players would get the red card. In fact, Cameroon lost the encounter with this result, in the 40th minute flew Alex Song after violent conduct by the court.

"In this team there are seven bad apples", Perumal wrote. He believes the team have moved all three group games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Brazilian fans celebrating the penalty kicks last game:

1b3ciHT.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

This being the best World Cup has been greatly helped by the fact that it is being held in Brazil, so enjoy it while you can as the next one will be held in Russia with Moscow being one of the most expensive and un-friendliest cities in the world and Qatar, well what is there to say about a country with no relationship at all with the game.
    FIFA have got things right on the pitch but of it they are just a shambles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

20 Years ago today Andres Escobar was murdered for scoring this own goal.

Great documentary made about it a few years back.
    With no football on tonight I might give it a watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Wasn't murdered for scoring that own goal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Neil Lennon will join Brad and Ronnie for the first QF on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Anyone know is there any highlights or coverage on today of any of the last round of games? Missed a few of the games the past few days and wouldn't mind a bit of a catch up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Bbc red button has it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

So, germany v brazil in the first semi. Brazil will be without silva who is suspended for what was an idiotic thing to do, and neymar whos out for the tournament apparently. Germany probably cant believe their luck with brazil missing their two best players.
    Hard to see where brazil will get any goals from considering hulk and fred have been by and large, sh!te. Bernard i guess will come in for neymar.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

@GaryLineker: Neymar is out of the World Cup with a broken vertebrae. What an absolute bummer!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Hope to God Germany put this Brazilian team to the sword as they are a betrayal of everything that Brazilian football has stood for in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Thought Brazil would go on to win this but can't see it happening without Neymar now, real shame, genuinely thought that he would lead Brazil to this world cup and fancied Brazil to get by the Germans even without Thiago Silva, but without Neymar I can't see them going any further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Thought Brazil would go on to win this but can't see it happening without Neymar now, real shame, genuinely thought that he would lead Brazil to this world cup and fancied Brazil to get by the Germans even without Thiago Silva, but without Neymar I can't see them going any further.

Thiago Silva is a bigger loss than Neymar imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Thiago Silva is a bigger loss than Neymar imo.

Well, Silva is a big loss but Dante isn't a bad replacement.

Neymar on the otherhand, IS the Brazilian attack. Almost everything they do going forward goes through him, I'm not sure what they're going to do without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Blatter wrote: »
    Well, Silva is a big loss but Dante isn't a bad replacement.

Neymar on the otherhand, IS the Brazilian attack. Almost everything they do going forward goes through him, I'm not sure what they're going to do without him.

It is possible that the over reliance on Neymar could have been a bit of a hindrance although he is brilliant. It will be essential that Oscar steps up now though.

A line up like is still a match of the Germans
    Julio Cesar

Alves---David Luiz---Dante----Marcelo

----Fernandinho
    Luis Gustavo

Willian
    Oscar
    Hulk

Fred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

So three of the 4 finalists are decided now, and they are pretty much the teams that were generally expected to be playing in the Semi's.

But unfortunately none of them has actually really been convincing, or playing a free flowing game. Are the other talented teams just too weak, or too inexperienced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

That's the semi-final lineups confirmed:

Brazil v Germany - Tuesday 9pm
    Netherlands v Argentina - Wednesday 9pm

On a separate note - there's usually always a surprise package at a World Cup. In recent-ish World Cup's we've had Bulgaria 1994, Croatia 1998, South Korea and Turkey 2002, Uruguay 2010 and 2014 would have to go to Costa Rica. They've been a credit to themselves especially when you consider how tough their group was. Getting to a quarter-final and pushing it all the way to penalties is one hell of an achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Just looked at the betting
    Argentina 12/5
    Brazil 13/5
    Germany 13/5
    Holland 7/2
    I cant imagine the odds have ever been so close at this stage of the world cup or any last 4 stage before and I agree its really hard to seperate the four teams and impossible to pick a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

QFs were a bit flat on the whole...thought the fra v ger and arg v bel games were dire a real snorefest i suppose the players are suffering from fatigue at this stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I have enjoyed the whole thing so far. Great stuff.

The scary thing is that it has shown how far ourselves and the rest of the UK are behind these teams in quality terms.

We have not been playing real soccer, just stopping other teams from playing.

fryup wrote: »
    QFs were a bit flat on the whole...thought the fra v ger and arg v bel games were dire a real snorefest i suppose the players are suffering from fatigue at this stage

Nah it was to be expected as they are playing cautious and not wanting to give the first goal away. One mistake could lead to someone going out like it did for France and Belgium in the end.

People expecting 4-4 games now shouldn't be getting their hopes up. they will get more cautious even more.

Only good games ive seen so far are usa-belgium, ghana-germany thats it 2 good games out of an entire world cup:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Only good games ive seen so far are usa-belgium, ghana-germany thats it 2 good games out of an entire world cup:eek:

So I guess what you're saying is that you haven't been watching the World Cup much?

SantryRed wrote: »
    So I guess what you're saying is that you haven't been watching the World Cup much?

Ive missed alot to be fair, but what i have seen has been pure garbage

• Advertisement
Advertisement