Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I see Candreva going anyway as like they kind of need a winger in the team

Shocked that Criscito didnt make the team as i would have put him down as the starting left back for Italy :confused:

But never mind the Italian media about Chiellini as he's Italy's best centre back and they miss him when he plays.

I am just trying to what way are they going to be playing ?. As Prandelli can play them in some odd ways at times

De Sciglio all day every day as starting left back but Crisctio gives options, can play left full, centre back, centre mid and wing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Does anybody else like the look of Muller as top scorer? Along with Germany to win the competition it's 66/1

Dzeko @ 100/1 for me.

Bosnia have a weak group; Nigeria and Iran. They could score quite a few against Iran and should get out of that group. Dzeko could score enough in 3-4 games to be top scorer. Iran have a decent record in their own right but Asia was so poor this time around for qualifying that it's hard to give their record much credibility.

Top scorer in the last World Cup scored 5 and the same in 2006. Interestingly both German players (Muller/Sneijder and Klose). In 2002 it was Ronaldo but I can't see anyone beating 8 in this WC.

5 seems to be the sweet spot. I can see Bosnia scoring in all 3 games. Argentina will probably win this group comfortably but I can see Nigeria and Iran attacking Bosnia which should suit them. He finished the season strongly and I think 100/1 is a great price for him.

Italy's best starting XI from that group of players would probably be a 3-5-2 with this team:

Buffon

Barzagli Bonucci Chiellini

Abate De Sciglio

Montolivo Pirlo De Rossi

Balotelli Rossi.

They won't play 3-5-2 though so I'd expect Barzagli to be dropped for another forward and them playing a 4-3-3.

Seaneh wrote: »
    Not going to happen on either front.
    Oh absolutely but what is the reason for it?

glued wrote: »
    Oh absolutely but what is the reason for it?

The Beast was naughty and hurt poor ickle Miralem Pjanic the other day, looked intentional, breaks the "code of ethics" and well, haters gonna hate when it comes to Mario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Really now? Who do you suggest replaces him? Clichy has been a disaster for France and Evra is a massive leader in the squad despite the mutiny in Knysna. He was guaranteed to be on that plane.

You're basically suggesting that France leave their starting left back at home. You do realise that he played every minute of every game for France in the qualifiers.

Of course you didn't realise that.
    Didnt realise you were a mind reader,well aware he played all games,that still doesn't change the fact that he is half the player he was even two years ago and will be brutally exposed at WC if he starts

Didnt realise you were a mind reader,well aware he played all games,that still doesn't change the fact that he is half the player he was even two years ago and will be brutally exposed at WC if he starts

How is he lucky to be there when he is by a distance their best left back? He's certainly been poor but France don't have the options there. Obviously Digne is one for the future but Clichy has been poor for France so many times and Evra is a leader in the dressing room. He's France's best option at left back so calling him lucky is absurd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

How is he lucky to be there when he is by a distance their best left back? He's certainly been poor but France don't have the options there. Obviously Digne is one for the future but Clichy has been poor for France so many times and Evra is a leader in the dressing room. He's France's best option at left back so calling him lucky is absurd.
    We will agree to disagree;)...if that's not absurd.

We will agree to disagree;)...if that's not absurd.

Sure :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Sampdoria), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Agustin Orion (Boca Juniors).

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Federico Fernandez (Napoli), Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Marcos Rojo (Sporting Lisbon), Hugo Campagnaro (Inter Milan), Martin Demichelis (Manchester City), Jose Basanta (Monterrey), Nicolas Otamendi (Atletico Mineiro), Lisandro Lopez (Getafe), Gabriel Mercado (River Plate)

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Fernando Gago (Boca Juniors), Lucas Biglia (Lazio), Ever Banega (Newell's Old Boys), Ricardo Alvarez (Inter Milan), Augusto Fernandez (Celta Vigo), Jose Sosa (Atletico Madrid), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys), Fabian Rinaudo (Catania), Enzo Perez (Benfica)

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Rodrigo Palacio (Inter Milan), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris Saint-Germain), Franco Di Santo (Werder Bremen).

Argentinas squad.

• Advertisement

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Goalkeepers: Sergio Romero (Sampdoria), Mariano Andujar (Catania), Agustin Orion (Boca Juniors).

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (Manchester City), Federico Fernandez (Napoli), Ezequiel Garay (Benfica), Marcos Rojo (Sporting Lisbon), Hugo Campagnaro (Inter Milan), Martin Demichelis (Manchester City), Jose Basanta (Monterrey), Nicolas Otamendi (Atletico Mineiro), Lisandro Lopez (Getafe), Gabriel Mercado (River Plate)

Midfielders: Javier Mascherano (Barcelona), Fernando Gago (Boca Juniors), Lucas Biglia (Lazio), Ever Banega (Newell's Old Boys), Ricardo Alvarez (Inter Milan), Augusto Fernandez (Celta Vigo), Jose Sosa (Atletico Madrid), Angel Di Maria (Real Madrid), Maxi Rodriguez (Newell's Old Boys), Fabian Rinaudo (Catania), Enzo Perez (Benfica)

Forwards: Lionel Messi (Barcelona), Gonzalo Higuain (Napoli), Sergio Aguero (Manchester City), Rodrigo Palacio (Inter Milan), Ezequiel Lavezzi (Paris Saint-Germain), Franco Di Santo (Werder Bremen).

Argentinas squad.

And no tevez?

hA4AF631D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ok so after seeing all the big teams squads. i have decided ill be doing spain for my big bet.

oh and nasri not selected? deschamps you nutter!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tim Vickery wrote about the Tevez situation last month.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27010925
    In such a context, the calls for Tevez seem to make little sense. After all, we are talking about a player whose international record is on the poor side of mediocre - he has 13 goals in 64 games (by way of comparison, Aguero has 21 in 50).

The last time Tevez had an extended run in the side was in the 2010 qualifiers, when his 11 starts and one substitute appearance yielded just one goal and two first-half red cards.

The calls for his inclusion may lack some logic, then, but the idol status he has back home gives him a powerful constituency. In the last World Cup, Diego Maradona destroyed the balance of the side he had created because he felt that he had to find a place for Tevez.

In the humiliating 4-0 quarter-final defeat by Germany, Messi dropped deep to try to serve as a supply line for Tevez - a clear inversion of common sense.

Argentina's next coach, Sergio Batista, did not see Tevez as part of his plans, but he backed down after pressure from the public and from the Argentine FA.

Tim Vickery wrote about the Tevez situation last month.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27010925

FRANCO DI SANTO!!!

Are you ****ting me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

That Argentina squad looks a bit shiit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

That Argentina squad looks a bit shiit.

What were you expecting? Messi X11? The team is very average aside from attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Falcao has been selected for Columbias provisional 30-man squad. Really hope he makes it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

And no tevez?
    Tevez hasn't played for Argentina for 3 years, it's hardly surprising.

Tevez hasn't played for Argentina for 3 years, it's hardly surprising.

FRANCO DI SANTO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I don't want Klose to become the all time top goalscorer but its inevitable i think:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

I don't want Klose to become the all time top goalscorer but its inevitable i think:(

Why not? Class act and a complete legend for Germany. He reminds me a lot of how Robbie Keane is for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Klose will still be turning up and knocking in four goals in the Group Stage in the 2026 World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Klose will still be turning up and knocking in four goals in the Group Stage in the 2026 World Cup.

FD25B8DE69EFF3C72823843D74CB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Does anyone know any of the Argentine defence ? Except for the City lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

TheNap wrote: »

Garay is pretty well known, CB at Benfica, attracting some interest in England apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

TheNap wrote: »

Garay is a solid enough centre half. He should be on view tonight in the final for Benfica

Romero
    Zabaleta Fernandez Garay Rojo
    Banega Mascherano Di Maria
    Messi
    Higuain Aguero

Di Maria in midfield will kill them. Higuain and Aguero play out a bit more wide than suggested there. Gago could play instead of Banega. Definitely going to be one of those teams that will be exciting to watch.

• Advertisement

FRANCO DI SANTO.

Shout all you like, but what has Carlos Tevez not going to the World Cup got to do with di Santo going?

Hint: absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Why not? Class act and a complete legend for Germany. He reminds me a lot of how Robbie Keane is for us

But I LOVE Ronaldo, let him keep the record even tho I have backed Germany to win it so need Klose to be scoring.

Torn between two lovers :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Article from Tim Vickery about the climate and conditions of matches in Brazil, especially early kick off's in the north east. Word of warning to Germany backers

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27187741

Shout all you like, but what has Carlos Tevez not going to the World Cup got to do with di Santo going?

Hint: absolutely nothing.

The idea of Franco Di Santo going to the world cup for Argentina is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

The idea of Franco Di Santo going to the world cup for Argentina is ridiculous.

Yes, I agree. But still, what's that got to do with Carlos Tevez? You're making out like di Santo's going in favour of Tevez, which is patently untrue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Argentina will be great to watch. That dismal defence means they have no choice but to try and outscore the opposition.

Messi & Aguero/Higuain will be incredible if they click.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Jorge Mendes reprsents 50% of Portugal's squad. :)
    6zrX5nf.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Argentina will be great to watch. That dismal defence means they have no choice but to try and outscore the opposition.

Messi & Aguero/Higuain will be incredible if they click.

Dismal defence? This is a mantra that is repeated without any statistical backup. It would be nice if people would inform themselves a little. The only team that conceded less than Argentina (15) over the conmebol qualification was Colombia (13). Hipster's favourites Chile conceded 25. Note, whilst only conceding 15 they scored 35, the next closest top scorer was Chile with 29, so it's not due to conservative football. This in a group with attack minded teams like Chile, Uruguay and Colombia, no mean feat.

Garay has had a good season for Benfica, Zabaleta is no weak link, Fernandez has been solid for Napoli, Mascherano will sit in front of them. Across the back 4 and midfield protection if they stay fit they have a very solid defence and their performances bear that out. OK, if Garay goes they might struggle but there is no major issue in defence. You might argue that Romero is occasionally error prone, maybe.

ps..Di Santo is not getting into the 23 man squad. He was given a sniff of the set up to encourage him, nothing more. Tevez would be going if he hadn't attacked the manager and refused to play on the bench. You can't have a player going where they insist they have to start or they will kick up shyt. He's not the brightest and has apparently got no one to reign him in. Had he kept his head down he might well be starting instead of Higuain, but no, he's not mentally capable of sitting tight and trying to take his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I will openly admit I only know Zab and Garay from their back 4, Zab is very attack minded IMO but I do like Garay. I agree with you in that I made a bit of a generalisation which isn't really fair, I was basing it on history moreso than the actual players aside from a few. Historically, defence is usually Argentina's weak point which is probably where most of my bias came from! Thank you for the figures though, going by that then they are going to be quite a formidable unit this time round and it will heap the pressure on Messi to guide them to a win if he wants to indisputably be labelled as the greatest player of all time.

All depends on the first game for me with Argentina. If they do well, and critically if Messi does well, the have the ability to go far but if they incur injuries too any one of the 2 CBs or to Mascherano they are in trouble.

Gago has beem awful for Boca and is recovering from a knee strain, Banega has not been great either for Newell's and is currently recovering from some sort of lung infection. There's not much after them. Deeper in mf is arguably were they are weakest, after mascherano there isn't much there at least in terms of form and fitness. Gago is more of a pirlo style player, but has fallen apart this year after a reasonable start. Boca have looked better without him winning 4 on the bounce, Biglia is the pick of there players in the squad.

If Belgium win their group and Argentina win theirs, it will be Arg vs SK or Russia in the 2nd round, looking at the fixture they might them in quarters face a tougher challenge of either Belgium, Uruguay or Italy. I think they might fail here, or lose in the semi finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Argentina's midfield looks a bit slow. Especially if Gago plays. Himself and Mascherano in there together? You just never know with Banega either. They could be losing the battle in there against Belgium, never mind Germany or Spain. I guess Di Maria makes up for that lack of mobility a little as a shuttler.

Argentina's midfield looks a bit slow. Especially if Gago plays. Himself and Mascherano in there together? You just never know with Banega either. They could be losing the battle in there against Belgium, never mind Germany or Spain. I guess Di Maria makes up for that lack of mobility a little as a shuttler.

Will be a back 4 then a sort of loose 4-2-2-2

Mascherano plus one from Gago/Banega or maybe Biglia - you have one destroyer, ball fetcher and then a pirlo type controller or deep midfielder to move the ball around.

(Gago awful season, Banega not much better and with a lung infection right now, I'd go with Biglia, but to be honest it's a problem position). Banega and Gago have been sufficiently poor to leave Maxi Lopez with a chance of starting in there, he's an intelligent player but not a real born and bred deep midfielder.

In front of them will be:

Messi-Aguero-Higuain-Di Maria

Aguero & Higuain will be furthest forward, Messi will be fairly free to move around and Di Maria will give some width. Zabaleta will get foward from RB as he does with city as will Rojo from LB (sporting lisbon).

Pace shouldn't be so much of an issue in m/f (the deeper positions aren't really reliant on pacey players) but distribution might be. Gago is a disaster waiting to happen in my book, a lot depends on Banega finding some sort of form and recovering. He has the most potential for me. Argentina are basically short of a Redondo/Veron type player. All the pretenders have fallen short and I think it's going to cost them at the sharp end of the tournament.

I am pie wrote: »
    Will be a back 4 then a sort of loose 4-2-2-2

Mascherano plus one from Gago/Banega or maybe Biglia - you have one destroyer, ball fetcher and then a pirlo type controller or deep midfielder to move the ball around.

(Gago awful season, Banega not much better and with a lung infection right now, I'd go with Biglia, but to be honest it's a problem position). Banega and Gago have been sufficiently poor to leave Maxi Lopez with a chance of starting in there, he's an intelligent player but not a real born and bred deep midfielder.

In front of them will be:

Messi-Aguero-Higuain-Di Maria

Aguero & Higuain will be furthest forward, Messi will be fairly free to move around and Di Maria will give some width. Zabaleta will get foward from RB as he does with city as will Rojo from LB (sporting lisbon).

Pace shouldn't be so much of an issue in m/f (the deeper positions aren't really reliant on pacey players) but distribution might be. Gago is a disaster waiting to happen in my book, a lot depends on Banega finding some sort of form and recovering. He has the most potential for me. Argentina are basically short of a Redondo/Veron type player. All the pretenders have fallen short and I think it's going to cost them at the sharp end of the tournament.
    The deep-lying playmaker is a big issue not just from a continuity of play standpoint, but also Messi of course. Messi could be flying but if he's not being serviced well enough...

The deep-lying playmaker is a big issue not just from a continuity of play standpoint, but also Messi of course. Messi could be flying but if he's not being serviced well enough...

They've pretty much found a way to integrate him into the team without building the team completely around him, but I agree, everything will ground to a halt unless the balll is moved back to front quickly enough, in fairness they were pretty sharp in qualifying in that respect. Problem is they will probably not face a serious test (Bosnia nor Nigeria really represent that) until they hit a big team (could be Belgium) in the quarters. If they hit Belgium without the mf firing on all cylinders and healthy that Belgian mf will press them back across the brazilian border and down to the south pole. Neither Gago nor Banega have the nuts or nous to stand up to the pressure imo and Maxi Lopez is a square peg into a round hole.

Di Maria will play as part of a midfield trio. Messi will play just behind Aguero and Higuain who will not really be strikers but as hybrid wide players/strikers to give Messi space through the middle.

They would be doublekilled if they did it, but wouldn't it be craic to see them go 3-4-1-2? Vicariously attempting to evoke Maradona, Rojo becomes more comfortable, Mascherano starts a little higher and Banega a little deeper. A "genuine front two" with Aguero and Higuain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

U wot m8

Ronaldo's legacy will be greviously damaged if he loses the World Cup scoring record to Klose. Sure people won't associate him with the tournament at all after that. His achievements will lose all value, meaning, and recognition from history.

I hardly need the rolleyes, do I? Though I'm tempted to reply with about forty of them to Cypher_sounds. If Klose beats the record, he deserves respect, not resentment FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

callaway92 wrote: »
    Seriously???

If fully fit he's one of the best central midfielders in the world imo. Top class player.

Problem solved, as Thiago injured himself. Will be out for around 3 months. One cut less to be made by the Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

DubDani wrote: »
    Problem solved, as Thiago injured himself. Will be out for around 3 months. One cut less to be made by the Spanish.

shame for him, really prob does not affect Spain to much but he will feature in future tournments if he can get himself fit consistantly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement