Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

klose wrote: »
    Mah man klose is the only recognised striker going but there is of course a host of wide/attackng mids who could also play there and assumably will. They've thrown a bit of a curve ball with regards to lb, durm naturally plays there but he is young enough and inexperienced, jack of all trades Grosskreuzt can also play there, lahm too athough it means playing boateng at right back.

Loew has yesterday 100% ruled out that either Boateng or Lahm will be playing LB. To me it looks as if they will go with Durm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Seaneh wrote: »
    Few of those could be moved from one area to another.

Ginter could be in with the defenders and Podolski, Rues and Muller could all be listed as strikers.

Crazy strong squad.

Anyone wanna predict a starting XI?

I'll have a go

Neuer
    Lahm-Boateng-Hummels-Durm
    Khedira
    ----Schweinsteiger-Kroos
    Ozil-Muller-Reus

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Morzadec wrote: »
    Disappointing that Rossi didn't make the cut. He's a superb goalscorer and a player who I fancied one day could have a big World Cup and score a lot of goals.

I'm surprised they didn't bring him as I think you can afford one risk in your striking options, and he could easily have been one that wuold pay off.

A lesson in not betting until squads are confrimed as I throw a couple of euro on him at 80/1 last week :o

My biggest reason for being surprised is that when he was out injured Prandelli said in an interview "we will wait for him and if he's fit he will come".

He's fit, and he's not coming, I can see why Rossi is pissed, rumours he will retire from international football now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Germany could have used with another out and out striker. Not many options with Gomez injured, Kiessling won't play for Low, but could have gone with Kruse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Neuer
    Boateng Hummels Mertesacker Lahm
    Khedira
    Kroos Schweni
    Muller Ozil Reus

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

klose wrote: »
    Germany and leow have cut schmelzer, volland and mustafi so their squad looks like this

GKS
    Manuel Neuer (Bayern Munich), Roman Weidenfeller (Borussia Dortmund), Ron-Robert Zieler (Hannover)

Defenders
    Jerome Boateng (Bayern Munich), Erik Durm (Borussia Dortmund), Kevin Grosskreuzt (Borussia Dortmund), Benedikt Howedes (FC Schalke), Mats Hummels (Borussia Dortmund), Philipp Lahm (Bayern Munich), Per Mertesacker (Arsenal)

Midfielders
    Julian Draxler (Schalke), Matthias Ginter (Freiburg), Mario Gotze (Bayern Munich), Christoph Kramer (Borussia Monchengladbach), Sami Khedira (Real Madrid), Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich), Thomas Muller (Bayern Munich), Mesut Ozil (Arsenal), Lukas Podolski (Arsenal), Marco Reus (Borussia Dortmund), Andre Schurrle (Chelsea), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Bayern Munich),

Strikers
    Miroslav Klose (Lazio

Mah man klose is the only recognised striker going but there is of course a host of wide/attackng mids who could also play there and assumably will. They've thrown a bit of a curve ball with regards to lb, durm naturally plays there but he is young enough and inexperienced, jack of all trades Grosskreuzt can also play there, lahm too athough it means playing boateng at right back.

Neur

Lahm---Hummells---Per
    Grosskreuzt

---Schwein
    Khedira

Muller
    Kroos
    Reus

Klose

Picking that midfield gave me a headache! Gonna go out on a limb and say Ozil is gonna be dropped..hasnt been at the races for 6 months and plenty of suitable replacements. Killed me having to leave out Gotze, but Low seems to like Muller. Think Klose will start too.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Jordonvito wrote: »

Neur

Lahm---Hummells---Per
    Grosskreuzt

---Schwein
    Khedira

Muller
    Kroos
    Reus

Klose

Picking that midfield gave me a headache! Gonna go out on a limb and say Ozil is gonna be dropped..hasnt been at the races for 6 months and plenty of suitable replacements. Killed me having to leave out Gotze, but Low seems to like Muller. Think Klose will start too.

have to disagree

i think picking durm over schmelzer is huge to be honest and will definetely mean Durm is on from the start. Schweiney and Khedira both coming back from injuries so wont play together. more likely Khedira and Kroos. one of Podolski and Ozil will def start. remember Podolskis record here guys 113 caps-43 goals. Doesnt matter what his club form is like.
    my team for first game-

neuer

boateng per hummels durm
    Lahm kroos
    Reus Ozil Podolski
    Muller

with Goetze,klose,schurrle,schwein,khedira all on bench. if all fit and team progresses to finals then,

Neuer
    Lahm per hummels durm
    Khedira Kroos/Schwein
    Reus Ozil Podolski
    Muller/Klose/Goetze

semi final at best for me

Very funny video here especially the John Terry reference :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

greendom wrote: »
    Ribery has an injury and he won't be going to Brazil

Maybe he will bring Nasri instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Reports in Argentina suggest that Banega, Sosa and Otamendi won't make the cut.

@eaamaylon
    One Argentine radio report saying Sosa, Banega(!) and Otamendi are final three chopped. Not great decision IMO.

Banega and Sosa out would be very surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Anyone got any good apps for the World Cup (TM), you know teams, TV schedule, groups etc/ I have downloaded the FIFA one, but have yet to peruse it fully.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Paully D wrote: »
    Reports in Argentina suggest that Banega, Sosa and Otamendi won't make the cut.

@eaamaylon
    One Argentine radio report saying Sosa, Banega(!) and Otamendi are final three chopped. Not great decision IMO.

Banega and Sosa out would be very surprising.

Banega has been horrible this year in the Arg league, really poor..and is recovering from a lung infection. He is in bad shape both physically and mentally. Good call.

Sosa, the view is that he trained badly in the camp and was poor towards the end of the season. Didnt put his hand up basically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Falcao out of the world cup.

I am pie wrote: »
    Banega has been horrible this year in the Arg league, really poor..and is recovering from a lung infection. He is in bad shape both physically and mentally. Good call.

Sosa, the view is that he trained badly in the camp and was poor towards the end of the season. Didnt put his hand up basically.

Ah, cheers. I'd read that Banega was almost a shoe-in previously, hence my surprise. On another note I read that Sunderland are trying to sign him this summer, no idea as to the truth in it but a few places seem to be running it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

"Falcout" should be a cheap headline somewhere.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know of any documentary type shows that cover previous World Cups? A run through of the different games with a bit of narration or comment, sort of like Premier League Years? I'd be most interested in 1998, 2002 and 2006. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Columbia will be fine without falcao seeing as ultimate team god victor ibarbo is going....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Watch with the subtitles turned on

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Anyone got any good apps for the World Cup (TM), you know teams, TV schedule, groups etc/ I have downloaded the FIFA one, but have yet to peruse it fully.

Any suggestions?

Probably not what you're looking for but Stats Zone might be a handy one to have for the tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Ah, cheers. I'd read that Banega was almost a shoe-in previously, hence my surprise. On another note I read that Sunderland are trying to sign him this summer, no idea as to the truth in it but a few places seem to be running it.

Did Scocco get a game at all? thought he might struggle...still a decent player.

If someone can get hold of Banega there is a good player in there, mentally he's in need of some developing. very bad luck to get a lung infection so close to the final selection, seems a bit cursed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭deise_boi

Does anyone know of any documentary type shows that cover previous World Cups? A run through of the different games with a bit of narration or comment, sort of like Premier League Years? I'd be most interested in 1998, 2002 and 2006. Thanks.

The FIFA official World Cup films used to air on ESPN regularly. They're really in depth and brilliantly made. I'm sure they can be found online somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Maxi is going to the world cup, thats brilliant :D always liked him since that goal against Mexico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

BT or ESPN were showing the Official Film from 1982 (Sean Connery narrating) last night at 10pm, I'd say there's a fair chance they will be showing the rest of the official films between now and kick off on June 12th

EDIT: Official '86 film is on BT tonight at 5.30pm and again at 10.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭vidor

Know if they've shown '58 yet? No doubt they have but I missed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

vidor wrote: »
    Know if they've shown '58 yet? No doubt they have but I missed it.

Think they are going in order saw 1970 few nights agao and watched 82 last night. Man That Brazil team bottled it. italy were excellent, some tackles in that final.

86 tonight and El diego!

aodea wrote: »
    86 tonight and El diego!

And '02 and Ronaldo......they are the 2 I want to see the most!

kfallon wrote: »
    And '02 and Ronaldo......they are the 2 I want to see the most!

Have to say i have a soft spot for the 1990 world cup as well. Loved that Germany team.

Have to say i have a soft spot for the 1990 world cup as well. Loved that Germany team.

It was prob the first tournament where I watched nearly every game but it wasn't very entertaining, a low scoring tournament if I remember correctly. Probably fitting given it was hosted by Italy!

It was prob the first tournament where I watched nearly every game but it wasn't very entertaining, a low scoring tournament if I remember correctly. Probably fitting given it was hosted by Italy!

yeah bopth semi-finals decided on pens and world cup final won by a peno. Was just littered with players i loved, hagi, Matthuas, Schifo, baggio(wonder goal against yougalslvia or the chechs or someone), Maradona, Canniga, Gazza.

yeah bopth semi-finals decided on pens and world cup final won by a peno. Was just littered with players i loved, hagi, Matthuas, Schifo, baggio(wonder goal against yougalslvia or the chechs or someone), Maradona, Canniga, Gazza.

How can you forget Stoijkovic, his frist goal against Spain is one of my fav ever WC goals!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Stats hey...

"Robbie Keane: One World Cup, three goals. Cristiano Ronaldo: Two World Cups, two goals. Lionel Messi: Two World Cups, one goal."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Stats hey...

"Robbie Keane: One World Cup, three goals. Cristiano Ronaldo: Two World Cups, two goals. Lionel Messi: Two World Cups, one goal."

There's the truth, the lies and then there is statistics

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

This day next week Im flying out for 2 weeks of the world cup. 4 nights in rio watching the brazil croatia game on the copacabana is going to be epic, and then up to natal for usa ghana and japan greece not the most glamarous of games but knew I was basing myself in natal before the draw was made.Having said that supposedly usa have 25,000 fans going the biggest travelling support so should be good crack at that game. Still trying to get a ticket for uruguay italy which is on the day before i fly home there is another sales phase tonight so here is hoping. They have built a new airport in natal opened may 31 and supposedly the access roads arent fully complete and they havent allowed international flights to land their yet due to customs issues. The natal stadium loks great on that 4 4 2 guide 44,000 capacity its a pity both natal teams are usually in serie B and only have a support of about 5,000 the stadium will be a bit of a waste after the WC.

How can you forget Stoijkovic, his frist goal against Spain is one of my fav ever WC goals!

Here is a reminder.....his 2nd goal wasn't bad either

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

This day next week Im flying out for 2 weeks of the world cup. 4 nights in rio watching the brazil croatia game on the copacabana is going to be epic, and then up to natal for usa ghana and japan greece not the most glamarous of games but knew I was basing myself in natal before the draw was made.Having said that supposedly usa have 25,000 fans going the biggest travelling support so should be good crack at that game. Still trying to get a ticket for uruguay italy which is on the day before i fly home there is another sales phase tonight so here is hoping. They have built a new airport in natal opened may 31 and supposedly the access roads arent fully complete and they havent allowed international flights to land their yet due to customs issues. The natal stadium loks great on that 4 4 2 guide 44,000 capacity its a pity both natal teams are usually in serie B and only have a support of about 5,000 the stadium will be a bit of a waste after the WC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

xtal191 wrote: »

Great read whenever you have the time, some work put into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Looking at the pitch here in the Brazil vs Panama game, I really hope the standard of pitches in the competition will be better than this one, the bobbles are plain to see, it's cutting up already and the ball is running slowly on it.

Brazil's golden boy opens the scoring with a sublime freekick, which he also won. Just a moment ago he produced a quite brilliant piece of skill too, he really could be the player that lights up this tournament, this could go down as Neymar's World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Brazil's golden boy opens the scoring with a sublime freekick, which he also won. Just a moment ago he produced a quite brilliant piece of skill too, he really could be the player that lights up this tournament, this could go down as Neymar's World Cup.

I see the hyberbole is beginning a week early for this tournament... You cheering for Spain or Brazil? Or just fanboying Barcelona and Chelsea players?

I see the hyberbole is beginning a week early for this tournament... You cheering for Spain or Brazil? Or just fanboying Barcelona and Chelsea players?

I will very much be in the Spain camp (as always), I think it's safe to say that there is no reason for me to explain that decision as I think we are all aware of my opinions on football philosophy.

I will of course be hoping players from Chelsea and Barcelona do well at that tournament, speaking of which, Dani Alves doubles the Brazilian lead with a quite neat low drive from outside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

I will very much be in the Spain camp (as always), I think it's safe to say that there is no reason for me to explain that decision as I think we are all aware of my opinions on football philosophy.

I will of course be hoping players from Chelsea and Barcelona do well at that tournament, speaking of which, Dani Alves doubles the Brazilian lead with a quite neat low drive from outside the box.

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

not really u follow Barca & Chelsea who both play 2 completley different styles of football.

MD1990 wrote: »
    not really u follow Barca & Chelsea who both play 2 completley different styles of football.

For different reasons, again which have been previously explained on this forum and which I feel we need not clog up the World Cup thread with.

Meanwhile in more relevant news, Neymar produces another typical flash of brilliance, his backheel finds Hulk whose outside the foot smash finds the net.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It was supposed to have been Neymar's league too last season - that went well.

• Advertisement

Corholio wrote: »
    It was supposed to have been Neymar's league too last season - that went well.

Vastly different scenarios. This is a team built around Neymar, playing in a style he is entirely comfortable with at the moment.

Vastly different scenarios. This is a team built around Neymar, playing in a style he is entirely comfortable with at the moment.

Not at all. He under performed last season in still a very attacking team. He doesn't have to have a team built around him to play well, and if he does, well that says more about the player than it does the teams he plays with.

I'm a fan of Neymar by the way, but unquestionably he did not perform in games last season, regardless of team set up.

Corholio wrote: »
    Not at all. He under performed last season in still a very attacking team. He doesn't have to have a team built around him to play well, and if he does, well that says more about the player than it does the teams he plays with.

I'm a fan of Neymar by the way, but unquestionably he did not perform in games last season, regardless of team set up.

I'm sorry but that is such a simplistic view, if you can't see the difference between how Brazil play compared to how Barcelona play, and how transitioning from Brazil to Barcelona might have difficulties then really there's little point in continuing the conversation. Messi has 2 teams built around him, Ronaldo has 2 teams built around him, Ibrahimovic has 2 teams built around him, what does that say about those players?

He didn't do too badly, in any case I absolutely believe that he will prove to be a great Barcelona player given the time.

Neymar with another big hand in Brazil's 4th goal, his dribble and disguised pass cut Panama open. Willian side foots it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I'm sorry but that is such a simplistic view, if you can't see the difference between how Brazil play compared to how Barcelona play, and how transitioning from Brazil to Barcelona might have difficulties then really there's little point in continuing the conversation. Messi has 2 teams built around him, Ronaldo has 2 teams built around him, Ibrahimovic has 2 teams built around him, what does that say about those players?

He didn't do too badly, in any case I absolutely believe that he will prove to be a great Barcelona player given the time.

Neymar with another big hand in Brazil's 4th goal, his dribble and disguised pass cut Panama open. Willian side foots it in.

It's only Panama in fairness, he'll be up against much tougher opposition in a couple of weeks.

Why when anyone disagrees with you do use the '...then there's no point in continuing the conversation' spiel. It's ridiculous. You'd swear Barcelona never passed him the ball or something. He probably will have a better season next year, I just don't know why your like garlic to any criticism of a Barca player.

You obviously completely missed the my point about players built around them. The difference is those players played fantastic enough to have those teams built around them and perform with both teams. Not having a team built around you is no excuse for not performing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement