Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Waters quits BAI

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Manach wrote: »
    The withdrawal of Mr. Waters, an excellent and insightful writer- means that the conservative and moderate voice is even less heard in the context on the downturn of the morals in Modern Ireland and the surge of growth of the extremist secular life and the culture of relativity.
    As for being called homophobic, surely a badge of honour as it betokens not following the same progressive group-think that emerges when there is any criticism of homosexual behaviour.

I'm a conservative moderate. Waters is a loo-lah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

This John Waters and the American film producer John Waters would really hate each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The same four or five people leap on every thread that concerns gay people, to make swipe after swipe after swipe at gay people - and then play innocent when their homophobic leanings are challenged.
    So cowardly. If they just said "Look, I have a problem with homosexuality" it would be way less pathetic.

There was no rant, he just made a comment based on John Waters' own behaviour. You know this fully - your comment is pointless.

"Look at me everyone - I've done an illogical u-turn on my views; what a maverick I am!" sums him up.

Indeed. Explains why himself and Eoghan are great friends. Although they would say it was a logical progression due to growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Indeed. Explains why himself and Eoghan are great friends. Although they would say it was a logical progression due to growing up.

"logical progression" to joining in the culture of cronyism. "Senator" harris got 280,000 of tax payers money for a few minutes of kissing berties arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This John Waters and the American film producer John Waters would really hate each other.

I love John Waters, the man is an absolute legend in every way ;)
    I pride myself on the fact that my work has no socially redeeming value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Nodin wrote: »
    "logical progression" to joining in the culture of cronyism. "Senator" harris got 280,000 of tax payers money for a few minutes of kissing berties arse.

i don't think Eoghan would see it that way;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

How could I forget that he went to prison over not paying a parking fine because he was 16 minutes late.

also found that quote someone was looking for earlier
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=86358614&postcount=22
    Robbo wrote: »
    I'm just waiting on him to find a way of blaming this on women and atheists.

Remember, this is a man who was deemed less sane than Sinead O'Connor when it came to custody of their child.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Manach wrote: »
    The withdrawal of Mr. Waters, an excellent and insightful writer- means that the conservative and moderate voice is even less heard in the context on the downturn of the morals in Modern Ireland and the surge of growth of the extremist secular life and the culture of relativity.
    As for being called homophobic, surely a badge of honour as it betokens not following the same progressive group-think that emerges when there is any criticism of homosexual behaviour.

Sorry, is this the same John Waters who helped create a child out of wedlock with Sinead O'Connor and then cut contact with her eight weeks into the pregnancy? Where were his concerns about morals and the sanctity of marriage then?

He's a hypocrite, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Didn't he later try to use her subsequent depression as grounds for the custody case? As Robbo has said, the courts still found Sinead a more satisfactory parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭tawnyowl

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I do believe he has a hatred of keyboard journalists, like bloggers and posters. He would prefer that opinions and comments be by professional self opinionated journos like him.

He's written that he doesn't write for the Irish Times online edition, but for the Irish Times print edition. That decision is above his pay grade!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

tawnyowl wrote: »
    He's written that he doesn't write for the Irish Times online edition, but for the Irish Times print edition. That decision is above his pay grade!

Deciding when to breathe in and when to breathe out is above his furkan pay-grade.

I've often wondered if his awareness that his better-known namesake is a famous gay film director makes him so grumpy.

What's the word for a hatred of famous film directors?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

vitani wrote: »
    And have a read of this for how he got the job in the first place.

http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/when-john-waters-met-eamon-dunphy-1.1554145

Can I just mention Dunphy here. Scourge of "official Ireland", fearless defender of the "little guy", that is when he's not "brunching" (FFS) with Sean Dunne and Bertie.
    Nice.

(I know, I know, way off topic - but it jumped out of the article at me.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Why do we have to put "gate" after every "scandal"

Fair point. One of these days there will be a scandal about Gates (physical or Bill). We're all fcuked then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

John Waters is no loss off of the BAI. What has John Waters ever done? Supported the US invasion of Iraq and thus the deaths of millions, the rise of dictators in other places, increased terrorism and the most serious recession since the 1930s. If that was not enough, he has expanded his neocon political dreams into his songs, most notably his Eurovision composition from 2007. I'm sure he was singing about the invasion of Iran here .... Iran would not have got the poor and weak capitulating to the revolutionary guards Ahmadinejad if Bush had not been going around threatening everyone btw (it is no coincidence that now under more moderate US president, Iran also has a moderate and stronger president). And if that wasn't enough, he complains that all bloggers apart from himself of course are idiots and then he reacts to this Panti guys remark. Fair enough, it may be below the belt but Waters has done himself no favours by reacting to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

D1stant wrote: »
    Fair point. One of these days there will be a scandal about Gates (physical or Bill). We're all fcuked then

Gate after every scandal. The original was Watergate, which forced Nixon to resign. Since then, we have had Irangate (that nearly blew the lid off of the West's dealings with anti-commie forces, their true and more complex relations with Iran's 1980s Revolutionary Guards regime and their penchant for prolonging the Iran-Iraq war), Monicagate (Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky's affair), etc, etc, etc.

In Ireland, we SHOULD have: Watersgate indeed and Irishwatergate as well :)

How could I forget that he went to prison over not paying a parking fine because he was 16 minutes late.

Clearly not a man to be trifled with - hardened by a whole two hours in Wheatfield Prison!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

tawnyowl wrote: »
    Clearly not a man to be trifled with - hardened by a whole two hours in Wheatfield Prison!!!

Those fingertips are made rock-hard by endlessly rooting through "My First Phillosophy Thesaurus" - he may well be able to kill with a single deadly blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

Gate after every scandal. The original was Watergate, which forced Nixon to resign. Since then, we have had Irangate (that nearly blew the lid off of the West's dealings with anti-commie forces, their true and more complex relations with Iran's 1980s Revolutionary Guards regime and their penchant for prolonging the Iran-Iraq war), Monicagate (Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky's affair), etc, etc, etc.

In Ireland, we SHOULD have: Watersgate indeed and Irishwatergate as well :)

Advertisement