Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World Cup 2014 Super Thread copyright warning #1645

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Meglamonia wrote: »
    It's only Panama in fairness, he'll be up against much tougher opposition in a couple of weeks.

Certainly there'll be tougher opposition to come for Neymar, but Panama aren't the pushovers you might believe, they have a quite decent FIFA ranking and came very close to reaching a play off to get to the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

They say all the women in Brazil want to have Neymar's babies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Neeson wrote: »
    They say all the women in Brazil want to have Neymar's babies.

They'll have to give his dad some money first before they do though :pac:

Corholio wrote: »
    Why when anyone disagrees with you do use the '...then there's no point in continuing the conversation' spiel. It's ridiculous. You'd swear Barcelona never passed him the ball or something. He probably will have a better season next year, I just don't know why your like garlic to any criticism of a Barca player.

You obviously completely missed the my point about players built around them. The difference is those players played fantastic enough to have those teams built around them and perform with both teams. Not having a team built around you is no excuse for not performing.

It's far more than "they didn't pass him the ball." Perhaps I am being a bit harsh but really in terms of top class football teams, the difference between this Brazil side and this Barcelona side is really quite pronounced, I'd rather not go into great length about it as I believe it would be a waste of time in stating the obvious, ironically my explanation for not wishing to go into great depth has taken time too.

And Neymar isn't fantastic enough to have this Brazil team built around him? Somebody should tell Menez, now Scolari, and the entire nation of Brazil and then find a replacement that they can build the side around. His performances at the Confederations Cup haven't been bad meanwhile he is now Brazil's highest scorer in the 21st century, overtaking Ronaldo, not bad, given his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Oh the selecao have comprehensively beaten Panama in a breath-taking display of attacking football spear-headed by the one and only Neymar,the god of Brazilian football, the inferior opposition couldn't get near him with his dazzling skills.

This is a Brazilian team only gearing up towards their road to Rio ready to wipe out any opposition that comes before them.As seen tonight merciless in attack only showing a glimpse of what is to come. Splitting the great Panama defense at will like a hot knife through butter.

This is an outstanding Brazilian team, the world will be set alight when Brazil's golden boy Neymar is unleashed onto the world stage,Il joga bonito!

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Oh the selecao have comprehensively beaten Panama in a breath-taking display of attacking football spear-headed by the one and only Neymar,the god of Brazilian football, the inferior opposition couldn't get near him with his dazzling skills.

This is a Brazilian team only gearing up towards their road to Rio ready to wipe out any opposition that comes before them.As seen tonight merciless in attack only showing a glimpse of what is to come. Splitting the great Panama defense at will like a hot knife through butter.

This is an outstanding Brazilian team, the world will be set alight when Brazil's golden boy Neymar is unleashed onto the world stage,Il joga bonito!

Personally I fancy La Roja but that Brazil side is formidable. Ferocious in it's pressing, aggressive in it's tackling, an impressive mix of athleticism and creativity with much of the genius emanating from Brazil's boy-wonder Neymar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

His performances at the Confederations Cup haven't been bad meanwhile he is now Brazil's highest scorer in the 21st century, overtaking Ronaldo, not bad, given his age.

Now there's a laughable statistic considering Ronaldo scored the majority of his goals for Brazil before the turn of the millennium?

Now there's a laughable statistic considering Ronaldo scored the majority of his goals for Brazil before the turn of the millennium?

Yes he did. Meanwhile Neymar is currently 22. He isn't even a striker. He's appeared 48 times for his country, he has 31 goals. In this century players such as Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Luis Fabiano, Adriano, Robinho, Pato and probably more that I am forgetting have all played and scored for Brazil in this century. I simply don't understand why you can't/don't appreciate the 22 year old wingers phenomenal record.

Yes he did. Meanwhile Neymar is currently 22. He isn't even a striker. He's appeared 48 times for his country, he has 31 goals. In this century players such as Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Ronaldinho, Kaka, Luis Fabiano, Adriano, Robinho, Pato and probably more that I am forgetting have all played and scored for Brazil in this century. I simply don't understand why you can't/don't appreciate the 22 year old wingers phenomenal record.

I can appreciate his excellent record for his country but it's this nonsense hype that you're creating that I find bizarre.

What about Barcelona's illegal dealings with regards to buying the player?

What about the fact that he was very underwhelming in many domestic performances and anonymous in several Champions League games?

What about the fact that he's a notorious diver and cheat?

I think it's all set up for him to have a good World Cup and I enjoy watching him play (apart from his cheating and feigning injuries) but you're far too biased in your opinions for my liking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Neymar is a fantastic player and he has scored against top teams like Spain, Germany and Argentina. He might not have settled in fully at Barca yet but I'm sure he will. He will be one of the stars of this world cup even though I don't think Brazil will win it. I don't understand how anybody doubts his ability at international level with all that he has done in such a short time playing for his country.

• Advertisement

I can appreciate his excellent record for the club but it's this nonsense hype that you're creating that I find bizarre.

What about Barcelona's illegal dealings with regards to buying the player?

What about the fact that he was very underwhelming in many domestic performances and anonymous in several Champions League games?

What about the fact that he's a notorious diver and cheat?

I think it's all set up for him to have a good World Cup and I enjoy watching him play (apart from his cheating and feigning injuries) but you're far too biased in your opinions for my liking.

I appear to have missed a rather significant chapter of this saga because I was quite clearly talking about his stunning goal ratio for Brazil and about the record which he broke with his goal tonight and yet suddenly you have entirely ignored all of that and gone onto his club performances.

1. I'm not sure exactly what that has to do with Neymar or indeed his performances for Brazil.

2. Again, I'm not sure how that affects his incredible record for his national team (the topic of what we were talking about) but the negativity surrounding his first season has been overhyped, as someone who actually watched it I can safely say it was decent, occasionally even excellent and that, given the time and the right support, he can become a great player for Barcelona, perhaps even in time, the great player at Barcelona.

3. Ok how many top attacking players can you name that you've never seen dive/exaggerate contact/make a claim for a decision when it's blatantly obvious that they are lying to gain an advantage for their team?

Perhaps I am biased but I also attempt to remain on topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Damn Chrome has messed up my links, thought this was the World Cup thread not the Neymar discussion thread :P

I appear to have missed a rather significant chapter of this saga because I was quite clearly talking about his stunning goal ratio for Brazil and about the record which he broke with his goal tonight and yet suddenly you have entirely ignored all of that and gone onto his club performances.

1. I'm not sure exactly what that has to do with Neymar or indeed his performances for Brazil.

2. Again, I'm not sure how that affects his incredible record for his national team (the topic of what we were talking about) but the negativity surrounding his first season has been overhyped, as someone who actually watched it I can safely say it was decent, occasionally even excellent and that, given the time and the right support, he can become a great player for Barcelona, perhaps even in time, the great player at Barcelona.

3. Ok how many top attacking players can you name that you've never seen dive/exaggerate contact/make a claim for a decision when it's blatantly obvious that they are lying to gain an advantage for their team?

Perhaps I am biased but I also attempt to remain on topic.
    I wrote club instead of country there by mistake, I do think is record for Brazil is impressive and that he's a very good player but it's your general hyperbole and exaggerations that I find bemusing. If you're not in awe of Spain's possession stats then you're giddy about Neymar scoring against Panama.

I'd say you must have spent a fortune on underwear over the last few years you've probably creamed yourself that much over Spain and Barca winning a few titles.

Without trying to get the last jab, I saw plenty of him this season and he was far from excellent.

And trying to justify Neymar's cheating by saying that everybody else is at it as well is ridiculous. I'm not going to start naming top attacking players who don't cheat when the fact is there are very few, if any, who do it as consistently and blatantly as he does.
    Liamalone wrote: »
    Damn Chrome has messed up my links, thought this was the World Cup thread not the Neymar discussion thread :P

I can see this being dragged out so I'll leave it as it is although I think discussing Neymar's performances for club and country is relative enough to the WC :)

I wrote club instead of country there by mistake, I do think is record for Brazil is impressive and that he's a very good player but it's your general hyperbole and exaggerations that I find bemusing. If you're not in awe of Spain's possession stats then you're giddy about Neymar scoring against Panama.

I'd say you must have spent a fortune on underwear over the last few years you've probably creamed yourself that much over Spain and Barca winning a few titles.

Without trying to get the last jab, I saw plenty of him this season and he was far from excellent.

And trying to justify Neymar's cheating by saying that everybody else is at it as well is ridiculous. I'm not going to start naming top attacking players who don't cheat when the fact is there are very few, if any, who do it as consistently and blatantly as he does.

I can see this being dragged out so I'll leave it as it is although I think discussing Neymar's performances for club and country is relative enough to the WC :)

Indeed I've had the foresight to buy a whole new set of underwear purely in preparation for this World Cup given how high my expectations are for Spain (and Neymar) at the competition.

Then you didn't see enough, he more than excelled in quite a few games last season. I expect more next season.

You can watch any game of football and over the course of 90 minutes you will see multiple examples of players feigning injury, exaggerating contact or blatantly lying to officials in an attempt to gain an advantage for their team (which, in any other sport would be classified as cheating or, at the very least, unsporting). Go ahead, watch any game at the World Cup and try not to find at least 3 examples.

It's far more than "they didn't pass him the ball." Perhaps I am being a bit harsh but really in terms of top class football teams, the difference between this Brazil side and this Barcelona side is really quite pronounced, I'd rather not go into great length about it as I believe it would be a waste of time in stating the obvious, ironically my explanation for not wishing to go into great depth has taken time too.

And Neymar isn't fantastic enough to have this Brazil team built around him? Somebody should tell Menez, now Scolari, and the entire nation of Brazil and then find a replacement that they can build the side around. His performances at the Confederations Cup haven't been bad meanwhile he is now Brazil's highest scorer in the 21st century, overtaking Ronaldo, not bad, given his age.

Thats not what I said at all. I said those players had teams (plural) built around them and had earned the fact that that happens. I was talking about Barcelona, of course he has the team built around him at Brazil. He's been their best attacking hope for years. I like Neymar, my original point above all this other side stuff, is that he didnt play well this season for Barcelona. The style of play is not a good enough reason for such a highly rated player to play poorly, of course he'll probably play better next year.

As for Neymar 'cheating', he does tend to exaggerate tackles a lot more than the average player. While I wouldnt be astounded, given the player, I'd be surprised you could argue against that with a straight face.

So....the World Cup yeah....

Corholio wrote: »
    Thats not what I said at all. I said those players had teams (plural) built around them and had earned the fact that that happens. I was talking about Barcelona, of course he has the team built around him at Brazil. He's been their best attacking hope for years. I like Neymar, my original point above all this other side stuff, is that he didnt play well this season for Barcelona. The style of play is not a good enough reason for such a highly rated player to play poorly, of course he'll probably play better next year.

As for Neymar 'cheating', he does tend to exaggerate tackles a lot more than the average player. While I wouldnt be astounded, given the player, I'd be surprised you could argue against that with a straight face.

So....the World Cup yeah....

So the style of play/football philosophy/system doesn't matter? The framework is just a throw away thing to be disregarded at will? Of course it has an impact, of course it will affect a player that young coming from South America and playing in a new league for the first time, even moreso because it is Barcelona and because the philosophy takes such precedence. I'd normally just let this kind of comment slide but I can't help but take issue with it. I'll use an example. Javier Mascherano is a fantastic player, he was fantastic at Liverpool in midfield, he is regularly fantastic for Argentina in midfield. Why isn't he fantastic for Barcelona in midfield? Infact why has he so rarely played in midfield for Barcelona? This is, afterall, an excellent player and yet he hasn't been allowed to play in his best position, why? Oh yes, the system, because as a midfielder he hasn't suited the system. To say that the system isn't a fair excuse for a player not performing is mind boggling, it's a massive reason for why any player may underperform or fail to fit in.

Of course I could because your claim is based on perception, made up rules and an undefined quantity calculator. How many rolls on the ground = 1 loud howl when tackled?

In any case, that's the last I have to say on this. Onwards and upwards to the World Cup!

So the style of play/football philosophy/system doesn't matter? The framework is just a throw away thing to be disregarded at will? Of course it has an impact, of course it will affect a player that young coming from South America and playing in a new league for the first time, even moreso because it is Barcelona and because the philosophy takes such precedence. I'd normally just let this kind of comment slide but I can't help but take issue with it. I'll use an example. Javier Mascherano is a fantastic player, he was fantastic at Liverpool in midfield, he is regularly fantastic for Argentina in midfield. Why isn't he fantastic for Barcelona in midfield? Infact why has he so rarely played in midfield for Barcelona? This is, afterall, an excellent player and yet he hasn't been allowed to play in his best position, why? Oh yes, the system, because as a midfielder he hasn't suited the system. To say that the system isn't a fair excuse for a player not performing is mind boggling, it's a massive reason for why any player may underperform or fail to fit in.

Of course I could because your claim is based on perception, made up rules and an undefined quantity calculator. How many rolls on the ground = 1 loud howl when tackled?

In any case, that's the last I have to say on this. Onwards and upwards to the World Cup!

I didn't say it doesn't matter, I said it's not an excuse. I also didn't say the system, I said the style of play. If your going to argue points, which is always fair enough, at least argue on what I actually said. The Mascherano-neymar comparison isn't bad, except for the fact I can never see Neymar playing in a completely different role to an attacking one, he was always be a forward player, in whatever guise that takes. I also don't think Neymar has a set best position either, he floated a bit for Santos from the left and has done that quite often for Brazil too.

But yes onto the World Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

To use a point that Neymar has been poor for Barca but the style of play does not suit him does not really hinder or have any relevance for what he will do for Brazil.

Maradona was not great for Barca but was the best player on the planet for Argentina. Brazil give Neymar more responsabilty and he thrives with it. The job he is asked to do for Barca does not really come into the equation> i think he was poor for Barca this year but i think its soley because he has been so pre occupied by this world cup. I feel you will see a differnt player for barca after this summer. he is rumored to have not wanted to go to europe till after the world cup in the first place.

Neymar looks like he has been able to leave barca form behind him and switch the level up a few gears. be great to watch this world cup.

Brazil look very good on the attack. they have a good unit much tougher tests lie ahead. You can say Panamas world ranking is ok but they were dreadful last night. Modric and co will offer a much better idfea of how this Brazil team will fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

The German's are quite pessimistic according to a few of the locals, Ozil in particular is acting the Bollix a bit with his father demanding money for everything especially interviews, the fact that his form has been dreadful this year and he was substituted against Cameroon the other night means he is not guaranteed a starting spot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rooney moved to left side with Barkley starting at the no 10 position in tonights game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Big jazza milner is playing right back too, who said the hodge wasn't pragmatic. ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I was wondering last night if Milner might play there. Taking seven defenders did make sense with Smalling and Jones able to cover there but this weakness is really going to show now.

Slightly surprised to see Rooney starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

England could definitely use Milner at right back. Johnson is such a weak link.

If I was Hodgson I'd start with this team against Italy
    Hart
    Milner Cahill Jagielka Baines
    Sterling Gerrard Henderson Welbeck
    Rooney Sturridge
    Not thrilled about Welbeck on the left but he constantly does the business for England. Hodgson didn't really play Sterling at all so it'll be interesting to see does he start against Italy. He'll definitely play Johnson at right back and Milner will probably start for England on one of the wings too.

Italy should really beat England tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

No way England will play 4-4-2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

patmac wrote: »
    The German's are quite pessimistic according to a few of the locals, Ozil in particular is acting the Bollix a bit with his father demanding money for everything especially interviews, the fact that his form has been dreadful this year and he was substituted against Cameroon the other night means he is not guaranteed a starting spot.

I don't really understand their pessimism. They have the best goalkeeper, defense & midfield in the competition.
    Neuer, Hummels, Lahm, Mertesacker, Boateng, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Ozil, kroos, draxler, Gotze, Reus, Muller.

Their only weakness seems to be in attack, relying on a 35 year old klose although Podolski could play that position too

Outside of Argentina, they are my favourites for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,590 ✭✭✭patmac

Will this be close to the starting line up against Italy? They seem particularly weak this year and with Rooney off-form and his lack of enthusiasm for football when he is away from home, they could struggle to make it out of the group.

leonidas83 wrote: »
    I don't really understand their pessimism. They have the best goalkeeper, defense & midfield in the competition.
    Neuer, Hummels, Lahm, Mertesacker, Boateng, Schweinsteiger, Khedira, Ozil, kroos, draxler, Gotze, Reus, Muller.

Their only weakness seems to be in attack, relying on a 35 year old klose although Podolski could play that position too

Best defense in the competition? How have they a better defense than Spain?
    How have they a better midfield than Spain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

eagle eye wrote: »

That and something which seems to get lost with all the attacking stereotypes is just how good Brazil can be defensively.

Or Brazil among others

Brazil have an excellent defense too but for me Spain are best because they exceptional cover for an injury at centre-back or full-back. Having Juanfran, Jordi Alba and Azpilicueta is pretty ridic and Ramos is also cover there as well. Then at centre-back you have Pique, Ramos and Javi Martinez with Raul Albiol who seems to have found a different level of form since moving to Italy.

Brazil probably have the best starting back four but they don't have the same level of cover as Spain. I don't like David Luiz at centre-back and I don't think their full-back cover is that good. I was surprised to see Maicon get picked ahead of Felipe Luis and Rafinha and if they had picked Miranda as centre-back cover I'd have them probably ahead of Spain as the best defense in the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Who's people suprise package the year gonna be? There's always one every WC... S.Korea. Bulgaria. Sweden. Turkey. etc
    We all know Belgium are shoe in for the dark horse title but what about the likes of the Ivory Coast/ Bosnia ?? Cant wait for it all to kick off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭xtal191

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Who's people suprise package the year gonna be? There's always one every WC... S.Korea. Bulgaria. Sweden. Turkey. etc
    We all know Belgium are shoe in for the dark horse title but what about the likes of the Ivory Coast/ Bosnia ?? Cant wait for it all to kick off.

Chile for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

xtal191 wrote: »
    Chile for me

Was thinking Chile too but then saw what group they're in. Depends what Holland turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

If Chile come second in their group they're likely meeting Brazil in the Round of 16 again. (like in 2010)
    Chile have only beaten Brazil once in their last 19 games. :eek

They're my favourite team to watch of the South American teams but they got screwed by the draw. :(

I think Croatia will do well as dark horses - but they'll probably run into Spain in the 2nd round

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Holland haven't as good a team as I thought and Strootman is a big loss, I think they'll get out of the group but beyond that not sure

I think Japan could be a surprise, defence is a problem but they have some technically gifted attacking players and play football that's great to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

switzerland and croatia are my dark horse predictions. belgium too if they count, though considering theyre fifth favourites they cant really be considered dark horses imo. croatia have a tough draw, switzerland could go far imo. they have a very mean defense and a decent amount of quality in the team and a reasonable draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

MR NINE wrote: »
    switzerland and croatia are my dark horse predictions. belgium too if they count, though considering theyre fifth favourites they cant really be considered dark horses imo. croatia have a tough draw, switzerland could go far imo. they have a very mean defense and a decent amount of quality in the team and a reasonable draw

1 defeat in 19 games shows they're in very good form too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Belgium are not a dark horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭LightningBlue

Holland haven't as good a team as I thought and Strootman is a big loss, I think they'll get out of the group but beyond that not sure

I think Japan could be a surprise, defence is a problem but they have some technically gifted attacking players and play football that's great to watch.

Agreed on Japan; they were brilliant to watch at the Confederations Cup last year especially the game against Italy.
    If they get out of the group they could easily get to the quarter finals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Germany 11-2 Spain 13-2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

Nerdlingr wrote: »

Croatia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

SlickRic wrote: »
    Belgium are not a dark horse.

Shocking how they are 6th favourites with the bookies.

Germany 11-2 Spain 13-2
    What has that got to do with my question?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Lads, will SkySports be covering a lot of the games live? Been thinking of getting rid of it but will hold off if they have a lot of those games

Corvo wrote: »
    Lads, will SkySports be covering a lot of the games live? Been thinking of getting rid of it but will hold off if they have a lot of those games
    BBC and ITV have all the games.

Corvo wrote: »
    Sky don't have any of the games at all.
    BBC and ITV have all the games.
    Plus RTE will have every single game live.

Can't stand listening to the commentary on ITV

Sky don't have any of the games at all.

Plus RTE will have every single game live.

Except the final group games. All teams in a group play at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Neeson wrote: »
    Except the final group games. All teams in a group play at the same time.

The other group games will be streamed live on RTE.ie I think.

Have one on the telly, stick the other on the laptop, that's how to do it ;)

kfallon wrote: »
    The other group games will be streamed live on RTE.ie I think.

Have one on the telly, stick the other on the laptop, that's how to do it ;)

That's true. They used to have the other game on BBC3 as well I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

For anyone who wants to watch Holland play Wales its on S4C and BBC2 Wales.

Advertisement