Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Spain squad
    Goalkeeper: Casillas, de Gea, Reina

Defenders: Ramos, Piqué, Albiol, Javi Martínez, Jordi Alba, Juanfran, Azpilicueta

Midfielders: Koke, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Iniesta, Cesc, Busquets, Cazorla, Mata, Silva

Forwards: Pedro, Villa, Costa, Torres

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Torres ?

Moreno missed the cut so his transfer might be speeded up to whoever he is going to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Llorente dropped and Torres isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭shano_88

No Negredo seems strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Carvajal is extremely lucky to miss out on that squad. Was easily as good as Juanfran last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I think Spain have made a big mistake not taking Navas. There is nobody in that squad that will be able to have such an energetic and alternative way of attacking than Navas. It could cost Spain against a stubborn defence.

I think Spain have made a big mistake not taking Navas. There is nobody in that squad that will be able to have such an energetic and alternative way of attacking than Navas. It could cost Spain against a stubborn defence.

True, always thought he was great off the bench, offers a very different approach being so direct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The dark horses for the World Cup are Croatia imo, was really impressed by them in the Euros even though they didn't progress past the group stage(two finalists in their group). I think they are stronger than they were at that tournament and they are an experienced squad now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Belgium are gonna win the world cup

Corholio wrote: »
    Carvajal is extremely lucky to miss out on that squad. Was easily as good as Juanfran last year.
    Juanfran was outstanding all year long, even played on the left for a few games due to injuries and was excellent.

Carvajal had a very good season but nowhere near the standard that Juanfran was at.

• Advertisement

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Belgium are gonna win the world cup
    I think they are too young and inexperienced, a developing squad that will be a serious threat in 2018 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

eagle eye wrote: »
    The dark horses for the World Cup are Croatia imo, was really impressed by them in the Euros even though they didn't progress past the group stage(two finalists in their group). I think they are stronger than they were at that tournament and they are an experienced squad now too.

I think they will beat Brazil in the opener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

dreamers75 wrote: »

11/1 is serious odds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

eagle eye wrote: »
    Juanfran was outstanding all year long, even played on the left for a few games due to injuries and was excellent.

Carvajal had a very good season but nowhere near the standard that Juanfran was at.

I definitely disagree. Carvajal was an inspired signing and was probably Real's most consistent performer along with Modric. Juanfran had a great season of course, but to say Carvajal was nowhere near the standard is ridiculous.

I think the 'fairytale' story with Atletico and 'big bad' Real can affect peoples view on players. Carvajal was one of the best right backs in Europe last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

dreamers75 wrote: »

The country would go into meltdown if that happened! Probably best for all involved if Brazil got to the semi finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Croatia will miss Mandzukic in the opener big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

England band banned - yipee!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10867067/World-Cup-2014-Englands-Three-Lions-supporters-band-likely-to-miss-out-on-as-organisers-refuse-to-let-them-play.html
    The England Band’s run of playing at every World Cup since 1998 appears to be over after the Football Association failed to convince World Cup organisers to lift a ban on instruments at this summer’s matches.

Members of the Three Lions’ official supporters’ band had been hoping to gain an exemption from the prohibition that has been placed on all musical instruments inside stadiums in Brazil.

However, Telegraph Sport has learnt that, despite representations from the FA to Fifa, the Sheffield-based brass band has been refused permission to play at England games, ending its run of major tournaments in which the country has featured dating back to France 98.

There are likely to be few tears shed over the ban amid what appears the growing unpopularity of the England Band in recent years. Indeed, when news first emerged in December that it was facing being unable to play at the country’s matches in Brazil, the social-media reaction was overwhelmingly positive.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

So we won't have to listen to the Great Escape then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/10868179/World-Cup-2014-Comedian-Simon-Brodkin-tries-to-gatecrash-England-squads-departure.html
    Simon Brodkin aka Lee Nelson and Jason Bent mingled with players while dressed as a memeber of the squad at Luton Airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

"And don't forget thats a game you can see exclusively live only with us here only on the BBC exclusively live on the 14th June. Set the date in your diary".

Has to be one of the more annoying bits of advertising from both BBC & ITV, something which they harp on about from early January. Seriously everyone in the UK that knows 50% of the games are on each station - they will switch on one station at match time, if its not there they will immediately switch to the other station to find the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ribery has an injury and he won't be going to Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

greendom wrote: »

Destro + Rossi out too...some amount of players missing thru injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

greendom wrote: »

May have been a little hasty. L'Équipe reported it but other reports state that a desision hasn't been made yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Always thought the bands added to the atmosphere but I suppose something had to be done after the vevuzalas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

I despise that great escape drone. It's absolutely dusgusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Neeson wrote: »
    I despise that great escape drone. It's absolutely dusgusting.

Seemed to be the only tune they played,ridiculously repetitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

seligehgit wrote: »
    Seemed to be the only tune they played,ridiculously repetitive.

Reminds me of the fund raising event Fr Ted had to get the roof fixed.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,652 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Löw is going to be the downfall of Germany

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Headshot wrote: »
    Löw is going to be the downfall of Germany

Wouldn't read too much into it yet. They only returned yesterday evening from their Trainingscamp, where they had 3 Units a day. They also are notorious for looking slightly dodgy in the last 2 games before any tournament. Biggest problem for them is Ozil, who looks completely off the pace.

This weekend Italy, France, Germany, Portugal & Russia all failed to win their test games. Most of them were probably just testing the last few players with doubts before having to announce their squads tomorrow, resting players with slight injuries etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

DubDani wrote: »
    Wouldn't read too much into it yet. They only returned yesterday evening from their Trainingscamp, where they had 3 Units a day. They also are notorious for looking slightly dodgy in the last 2 games before any tournament. Biggest problem for them is Ozil, who looks completely off the pace.

This weekend Italy, France, Germany, Portugal & Russia all failed to win their test games. Most of them were probably just testing the last few players with doubts before having to announce their squads tomorrow, resting players with slight injuries etc.

Typical excuses always used for European teams. Same excuses used for France, Italy, Serbia etc. before the last World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

This picture certainly struck a chord :(

10311716_10152186555742005_9015016422819748580_n.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Destro + Rossi out too...some amount of players missing thru injury

Those two aren't injured though, just didn't make the cut, stunned about Rossi. I can't believe they took Immoble ahead of him but maybe Prandelli thought he needed someone to lead the front line in case Mario gets injured.
    Immoble isn't exactly the tallest but he's good in the air and very strong.

Italy squad:
    Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Perin (Genoa), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain);

Defenders: Abate (Milan), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Darmian (Torino), De Sciglio (Milan), Paletta (Parma);

Midfielders: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Candreva (Lazio), De Rossi (Roma), Marchisio (Juventus), Thiago Motta (Paris St. Germain), Parolo (Parma), Pirlo (Juventus), Verratti (Paris St. Germain);

Forwards: Balotelli (Milan), Cassano (Parma), Cerci (Torino), Immobile (Torino), Insigne (Napoli).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

What time is the cut off for the squad announcements today?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think sirigu, motta and veratti are only the 4th, 5th and 6th players to not be playing for an italian club whilst going to the world cup for italy. That psg effect

klose wrote: »
    I think sirigu, motta and veratti are only the 4th, 5th and 6th players to not be playing for an italian club whilst going to the world cup for italy. That psg effect

Thats a bit mad. How many English players have played World Cups while not playing for an English club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

YayaBanana wrote: »
    Thats a bit mad. How many English players have played World Cups while not playing for an English club?

Hargreaves and Beckham are the only ones from recent years that I can think of. And Forester of Celtic this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Chris Waddle was at Marseille in 1990.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Disappointing that Rossi didn't make the cut. He's a superb goalscorer and a player who I fancied one day could have a big World Cup and score a lot of goals.

I'm surprised they didn't bring him as I think you can afford one risk in your striking options, and he could easily have been one that wuold pay off.

A lesson in not betting until squads are confrimed as I throw a couple of euro on him at 80/1 last week :o

Hargreaves and Beckham are the only ones from recent years that I can think of. And Forester of Celtic this time
    Chris Waddle was at Marseille in 1990.

Terry Butcher, Chris Woods, Gary Stevens, Trevor Steven were all with Rangers in '90
    Possibly Ray Wilkins and Trevor Francis too in 86 and 82

Were Tony Woodcock and Mark Hateley in WC Squads when playing abroad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

Morzadec wrote: »

A lesson in not betting until squads are confrimed as I throw a couple of euro on him at 80/1 last week :o

Will that not be voided?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭roanoke

England player at WC from non-English clubs

Gerry Hitchens Italy Internazionale Milano F.C.

Tony Woodcock West Germany FC Köln

Ray Wilkins Italy Milan
    Mark Hateley Italy Milan

Gary Stevens Scotland Rangers
    Terry Butcher Scotland Rangers
    Chris Waddle France Marseille
    Chris Woods Scotland Rangers
    Trevor Steven Scotland Rangers

Owen Hargreaves Germany Bayern Munich

David Beckham (c) Spain Real Madrid
    Owen Hargreaves Germany Bayern Munich

Interestingly Rep. Ireland is on the other end of the spectrum. It's the only country to have never brought a domestic player to the finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Seaneh wrote: »
    Those two aren't injured though, just didn't make the cut, stunned about Rossi. I can't believe they took Immoble ahead of him but maybe Prandelli thought he needed someone to lead the front line in case Mario gets injured.
    Immoble isn't exactly the tallest but he's good in the air and very strong.

Italy squad:
    Goalkeepers: Buffon (Juventus), Perin (Genoa), Sirigu (Paris St. Germain);

Defenders: Abate (Milan), Barzagli (Juventus), Bonucci (Juventus), Chiellini (Juventus), Darmian (Torino), De Sciglio (Milan), Paletta (Parma);

Midfielders: Aquilani (Fiorentina), Candreva (Lazio), De Rossi (Roma), Marchisio (Juventus), Thiago Motta (Paris St. Germain), Parolo (Parma), Pirlo (Juventus), Verratti (Paris St. Germain);

Forwards: Balotelli (Milan), Cassano (Parma), Cerci (Torino), Immobile (Torino), Insigne (Napoli).

You're stunned that Prandelli is taking the Serie A top goal scorer over a guy who's been injured for most of the season???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

kfallon wrote: »
    What time is the cut off for the squad announcements today?

11pm deadline for registration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

You're stunned that Prandelli is taking the Serie A top goal scorer over a guy who's been injured for most of the season???

Was just about to post the same thing, I think hes a nice each way bet for top goal scorer at 80/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Germany and leow have cut schmelzer, volland and mustafi so their squad looks like this

GKS
    Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover)

Defenders
    Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Kevin Grosskreuzt (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (FC Schalke), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal)

Midfielders
    Julian Draxler (Schalke), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Christoph Kramer (Borussia Monchengladbach), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich),

Strikers
    Miroslav Klose (Lazio

Mah man klose is the only recognised striker going but there is of course a host of wide/attackng mids who could also play there and assumably will. They've thrown a bit of a curve ball with regards to lb, durm naturally plays there but he is young enough and inexperienced, jack of all trades Grosskreuzt can also play there, lahm too athough it means playing boateng at right back.

Despite his goalscoring this season I really don't think Ciro is a top level striker I've been watching him play for 6 years not and nothing he's done has convinced me otherwise, if he moves to Dortmund I can't see him being first choice striker. He's good, but he's not great. Rossi is a much, much better player and if he's fit I'd pick him every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Midfielders
    Julian Draxler (Schalke), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Christoph Kramer (Borussia Monchengladbach), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich),

That midfield is an embarrassment of riches

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Was just about to post the same thing, I think hes a nice each way bet for top goal scorer at 80/1.

He won't start, how will he be top scorer?

GKS
    Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover)

Defenders
    Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Kevin Grosskreuzt (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (FC Schalke), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal)

Midfielders

Strikers
    Miroslav Klose (Lazio

Few of those could be moved from one area to another.

Ginter could be in with the defenders and Podolski, Rues and Muller could all be listed as strikers.

Crazy strong squad.

Anyone wanna predict a starting XI?

• Advertisement
Advertisement