Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Waters quits BAI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

In fairness now. It was a targeted attack that included name calling. Waters didn't get the right of reply.

Any quotes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

efb wrote: »
    Any quotes?

The video is posted up on the other page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Theres two ways of seeing this.
    No there aren't. Unless you can show me that they're open minded/tolerant on the subject (psst, they're not)

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2014/01/16/wisdom-is-bliss/
    Transcript for anyone interested.

Here's the part in question that got the attention
    The only place that you see it’s okay to be really horrible and mean about gays is you know on the internet in the comments and you know people who make a living writing opinion pieces for newspapers. You know there’s a couple of them that really cheese..”

BO’C: “Who are they?”

RO’N: “Oh well the obvious ones. You know Breda O’Brien [Irish Times Columnist] today, oh my God you know banging on about gay priests and all. The usual suspects, the John Waters and all of those people, the Iona Institute crowd. I mean I just..you know just…Feck Off! Get the hell out of my life. Get out of my life. I mean..[applause from audience] why…it astounds me…astounds me that there are people out there in the world who devote quite a large amount of their time and energies to trying to stop people you know, achieving happiness because that is what the people like the Iona Institute are at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Beardy weirdy

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Theres two ways of seeing this.
    Do you think JW is justified in sending a legal threat and having the video removed? Reasons why would be cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

In fairness now. It was a targeted attack that included name calling. Waters didn't get the right of reply.

It wasn't a targetted attack, and didn't include name calling. Waters didn't even ask for the right of reply, he abused his position in silencing criticism.

The video is posted up on the other page.

I want you to quote what you think is abuse

Oryx wrote: »
    Do you think JW is justified in sending a legal threat and having the video removed? Reasons why would be cool.

As far as I know, name calling isn't tolerated by most people. Maybe JW is fine with being called names on TV. Who knows.

I want you to quote what you think is abuse
    Good luck. Phill has a terrible habit of making claims and then not backing them up, and ignoring every time he's asked to clarify or back something up.

As far as I know, name calling isn't tolerated by most people. Maybe JW is fine with being called names on TV. Who knows.

Well his sols letter seems to indicate JW thinks himself beyond criticism

• Advertisement

He wasnt name called. He was mentioned because of his actions.

Maybe he is fine with being called names on TV, but we won't know, because he wasn't called names on TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Jebus to point out somebody's history of writing homophobic articles and to call them up on it is not the same as saying X is a homophobe without any supporting evidence.

Quote where he was called names. You claim it- put up or withdraw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Has Devine resigned in sympathy?

P_1 wrote: »
    Jebus to point out somebody's history of writing homophobic articles and to call them up on it is not the same as saying X is a homophobe without any supporting evidence.

Thats the other way of looking at it. I guess JW didn't see it that way.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Waters was a self-styled "right on" liberal back in circa 1975 but now he's just a right wing dinosaur reactionary who is still stuck in the 1970s while Ireland has long since moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Just watched that interview. I would be really surprised if that lad didn't end up in a court room over that.

Disgraceful rant was disgraceful. Should have counted to ten before he said anything.

There's always one person willing to defend the indefensible. Hi Phill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    Many years ago John Waters came to my school and was going around asking everyone in the class their names and where they were from. When he came to me I said "Homer Simpson from Springfield" and he made the teacher give me lines. True story.

Maybe he's a Simpsons nut and it was a ironic reference to Bart in the opening sequences . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

And the most polite way to describe JW's way of seeing it would have to be incredibly irrationally.

It's fairly simple, you publish articles spouting homophobic views and you are going to be pulled up on it.

• Advertisement

C'mon, nail your colours to the mast. Do you think he was right to threaten legal action, and to use his clout to have RTE remove the video?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Akrasia wrote: »
    and that's my question answered

Bertie again:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Well his sols letter seems to indicate JW thinks himself beyond criticism

What the flip is a sols letter?

What the flip is a sols letter?

Solicitors letter

Better call Saul

I guess JW didn't see it that way.

Frankly, I don't think Jawn can see a damn thing other than the inside of his own colon.

The man is a bully and a homophobe, and abused his position in the BAI. His claims that gay people are only out to destroy marriage and sabotage culture, those are not ideas that have come about from reason, those kinds of claims come from bigotry and small minded hatred. Keep in mind that these are other human beings that Jawn is talking about, people in all walks of life, and rather than having their own hopes and dreams and loves and goals the same as anyone, oh no, they are fiendish bogeymen set at destruction and sabotage. That's a very disturbing thing to say about anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Just watched that interview. I would be really surprised if that lad didn't end up in a court room over that.

Disgraceful rant was disgraceful. Should have counted to ten before he said anything.

Jaysus phill, you should try to go easier on the oul gay lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Man writes homophobic articles, is called out on being homophobic. Where's the issue?

P_1 wrote: »
    And the most polite way to describe JW's way of seeing it would have to be incredibly irrationally.

It's fairly simple, you publish articles spouting homophobic views and you are going to be pulled up on it.

I don't read JW. I'm not aware he is a homophobe. Isn't his ex wife bi-sexual?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Links234 wrote: »
    Frankly, I don't think Jawn can see a damn thing other than the inside of his own colon.

The man is a bully and a homophobe, and abused his position in the BAI. His claims that gay people are only out to destroy marriage and sabotage culture, those are not ideas that have come about from reason, those kinds of claims come from bigotry and small minded hatred. Keep in mind that these are other human beings that Jawn is talking about, people in all walks of life, and rather than having their own hopes and dreams and loves and goals the same as anyone, oh no, they are fiendish bogeymen set at destruction and sabotage. That's a very disturbing thing to say about anyone.

And misogynist. He's often too busy talking other crap to get digs in at the wimminz these days, but he's still a paid up member.

Advertisement