Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ducato / LMC camper. Advice please.

Options
  • 23-01-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all.
    Am looking for a slightly larger camper than our current model, which is a Westy Joker T25. Trying to get something decent for between 4 and 6 thousand.
    So I have been reading posts about the Fiat/Peugeot/ range of conversions, and have arranged to view a 1993 model LMC Liberty this weekend. Apart from rust in front cross-member and corroded brake lines, what should I look for?
    It has the 1.9 engine, any obvious signs of abuse that can be spotted easily?
    Any owners out there with a view about this Ducato/LMC combination, I would be delighted to hear your views.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Hello all.
    Am looking for a slightly larger camper than our current model, which is a Westy Joker T25. Trying to get something decent for between 4 and 6 thousand.
    So I have been reading posts about the Fiat/Peugeot/ range of conversions, and have arranged to view a 1993 model LMC Liberty this weekend. Apart from rust in front cross-member and corroded brake lines, what should I look for?
    It has the 1.9 engine, any obvious signs of abuse that can be spotted easily?
    Any owners out there with a view about this Ducato/LMC combination, I would be delighted to hear your views.

The only thing I'd say is its getting hard to get parts for those, I'd get that later model with a bigger engine if possible even the later model has unorderable parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭micko38

Hi I had a 97 Lcm camper. Overall it was a great built. The only problem I had with it was (and it was a big one) They use what is called an Alko torsion bar back axle which was siezed and left the back of the camper sitting very low & bottoming out ( hitting off the road) I could not find anywhere in Ireland to repair or replace the axle . It can be repaired or replaced on the continent at a huge cost. I would suggest to make sure if this axle system is used that it is in good working order & was well greased & maintained over the years. if the van is sitting low at the back run a mile! Best of luck:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

micko38 wrote: »
    Hi I had a 97 Lcm camper. Overall it was a great built. The only problem I had with it was (and it was a big one) They use what is called an Alko torsion bar back axle which was siezed and left the back of the camper sitting very low & bottoming out ( hitting off the road) I could not find anywhere in Ireland to repair or replace the axle . It can be repaired or replaced on the continent at a huge cost. I would suggest to make sure if this axle system is used that it is in good working order & was well greased & maintained over the years. if the van is sitting low at the back run a mile! Best of luck:)

This place is recommended alot, he has genuine and replacement torsion bars of all sorts of different types and will ship them anywhere. He'd certainly advise as to if it can be repaired.

http://www.caravan-parts.org/product.php/-alko-kobermotorhomeaxletorsionbars-alko-kobermotorhomeaxlerepairs-alkomotorhomeaxleparts-/?k=:::5309420

But I agree if the arse is low, the arse is sooooo low, as only an alkos arse can be then let someone else deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Who did you ask Micko? I've worked on and repaired those axles. It's just torsion bars like an older Peugeot at the end of the day.

@OP , tbh , as moodrater rightly says , parts availability is a big issue for the pre -94 Ducatos , rust not as bad as you might think , the crossmember issue is actually with the later , 95 on model . Why restrict yourself to an LMC? The older ones aren't bad , the quality dropped a bit on the newer ones sadly . at your budget , you won't find many good , rot free coach builts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah, after reading those posts, cancelled the viewing. So, have a vintage tractor I might let go and try and move up to a 99 0r 00 with the bigger engine. Not fixated on the LMC, just it was the first one I had arranged to see, and they seemed to have a reputation as a quality build. I have never seen under a torsion bar rear suspension, but I presume it is similar to Isuzu Trooper and Daihatsu fourtrak front suspensions? Do they have a beam axle or independent wishbones type? Anyway, will keep looking, and thanks for the info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

The standard axle is a rear beam on leaf springs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Thanks for that Aidan. Have had a google and see that the Alko is a type of indespension unit. (who remembers when Alko had a UK manufacturing baser, and made PTO driven log saws?) Springs a lot easier to maintain. Looking about for a 96ish on 4 to 6 berth, no panic at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Any pics of the Westy, and what kind of price is it going for?

Advertisement