Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Will be interesting to see if a replacement is called up for thiago in the 30 man squad for friendlies. Xavi/sergio/xabi/iniesta certs for centre mid to go. Iturassppe is young and inexperienced. Koke can play too their of course. Gabi would be a good wild card imo

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

klose wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if a replacement is called up for thiago in the 30 man squad for friendlies. Xavi/sergio/xabi/iniesta certs for centre mid to go. Iturassppe is young and inexperienced. Koke can play too their of course. Gabi would be a good wild card imo

I would be suprised if he did call up a replacment into this squad. He has plenty of options and would be very unlikely he would call someone up to the 30 who realitically he wopuld not see as a real option for the 23.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

DubDani wrote: »
    Problem solved, as Thiago injured himself. Will be out for around 3 months. One cut less to be made by the Spanish.

Ah right, fair enough. Serious squad depth for Spain. Actually, could be considered the total package squad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

I am pie wrote: »
    They've pretty much found a way to integrate him into the team without building the team completely around him, but I agree, everything will ground to a halt unless the balll is moved back to front quickly enough, in fairness they were pretty sharp in qualifying in that respect. Problem is they will probably not face a serious test (Bosnia nor Nigeria really represent that) until they hit a big team (could be Belgium) in the quarters. If they hit Belgium without the mf firing on all cylinders and healthy that Belgian mf will press them back across the brazilian border and down to the south pole. Neither Gago nor Banega have the nuts or nous to stand up to the pressure imo and Maxi Lopez is a square peg into a round hole.
    Despite their big names, I dont see belgium as a threat. The climate will be a massive factor here and the lesser experienced european teams could suffer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Ronaldo's legacy will be greviously damaged if he loses the World Cup scoring record to Klose. Sure people won't associate him with the tournament at all after that. His achievements will lose all value, meaning, and recognition from history.

I hardly need the rolleyes, do I? Though I'm tempted to reply with about forty of them to Cypher_sounds. If Klose beats the record, he deserves respect, not resentment FFS.

To say people won't associate Ronaldo with the world cup if Klose overtakes his scoring record is laughable. For example, remind me who got the two goals in the world cup final for brasil against Germany??

Forty Rolleyes really? If Klose beats the record he deserves respect? he deserves respect already he is a machine for Germany. I'm not sure where you got your attitude towards my post, the reason I said my last statement is because Ronaldo is my all time favourite striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

dreamers75 wrote: »

Any bets on how long it'll take for the first "but it moves in the air too much" story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I was doing pretty well with my world cup sticker book but slipped at just the wrong moment

99acdc90d481.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Ok so its 2022 but, its a bit late now!
    Blatter admits it was a mistake to host tournament in the Middle East

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10835315/Qatar-World-Cup-2022-Sepp-Blatter-admits-it-was-a-mistake-to-host-tournament-in-the-Middle-East.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I was doing pretty well with my world cup sticker book but slipped at just the wrong moment

99acdc90d481.jpg

Wow Leighton Baines wouldn't look out of place in a 70s sticker book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Despite their big names, I dont see belgium as a threat. The climate will be a massive factor here and the lesser experienced european teams could suffer

Belgium don't have a group game in any city where climate will be a factor, Sao Paolo and Rio will be be more than comfortable, fresh almost. Belo Horizonte doesn't offer any particular challenge re: climate either, you have to go much further north. Have a look yourself at av temps and humidity. I've been in Rio & Sao Paulo in winter (June is winter), too cool for the beach. Perfect for football.

Should they (highly speculative) meet in the 1/4s´s (based on Arg winning their group and 2nd round match) it would be in Rio, again..no issue really.

Your talking about temps of around 20c, humidity will be manageable.

I feel like a broken record here but there is a lot of cliche being tossed around re: the climate, it is winter remember folks ! June-July-Aug are the winter months. Doesn't have much of an impact once you head north towards the equator, but in the more southern cities it's not a big issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Groups rarely end up finishing as predicted . Argentina and Belgium might not meet . It could end up being Germany or Portugal they end up playing in the quarters . Or even France in the 2nd round

TheNap wrote: »
    Groups rarely end up finishing as predicted . Argentina and Belgium might not meet . It could end up being Germany or Portugal they end up playing in the quarters . Or even France in the 2nd round

That's why I said "highly speculative".....

What we do know for sure is that Belgium will play 3 games in cities where the climate will not be an issue. IF they qualify, their 2nd round games can only be in either Salvador (5pm KO, likely temp about 25c) or Porto Alegre (likely temp 15 to 20c).

Salvador would be warm and humid but definitely not to the extent it would be a problem.

I'm stopping now, I'm repeating myself, but...for the majority of the games climate is not going to be a deciding factor. Especially for Belgium who have a 50% chance of playing in a moderately warm city (in winter) at a later part of the day.

Lot of misinformation out there regarding the climate. Excuses being made !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The French and there World Cup meltdowns.
    Didier Deschamps and the French Football Federation (FFF) have filed a defamation complaint against Samir Nasri's girlfriend, RMC are reporting.
    Upon learning of her boyfriend's exclusion from France's World Cup squad on Tuesday, Anara Atanes delivered an expletive-filled tirade against manager Deschamps and France on her official Twitter account.
    Atanes, who has reportedly been dating Manchester City midfielder Nasri since last year, later withdrew her comments and apologised.
    However, both Deschamps and the FFF filed the suit against Atanes at Paris' Civil Court on Friday.
    Nasri, who was also omitted from France's 2010 World Cup squad and who was not even put on Deschamps' seven-man standby list after the manager expressed doubts about his willingness to sit on the bench, is now considering international retirement.

ESPN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Diego Costa and Phillip Lahm both off injured in their respective club games today, hope it doesn't cost either their World Cup places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

One survivor from USA 1994 in World Cup 2014
    - Faryd Mondragon (Columbia). He also featured in 1998.

And two more from France 1998
    - Gianluigi Buffon (Italy)
    - Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Lads, any Fantasy World Cup games or general things you can enter with your mates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/

Seems to be the same one that was around for Euro 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/worldcup2014/article-2635960/Luis-Suarez-MISS-World-Cup-picking-knee-injury-training-Liverpool-striker-needing-meniscus-surgery.html

Sky sports news reporting that Luiz Suarez will have knee surgery after incident in training.

Uruguay FA optimistic he will be fit for the world cup

Daily Mail not so optimistic

Would be a serious shame.

Shame for him but for selfish reasons I'll be happy to see him sit out the world cup, providing he stays at the club of course!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

He seems so naturally fit that I'd be confident even if he misses 2 weeks he'd still be able to perform at a good level for Uruguay.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    He seems so naturally fit that I'd be confident even if he misses 2 weeks he'd still be able to perform at a good level for Uruguay.

depends on the injury tbf.

In other news franco di santo and a handful of other non-spectacular players have been cut from the Argentina squad ahead of the 2nd June announcement on the final 23. Not much of a reason given beyond that training sessions are more efficient will less players. Worrying dimechelis is still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I am pie wrote: »
    Worrying dimechelis is still there.
    Why is it worrying? He's one of their best defenders.

Why is it worrying? He's one of their best defenders.

You just answered the question yourself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

kfallon wrote: »
    You just answered the question yourself!

In that case you'd worry about Argentina's defence as a whole. He specifically mentioned Demichelis ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

Demichelis is a very good defender. People buying into the MOTD/Sky line about him being a liability don't know what they're on about, for most of this year he was as good as or better than Kompany.

You'd swear he was Paul McShane the way some people bang on about him, just because he couldn't stop Lionel Messi without giving away a penalty once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Demichelis is a very good defender. People buying into the MOTD/Sky line about him being a liability don't know what they're on about, for most of this year he was as good as or better than Kompany.

You'd swear he was Paul McShane the way some people bang on about him, just because he couldn't stop Lionel Messi without giving away a penalty once.

He was a little dodgy to begin with but really came into his own during the Hull game when Kompany got sent off. Hasn't looked back since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Anyone starting up a World Cup Draft on here like was done for the Euros previously, and the PL?

Was involved in the Legends Draft the last time, which was my first time ever doing one, and I really enjoyed it. Would love get in on board if someone was doing a World Cup one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I see a lot of parallels there with Sahko at Liverpool. Sky Sports pick up on a couple of mistakes they make early in their time at the clubs and decide from there on out that they're weak links.

• Advertisement

Dimichelis hasn't started a game for Argentina in a long time, hasn't been near the squad and admitted to be surprised to be called up.
    Only south american team with a better defense is Brazil, Chile & Uruguay both concede a lot more. Only Colombia conceded less in qualifying whilst Argentina outscored them and other teams. Chile and Uruguay have statistically way worse defences. Chile in particular are very porous with a lot of Chilean league players (not a great league!...dont do much in the Libertadores or Sudamericana). Garay and Fernandez have been very solid for Benfica and Napoli respectively, Zabaleta has been solid as usual and at least Mascherano will offer good protection.

The goals conceded and the form of the players lays waste to rubbish like "poor defence" and "dimechelis is one of their best defenders"

Argentina's problem is they have no quality to play in beside Masherano...el fideo Di Maria will play in mf just in front or Mascherano and Gago/Bañega both of whom have been a disaster this season. GK is a question mark since the coach has kept faith with Romero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭sawfish

Carlos Tevez prefers to go to Disneyland than the world cup this time around.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/16/carlos-tevez-ill-reject-world-cup-place-to-go-to-disney-world-4701516/

See also Germany 4 - 0 Argentina in the last World Cup

sawfish wrote: »
    Carlos Tevez prefers to go to Disneyland than the world cup this time around.

http://metro.co.uk/2014/04/16/carlos-tevez-ill-reject-world-cup-place-to-go-to-disney-world-4701516/

The way the story is put you'd swear they are begging him to join the squad! Hadn't a hope of getting a recall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

I see a lot of parallels there with Sahko at Liverpool. Sky Sports pick up on a couple of mistakes they make early in their time at the clubs and decide from there on out that they're weak links.

Same with Koscielny (and Mertesacker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Handy link for uploading the World Cup fixtures to your calendar:

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1s97yc/calendar_data_for_the_2014_world_cup/

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

Can't understand why Willy Cabellero off Malaga isn't picked for Argentina.. a smashing keeper much much better than what they have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

SantryRed wrote: »
    Handy link for uploading the World Cup fixtures to your calendar:

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/1s97yc/calendar_data_for_the_2014_world_cup/

Awesome, thanks for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Can't understand why Willy Cabellero off Malaga isn't picked for Argentina.. a smashing keeper much much better than what they have
    He isnt friends with Messi & hasn't been part of the recent squads. Tevez isn't in the squad because he tends not to play well with Messi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

1. Joe Hart, 2. Glen Johnson, 3. Leighton Baines, 4. Steven Gerrard, 5. Gary Cahill, 6. Phil Jagielka, 7. Jack Wilshere, 8. Frank Lampard, 9. Daniel Sturridge, 10. Wayne Rooney, 11. Daniel Welbeck, 12. Chris Smalling, 13. Ben Foster, 14. Jordan Henderson, 15. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 16. Phil Jones, 17. James Milner, 18. Rickie Lambert, 19. Raheem Sterling, 20. Adam Lallana, 21. Ross Barkley, 22. Fraser Forster, 23. Luke Shaw

England Squad Numbers out, BBC think Roy may like an old schooled numbered team...so....

..........................1. Joe Hart,
    2.Glen Johnson, 5. Gary Cahill, 6. Phil Jagielka, 3. Leighton Baines,
    ..........................4. Steven Gerrard,
    .............7. Jack Wilshere, 8. Frank Lampard,
    9. Daniel Sturridge, 10. Wayne Rooney, 11. Daniel Welbeck,

Can Sturridge and Wellbeck cover the FBs? I would put Shaw in LB in that team for his pace.

12. Chris Smalling, 13. Ben Foster, 14. Jordan Henderson, 15. Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, 16. Phil Jones, 17. James Milner, 18. Rickie Lambert, 19. Raheem Sterling, 20. Adam Lallana, 21. Ross Barkley, 22. Fraser Forster, 23. Luke Shaw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

MD1990 wrote: »
    He isnt friends with Messi & hasn't been part of the recent squads. Tevez isn't in the squad because he tends not to play well with Messi.

That's one of the more ridiculous reasons I've heard for a player not being selected for a national squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

In fairness it's not just the 'media' thing, he had a slight reputation in Europe for making silly mistakes and a lot of people on here even commented on that very thing when he signed for City. He's a good defender but certainly not near world class or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

May have been posted before, but try the complete World Cup predictor below if you've a spare 20 minutes and see what you come up with:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10501412/World-Cup-2014-Wallchart-Predictor-Game.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Good old Roy, bound to win it if they play numbers 1-11.

If Hodgson did play 1-11 he is making some blunder playing Gerrard and Lampard in the same team! Can't see it happening tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Landon Donovan has been left out of the US squad. Shocked at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

dreamers75 wrote: »
    England Squad Numbers out, BBC think Roy may like an old schooled numbered team...so....

..........................1. Joe Hart,
    2.Glen Johnson, 5. Gary Cahill, 6. Phil Jagielka, 3. Leighton Baines,
    ..........................4. Steven Gerrard,
    .............7. Jack Wilshere, 8. Frank Lampard,
    9. Daniel Sturridge, 10. Wayne Rooney, 11. Daniel Welbeck,

Putting Lampard in ahead of Henderson when Gerrard is your holding midfielder is not going to end well!

I'd have Henderson, Lallana and Sterling ahead of Lampard, Wilshere and Welbeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The only thing about Welbeck is that he seems to play well for England regularly. Also Sturridge only scored twice for England and he didn't play a whole lot either.

It's hard to say what team he'll go with but I can definitely see both Lampard and Welbeck starting. Did Sterling even play for England during the qualifiers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Numbers 15, 16, 17, 20 and 22 started England's opening game of Euro 2012 under Hodgson.

Just in case anybody thinks that numbers 1-11 are his first choice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Lars Bender out of world cup with thigh strain.

• Advertisement
Advertisement