Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Waters quits BAI

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Man writes homophobic articles, is called out on being homophobic. Where's the issue?

Post up one of these articles so I can read it please. Don't/won't buy the inderpendent

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I don't read JW. I'm not aware he is a homophobe. Isn't his ex wife bi-sexual?

Read a few of his articles. He does a good line in misogynistic bigotry too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Yet the many links and quotes on this thread are not enough to Phill Ewinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Actually I do wonder if it'd be best to treat his articles like one would treat a troll. Ignore them, don't link to them and starve him of his oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

That must be why he doesn't like them, he's insecure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Nodin wrote: »
    And misogynist. He's often too busy talking other crap to get digs in at the wimminz these days, but he's still a paid up member.

Women, the gays, atheists, bloggers and wikipedia, there's so much Jawn hates that I can barely keep track of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Post up one of these articles so I can read it please. Don't/won't buy the inderpendent

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=88623093&postcount=31

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I do believe he has a hatred of keyboard journalists, like bloggers and posters. He would prefer that opinions and comments be by professional self opinionated journos like him.

Links234 wrote: »
    Women, the gays, atheists, bloggers and wikipedia, there's so much Jawn hates that I can barely keep track of.

True. Ever since a school girl beat him up and took his lunch money, he's been a bitter man.

JW article like?

Point out the homophobic bits too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

efb wrote: »

Is there any link that doesn't require a Facebook account to view it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

It is a good thing he has gone, I also think Patricia Casey's position/s is equally untenable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

bluewolf wrote: »
    'This is really a kind of satire on marriage which is being conducted by the gay lobby,' Waters said. ‘It’s not that they want to get married; they want to destroy the institution of marriage because they’re envious of it;
    ‘This is really an attempt to discredit an institution, the nominative institution on which society and human civilization is founded. If you do that there will be consequences, and one of them is that marriage will become a nothing;

‘It is a deliberate sabotage of the culture and the relishing of the destruction as a result. Gay marriage is a satire"

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Columnist-John-Waters-in-a-Panti-twist-over-anti-gay-claims.html#ixzz2rEqbnjOs
    Follow us: @IrishCentral on Twitter | IrishCentral on Facebook

Now if you'll excuse me I just have to nip off and have a child outside of marraige with Sinead O'Connor, which will in no way discredit the institution.

Ps. here is a sexy pic of me........... http://cf.broadsheet.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/watersnip.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

That kind of reasoning is along the same lines as "I'm not racist, I have a black friend"

Cydoniac wrote: »
    That kind of reasoning is along the same lines as "I'm not racist, I have a black friend"

??

JW article like?

" It's a bit rich of Waters to attempt to silence mild criticism of himself when he offers startlingly anti-gay criticism of others. It says a lot actually. In advocating against marriage rights for gay people in 2012 Waters famously found himself reduced to the specious old YOUR doughnut is making ME fat argument in a discussion with the College Tribune, based in University College Dublin.

'This is really a kind of satire on marriage which is being conducted by the gay lobby,' Waters said. ‘It’s not that they want to get married; they want to destroy the institution of marriage because they’re envious of it;

‘This is really an attempt to discredit an institution, the nominative institution on which society and human civilization is founded. If you do that there will be consequences, and one of them is that marriage will become a nothing;

‘It is a deliberate sabotage of the culture and the relishing of the destruction as a result. Gay marriage is a satire…. But sometimes you have to allow things to happen for the consequences to become obvious...'

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Columnist-John-Waters-in-a-Panti-twist-over-anti-gay-claims.html#ixzz2rFKXliHW

??
    You're suggesting that he can't be a homophobe if he had a bisexual wife.

This could be a reasonable debate if you didn't ignore every bit of evidence before you and conveniently forgetting to back up your own statements. Shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

JW article like?

Have you your name calling quotes?

What ex-wife?He's never married.

How is his ex-wife's orientation anyway relevant? Vladimir Putin says he has gay friends: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25799499 Do you honestly think Putin is not a homophobe?

Homophobic people using the "But I have a gay friend (or bisexual wife in this case)" line is pretty much the equivalent of "I'm not a racist but......"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

JW article like?

Older Irish Times articles are behind a pay wall.

However the post that Nodin linked to is perfectly illustrative of homophobia. He believes that same sex marriage will be exceedingly damaging and describes it as a satirical plot by a gay lobby(who don't wish to marry) to bring doom upon us all.

It's up there with antisemites blaming the wall street crash on Jews. Neither view has a rational grounding and all tend to be founded in bigotry. He has no facts to backup his views so instead relies on propaganda of doom.

" It's a bit rich of Waters to attempt to silence mild criticism of himself when he offers startlingly anti-gay criticism of others. It says a lot actually. In advocating against marriage rights for gay people in 2012 Waters famously found himself reduced to the specious old YOUR doughnut is making ME fat argument in a discussion with the College Tribune, based in University College Dublin.

‘It is a deliberate sabotage of the culture and the relishing of the destruction as a result. Gay marriage is a satire…. But sometimes you have to allow things to happen for the consequences to become obvious...'

Read more: http://www.irishcentral.com/opinion/cahirodoherty/Columnist-John-Waters-in-a-Panti-twist-over-anti-gay-claims.html#ixzz2rFKXliHW

The last few lines were badly put. About what I expect from the Indo!

Are you saying he's homophobic because he objects to gay marriage or are you saying he's homophobic because he hates gay people?

Plenty of gay people don't want gay marriage like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Shakti wrote: »
    It is a good thing he has gone, I also think Patricia Casey's position/s is equally untenable

Patricia Casey ? Is she involved with the BAI ?

That's such a weak argument! Some gay people don't want marriage but it's not for those reasons and they wouldn't begrudge others. You're completely unreasonable but that's no surprise given the discussions so far.

The last few lines were badly put. About what I expect from the Indo!.

It's not from the Indo.
    Are you saying he's homophobic because he objects to gay marriage or are you saying he's homophobic because he hates gay people? !.

We'll try again

He's saying Gays are trying to destroy marriage, essentially out of spite.

Plenty of straight people don't believe in marriage. No reason to ban it for everyone.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    That's such a weak argument! Some gay people don't want marriage but it's not for those reasons and they wouldn't begrudge others. You're completely unreasonable but that's no surprise given the discussions so far.

What's a weak argument?

I asked a question and put it into context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

What's a weak argument?

I asked a question and put it into context

You've yet to illustrate why his distinctly conspiratorial quotes aren't homophobic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Hmm...

I get the impression this gay marriage referendum (despite opinion polling showing a lot of support) is going to have a lot of sparks flying!
    Should be an interesting period of Irish political history.

The Government have set the date way too far into the future though. Are they hoping both sides tire each other out and the population votes rationally by the time the day actually arrives?

i'd rather have seen the referendum happen much more quickly. This is just going to drag it out for a whole year +

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Hmm...

I get the impression this gay marriage referendum (despite opinion polling showing a lot of support) is going to have a lot of sparks flying!
    Should be an interesting period of Irish political history.

The Government have set the date way too far into the future though. Are they hoping both sides tire each other out and the population votes rationally by the time the day actually arrives?

....they're not that far gone.

• Advertisement

Corkfeen wrote: »
    You've yet to illustrate why his distinctly conspiratorial quotes aren't homophobic.

Are you saying gay people who oppose gay marriage are homophobic? His language was OTT. As I said, about what I expected from the Indo.

Advertisement