Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitchikers Guide to 'going to Cannes'

Options
  • 23-01-2014 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

We thought it might be best to put a guide to going to cannes thread for those who are first time travellers or just plain lazy like Ladno. Anyone who is on the fence..... I would highly recommend the trip. It was really good fun and most who went levelled up.

Getting there.
    Flying is the recommended way of travelling to anywhere outside of Ireland. You can of course drive, get the boat etc but for a 5 day trip, you don't want to be travelling for 3 days between there and back. We generally fly Aerlingus to NICE airport. This worked out at approx 130 squids when you include bags and/or travel insurance. Ryanair also travel to Nice airport but I would rather chew razor blades than travel with them, given a choice. Most of us travel on the Wednesday and back on the Monday (26/2 - 3/3) although there is a Friday flight that might get you in on time - not 100%. All in all, we have breakfast of champions in the airporto and when we get there we get a bus to Cannes. For the life of me I cannot remember how much this was but it wasn't some stoopid Bus Eireann fare.

useful links for this part
    www.aerlingus.com
    www.ryanair.com

Myself and Zoomyzoom are on the Aerlingus flight on the Wednesday if people want to get the same one.
    Franceland-bound
    Flight EI0544 - Wed 26 Feb 2014
    Departs: Dublin-Terminal 2 (DUB) 11:45
    Arrives: Nice-Aerogare 1 (NCE) 15:15

homebound
    Flight EI0545 - Mon 03 Mar 2014
    Departs: Nice-Aerogare 1 (NCE) 15:55
    Arrives: Dublin-Terminal 2 (DUB) 17:35

Staying there
    We (the whole tournament it seems) usually stay at the Cannes Beach hotel. Their website is, as seems to be usual for continental hotels, pretty rubbish but booking.com etc all have it listed. There are multiple room types available from 1 room sleeps 3 to 3 room sleep 9 or similar.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/fr/cannesbeach.en-gb.html?sid=07e682ba87108880b3bbee51c0ff9ec4;dcid=1

The above link is for booking.com but I am pretty sure there a few places you could book it on but we all stay here. Its nice, clean and whilst their manner leaves a lot to be desired, I think that's more of a French thing than a problem with just this hotel. The costs for this really depends on how many are in the room but realistically, with a full capacity, it works out at less than 100 for the 5 nights, which is pretty damn good imho

All in all, once we rotated where the party was, they couldn't keep up :p Shout outs to my friend who wanted to not be our friend.

The Venue & Schtuff
    The venue itself is the cannes conference centre thingy. Its just off the main bay/harbour/boatpark for rich peoples boats. It is about a 30 min walk along the coté or 5 mins on the bus. Follow the masses and you will find it.

Links for the Venue
    palaisdesfestivals.com
    Click me, I'm a map

Vlogs.
    As you can see, this was littered with various aspects only some of which involved actually playing the game. 2010 - 2013

Additional Thoughts
    There are a few who have done this trip a few times so if you are interested in coming along and/or need to ask a question, feel free.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

If you bring console equipment, be wary of whether or not you let people know. Players will ****ing storm your room and never leave.

If you wanna be the popular girl in school, great. If you want sleep, stick to Street Fighter on the 3DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

bagsy not the fishfinger

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Lythero

Shotgun/dibs on couch.

Fishfinger beds are for gay fishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭ladnopoka

everyone should go, great craic. BTW Im up for staying in a room with as many people as possible I dont mind at all.

also im not lazy wtf aj fu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

ladnopoka wrote: »
    everyone should go, great craic. BTW Im up for staying in a room with as many people as possible I dont mind at all.

also im not lazy wtf aj fu

I'll try anything to put you on tilt :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Lythero wrote: »
    If you bring console equipment, be wary of whether or not you let people know. Players will ****ing storm your room and never leave.
    Definitely watch this. Took us forever to get Mago and Ryan Hart to go home that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Just noticed that flights have gone up a little bit (nearly 20 euro) since yesterday. Just thought I'd let ye know ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Hey, Has anyone booked accom yet?

Hey, Has anyone booked accom yet?

Yup, you having difficulty or fishing for sharing?

DSC03321-b7634b989c97c406f5dd5c04989adf5d-670x400-100-crop.jpg

• Advertisement

You should come along on Sat to R2C Vol II and scope out who is going and what the room sitch is. Mine is full unfortunately.

We will be sending the raffle winner as well so it might work best if you shared a place with that person maybe? We can chat on Sat.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Goody2shoes15

I totally forgot about the random rendition of banana phone. Lol.

I'm so sad I can't attend this this year. For two years it was my favourite holiday session ever, stupidly good fun, even for a spectator. Will have to drik twice as much alcohol next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

Will have to drik twice as much alcohol next year!

If memory serves, that could be lethal.
    For any and all of us.

Allright I'm looking for a room in the cannes beach hotel, is there a room that has been booked and is not full? If theres no places to stay im just gonna book a room in the cannes beach hotel so I'm looking for people to stay in that room with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

ladnopoka wrote: »
    im just gonna book a room in the cannes beach hotel so I'm looking for people to stay in that room with me.

I'll take a bed in that room!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Me too.

Ok, so 3 people room for now? ill book it tomorrow if no one else wants to join

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

Maybe wait til Sat? See who wins the raffle and if anyone else is still interested.

for costs sake it would be extremely helpful if the raffle winner could be one of those in a say, 4/5 person room. I know this is dependant on a few things but I'll sort it out on Sat

ok, sat it is then

• Advertisement

ladno i want in on that

Booked my flights:

Franceland-bound
    Flight EI0544 - Wed 26 Feb 2014
    Departs: Dublin-Terminal 2 (DUB) 11:45
    Arrives: Nice-Aerogare 1 (NCE) 15:15

homebound
    Flight EI0545 - Mon 03 Mar 2014
    Departs: Nice-Aerogare 1 (NCE) 15:55
    Arrives: Dublin-Terminal 2 (DUB) 17:35

Booked a hotel room for 4-5 people on my name

Booking details 5 nights, 1 apartment
    Check-in Wednesday, 26 February 2014 (from 17:00)
    Check-out Monday, 3 March 2014 (until 10:00)

afaik people in this room are: Myself, Chopper, Ramza and Dave.

Registered for singles

http://www.gametoo.com/tournaments/1002#players

Now its time to make our 3v3 team. :D

I'll join any 3v3 team. How many are up for forming some teams. If we have 6 then we can make the best 2 configurations based on character type, players etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Will register later today. Get hype

Ramza wrote: »
    Will register later today. Get hype

I think we just need two people to register a 3v3 team and then we can pick over there. Has anyone already done that?

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

I'll play 3v3 marvel and can make up ae numbers if needed

Advertisement