Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Waters quits BAI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sadly I think him stepping down from the BAI was probably on solicitors advice vis a vie the possibility of him taking a case for defamation. Or is that just me being terribly cynical?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x19q67h_rory-oneill-the-saturday-night-show-11-1-2014_gaylesbian

This was the offending segment.

To be honest it was pretty clear that he was abusing his position by having that taken down, and RTE were far too quick rushing to the click of his fingers. The word 'spineless' comes to mind. Rory actually made a good case here and was quite balanced.

This is the normal sort of thing that goes on in his mind
    ^ tl;dr, women, know your place, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Asbury Park

P_1 wrote: »
    Sadly I think him stepping down from the BAI was probably on solicitors advice vis a vie the possibility of him taking a case for defamation. Or is that just me being terribly cynical?

Don't think you're being cynical; it was the first thing that crossed my mind also. In light of the responsibilities of BAI members, it would make perfect sense for Waters to resign if he plans on launching defamation proceedings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd say it's that and an attempt to put an end to the hullabaloo about him abusing his position for personal gain.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Don't think you're being cynical; it was the first thing that crossed my mind also. In light of the responsibilities of BAI members, it would make perfect sense for Waters to resign if he plans on launching defamation proceedings.
    I really hope that his previous witterings on gay marriage can be used an adequate defence of truth for O'Neill in any case. Though Irish defamation law is a curious thing. Who knows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Many years ago John Waters came to my school and was going around asking everyone in the class their names and where they were from. When he came to me I said "Homer Simpson from Springfield" and he made the teacher give me lines. True story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭burnhardlanger

I am literally crying as I read this thread.

A jibe about his infamous Katy 'personification of our fantasies' French article.

Carry On. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

bluewolf wrote: »
    'This is really a kind of satire on marriage which is being conducted by the gay lobby,' Waters said. ‘It’s not that they want to get married; they want to destroy the institution of marriage because they’re envious of it;
    ‘This is really an attempt to discredit an institution, the nominative institution on which society and human civilization is founded. If you do that there will be consequences, and one of them is that marriage will become a nothing;

‘It is a deliberate sabotage of the culture and the relishing of the destruction as a result. Gay marriage is a satire"

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Columnist-John-Waters-in-a-Panti-twist-over-anti-gay-claims.html#ixzz2rEqbnjOs
    Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

I did employ a bit of artistic licence. A bit.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Why would gay people want to destroy marriage if they are envious of it? Surely if you are envious of something you covet it - you don't want to destroy it.

I am envious of my next door neighbour's wife. I want to destroy her....but not in the traditional sense of the word.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,686 ✭✭✭✭Penn

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Many years ago John Waters came to my school and was going around asking everyone in the class their names and where they were from. When he came to me I said "Homer Simpson from Springfield" and he made the teacher give me lines. True story.

As if I didn't dislike him enough before...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    ...he made the teacher give me lines. True story.

FFS. I'd never get tired a' batin' him. He's a prick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I've quoted this tweet before in regards JW and his homophobia, it just makes me laugh everytime:
    John Waters has never really forgiven the gays for his Eurovision failure. Just saying.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

jimgoose wrote: »
    John Waters is possibly the most irritating, cringeworthy, whining pillock in the country, and I dearly wish he would go away.
    with the help of a cannon.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

As a member of the board, I don't think he was allowed to send legal threats if the comment has not been proved to be libelous.

Bit of an embarrassing incident for Waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Just watched that interview. I would be really surprised if that lad didn't end up in a court room over that.

Disgraceful rant was disgraceful. Should have counted to ten before he said anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Wibbs wrote: »
    with the help of a cannon.

Yes. Gloriously phallic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Just watched that interview. I would be really surprised if that lad didn't end up in a court room over that.

Disgraceful rant was disgraceful. Should have counted to ten before he said anything.

You get annoyed about rants in general or just those that speak out about homophobia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

You have got to be taking the piss

Links234 wrote: »
    You have got to be taking the piss

Why do you ask that?

Would you be fine with me calling you names on television?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

That's ridiculous. But, you know what? I hope he does end up in court room. Because he'll win. There was nothing defamatory about what he said and the way he said it.

What did he say wrong though? It was tactless of him to use a BAI member as an example (and a particularly touchy one at that) but thought it was one of the more balanced discussions on homosexuality in Ireland and think it educated a lot of people.

Bottom line, John Waters is blatantly homophobic. At least Rory was good enough to explain why that wasn't as doomed a phrase as everyone makes it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Why do you ask that?

He didn't call him names

• Registered Users Posts: 14,293 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

As a member of the board, I don't think he was allowed to send legal threats if the comment has not been proved to be libelous.

Bit of an embarrassing incident for Waters.

Water(s) off a ducks back.
    His entire life is a series of embarrassing incidents.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    What did he say wrong though? It was tactless of him to use a BAI member as an example (and a particularly touchy one at that) but thought it was one of the more balanced discussions on homosexuality in Ireland and think it educated a lot of people.

Don't get me wrong. I'll all for debate. It's great to have people voice an opinion on a subject. But I think everyone can comprehend that that was a rant. Taking swipes at people might be fine for twatter or boards. But on TV?

Dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Don't get me wrong. I'll all for debate. It's great to have people voice an opinion on a subject. But I think everyone can comprehend that that was a rant. Taking swipes at people might be fine for twatter or boards. But on TV?

Dodgy.

What was dodgy care to quote?

Dodgy.
    He correctly called out two people who are notorious for their comments in the past, pretty baseless and unconstructive comments, as per Iona's usual.

I'll add that they and their cronies have called Rory much worse. The usual 'how can I take an opnion seriously from a man who dresses like a woman, etc'
    In fairness now. It was a targeted attack that included name calling. Waters didn't get the right of reply.
    I think Mr. Waters has said pretty much everything he could say in regards to the topic. For some reason himself and Iona are more obsessed about gay issues than gay people are themselves at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Well in contrast to Waters' disgraceful and rather homophobic weekly rants, it's fairly mild mannered.

Links234 wrote: »
    He didn't call him names

In fairness now. It was a targeted attack that included name calling. Waters didn't get the right of reply.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Why do you ask that?

He said Waters and his ilk make anti gay comments online. This is true, its evidenced in this thread and any one of us can google you more evidence of Waters' vitriol in about 10 seconds.

I thought he was fair in what he said, and put his point across well. Not a rant in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Why do you ask that?

Would I say (based on your boards postings) you are homophobic? Yes

• Advertisement

Cydoniac wrote: »
    He correctly called out two people who are notorious for their comments in the past, pretty baseless and unconstructive comments, as per Iona's usual.

Theres two ways of seeing this.

Advertisement