Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Ive missed alot to be fair, but what i have seen has been pure garbage

ah come on, pure garbage was 2010 world cup. this has been excellent, you need to watch more.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Looper007 wrote: »
    ah come on, pure garbage was 2010 world cup. this has been excellent, you need to watch more.

2010 was an excellent tournament , it seemed inevitable that Spain would win particularly after recovering against the loss to the Swiss to top their group, but there was still some great games and fascinating side stories - the usual England self destruct was even more bizarre than normal, the emergence of that brilliant German side and the negative side of Dutch football .

A grand tournament .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

@football_oranje
    Follow
    Unbelievable that FIFA has booted Netherlands out of their base hotel in Rio due to major Sports sponsors wanting it! Shocking! #NED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

mexico 86 & italia 90 were garbage

this one is brill (so far)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

seligehgit wrote: »
    Hope to God Germany put this Brazilian team to the sword as they are a betrayal of everything that Brazilian football has stood for in the past.

Except for 2010. Or 94. Or 90. And 78 and 74.

Brazilian football has always been concerned with winning matches, and have used a variety of approaches to try and achieve same depending on the players available in the World Cup concerned. This team is clearly trying its very best under ridiculous levels of pressure and expectation.

I'll be rooting for them on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I know crazy right, I don't have a preference and i'd like to actually see a all european final but I mean do people honestly think big Phil is going to set his team out to play fast flowing attractive football when he doesn't have the players for it.

Play to your strengths that's all you can do and it's all Brazil have done so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Except for 2010. Or 94. Or 90. And 78 and 74.

Brazilian football has always been concerned with winning matches, and have used a variety of approaches to try and achieve same depending on the players available in the World Cup concerned. This team is clearly trying its very best under ridiculous levels of pressure and expectation.

I'll be rooting for them on Tuesday.

I would go as far as saying there has never been more pressure on a team throughout the history of the game especially when you consider the hurt they still have over uruguay winning the tournament in Brazil the last time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

I would go as far as saying there has never been more pressure on a team throughout the history of the game especially when you consider the hurt they still have over uruguay winning the tournament in Brazil the last time
    Well I normally love Brazilian football but for the first time I will be cheering on the German's as there definitely seems to be an open bias towards getting the hosts to the final by any means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

I'd love to see the Dutch win it, but failing that I hope the Germans turn it up to 11 and completely shred Brazil and then do the same to Argentina in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

To say that Brazil don't have players skillful enough to play better football is just not true. The manager has a style and has gone with it. And neymar aside, the rest of the team looks frozen in fear . I'd say it's hard for us to understand how much pressure they are under but it is definitely having an effect. Some of the players just want rid of the ball as soon as they get it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hoping for a Germany - Holland or Brazil - Argentina final, two of the biggest international rivalries in football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I know, you'd feel sorry them really, 5 world cups just isn't enough. I'll definitely be rooting for Germany, can't stand the constant stream of pundits hoping that the hosts get to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

tastyt wrote: »
    To say that Brazil don't have players skillful enough to play better football is just not true. The manager has a style and has gone with it. And neymar aside, the rest of the team looks frozen in fear . I'd say it's hard for us to understand how much pressure they are under but it is definitely having an effect. Some of the players just want rid of the ball as soon as they get it

Hulk is very erratic, flits between bustling brilliance and playground clumsiness, the midfielders are all agressive, hard tackling but dont possess much panache, they have the worst CF out of all the s/f teams and have lost the one genuinely world class defender in the team. I would not be hopeful if I was Brazil. It's a lot to ask of Oscar, who remains the last genuinely world class talent in the team. Dani Alves has done precious little, Marcelo has offered support going fwd but caused problems defensively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D
    I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D
    I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D:D
    I will say it again I love this World Cup :D:D:D:D:D

I will say it again I love this World Cup :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭Peanut Butter Jelly

I will say it again I love this World Cup :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

FTFY.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

This is madness lads. 5 - 0. All hail ze germans

Ich für meinen Teil begrüße unsere neuen deutschen Oberherren.

Nur Englisch bitte.

Nur Englisch bitte.

I for one welcome our new German overlords. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Amazing result, sad for the hosts but the right result for football.

• Advertisement

Goes to show don't write off the Germans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Looper007 wrote: »
    Goes to show don't write off the Germans.

Who was writing them off?

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

Plenty in the press, on here and the pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

KERSPLAT! wrote: »

America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Finally, we got the last ingredient that this World Cup needed to be a classic: one great team stepping up to seize the trophy

Nur Englisch bitte.

Can our paymasters please translate?:D

Can our paymasters please translate?:D

I for one welcome our new German overlords

English only please.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Hope to God Germany put this Brazilian team to the sword as they are a betrayal of everything that Brazilian football has stood for in the past.

Now, what was that other thing you wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

Kudos to the ref last night thought he had an excellent game I suppose had Brazil been reffed correctly before they would have lost but not been humiliated. Karma is a bitch really.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Thought the ref was poor last night when it came to bookings, only dished out one yellow card which was remarkable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Tokarev

Reekwind wrote: »
    Finally, we got the last ingredient that this World Cup needed to be a classic: one great team stepping up to seize the trophy

We did? :confused:

Argentina or Netherlands will have a say in who will seize the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭grumpymunster

vidor wrote: »
    Thought the ref was poor last night when it came to bookings, only dished out one yellow card which was remarkable.

Why was it remarkable? There was very little that deserved a yellow card for the first 30 minutes or so and the past 60 minutes was played at little more than training pace apart from the first 5 minutes of the second half. Maybe the odd shout for diving but no serious fould play.

Is that how a ref is judged now how many cards he dished out? If last nights ref had been in charge of the Brazil Columbia game it is probable that Naymar would still be running around a pitch there was no stage last night you did not feel he did not have control of the game.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Reekwind wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that just yet. Winning a game in the way that Germany did last night is probably the worst possible preparation for a World Cup final. It would have been better to win a close contest because at least things will have been learned.

On a side note, I am completely baffled at how David Luiz is a professional footballer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Tokarev wrote: »
    We did? :confused:

I read Reekwind's comment that a quality team such as Germany was simply stepping up to win it by getting to the final so emphatically, not that they'd won it already.

Also, IMO Argentina or Holland would be worthy winners too :)

Hoping for an Argentina vs Germany final myself.

cournioni wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that just yet. Winning a game in the way that Germany did last night is probably the worst possible preparation for a World Cup final. It would have been better to win a close contest because at least things will have been learned.

On a side note, I am completely baffled at how David Luiz is a professional footballer.

Don't think so, the cruised through the game, we're allowed to rest their slightly unfit defender for 45 minutes and have an extra days rest over whoever the other finalist will be. It's also very possible that tonight's game will got the full 120 minutes which will be even better news for the Germans.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Don't think so, the cruised through the game, we're allowed to rest their slightly unfit defender for 45 minutes and have an extra days rest over whoever the other finalist will be. It's also very possible that tonight's game will got the full 120 minutes which will be even better news for the Germans.
    Maybe so, but we have seen it before in many different codes where a team has hammered teams only to be beaten in the very next game. I don't think its always down to over confidence either, I'd say its mainly down to the fact that a victory like this is poor preparation for a real test, which the World Cup final will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Why was it remarkable? There was very little that deserved a yellow card for the first 30 minutes or so and the past 60 minutes was played at little more than training pace apart from the first 5 minutes of the second half. Maybe the odd shout for diving but no serious fould play.

Is that how a ref is judged now how many cards he dished out? If last nights ref had been in charge of the Brazil Columbia game it is probable that Naymar would still be running around a pitch there was no stage last night you did not feel he did not have control of the game.

I said he was poor when it came to dishing out yellow cards. Obviously there's other aspects to reffing game but I'm talking about this one. I just remember there being a few nasty fouls, a good bit of diving and a couple of cynical fouls (Muller in the first 5 mins iirc?). Also, Luiz should count himself lucky he didn't get booked towards the end for that lash out at Muller. Ended up looking hilarious though! Actually, wasn't there an arm swung out by Luiz on one of his runs in the first half that caught someone in the face? Remember thinking he was fortunate to get away with that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Tokarev wrote:
    Of course. I'm not suggesting that the final is won already.

But the one real criticism that I could have made of this World Cup is that all the genuine title contenders were firing on half-cylinders. Everyone seemed to be slightly stumbling towards the finish line. Germany and Netherlands had been fitfully brilliant but often pedestrian, Argentina still haven't clicked into gear and Brazil were awful throughout. We've had a lot of really good football throughout the tournament but not much opportunity to say "Wow. That's the best team in the world." We didn't have a proper world champion in-waiting.

Until now. That was a superb Germany performance and a real marker for their opponents. Another performance like that and this tournament will have the champion that it deserves.

(And, of course, I hope that both Argentina and the Netherlands can improve and provide similar performances, either tonight or in the final. I'm just happy that a minimum of one contender has stepped up the quality.)
    cournioni wrote: »
    Winning a game in the way that Germany did last night is probably the worst possible preparation for a World Cup final. It would have been better to win a close contest because at least things will have been learned.
    I'd agree [Edit: Opps. Meant 'disagree'] but for two reasons. Turning on the burners to absolutely demolish a title rival is rarely a bad thing. More importantly, this Germany team look as focused as any I've seen. They were furious to concede a late goal, the celebrations were relatively muted at the end and throughout the match they kept the pressure up. Maybe it's the old stereotypes, maybe it's the contrast with Brazil but this Germany team looks mean and ready.

I would have thought that having the game firmly polished off in 30 minutes and playing the rest at training pace will be a significant advantage for Germany, given the inevitable fatigue involved in playing so many high tempo matches, in intense heat, in such a short period.

If the Netherlands go through for example, they've played a lot of their games in the middle of the day, they had to go all the way to penalties in their last match, they'll likely have to be at full pelt tonight for 90 minutes at least, and they've one less day to recover. It's hard to see them having enough left in the tank to take on this German team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Quick question, for sweepstake purposes. Were Spain the first team to be eliminated (as I've read elsewhere) or was it both them and Australia? I assume it has to be both.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Quick question, for sweepstake purposes. Were Spain the first team to be eliminated (as I've read elsewhere) or was it both them and Australia? I assume it has to be both.

Both at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Even though Australia lost too V Holland they played Spain in the final group game so still had a chance to get through if Spain had beaten Chile.

But since Chile beat Spain that eliminated both Australia and Spain at the final whistle

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

pavb2 wrote: »
    I'm thinking Brazil Argentina Germany holland for top four apart from holland I guess this is probably the form guide
    I allowed myself to be talked out of this pre tournament bet. (Thinly veiled I got it right post)
    Then I backed higuain for top scorer

Loved to know who were the 2 Dutch players who refused to take the first penalty,real shame Van Gal repeat his Tim Krul substitution for the penalty shoot out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BsL3OcUCQAAQr8V.png

Interesting how the spine of the current WC German team played in the 2009 U-21s final & only James Milner survived on the English side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Germany are going to win the World Cup. Yayyyyyyyyy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

BsSFQ2bCQAAHuRe.jpg

Decent list apart from Lahm.

Di Maria and Lahm should not be there. Lahm has been a lot better since he was moved back to rb though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Muller is definitely the most deserving of it so far imo of the players left in the competition. Probably followed by Robben.

Would've loved to have seen James Rodriguez get it (think he was the standout player in the tournament alongside Muller) but you usually need to make the semi final as far as I'm aware.

Can see it being a case of if Germany win then it'll go to Muller, unless he has a shocker of a final and Hummels/Kroos light it up, and if Argentina win then it goes to Messi, who has shown glimpses of extreme quality but I don't think he's deserving of the Golden Ball at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Van Gaal a bitter man after that semi final defeat. First he doesnt wanna play the 3rd/4th place play off and now he claims the whole World Cup was set up for Brazil. I never really thought he was like that to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement